POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Adelaide

Demonland

1 hour ago, Hawny for Gawny said:

Thank you, this is a team that should have beat Collingwood 2x and their wins were gritty and tough. While ours is disappointing? Come on

I think a lot of people, myself included, admire the come from behind victory which the Pies tend to do pretty regularly (for the record I hate it when they do it). Falling over the line, not so much. We did steady under extreme heat though, which is pleasing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Not enough is being made of the fact that we have been without arguably the best player in the competition for close to 3 months now. Oh and missing our best forward and one of the best medium forwards in the competition.

We just do not appreciate what a loss Oliver is. That we’ve managed to beat 2 top 4 teams without him is bloody excellent. 

Very few sides would cover this type of loss for as long as we have. 

Let's throw a valuable defender on top of that today. 

• Like 4

Next week changes- 

Over the shoulder no look handball (looking at you Hunter)

Was hard to really sum up that game watching it live. I think considering our forward half connection was average, we still nearly put on 100 which was pleasing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, layzie said:

I thought there were times when our zone was perfect and they cut us with some really good skill. 

Very good side in the making.

Hopefully one of the learnings for Goody is that the zone doesn’t work when you don’t put pressure on the kickers (ie in our forward 50). We really need to stop falling back and relying on a zone to defend leads.  If we do it in a prelim or gf against the pies then it will be gifting them a flag.

• Like 4

Too much bombing it into forwards and allowing intercepts. When we lowered the eyes, or went quickly we looked so much better.

All those turnovers, then giving up the corridor as they played quickly, hurt us. When we held them up we controlled the game. We have to be able to stop those quick plays, we just don't transition well when it happens fast. Must also be ready when a team decides to "take it on".

Played well when we had too. The stoppages worked well.

Our process to ice the game worked OK. Still needs a bit of work to make sure we find the boundary. 

Don't like the handballs to players in bad positions. 

Thought we were going to tackle well, when pregame we focused on it. Pressure was good, just couldn't hold them.

A good win, with entertainment value of a close game. Glad we hit back at the right times and held on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just my opinion but I'm nearly convinced that Kozzie is a midfielder/forward rather than a forward/midfielder

His first half was dynamic and for centre square stoppages especially, he's the man ... so is Oliver obviously, but Clarrie is currently unavailable

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

Just losing to Collingwood was their best, not their worst. Today was close to their best.

Agreed. I'd have hoped Melb were significantly better than Adeliade's best, given we are 4th and hoping for another flag

But 4 points is always a good outcome 

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, von said:

What was the initial free for in the pocket? I had no idea at the ground.  He also didn’t give melksham much time to get on the mark. Considering we could have had a few 50s go our way they chose not to pay.  Dubious umpiring with that one I thought. Get it out of our forward line and open the game back up for them.

I actually couldn't work it out Von

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jontee said:

Trac had 26 disposals and Taj 7.

I know he did Jontee but he was pretty poor today. It was his mistake that led to the first goal and he just wasn't on at all (and I'm a big fan)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Another great impact game from smith who is now closing in on his longest run of games ever. I think we are exceptionally lucky to be able to use a player whose athletism is clearly afl standard but whose endurance never has been. Exposing smith to full games may never again be problematic but this man has had a treacherous career plagued with injuries. Happy for him to own the sub role and get through the year playing a quarter a week. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Control the game, let it slip, control the game let it slip, control the game let it slip. I suppose we should console ourselves that they were unlucky to lose to Collingwood by a similar margin. Seriously what is the psyche of a side that regularly plays better against the top sides yet consistently struggles to beat the also rans', We'd better be prepared because we have to play sides that will be desperate to play finals.

• Like 1

Our forward line has to be:

Kozzy JVR Melksham / Fritta

Chandler J Smith ANB (Woey bench)

Just dont have room for BBB and / or Grundy to feature.

Gawn has found a bit form in the forward line recently so I’d be up for one last crack of Gawndy before finals but I’d keep in JVR and J Smith - maybe Woey goes. 

Big question on Tommo into next week as he played another solid game today. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

I know he did Jontee but he was pretty poor today. It was his mistake that led to the first goal and he just wasn't on at all (and I'm a big fan)

Petracca took a big hit early on and was on his knees for a while trying to recover.

Not saying it’s the reason but wouldn’t surprise me.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, von said:

What was the initial free for in the pocket? I had no idea at the ground.  He also didn’t give melksham much time to get on the mark. Considering we could have had a few 50s go our way they chose not to pay.  Dubious umpiring with that one I thought. Get it out of our forward line and open the game back up for them.

It was for a push

Melksham (I think) pushed the Adelaide player over line and they ended up close to fence

I thought very little in it at all, but Adelaide player stayed down a few seconds and sucked umpire in, so instead of a ball in, ghere was a free

Melk then stood the mark about 5m out, ump yelling at him to come back to level with end of the square... He was oblivious to it... Just a brainfade

Kossie's 50 just as dumb, confusing handover of who was going to mark the malr, Kossie went and stood the mark about 2m over the actual mark, ump paid 50m immediately 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Yes, I'm aware they beat the Saints.

Nice try

Doesn't change their ladder position, hence finals chances

Or is that in dispute as well?

No I’m asking who do you think is a better side? Because the Saints are 6th and they are, IMO, rubbish. 
Adelaide are inconsistent because they’re young. But they are a much better side than Saints. Ladder position aside. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, rufus said:

This is exactly right. And it's getting way too close to the pointy end for us still to be lapsing in that regard. If we can't apply that pressure to a finals level consistently then we'll have simply wasted another season in a way that was in our control. 

Agree.

But we are not fully wound up yet, and haven't got our best 22 in yet. 

Spargs to come back in the next game or two, chin to play closer to goal, brodie back and of course clarry and fritter back too

We are two games and percentage clear of 5th, so top 4 is a lock - which really is massive this far put.

Premierships are won in September not July. And we are in great shape, poor inside 50 pressure notwithstanding (it's worth noting it was good in the first 9 games, so no reason to think it won't be moving forward).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, loges said:

Control the game, let it slip, control the game let it slip, control the game let it slip. I suppose we should console ourselves that they were unlucky to lose to Collingwood by a similar margin. Seriously what is the psyche of a side that regularly plays better against the top sides yet consistently struggles to beat the also rans', We'd better be prepared because we have to play sides that will be desperate to play finals.

Crows are a good team. Season on line expected nothing less today. 

• Like 6