PODCAST: Steven May Interview

Demonland

I'll be interviewing Premiership Demon defender Steven May on the Demonland Podcast tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon. If you have any questions that you'd like Steven to answer let me know below. I'll post the interview here some time on Wednesday evening so look out for it wherever you get your podcasts.

Podcast Thumbnail Large Steven May.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

I’d like to know how intimidated you are, Andy?

I’m not sure whether he’d actually answer honestly but I’d like to know how he feels about 1 on 1 defending of years gone by versus the modern zoning.

Is it difficult to wrap your head around the fact that your direct opponent could kick goals that have very little to do with your own efforts?

Edited by BW511
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BW511 said:

I’d like to know how intimidated you are, Andy?

Not at all. As his Player Sponsor I've met him a couple of times and had dinner with him at the Season Launch. He's a lovely guy. I'm not intimidated at all interviewing him. Having said that I would not want to be going for a mark with him barrelling towards me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

We've noticed his issues with bending over, so keen to know if he feels his fitness is currently a 'work in progress'.

Obviously don't expect him to say specifically, but definitely keen to know if it is something he is working through as the season progresses.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

22 minutes ago, Palace Dees said:

I'd love his opinion of Disco Turner. Also, anyone else on the list, whether playing at Casey or in the first 22 as a forward, that strikes him as a possible small to medium backman option.

For me, i am curious about Deakyn Smith, watching Casey he seems to be progressing well and has been working hard for quite a while. Had some stand out classy moments against Box Hill last week imo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How has the game changed since he started playing. 

Does he think opposition teams have worked out how to play against the defensive structure we had in 2021 and have we had to adjust for that.

The gameplan appears to be more attacking this season has this impacted on how effectively they can defend. WE have conceded 102pts more this season than the last two seasons.  

Can he give us some examples of the sort of changes they have made mid game to counter something different an opposition is doing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’d be keen to understand how hard he is on himself- he sets incredible Standards for the back 7 and marshals the defensive unit, how does he manage/evaluate his own performances and does he let stuff get to him?  How does he manage this in game and out of games?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Assuming that he has trained on them all in match sims, who of the Melbourne KPFs would Steven least like to have as his direct opponent on match day, and why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

May comes to us in season 2019 and we finish 17th with 5 wins. His season was interrupted by injury.

Tom Lynch moves to Richmond in 2019 and wins a flag.

In 2020 he had a stellar season and hasn't looked back since. How did he feel at the end of 2019?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Its Time for Another said:

The gameplan appears to be more attacking this season has this impacted on how effectively they can defend. WE have conceded 102pts more this season than the last two seasons. 

We've only conceded 100 pts twice between 2021-2023.

Against the Bulldogs in 2022 and Essendon in 2023.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Demonland said:

We've only conceded 100 pts twice between 2021-2023.

Against the Bulldogs in 2022 and Essendon in 2023.

I'm talking total points conceded up to round 7 of each of the past 3 seasons. Funnily enough we had conceded exactly 434pts in both 2021 and 2022. This year it is 536. 

• Like 2

I have never really heard him talk about his aboriginality.

I'd be curious to know more about his people and country.

And id be interested to know what role, if any, he has with young Aboriginal players like Kozzie.

And a related question is his thoughts on why it was so important to Kosie that the club involved his family in the contract negotiations. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Its Time for Another said:

I'm talking total points conceded up to round 7 of each of the past 3 seasons. Funnily enough we had conceded exactly 434pts in both 2021 and 2022. This year it is 536. 

I think that is a function of the higher scores across the board.

I'd be willing to bet the for and against differential is more this year than in 2021 and 2022

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Its Time for Another said:

Cheers. Just re-read your post. I assume it's an artifact of the faster more attacking gameplan but I will get his take on it because in the past they would not have wanted to concede more than 60-70 points a game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I’d be interested to know if he has any good recommendations for French restaurants in Prahran?

I'd rather know how many French dishes he can name

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, binman said:

And a related question is his thoughts on why it was so important to Kosie that the club involved his family in the contract negotiations. 

Very much a Dorothy Dixer

• Haha 1

If an opportunity arises for some lighthearted chat, I'd like to know what gets on Rick Lever's nerves. And then, once Rick is down, what Steven does to make things that much worse for him. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 4