Jump to content

Phantom Drafts Thread 2022


WERRIDEE

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CarnTheDees said:


We don't have a good track record of drafting the second best key forward in the draft just because we were desperate for key forwards at the time. I haven't seen any Jefferson footage - does it remind of Lucas Cook at all?

Lucas Cook was from a different time and different era. Not much sophistication in drafting strategy back then compared with today. From what I recall Cook was a good size in height and weight and looked better ready for afl than what I see with Jefferson. Unfortunately there was a bit of Tarzan Jane look about him after we recruited him. I think Jefferson might be a lesser version of Cook. Josh Schache might be a better comparison. Having said all that I might be a bit harsh.

Edited by djr
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, djr said:

Lucas Cook was at a different time and different era. Not much sophistication in drafting strategy back then compared with today. From what I recall Cook was a good size in height and weight and looked better ready for afl than what I see with Jefferson. Unfortunately there was a bit of Tarzan Jane look about him after we recruited him. I think Jefferson might be a tolesser version of Cook. Josh Schache might be a better comparison. Having said all that I might be a bit harsh.

From what I remember Lucas Cook was just big and not very mobile or agile, at least Josh Schache has the mobility and the agility.

For those of my era Paul Fanning son of Fred Fanning was big and strong but lacked mobility or agility to make it but he was a star in the U19.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope we are trying to find a big strong, brave, strong marking CHF like say J Brown , Carey or N. Riewoldt. Jefferson doesn’t strike me as that type at all.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12. WESTERN BULLDOGS Mattaes Phillipou
190cm Fwd/Midfielder, SA
13. WEST COAST Ed Allan 194cm Midfielder, WA
14. MELBOURNE Matthew Jefferson
195cm Forward, VIC
“The second-best key forward in the draft behind Cadman, Jefferson is firmly in the sights of the Demons if he is still available. Key forwards are the weak spot in Melbourne’s list. Jefferson’s marking ability is his weapon and he has improved his goal kicking this year. Likened to Essendon’s Harrison Jones, he booted seven goals from eight kicks against WA.”


23. WESTERN BULLDOGS Brayden George
185cm Forward, VIC

 

Funny, in this phantom draft the Dogs take the two blokes I am interested in.

Then Max Gruzewski, who I also have an interest in, goes after the Dogs second pick.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interestingly the article mentions that we are very keen on Ed Allen who they have going to West Coast at the pick before us. Doesn't surprise me as we do seem to love a bolter, I wouldn't hate it as he's a raw prospect with high upside similar to Jefferson but don't think he'll get past West Coast as they are desperate to take home grown talent. 

I think if Jefferson gets past St Kilda he'll probably get to our pick as Blues and Dogs don't need key forwards and West Coast will be taking WA players. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't red the article but does it discuss why Elijah Hewitt is missing? Cal Twomey had him as the 2nd highest ranked WA player less than a month ago, yet doesn't seem to be in the HS top 25? Interesting as we get closer and starting to get whispers... 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All I know for sure is that the player that JT selects is unlikely to be named as the player we will select in a Phantom draft. I haven't seen a phantom draft with an accurate prediction on a demons pick in the past few years. Although in 2019 the media did start to twig on Jacko getting very close to draft day, for the longest time we were linked to Young and Weightman though. I never heard us linked with Bowey and Laurie in 2020 and Howes was supposed to go in the first round in 2021. I'll be interested to see ho we do pick up, we should be getting nearly close enough for actual leaks to start coming out.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


26 minutes ago, FlashInThePan said:

All I know for sure is that the player that JT selects is unlikely to be named as the player we will select in a Phantom draft. I haven't seen a phantom draft with an accurate prediction on a demons pick in the past few years. Although in 2019 the media did start to twig on Jacko getting very close to draft day, for the longest time we were linked to Young and Weightman though. I never heard us linked with Bowey and Laurie in 2020 and Howes was supposed to go in the first round in 2021. I'll be interested to see ho we do pick up, we should be getting nearly close enough for actual leaks to start coming out.

We were linked to Laurie, Oliver, Jackson, Pickett off the top of my head in Cal Twomey's phantom drafts.

I know some say we don't let on who we're selecting reality is we actually have a very fair idea who we may select. 

