Perception of usernames

Skuit

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

😲

In Search of Space is a masterpiece

I never got into their albums, but my “awful band” comment was referring to their live performance that I saw at London’s Roundhouse. Maybe my opinion was a result of all of the mandied out ‘husks’ that I had to keep dodging as they were falling over themselves throughout the show, but I just couldn’t get into them at all.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:40 PM, Gorgoroth said:

These first bands are known as second wave Black metal, but only in retrospect. They were influenced by bands like Venom and Bathory, now known as first wave, but really not similar at all. 

In saying that, Black metal can be fast, slow, heavy, depressing, beautiful, pagan etc etc, unlike a lot of genres it has no real set structure. 

But interestingly Black metal is the closest musically written and structured as classical music. 

Emperor - I am the black Wizards

Dark Throne - Transylvania Hunger

Cradle of Filth - Her Ghost in the fog

Gorgoroth - Prayer

Satyricon - black crow on the tombstone

Rotting Christ - Raven

Immortal - Tyrants

Dark Funeral - Artrum Regina

These bands followed those above.

Wolves in the throne room - I will lay down my bones or Diadem of 12 stars

Kampfar - Det Sorte

Wodensthrone - That which is now forgotten 

Moonsorrow- suden tunti 

MGLA - Exercise in futility V

Drudkh - Solitude

Der Weg Einer Freiheit- Aufbruch

None - Wither

Imperium Dekadenz - Ave Danuvi 

Hulder -  Purgations of bodily corruptions 

Suldusk - Nazare

Darkher - where the devil waits

Veitah - Tajamnica Tajamnic

I’m only scratching the surface and have left out many bands, but tried to get a spread of various styles and be aware a lot don’t sing in English

Thanks Gorgoroth - it was educational.

I liked some of it - Black Crow, Tyrants, Ave Danuvi.  Suldusk is very accessible and clearly my favourite there - no surprise I guess because she's a bit of an outlier I think.  I confess I didn't listen to all the songs on your list in their entirety.

Outside of Suldusk, my playlists are unlikely to change, but my Spotify recommendations are likely to be interesting for a while based on the searches I did from your list.

I do appreciate there's a place for the genre and if it didn't exist someone would need to make it. Cheers.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, old55 said:

Thanks Gorgoroth - it was educational.

I liked some of it - Black Crow, Tyrants, Ave Danuvi.  Suldusk is very accessible and clearly my favourite there - no surprise I guess because she's a bit of an outlier I think.  I confess I didn't listen to all the songs on your list in their entirety.

Outside of Suldusk, my playlists are unlikely to change, but my Spotify recommendations are likely to be interesting for a while based on the searches I did from your list.

I do appreciate there's a place for the genre and if it didn't exist someone would need to make it. Cheers.

Mate, I’ve known people for 30 years who wouldn’t even try and listen, massive kudos to you. Open minds are rare these days.

Suldusk are a Melbourne band, she wrote that whole album herself and then has formed a band since, she is currently doing vocals for a new album. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

must say i was wondering who this user named black metal was 🤣

I check in every now and again only to find out that the discussion has moved on to how good the new Fetid Putrescence album is or that the Necrophiliac Spawn are playing at Satan Fest next year. Fascinating stuff. 

Edited by Rab D Nesbitt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

I check into every now and again only to find out that the discussion has moved on to how good the new Fetid Putrescence album is or that the Necrophiliac Spawn are playing at Satan Fest next year. Fascinating stuff. 

lol, i've just finished reading a number of stuart macbride books and starting to understand scottish people, and now i am having to understand black metal! I'm seeing a lot of similarities, lol

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

lol, i've just finished reading a number of stuart macbride books and starting to understand scottish people, and now i am having to understand black metal! I'm seeing a lot of similarities, lol

I'm thankful I don't have to deal with at least one of those issues Daisy. 

• Haha 3

On 10/26/2022 at 5:39 PM, WalkingCivilWar said:

@Demon_spurs I love your avatar, the cutest little demon baby, and just wondering if that’s your child? 

2 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

I think the name of this thread will need to be changed. I don't think anyone has mentioned someone's username since page 2. 

I tried Rab, I tried. 😭

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

I think the name of this thread will need to be changed. I don't think anyone has mentioned someone's username since page 2. 

I’ll get the thread back on track.

My username is inspired by Melbourne wingman Ed Langdon.

Edited by Edward Langdon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 12

45 minutes ago, Edward Langdon said:

I’ll get the thread back on track.

My username is inspired by Melbourne wingman Ed Langdon.

Gee I would never have guessed😁!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Ok, mine came from an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies.

• Haha 3

Heart Beats True the unexpected clubhouse leader of the 'username' thread. 

I spoke to a member of the Wu-Tang once on the phone, still no idea which one. I've also spoken to Sean Connery on the phone. And was once swallowed up in a hug from Chali 2na, who insisted on buying me drinks all night. 

Writing an article for Penthouse and on the phone to a Melbourne-based producer when Wu-Tang rocked up to the studio. It sounded rowdy, and then one of them grabbed the phone and started gabbing away, super-excited he was on the phone to Penthouse. 

Sean called the music store I was running to see if I could send him a Billie Holiday cd. Took a while to convince me that he was Sean Connery (I was acquainted with his ex-wife so he managed to persuade me) - said that people not believing he is him was the curse of his life. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 2

9 hours ago, 4_Kent_Watts said:

Now that Dean and Jack no longer play AfL it might be time to change my username. What are the guidelines for doing so. 

And two worthy players at that. I was at Dean’s final match (Round 23 vs. Syd) and although we were there to cheer on the Saints, for us it was pretty much the Dean show. I reckon we gave him more love than the Saints supporters did. 😂

So to change your username you go into your profile and next to your avi is a little symbol like this ⚙️. You click on that and… change away!

It’s a little hard to spot so here’s a pic of it…

7E455BAB-59AC-4972-B725-2C5B65EF3B3F.thumb.jpeg.2e54d5543d44ba9607798bd7e3409538.jpeg

BUT…

Choose wisely since you have to wait a month before you can change it again. It’s more important than naming your kid. Coz with your kid you can change it the next day if you want, or anytime. (Looking at you, Gryan Miers’ parents).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Roger Mellie is inspired by 'Roger Mellie the Man on the Telly' a character from Viz magazine. 30 years ago I thought it (the magazine more so than the RM character) was pretty funny, not so much now. I probably should change my name, but I wouldn't want other posters to lose sleep over where Roger went.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

I probably should change my name, but I wouldn't want other posters to lose sleep over where Roger went.

Roger who?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Friends of mine in Geelong inform me his siblings have shockers too!

There’s names as terrible as “Gryan”????

I know he has a brother and a sister but I don’t know their names. Maybe Gruce and Gridget?

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Jaydy and Ryger. Not even joking. 

So Gryan is the least terrible name in his family and now I’ve forgotten all that’s good in the world. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

There’s names as terrible as “Gryan”????

I know he has a brother and a sister but I don’t know their names. Maybe Gruce and Gridget?

I think they are Irish. I believe they’re called Giobhan and Gadraig.*

*I feel like in doing this I’ve uncovered the secret to Tolkien’s naming conventions.

• Haha 1