Whispering_Jack

12 hours ago, Vineytime said:

Curtain at 6

Best mid available at 11 

So it’s Curtain’s for Caddy…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 2021 said:

Zero Hanger - 2023 AFL Mock Draft: Picks 1-27 (first edition)

https://www.zerohanger.com/2023-afl-mock-draft-picks-1-27-first-edition-144723/amp/

8 - Sanders

15 - Windsor

Yes this is a really well thought out walk through. Can’t argue with many inside the top 15. If we got Sanders and Windsor, imv it would be a big win for the Dees.  

• Like 3

If we don't trade our first pick up higher, Sanders is the best realistic option. We need to replenish our midfield talent. Trac, Clarry, Viney and Bradshaw are all getting on now, and there's no next wave of elite midfield talent behind them. Sparrow and a few others look like they'll continue to form part of a midfield rotation, but the top end needs more coming through. Sanders is the most rounded and best performed midfielder in this draft. He's a classy player and looks like he'll have a great career. Gotta get him in and red and blue.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

If we don't trade our first pick up higher, Sanders is the best realistic option. We need to replenish our midfield talent. Trac, Clarry, Viney and Bradshaw are all getting on now, and there's no next wave of elite midfield talent behind them. Sparrow and a few others look like they'll continue to form part of a midfield rotation, but the top end needs more coming through. Sanders is the most rounded and best performed midfielder in this draft. He's a classy player and looks like he'll have a great career. Gotta get him in and red and blue.

So when Petty goes to Adelaide at the end of 2024 and May retires at the end of 2026 and "Trac, Clarry, Viney and Bradshaw" are all still playing, will Sanders be playing key defence?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, old55 said:

So when Petty goes to Adelaide at the end of 2024 and May retires at the end of 2026 and "Trac, Clarry, Viney and Bradshaw" are all still playing, will Sanders be playing key defence?

No, but Turner might. Understand where you are coming from but question marks over Brayshaw and also Clarry, Viney a warrior but getting on also. But right now our premiership window is still open, our backline is not an issue. To take that next step we need a bit of class and polish and I believe some speed as well to help with that connection between our mids and forwards. We have also lost midfield depth with Dunstan, JJ and Harmes we need to replenish mids for the now. Next year trade or draft for Key Position Defenders. 

Edited by Dee Viney Intervention
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, old55 said:

Adams and Jefferson might play those positions 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, old55 said:

Is Petty leaving? Has May announced his retirement? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

26 minutes ago, old55 said:

Ollie Murphy is being tipped by Twomey to go around 20.

If we trade up and get a pick back, it should get him if we want him.

Also Turner x 2 and Adams are our depth at the moment for key backs, and if we take one this draft and again next year, or a FA, or trade one in, that should cover us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

I would take Windsor at 11 if first if available of the mids as he is a very attacking outside mid who kicks goals and breaks lines. Just what we need an outside runner to provide a big difference. Caddy or Curtin if available at 6 (or whatever ) as a key position/ mid option would be best.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Ollie Murphy is being tipped by Twomey to go around 20.

If we trade up and get a pick back, it should get him if we want him.

Also Turner x 2 and Adams are our depth at the moment for key backs, and if we take one this draft and again next year, or a FA, or trade one in, that should cover us.

Plus Tommo. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 58er said:

Plus Tommo. 

I see Tomo, BBB, Tom Mac and Melk as the obvious delists next year at this stage.

So I don't think Tomo will be around in 25.

If Laurie fails to have an impact in 24 he will be another.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I see Tomo, BBB, Tom Mac and Melk as the obvious delists next year at this stage.

So I don't think Tomo will be around in 25.

If Laurie fails to have an impact in 24 he will be another.

Agree that Tomo, BBB and TMac off the list next year, so would that not mean we would be looking this year at the best tall to replace one of those guys, O'Sullivan / Curtin etc. ???

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, old55 said:

Irrelevant. Matches are won in the midfield and elite midfielders win premierships. We won a grand final with May on one leg whilst Petracca was the match winner. There are other options to play key defence. Pies just won a flag with Moore and Murphy as key defenders. Moore is weak as my grandmother one on one. Murphy is a b grader. Neither had an influence in the grand final. They wouldn't have won the flag however without Daicos and Degoey and Sidebottom running amok.