Twomey is extremely respected amongst Recruiters and player managers hence why he gets more right then wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We were linked to Laurie, Oliver, Jackson, Pickett off the top of my head in Cal Twomey's phantom drafts.

I know some say we don't let on who we're selecting reality is we actually have a very fair idea who we may select. 

Twomey is extremely respected amongst Recruiters and player managers hence why he gets more right then wrong.

As I said, people started speculating on Jacko very close to the draft. It seemed something leaked around the last week from memory. in 2020 Knightmare had us picking Sam Berry and Issiah Winder. According to this: https://www.afc.com.au/news/841315/cal-twomeys-2020-phantom-draft-top-30-late-picks-your-clubs-whispers Cal Twomey had us linked to Caroll and Max Holmes and Laurie going to GWS. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigMacjnr said:

Haven't red the article but does it discuss why Elijah Hewitt is missing? Cal Twomey had him as the 2nd highest ranked WA player less than a month ago, yet doesn't seem to be in the HS top 25? Interesting as we get closer and starting to get whispers... 

Good get. No way he slips out of the top 25.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, FlashInThePan said:

As I said, people started speculating on Jacko very close to the draft. It seemed something leaked around the last week from memory. in 2020 Knightmare had us picking Sam Berry and Issiah Winder. According to this: https://www.afc.com.au/news/841315/cal-twomeys-2020-phantom-draft-top-30-late-picks-your-clubs-whispers Cal Twomey had us linked to Caroll and Max Holmes and Laurie going to GWS. 

Knightmare is a shocker..

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, FlashInThePan said:

As I said, people started speculating on Jacko very close to the draft. It seemed something leaked around the last week from memory. in 2020 Knightmare had us picking Sam Berry and Issiah Winder. According to this: https://www.afc.com.au/news/841315/cal-twomeys-2020-phantom-draft-top-30-late-picks-your-clubs-whispers Cal Twomey had us linked to Caroll and Max Holmes and Laurie going to GWS. 

Knightmare has no insight into what the clubs are actually thinking, he just selects based off rumours and his own rankings. I have no doubt we would’ve picked Holmes if Geelong didn’t trade up 1 pick in front of us (hence why they did it because we would’ve taken him). Carroll seems to be a miss but was passed on by basically every club until Carlton took him. GWS in that year took some bolters that no one predicted at all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey all, I have put some rough thoughts into a mock draft for the first two rounds. I do not expect this to be accurate in anyway and doesn't factor in potential pick swaps between now and the draft. I have not done in depth player profile analysis/descriptions as that has been largely covered by MadAsHells previous phantom draft on page 3.


Nascents 2022 Phantom Draft

ROUND 1

1.  Brisbane - Will Ashcroft - Mid - 182cm 76kg - (f/s matched bid) 

Prolific ball winner that wins ball inside and outside of the contest and knows where the goals are. The question here is if GWS will bid on Will or if they select the man they traded up for in Aaron Cadman. I think GWS will keep Brisbane honest and make them pay full price, considering they lost 3 midfielders in Hopper, Taranto and Bruhn I'm sure they would be more than happy to take Ashcroft should he have been available (sans go home concerns).

2.  GWS  - Aaron Cadman - Key Forward - 196cm 88kg

The best KPF in the draft with impressive marking ability both on the lead and in contests situations as well as fantastic second efforts once the ball hits the ground. Strong speculation in the media that he is their man. Go home factor supposedly limited due to him being from the country .

3.  North    - Harry Sheezel  Medium Forward/mid - 184cm 77kg

There's not much North don't need but have gone for the medium mid/forward in Sheezel who brings class forward of centre as well as capacity to go through the middle. Not as explosive as some, but perhaps the player with the highest IQ and skillset and hits the scoreboard regularly.

4.  North - George Wardlaw - Mid - 182cm 81kg

Injury has limited his exposure but with his combination of a strong inside contested game with explosive athletic traits will see him taken high. Has drawn some comparisons to Clayton Oliver with Wardlaw showing impressive vision in-tight in the contest and able to release handballs quickly to teammates in space. Has suffered multiple hamstring injuries which may put question marks on his durability.

5.  Essendon    - Bailey Humphrey - Mid/forward - 185cm 86kg

Strong powerful mid that hits the scoreboard regularly with 21 goals in 11 NAB league games. Gone against the grain a little here and can see the dons overlooking the outside midfielder in Tsatas.

