Kysaiah Pickett on report

McQueen

Leigh Matthews was wary when asked whether players owe their opponents a duty of care.

“On the footy field, your duty of care is to play to the rules,” Matthews said.

This must be a joke !!! Leigh Matthews what a joke. His king hit on Peter Giles was one of worst hits of all time. 
And the Neville Bruns incident must be wiped from the history books. Matthews was a great footballer but a thug as well. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Macca said:

Time will tell IRW

Of course,  so wouldn't it be nice to close the " please please please.." thread.

Anyhow it seems the Club thinks that 2 weeks was a fair penalty.

Funny about that

8 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Leigh Matthews was wary when asked whether players owe their opponents a duty of care.

“On the footy field, your duty of care is to play to the rules,” Matthews said.

This must be a joke !!! Leigh Matthews what a joke. His king hit on Peter Giles was one of worst hits of all time. 
And the Neville Bruns incident must be wiped from the history books. Matthews was a great footballer but a thug as well. 

Stephen Smith says hi ... 

• Like 3

Seems we now have our nice open ended fluffy precedent that should make things clearer for everybody. That’s until it involves a power club, untouchable player or it’s during the finals or some other flimsy yet to be introduced defence.

We have taken it on the chin, so our predicament is over.

So we can sit back and watch the predictable one week low profile penalties for certain entities and individuals and heavy handed AFL chest beating ‘message senders’ to be absolutely frightened by. 

No matter that the perpetrators of two unconscious players  with concussion got one week. One of the perpetrators with a rap sheet as long as your arm who the media are ship frightened to dal with properly.

What a farce.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I think we all agree that what Kosi did was poor and that if he hurt Smith, he'd be spending 4-6 weeks on the sidelines and rightly so.

I LOVE Kosi. Everything about him is magic, including the way he plays on the edge. He scares the living daylight out of the opposition for so many reasons, and it makes him that much more of a special player. But like Viney, playing on the edge sometimes comes with consequences. I didn't like Viney putting a GC player in a choke hold 2 years ago, and I don't like seeing Kosi leave the ground to bump someone high. If Smith did that Kosi, I'd also want him suspended, regardless of outcome.

I am sure Kosi knows what he did wasn't right, and he will learn from it. Unfortunately for him, the days of Uncle Byron are long gone. You must have duty of care, and when you see what someone like Gus (and many other Melbourne players, especially Daniel Bell) have gone through with concussion, it is absolutely correct and necessary.

What gets me riled up is the absolute disgraceful 'superstar tax' that keeps getting applied to the likes of Buddy. While Kosi's action looked worse, the consequences of Franklin's actions WERE worse. Both deserve the same penalty, but one is the darling of the AFL, and one is a Melbourne player. 

We have to be unbiased here, Shane McAdam is likely to cop a big bigger ban for a similar incident. The impact was greater but it was closer to a fairer bump than Kozzy's, I think he's also benefited from the super star tax also.

Kozzie lucky to get 2. Could have been 3. Dangerous action but his body language indicated he knew straight away he had stuffed up.

Buddy only gets 1 due to the unwritten 'do not disadvantage Sydney Swans' philosophy. Refer Barry Hall in a Grand Final precedent.

Edited by Deepfreeze
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, IRW said:

He hasn't signed and the season has begun.

The historical odds are really obvious 

Angus was upfront saying publicly that he was looking at his options 

Not a word from Pickett/ Jackson.

The other big signings were already committed players nearing their peak (well almost)

I imagine most player managers tell their clients not to say anything publicly about their intentions. I don't know what Brayshaw's manager advised, but he (Brayshaw) is more articulate and intelligent than most players and was more mature than either Pickett or Jackson when he made his comments. 

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IRW said:

Anyhow it seems the Club thinks that 2 weeks was a fair penalty

Did the club say it was a fair penalty?  I must have missed that memo

And as much as people were concerned about the brain-fade, Kozzie has taken his game to a new level by the looks of it with a greater edge to his game

And I welcome that as the stars work to a different agenda.  He's possibly going to cross the line occasionally with that mindset

But for the most part, he can be a difference-maker

Edited by Macca

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

And as much as people were concerned about the brain-fade, Kozzie has taken his game to a new level by the looks of it with a greater edge to his game

And I welcome that as the stars work to a different agenda.  He's possibly going to cross the line occasionally with that mindset

It's frustrating to have him out especially with the next two teams we are facing. I did admire that he didn't disappear after the incident but rather seemingly played even better. I'm sure he will learn from it and come back and continue to star. Just hope it's with us for the next ten years.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

It's frustrating to have him out especially with the next two teams we are facing. I did admire that he didn't disappear after the incident but rather seemingly played even better. I'm sure he will learn from it and come back and continue to star. Just hope it's with us for the next ten years.

