PREGAME: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

If the dogs play the 4 talls what do we do? Do we change our A1 lineup? Knowing goody the answer would be no, but it has the potential to mitigate the gawn/Grundy forward thing if one of them has to swing back to play on a 200cm forward. 

May - Naughton

Petty - Lobb (I actually think Petty's weakness is ruck-forwards so I'm not hugely comfortable with this and would prefer he switches with May)

Lever - JUH?  Or Darcy?

Darcy - ?????  Rivers/Hibberd/Mcvee?? Anyone of them will be giving away a lot of height

I'm not convinced their strategy will be a resounding success but in general, the only forwards that kick a lot of goals on our backline are ruck-forwards. They've almost got 3 or 4 of them...

4 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

If the dogs play the 4 talls what do we do? Do we change our A1 lineup? Knowing goody the answer would be no, but it has the potential to mitigate the gawn/Grundy forward thing if one of them has to swing back to play on a 200cm forward. 

May - Naughton

Petty - Lobb (I actually think Petty's weakness is ruck-forwards so I'm not hugely comfortable with this and would prefer he switches with May)

Lever - JUH?  Or Darcy?

Darcy - ?????  Rivers/Hibberd/Mcvee?? Anyone of them will be giving away a lot of height

I'm not convinced their strategy will be a resounding success but in general, the only forwards that kick a lot of goals on our backline are ruck-forwards. They've almost got 3 or 4 of them...

The Midfield takes supremacy and those tall forwards should have a quiet night. 
Games can change, but I wouldn’t be changing the back line too much 

But of course Once the game starts, all plans could thrown in the bin!!

13 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The Midfield takes supremacy and those tall forwards should have a quiet night. 
Games can change, but I wouldn’t be changing the back line too much 

But of course Once the game starts, all plans could thrown in the bin!!

Yeah I should have added that against the dogs, I think we'd be foolish to assume midfield supremacy. Dunkley and hunter aside it still bats very deep esp. if bont spends more time in there. 

I suppose my point is we often don't overload our backline and rely on our exceptional kpds to win 1v1s. They might lose quite a few to 4 200cm forwards...

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

He’s very smart, a beautiful short to medium kick and when committed a very good runner.

But don’t overreact to a couple of preseason games when he’s been desperate to make a good impression.

For one, we have to hope his commitment goes all year (and beyond). And his lack of burst speed and strength at the contest will both be tested at times.

He’s potential a great help for Langdon but we also have to be prepared for teams running Blicavs through the wing and needing Hunter to go back or forward or Langdon forward to get a taller wing. Hopefully the coaches have plans for that. 

Yep, Smith..

30 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

May - Naughton

Lever - JUH?  Or Darcy?

It's a great question and we need to be weary of Lobb who destroyed us last year as a Docker at the G - albeit May went off at quarter time and then out defensive structures fell apart.

Infact Naughton defeated May in round 1 and JUH destroyed us in round 19 so they're all very capable.

Whilst all 4 of their talls may start in the forward line at the opening bounce, there will be times when only 3 of them are in the forward line at the one time, because English will need to be relived in the ruck when he's on the bench and the 4 forwards themselves will need some bench time throughout.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

Yeah I should have added that against the dogs, I think we'd be foolish to assume midfield supremacy. Dunkley and hunter aside it still bats very deep esp. if bont spends more time in there. 

I suppose my point is we often don't overload our backline and rely on our exceptional kpds to win 1v1s. They might lose quite a few to 4 200cm forwards...

It is something to be wary of especially if English runs through there. Can't see us changing selection though, I'd think we'll back in the A-team with occasional Max/Brodie drop backs. 

1 hour ago, fr_ap said:

We have to keep it out of their Forward Line. First use of the ball is critical. Hopefully Rivers and Sparrow are ready. They both look ripping fit 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fr_ap said:

And when the ball hits the ground? They risk being cut to bits on the rebound. Go Dees!

• Like 2

We had a massive training session  at Casey today according to an article on AFL Live. 
Good news is that Salem is on track to make an early season return. Apparently it was an extensive match simulation. We need a report.

Good news for Dees defender, key pair still in R1 doubt

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

We had a massive training session  at Casey today according to an article on AFL Live. 
Good news is that Salem is on track to make an early season return. Apparently it was an extensive match simulation. We need a report.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/881413/good-news-for-melbourne-demons-defender-christian-salem-key-pair-bayley-fritsch-and-jack-viney-still-in-r1-doubt

By the sounds of the article I think we need to project our round 1 sides without Fritsch and Viney, but expect them to be key ins for the Brisbane game.

After what happened last year and the talk of playing underdone/injured players, I can't imagine the club playing Fritta with literally no practice match or match simulation for probably a month leading into the Dogs game.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

By the sounds of the article I think we need to project our round 1 sides without Fritsch and Viney, but expect them to be key ins for the Brisbane game.

After what happened last year and the talk of playing underdone/injured players, I can't imagine the club playing Fritta with literally no practice match or match simulation for probably a month leading into the Dogs game.

Yep. The Forward line has been working very well so far this year. No need to rush anyone back early

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fr_ap said:

May - Naughton

Lever - JUH?  Or Darcy?

I'd play Disco Turner he can play tall and small. I'd have him ahead of the unlucky McVee.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

32 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If Fritsch is out I'd bring in Chandler from the sub and make McVee the sub presuming Disco plays.

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

We are very scarred by the playing of underdone players last year.

All optics! If Fritta can walk he'll play, Viney on the other hand we have reasonable cover for

• Like 1