6.  Gold Coast  - Reuben Ginbey - Medium defender/mid - 189cm 85kg

Started off as a 3rd tall lockdown defender before transition to being an inside mid where he thrived in the contest. Ginbey has the great combination of high level endurance and speed/power. Said to not be a great flight risk which GC might factor in when considering other players.

7.  Hawthorn - Elijah Tsatas - Mid - 186cm 79kg 

Simply too good to pass up here as a high production midfielder with a real turn of speed. Predominantly plays outside but doesn't look out of place in the middle. Could easily go higher.

8.  Geelong  - Jhye Clarke - Mid - 181cm 77kg

The easy selection here. Strong competitive contested player that provides leadership. Appeals due to the retirement of Selwood as well as an ageing midfield in Duncan, Guthrie and lesser extent Danger (as he spends more time forward). Considered Phillapou, Busslinger and Jefferson here among others.  

9.  West Coast - Mattaes Phillipou - Mid/forward - 192cm 89kg

A taller midfielder, has too much talent to let him slide any further for mine. Has plenty of upside with his athletic ability and is fantastic overhead making him a dangerous threat forward. Will most likely spend most of his time as an inside mid which is where I've decided to focus their rebuild around with their first early selection. 

10. St Kilda - Jedd Busslinger - Key Back - 196cm 82kg

Plays predominantly as an intercepting defender but does have the ability to shut down opponents as well. I simply don't rate most of St Kildas defensive unit and with Lyon now on board I can see it being an area of focus despite holes all over their list. McKenzie a possibility here being an NGA member but have overlooked for now. 

11. Carlton - Oliver Hollands - Outside mid - 183cm 71kg

An elite runner and outside winger, Carlton have been looking to fill this position for a while. Acres is a decent stop gap but I don't think will be their long term solution.

12. Bulldogs - Cameron McKenzie - Mid - 187kg 80kg

If McKenzie gets past Saints and I don't think he slides much further than here. With the departing dunkley and ageing Liberatore, I've opted for the next best midfielder. 

13. West Coast  - Ed Allen - Tall Mid - 194cm 82kg

At 194cm, Allen has so far played predominantly through the middle and wing where he has had an impressive finish to the season. I haven't seen a lot of him unfortunately and am being guided by others who have, is now being talked up as a bolter and I suspect if the eagles want him they'll have to take him here.

14. Melbourne - Elijah Hewett - Mid - 185cm 84kg

Found it hard to select for us here. Players such as Phillipou, Hollands, Jefferson, Hotton, Busslinger and even Weddle entered my thought process. As my mock took shape I've ended up settling on Hewett who will develop as the next tier of Midfielder. Another player with that desirable speed and endurance mix, he is extremely competitive which fits the Melbourne mold.

15. Sydney - Matthew Jefferson - Key Forward - 195cm 76kg

Another I had difficulty placing, at one point had him going earlier to Geelong, Saints and briefly Hawthorn with considerations for the dees, he has since slide with Sydney now a potential destination. I've placed him here due to Swans investing heavily in small/medium running types. With Franklin not having long left in the game, Logan and Amartey are left carrying the load with cameos for whichever ruckman is fit to take the field and rest forward.  

16. Brisbane - Jaspa Fletcher - Mid - 184cm 73kg - (matched f/s bid)

A cheeky second bid on a Brisbane player from GWS, Brisbane matches.

17. GWS  - Olli Hotton - Mid/forward - 181cm 76kg

A player I really like in the draft, I think he is too good a player to let go further. Quick mid/forward player who is dangerous forward where he spent most of his time earlier in the season. GWS may avoid due to potential "Vic Metro go home factor" bias

18. Collingwood - Lewis Hayes - Tall Defender - 197cm 81kg

The place I see the pies most deficient in, they take the next best rated Tall Key Defender. Intercepts well and can rebound effectively. Needs to put on muscle to improve his contested game which shouldn't be a problem over time. Was outpointed in a 1v1 by 185cm 17yr old Harley Reid a couple of times highlighting this fact.

19. Sydney  - Josh Weddle - Tall/medium Defender - 192cm 89kg

Sits only at 192cm which some view as too short for a key Defender, Weddle plays above his height with impressive athletic abilities as shown with his combine results where he tested well for running vertical leap (2nd - 90cm) and had a 2.94sec 20metre spring and 6.03min 2km run. Can play small and tall and should compliment the McCartin brothers well as Rampe ages.