If it's about the money (as it was with Jackson) then the club will come to the party this time

You can upgrade from Jackson to Grundy but I'm not sure you can even replace a unique talent such as Kozzie

And why shouldn't any player angle for the cash? It's often a once in a lifetime opportunity and if we're all honest, we'd do the same

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Macca said:

It will also be interesting to see how we go without him, Macca. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McQueen said:

It will also be interesting to see how we go without him, Macca. 

Well we've now got about 30 bona-fide AFL standard players* and we've just dispatched a rival contender (Doggies) with 4 gun players out ... so we should be ok! 🙂

Competition for spots is at a premium and there's nothing wrong with competition within the ranks

Good players are playing for their spot

It's getting to a point where motivation is key ... and we look nice and hungry, Steve

*A far cry from the dark days

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Macca said:

Well we've now got about 30 bona-fide AFL standard players* and we've just dispatched a rival contender (Doggies) with 4 gun players out ... so we should be ok! 🙂

Competition for spots is at a premium and there's nothing wrong with competition within the ranks

It's getting to a point where motivation is key ... and we look nice and hungry, Steve

Footscray are just making up numbers in the eight... and this year that's only a maybe.

They need a new coach even more than North did when Scott somehow kept them from  a wooden spoon

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Well if they didn't think the report and penalty was on line with the rules they would have appealed. 

Surely?

They don't have to "say" anything and it's not like cricket where you only get 3 challenges.

Edited by IRW

I just watched a different angle of the incident and Koz straight away but both his hands up and said ‘sorry mate’ to Smith. Smith got up and gave him a tap to let him know he’s ok, and all is good.

He knew straight away it was wrong. This is why he’s not challenging it. He can’t say he didn’t think there was anything in it when he apologised immediately.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I just watched a different angle of the incident and Koz straight away but both his hands up and said ‘sorry mate’ to Smith. Smith got up and gave him a tap to let him know he’s ok, and all is good.

He knew straight away it was wrong. This is why he’s not challenging it. He can’t say he didn’t think there was anything in it when he apologised immediately.

Hashtag newfound respect for Bailey Smith. 

until he does something to blow that respect to smithereens. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
For a minute I forgot who I was talking about
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IRW said:

Footscray are just making up numbers in the eight... and this year that's only a maybe.

They need a new coach even more than North did when Scott somehow kept them from  a wooden spoon

The Doggies are a definite top 8 contender maybe even top 6.  I wouldn't be writing them off

7 minutes ago, IRW said:

Well if they didn't think the report and penalty was on line with the rules they would have appealed. 

Surely?

They don't have to "say" anything and it's not like cricket where you only get 3 challenges.

In the current climate the club might have got advice that they had little chance on appeal

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Macca said:

32 minutes ago, Macca said:

To fully appreciate the place the MFC currently finds itself, you need to never forget the dark days. A bit like the War. With the MFC remember how much time and effort has been spent resurrecting the club and breathing fresh life into a near corpse like body. The pride in our performance has taken years to grow. It needs to be nurtured and sustained so that the shadow of failure is extinguished but never forgotten. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Macca said:

In the current climate the club might have got advice that they had little chance on appeal

Yep true  ..and if it was a week before a Prelim then the odds probably would have shifted the other way.

That's how all  " courts" work to some degree

Just now, hemingway said:

To fully appreciate the place the MFC currently finds itself, you need to never forget the dark days. A bit like the War. With the MFC remember how much time and effort has been spent resurrecting the club and breathing fresh life into a near corpse like body. The pride in our performance has taken years to grow. It needs to be nurtured and sustained so that the shadow of failure is extinguished but never forgotten. 

I'm not hanging on to the past Ernest, I just made a reference to it

Besides which, that beacon light is always there in terms of what not to do

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

I'm not hanging on to the past Ernest, I just made a reference to it

Besides which, that beacon light is always there in terms of what not to do

Good stuff Macca. I just think it’s important for committed supporters to fully appreciate present times and not to get too far ahead of ourselves. 

• Like 1