GAMEDAY: Rd 15 vs Geelong

Demonland

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Let’s just get the job done. Win this and we consolidate our grip on a top four spot and go a long way towards damaging the Cats’ finals hopes. 

Go Dees.  

win win win

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I am confused by the confidence.

Yes on paper we are a better side. They are missing some key players, but playing in Geelong always means they have the upper hand, especially in terrible conditions.

We SHOULD win, but when you play them it's never more than a 50/50 proposition.

Their season is one loss away from death. They know that and will come out super hungry.

Yep. This isn't a gimme by any stretch and even if Geelong were bottom 4 I'd still see it as a tough scenario.

Rhys Stanley in, can see him doing a good double act with Blicavs and Scott pulling something unexpected. We need to be ready for anything they throw at us. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, layzie said:

Scott pulling something unexpected. We need to be ready for anything they throw at us. 

This.

Do NOT underestimate Chris Scott and his ability to do his homework on a team and exploit any weaknesses. He doesn't get caught napping and he will be all over us if we play predictable.

Hopefully we continue our 2023 tactical form of mixing things up.

I'm more confident going into this match than I have been in past matches against the Cats but that could fly out the window very early if the Cats get a fast start like they did last week. Hopefully they run out of gas like they did last week but we can't bank on that. Teams always seem to find another gear against us. Look at Freo the other week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

Cat are tough to beat at home but even tougher in cold wet conditions over there. It will be a win for the ages if we pull it off.

Hope we haven't used all of our win for the ages tickets out at Kardinia Park but if we have I will still be content with this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 8

17 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Hope we haven't used all of our win for the ages tickets out at Kardinia Park but if we have I will still be content with this one.

The beginning of a beautiful story

I will never forget lying on the floor in my living room, refusing to watch him kick that goal and my husband just screaming “he’s done it” and I started ugly crying like a complete psycho. 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Love 5
  • Haha 7

I agree that there were some strange selection choices for this game. I thought Melbourne were committed, at least for the short-to-medium term, to playing Petty up forward so on that basis it made sense to bring Petty in for Smith. Maybe they have changed their view and now believe Smith is a better option up forward. Or is it just for one week given likely rain and Geelong's 3-pronged attack?

I can't really understand the outrage at Tommo being dropped. I agree he had a great game against Collingwood but looking back just one week was totally outplayed by Harry Mackay. The argument presented following the Carlton game was that Tommo was important to our structure  and freed up Jake Lever. I agree with that but for me it's a no-brainer. You would always pick Petty ahead of Tomlinson and Petty had to come back in. Petty is a better player than Tomlinson and will provide the same structural support to our defence. If Petty had come in for Smith the same argument would have applied. Would Smith have deserved to be dropped? Petty had to come on for someone.

For me the strange one is Bowey not coming straight back in. They've dropped Spargo but replaced him with JJ which is reasonable but they had to find a spot for Bowey. He's definitely in our best 22 and was over his concussion concerns apparently. And he's not evenly listed as a possible sub?? I'm assuming Woewodin will be sub. BBB being named as an emergency seem strange. He didn't play against Collingwood VFL despite not being listed as injured and yet now he's a potential in against Geelong. Strange.

15 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

The beginning of a beautiful story

I will never forget lying on the floor in my living room, refusing to watch him kick that goal and my husband just screaming “he’s done it” and I started ugly crying like a complete psycho. 

I carried on so much my kids all got woken up and my wife thought the house was being burgled.

There was a robbery but we were the perpetrators.

This video is the best portrayal of how that match went down. We are the old man in this scenario. Obviously

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Deenooos_ said:

Good opportunity today to bank another win against a struggling cats outfit and make our charge for top 2. 

Pretty confident we will get it done but it will be a slog, especially if it rains. Let's hope we don't put together another wet weather performance like we did against the bombers.

Dees by 22 point, come on!

We were awful in the wet against the bombers, and Tommo was probably our worst.  I wonder if that has anything to do with his non selection for tonight.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

I agree that there were some strange selection choices for this game. I thought Melbourne were committed, at least for the short-to-medium term, to playing Petty up forward so on that basis it made sense to bring Petty in for Smith. Maybe they have changed their view and now believe Smith is a better option up forward. Or is it just for one week given likely rain and Geelong's 3-pronged attack?

I can't really understand the outrage at Tommo being dropped. I agree he had a great game against Collingwood but looking back just one week was totally outplayed by Harry Mackay. The argument presented following the Carlton game was that Tommo was important to our structure  and freed up Jake Lever. I agree with that but for me it's a no-brainer. You would always pick Petty ahead of Tomlinson and Petty had to come back in. Petty is a better player than Tomlinson and will provide the same structural support to our defence. If Petty had come in for Smith the same argument would have applied. Would Smith have deserved to be dropped? Petty had to come on for someone.

For me the strange one is Bowey not coming straight back in. They've dropped Spargo but replaced him with JJ which is reasonable but they had to find a spot for Bowey. He's definitely in our best 22 and was over his concussion concerns apparently. And he's not evenly listed as a possible sub?? I'm assuming Woewodin will be sub. BBB being named as an emergency seem strange. He didn't play against Collingwood VFL despite not being listed as injured and yet now he's a potential in against Geelong. Strange.

who would you drop for Bowey though? we are solid down back. Bowey will be back next time Hibbo needs a rest or if Judd’s form drops 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Demonland said:

just watched this again. serious goosebumps and i still yelled YESSS! when Maxy kicked it

iconic moment. first minor premiership for 58 years

• Love 3

47 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I especially enjoyed the pained look on Hawkins face when Max marked. Classic!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Just landed after delays/cancellations in the US west coast. I am cooked but will take a long nap and be ready to support the boys tonight! Go Dees!!! 🔴🔵

Welcome home.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DubDee said:

who would you drop for Bowey though? we are solid down back. Bowey will be back next time Hibbo needs a rest or if Judd’s form drops 

I agree it's a difficult one. Essentially though we need to accomodate Bowey, Oliver & Petty in the team somehow. Maybe the club is just being ultra-cautious. Earlier in the season they left Spargo out for an extra week following a concussion. It seems to me we have an abundance of half-bank flankers in the side and playing 3 talls in the backline plus Salem & Hibberd makes it difficult to accomodate everyone. Again, maybe they thought it was time to select JJ in the starting team and this was the way to do it. Who do we drop for Oliver when he (eventually!) comes back? 

23 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I carried on so much my kids all got woken up and my wife thought the house was being burgled.

There was a robbery but we were the perpetrators.

This video is the best portrayal of how that match went down. We are the old man in this scenario. Obviously

I got the biggest shot of adrenaline and leaped so high I nearly hit the ceiling. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1