20. GWS  - Brayden George - Medium Forward - 185cm 87kg

Unforunatley will sit out next year with an ACL injury, however I feel is too talented a player to let slide out of the first round. With mulitple first round picks, I can see GWS taking a "risk" on the powerful bushranger forward. 

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ROUND 2

21. GWS  - Harry Barnett - Ruck - 202cm 93kg

The best ruck in the pool, Barnett is an impressive athlete and strong contested grab, showing potential as a Key defender.

22. West Coast  - Darcy Jones - Mid - 175cm 67kg

Explosive midfeilder who, despite his size, has a strong contested game and is good in traffic. May start his career as a small forward before getting midfield time at AFL level.

23. Bulldogs - Jacob Konstanty - Small Forward - 176cm 70kg

High pressure forward who applies great defensive pressure while constantly hitting the scoreboard. Should pair up well with Weightman who is more of a lead up small.

24. Essendon - Henry Hustwaite - Tall Mid - 194cm 84kf

Essendon finally acquire a big bodied midfielder. While not a quick or powerful player, Hustwaite finds time and space and has great agility for a player his size and has neat disposal.

25. North - Max Gruzewski -193cm 84kg

One of the big question marks of the draft for me. Shows enormous potential with amazing overhead marking ability. Has played a mix of back and forward and think the Kangaroos will need to look at a tall consider a tall here given their recent drafting.

26. Essedon - Alwyn Davey - Small Forward - 181cm 77kg - (matched f/s bid) - 

 Essendon get a gift and happily match a bid with Davey sneaking past their first pick. 

27. Hawthorn - Lachlan Cowen - Medium defender - 188cm 81kg

Running half back that has a booming kick and good defensive traits. Hawks have taken multiple mid/forwards in recent draft so have gone for the defender here.

28. Collingwood - Charlie Clarke - Mid/forward - 182cm  75kg

A player I wouldn't be surprised to see taken in the first round. Strong contested forward with speed.

29. West Coast - Coby Burgial - Mid/forward - 183cm 80kg

Would have happily taken Burgial earlier in the draft but couldn't find a spot I was happy with. Yet another mid forward with speed.

30. Collingwood  - Adam D'Aloia - Mid - 186cm 86kg

Adam is as credentialed and consistent as they come as a contested inside mid with solid defensive traits. Appeared 7 times at SANFL reserves level including finals where he acquitted himself well.

31. St Kilda - Mitch Szybkowski - Mid - 186cm 86kg

Contested inside mid that may help ease the load on Steele. 

32. Adelaide - Max Michaelanney - 190cm 78kg - (matched f/s bid)

Adelaide commited to matching a bid for the 192cm defender.

33. Carlton - James Van Es - Key Defender - 197cm 99kg

Don't rate Carltons key defensive stocks outside of Weitering. Van Es provides strong intercept ability as well as stregth in the contest one on one.

34. Freemantle - Isaac Keeler - Ruck/Forward - 198cm 88kg

After loosing some talls in Lobb Louge and Meek, Freemantle could opt for a a developing ruck/forward that has some of the most upside potential in the draft. Question marks over his contested ability.

35. GWS - Harry Rowston - Mid - 182cm 78kg

Suspect this will be their last selection and have gone with their NGA product who can develop as another midfielder. 

36. St Kilda - Cooper Vickery - Medium Defender - 181cm 72kg

Has great speed and intercept ability and uses the ball well and racks up large numbers, covering the ground well with plenty of run from defense.

37. Port - Jaidon Magor - Mid/forward - 184cm 75kg

Will admit I haven't seen much of this player, but have read plenty and is getting huge wraps as a powerful mid forward that hits the scoreboard. kicked 21 goals in 10 games. Power may see a spot for the local product in the forward half with Butters to spend more midfield time, Gray retiring and Dylan Williams not coming on as expected and now delisted.

38. Melbourne   - Sam Gilbey - Medium Defender - 187cm 73kg

What to do with the Dees last pick. I have ended up siding with the Medium defender with exceptional footskills out of WA. A broken leg has ended his season early and may impact his start to pre-season. Will add depth to the defenders department that has lost Hunt and with Hibberd in presumably his final year.

 

Other players I considered in the mix at some point in the first 2 rounds.
 
