NON-MFC: Rd 09 2023

Demonland

Geelong, Hawthorn, Essendon and Carlton losing, with us on top overnight. It doesn't get any better than that, other than if we added Collingwood to the losers list tomorrow.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, layzie said:

You definitely can recruit for durability with medical history, injury history, general make up and then all the sport science things like BMI, muscle mass and plenty of the tests done at the combine to determine bodies that would hold up well to the rigours of AFL footy. The 2014 draft is a great example of this, why did St Kilda pick Mccartin no.1 with his previous health issues over Petracca? It's something they do in the NFL a lot and without knowing too much about the Eagles situation it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for a team like Melbourne to build their list with priority on strong bodied midfielders who can hold up to the physical side of the game week in week out while another team focuses on the finesse and flash but looks past the fact that they sat out half their Under 17 or 18 year with a knee injury or number of soft tissue injuries. There has to be a reason why so many top 15 picks each year seem to fall to the 2nd and 3rd round where the Eagles pounce. There' no right or wrong way to go about it and they won a flag doing so but I doubt that every club approaches the draft in the same way. 

The thing is it's never just the older players, every year West Coast's injury list is always perfectly balanced between the old, the mid range and the young. The number of under 24 y.o's they have there with less than 50 games experience is quite alarming. 

What evidence that they value flashy talent? You don't think the likes of Ryan, Petruccelle, Jetta, Rioli in their flag year were flashy? Trading the farm for Tim Kelly? Choosing the flashier Natinui over Watts? Mcgovern, getting Petrevski-Seton in etc There's plenty of evidence that they like the flashy players Sydney_Demon and it's one of the reasons they were always good to watch. It's a little naive to put these things totally down to bad luck and bad management especially when we have next to no idea how they work internally but it's never just 1 or 2 things. I think their recruiting should be closely examined as well. 

I'm not sure who you're responding to in regards to the Eagles tanking, I didn't say anything about that.

Sorry layzie. I know you didn't say anything about tanking. There are just so many posters throwing comments in about West Coast (and Hawthorn) tanking and I couldn't resist throwing in my views. I should have done it as a separate post.

I also recognise that of course you can assess players using all the factors you have listed. I just have no idea whether West Coast do or don't do that, or whether Melbourne do or don't (nor do you as you have admitted). I would assume this is something every club would do as a matter of course. You say its naive to think that their current predicament is just due to bad luck and/or bad management. Why is it naive? It's quite possible and surely just as likely as your theory.  I'm sure just like Melbourne West Coast attempt to recruit the best mix of players they can to produce the results they want, and I don't accept that they choose flashier players just because they are flashier. I'm not saying their players don't have a tendency to be flashier than other teams, just that that's not the reason they selected them. I'd be amazed if it was.

I'm no West Coast fan but it's interesting everyone piles on after the fact despite the reality that prior to the last few games of the 2021 season they had a fantastic record over many years, a record Melbourne would have been ecstatic to match.

2 hours ago, ANG13 said:

Pretty good Saturday, we win and both Essendon and Carlton lose. 

Could we ask for anything better? Oh, yes: The Filth go on a rambling losing streak across the season from this point. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, dees189227 said:

That final quarter was really good to watch as a non supporter of both teams.

Thank goodness Brisbane finally put their foot down and put Essendon away 

Would’ve preferred that Essendon beat Brisbane given Brisbane are a genuine top 2 chance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BDA said:

Genius it is.

Who's you're upset tip for next weekend? 

Not prepared to commit to it but for some reason I think Carlton could get some revenge on Collingwood and they finally have a game where it all clicks.

The other potential upset is Freo beating Geelong at home if Geelong don’t get anyone back aside from the suspended Close.

7 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

He would be in the first eight picked at melbourne every week.

Gawn, Trac, Oliver, Viney, Pickett, May, Lever, Fritsch… yeah…. Nah he wouldn’t.

I doubt he would get a game, firstly he wouldn’t suit our work ethic and as a small forward I’d rather chin, Spargo and Pickett.

Edited by Gorgoroth
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, A F said:

Geelong, Hawthorn, Essendon and Carlton losing, with us on top overnight. It doesn't get any better than that, other than if we added Collingwood to the losers list tomorrow.

Hopefully Crows get the job done over Saints as well. That will be great. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

He would be in the first eight picked at melbourne every week.

7 hours ago, picket fence said:

NO HE WOULDN'T 🤮

3 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Gawn, Trac, Oliver, Viney, Pickett, May, Lever, Fritsch… yeah…. Nah he wouldn’t.

I doubt he would get a game, firstly he wouldn’t suit our work ethic and as a small forward I’d rather chin, Spargo and Pickett.

Okay, ok, okay @picket fence and @Gorgoroth . . . I've conceded a 50 metre penalty here and I'm getting the Razor Ray "tell it to the hand" treatment. Fair enough. I recon he'd be in our best 23 then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

No different to the last 3 seasons really. But we know when it all falls apart for them. 

Probably not any different, just gotta treat with caution. Our return game with them will be interesting.

39 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I can’t see Brisbane beating Collingwood or Geelong in a grand final.

I can certainly see them making a grand final should they finish top 2 and host/win both their GABBA finals.

There’s a team called Melbourne who look alright too.

• Like 1