Take the best talent we can at draft, and luckily he's a midfielder also if he lasts until 6.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Irrelevant. Matches are won in the midfield and elite midfielders win premierships. We won a grand final with May on one leg whilst Petracca was the match winner. There are other options to play key defence. Pies just won a flag with Moore and Murphy as key defenders. Moore is weak as my grandmother one on one. Murphy is a b grader. Neither had an influence in the grand final. They wouldn't have won the flag however without Daicos and Degoey and Sidebottom running amok.

Take the best talent we can at draft, and luckily he's a midfielder also if he lasts until 6.

Call me in 2027 when Petty (playing for Adelaide) and Curtin are AA key backs and Sanders is moving to play for Tasmania's inaugural team.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, old55 said:

How quickly people are jumping on this being Petty farewell season astounds me. Ignoring the fact he has 2 years of contract a lot can change for him personally and professionally. As can Adelaides interest and ability to pay the price to get him out of final year of contract.

As far as defensive stocks, even if the case Is that not why we have D Turner and Adams drafted? If we really want to take swing all of Weitering (UFA), Sam Taylor (RFA) and Charlie Ballard (RFA) are out of contract before we look at trading for someone else in in contract. Additionally plenty of cases of mature key backs filling needs quicker than developing elite mids. I would state confidence we have quality key backs is a lot more than confidence we have our next elite mid. 

I am not stating we should take a mid at all costs. Take best available but if the difference is a top tier mid or top tier defender its the former for me. 

Edited by Lil_red_fire_engine
  • Like 8
  • Clap 1

35 minutes ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

Agree that Tomo, BBB and TMac off the list next year, so would that not mean we would be looking this year at the best tall to replace one of those guys, O'Sullivan / Curtin etc. ???

Forward: Petty, JvR, ?J. smith, ?Jefferson
Backs: May, Lever, D Turner, Adams, ?K Turner 

I think we can replace veterans with cheap depth pieces.

But we have a decision to make in the draft whether we target talls with the doubt hanging over Petty or if we think we can land a trade target if/when he goes as a like for like.

I think these picks are too important, especially pick 6 to bring needs in to the equation. We need quality, we can address the needs as they come

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, old55 said:

Call me in 2027 when Petty (playing for Adelaide) and Curtin are AA key backs and Sanders is moving to play for Tasmania's inaugural team.

Petty is a contracted demon and Curtin is an interstate player from WA and just as likely to go home as Sanders or Petty?

We've also got pick 11 and I dare say we can get a decent KPD there, but less likely to get the elite mid.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Petty is a contracted demon and Curtin is an interstate player from WA and just as likely to go home as Sanders or Petty?

We've also got pick 11 and I dare say we can get a decent KPD there, but less likely to get the elite mid.

I think the go home factor for Tassie lads will be greater than any other state. There will be enormous pressure on them to do so. Also great financial rewards and the AFL will create a clear pathway for them to do so. 
I listened to a couple of interviews Sanders has given. He comes across very well and a great professional. He’s father is massively involved in grass roots footy here in TAS. 
I think his flight risk is greater than other players for these reasons. 
Now we may get handsomely compensated if he does choose to go home but that’s not clear yet either. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Colm said:

I think the go home factor for Tassie lads will be greater than any other state. There will be enormous pressure on them to do so. Also great financial rewards and the AFL will create a clear pathway for them to do so. 
I listened to a couple of interviews Sanders has given. He comes across very well and a great professional. He’s father is massively involved in grass roots footy here in TAS. 
I think his flight risk is greater than other players for these reasons. 
Now we may get handsomely compensated if he does choose to go home but that’s not clear yet either. 

Agree with this, personally wouldn't be drafting any Tassie kids in first round.  The lure to play for the Tasmanian team will be to much so no point developing players to get around the same pick for them in 3 years

• Like 2

Probably should pick the 1st best Victorian available to us in the draft rather than a higher interstate player.

Theyre turning out to be more trouble than theyre worth. As soon as they become established players their home town clubs start sniffing around and hiding in trees outside his house tossing bags of sweets over the fence.

Curtin and definitely Sanders are flight risks. AFL wont hesitate to kick us in the face and flick Sanders to Tassie.

Why take the risk!  Pick a Vic.lol

MFC should never deal with those slimey Crows and Flogmantle knobs.

Edited by Deebauched
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

That's what I was saying, in answer to a post saying we needed mids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1