Blake Drury, Jakob Ryan, Hugh Bond, Toby McMullin, Phoenix Foster, Kobe Ryan, Harvey Gallagher, Luke Teal, Ted Clohesy, Jonti Schuback, Jackson Binns, Archie Lovelock, Max Knobel, Harry Lemmey

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nascent said:

36. St Kilda - Cooper Vickery - Medium Defender - 181cm 72kg

Has great speed and intercept ability and uses the ball well and racks up large numbers, covering the ground well with plenty of run from defense.

vickery is a hawks nga prospect

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Nascent said:

He is indeed but they won't have access to him unless he gets past pick 40. Good chance he does.

midnight oversight by me, as u were 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2022 at 10:21 PM, Nascent said:

Hey all, I have put some rough thoughts into a mock draft for the first two rounds. I do not expect this to be accurate in anyway and doesn't factor in potential pick swaps between now and the draft. I have not done in depth player profile analysis/descriptions as that has been largely covered by MadAsHells previous phantom draft on page 3.


Nascents 2022 Phantom Draft

ROUND 1

1.  Brisbane - Will Ashcroft - Mid - 182cm 76kg - (f/s matched bid) 

Prolific ball winner that wins ball inside and outside of the contest and knows where the goals are. The question here is if GWS will bid on Will or if they select the man they traded up for in Aaron Cadman. I think GWS will keep Brisbane honest and make them pay full price, considering they lost 3 midfielders in Hopper, Taranto and Bruhn I'm sure they would be more than happy to take Ashcroft should he have been available (sans go home concerns).

2.  GWS  - Aaron Cadman - Key Forward - 196cm 88kg

The best KPF in the draft with impressive marking ability both on the lead and in contests situations as well as fantastic second efforts once the ball hits the ground. Strong speculation in the media that he is their man. Go home factor supposedly limited due to him being from the country .

3.  North    - Harry Sheezel  Medium Forward/mid - 184cm 77kg

There's not much North don't need but have gone for the medium mid/forward in Sheezel who brings class forward of centre as well as capacity to go through the middle. Not as explosive as some, but perhaps the player with the highest IQ and skillset and hits the scoreboard regularly.

4.  North - George Wardlaw - Mid - 182cm 81kg

Injury has limited his exposure but with his combination of a strong inside contested game with explosive athletic traits will see him taken high. Has drawn some comparisons to Clayton Oliver with Wardlaw showing impressive vision in-tight in the contest and able to release handballs quickly to teammates in space. Has suffered multiple hamstring injuries which may put question marks on his durability.

5.  Essendon    - Bailey Humphrey - Mid/forward - 185cm 86kg

Strong powerful mid that hits the scoreboard regularly with 21 goals in 11 NAB league games. Gone against the grain a little here and can see the dons overlooking the outside midfielder in Tsatas.

6.  Gold Coast  - Reuben Ginbey - Medium defender/mid - 189cm 85kg

Started off as a 3rd tall lockdown defender before transition to being an inside mid where he thrived in the contest. Ginbey has the great combination of high level endurance and speed/power. Said to not be a great flight risk which GC might factor in when considering other players.

7.  Hawthorn - Elijah Tsatas - Mid - 186cm 79kg 

Simply too good to pass up here as a high production midfielder with a real turn of speed. Predominantly plays outside but doesn't look out of place in the middle. Could easily go higher.

8.  Geelong  - Jhye Clarke - Mid - 181cm 77kg

The easy selection here. Strong competitive contested player that provides leadership. Appeals due to the retirement of Selwood as well as an ageing midfield in Duncan, Guthrie and lesser extent Danger (as he spends more time forward). Considered Phillapou, Busslinger and Jefferson here among others.  

9.  West Coast - Mattaes Phillipou - Mid/forward - 192cm 89kg

A taller midfielder, has too much talent to let him slide any further for mine. Has plenty of upside with his athletic ability and is fantastic overhead making him a dangerous threat forward. Will most likely spend most of his time as an inside mid which is where I've decided to focus their rebuild around with their first early selection. 

10. St Kilda - Jedd Busslinger - Key Back - 196cm 82kg

Plays predominantly as an intercepting defender but does have the ability to shut down opponents as well. I simply don't rate most of St Kildas defensive unit and with Lyon now on board I can see it being an area of focus despite holes all over their list. McKenzie a possibility here being an NGA member but have overlooked for now. 

11. Carlton - Oliver Hollands - Outside mid - 183cm 71kg

An elite runner and outside winger, Carlton have been looking to fill this position for a while. Acres is a decent stop gap but I don't think will be their long term solution.

12. Bulldogs - Cameron McKenzie - Mid - 187kg 80kg

If McKenzie gets past Saints and I don't think he slides much further than here. With the departing dunkley and ageing Liberatore, I've opted for the next best midfielder. 

13. West Coast  - Ed Allen - Tall Mid - 194cm 82kg

At 194cm, Allen has so far played predominantly through the middle and wing where he has had an impressive finish to the season. I haven't seen a lot of him unfortunately and am being guided by others who have, is now being talked up as a bolter and I suspect if the eagles want him they'll have to take him here.

14. Melbourne - Elijah Hewett - Mid - 185cm 84kg

Found it hard to select for us here. Players such as Phillipou, Hollands, Jefferson, Hotton, Busslinger and even Weddle entered my thought process. As my mock took shape I've ended up settling on Hewett who will develop as the next tier of Midfielder. Another player with that desirable speed and endurance mix, he is extremely competitive which fits the Melbourne mold.

15. Sydney - Matthew Jefferson - Key Forward - 195cm 76kg

Another I had difficulty placing, at one point had him going earlier to Geelong, Saints and briefly Hawthorn with considerations for the dees, he has since slide with Sydney now a potential destination. I've placed him here due to Swans investing heavily in small/medium running types. With Franklin not having long left in the game, Logan and Amartey are left carrying the load with cameos for whichever ruckman is fit to take the field and rest forward.  

16. Brisbane - Jaspa Fletcher - Mid - 184cm 73kg - (matched f/s bid)

A cheeky second bid on a Brisbane player from GWS, Brisbane matches.

17. GWS  - Olli Hotton - Mid/forward - 181cm 76kg

A player I really like in the draft, I think he is too good a player to let go further. Quick mid/forward player who is dangerous forward where he spent most of his time earlier in the season. GWS may avoid due to potential "Vic Metro go home factor" bias

18. Collingwood - Lewis Hayes - Tall Defender - 197cm 81kg

The place I see the pies most deficient in, they take the next best rated Tall Key Defender. Intercepts well and can rebound effectively. Needs to put on muscle to improve his contested game which shouldn't be a problem over time. Was outpointed in a 1v1 by 185cm 17yr old Harley Reid a couple of times highlighting this fact.

19. Sydney  - Josh Weddle - Tall/medium Defender - 192cm 89kg

Sits only at 192cm which some view as too short for a key Defender, Weddle plays above his height with impressive athletic abilities as shown with his combine results where he tested well for running vertical leap (2nd - 90cm) and had a 2.94sec 20metre spring and 6.03min 2km run. Can play small and tall and should compliment the McCartin brothers well as Rampe ages.

20. GWS  - Brayden George - Medium Forward - 185cm 87kg

Unforunatley will sit out next year with an ACL injury, however I feel is too talented a player to let slide out of the first round. With mulitple first round picks, I can see GWS taking a "risk" on the powerful bushranger forward. 

 

On 10/24/2022 at 10:22 PM, Nascent said:

ROUND 2

21. GWS  - Harry Barnett - Ruck - 202cm 93kg

The best ruck in the pool, Barnett is an impressive athlete and strong contested grab, showing potential as a Key defender.

22. West Coast  - Darcy Jones - Mid - 175cm 67kg

Explosive midfeilder who, despite his size, has a strong contested game and is good in traffic. May start his career as a small forward before getting midfield time at AFL level.

23. Bulldogs - Jacob Konstanty - Small Forward - 176cm 70kg

High pressure forward who applies great defensive pressure while constantly hitting the scoreboard. Should pair up well with Weightman who is more of a lead up small.

24. Essendon - Henry Hustwaite - Tall Mid - 194cm 84kf

Essendon finally acquire a big bodied midfielder. While not a quick or powerful player, Hustwaite finds time and space and has great agility for a player his size and has neat disposal.

25. North - Max Gruzewski -193cm 84kg

One of the big question marks of the draft for me. Shows enormous potential with amazing overhead marking ability. Has played a mix of back and forward and think the Kangaroos will need to look at a tall consider a tall here given their recent drafting.

26. Essedon - Alwyn Davey - Small Forward - 181cm 77kg - (matched f/s bid) - 

 Essendon get a gift and happily match a bid with Davey sneaking past their first pick. 

27. Hawthorn - Lachlan Cowen - Medium defender - 188cm 81kg

Running half back that has a booming kick and good defensive traits. Hawks have taken multiple mid/forwards in recent draft so have gone for the defender here.

28. Collingwood - Charlie Clarke - Mid/forward - 182cm  75kg

A player I wouldn't be surprised to see taken in the first round. Strong contested forward with speed.

29. West Coast - Coby Burgial - Mid/forward - 183cm 80kg

Would have happily taken Burgial earlier in the draft but couldn't find a spot I was happy with. Yet another mid forward with speed.

30. Collingwood  - Adam D'Aloia - Mid - 186cm 86kg

Adam is as credentialed and consistent as they come as a contested inside mid with solid defensive traits. Appeared 7 times at SANFL reserves level including finals where he acquitted himself well.

31. St Kilda - Mitch Szybkowski - Mid - 186cm 86kg

Contested inside mid that may help ease the load on Steele. 

32. Adelaide - Max Michaelanney - 190cm 78kg - (matched f/s bid)

Adelaide commited to matching a bid for the 192cm defender.

33. Carlton - James Van Es - Key Defender - 197cm 99kg

Don't rate Carltons key defensive stocks outside of Weitering. Van Es provides strong intercept ability as well as stregth in the contest one on one.

34. Freemantle - Isaac Keeler - Ruck/Forward - 198cm 88kg

After loosing some talls in Lobb Louge and Meek, Freemantle could opt for a a developing ruck/forward that has some of the most upside potential in the draft. Question marks over his contested ability.

35. GWS - Harry Rowston - Mid - 182cm 78kg

Suspect this will be their last selection and have gone with their NGA product who can develop as another midfielder. 

36. St Kilda - Cooper Vickery - Medium Defender - 181cm 72kg

Has great speed and intercept ability and uses the ball well and racks up large numbers, covering the ground well with plenty of run from defense.

37. Port - Jaidon Magor - Mid/forward - 184cm 75kg

Will admit I haven't seen much of this player, but have read plenty and is getting huge wraps as a powerful mid forward that hits the scoreboard. kicked 21 goals in 10 games. Power may see a spot for the local product in the forward half with Butters to spend more midfield time, Gray retiring and Dylan Williams not coming on as expected and now delisted.

38. Melbourne   - Sam Gilbey - Medium Defender - 187cm 73kg

What to do with the Dees last pick. I have ended up siding with the Medium defender with exceptional footskills out of WA. A broken leg has ended his season early and may impact his start to pre-season. Will add depth to the defenders department that has lost Hunt and with Hibberd in presumably his final year.

 

Other players I considered in the mix at some point in the first 2 rounds.
 
Blake Drury, Jakob Ryan, Hugh Bond, Toby McMullin, Phoenix Foster, Kobe Ryan, Harvey Gallagher, Luke Teal, Ted Clohesy, Jonti Schuback, Jackson Binns, Archie Lovelock, Max Knobel, Harry Lemmey

Interesting selections for your phantom draft.

Great stuff and plenty of food for thought.😎👍

I am going to wait a little while and then consider doing my own.

There are two main elements to consider.

1) As mentioned previously, the ultimate decision of best talent available versus needs basis requirements.

2) Do we risk taking another interstate draftee due to the "go home" factor or go for a Victorian?

Either way, I am certain Jason Taylor and the MFC recruitment staff are having these important discussions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

 

Interesting selections for your phantom draft.

Great stuff and plenty of food for thought.😎👍

I am going to wait a little while and then consider doing my own.

There are two main elements to consider.

1) As mentioned previously, the ultimate decision of best talent available versus needs basis requirements.

2) Do we risk taking another interstate draftee due to the "go home" factor or go for a Victorian?

Either way, I am certain Jason Taylor and the MFC recruitment staff are having these important discussions.

Cheers, no doubt I will look silly in a few weeks time when more draft knowledge comes out and clubs are more heavily linked to certain players.

I feel early on should be best available if it's clear cut and later picks can be tailored towards needs. I'm with Taylor on backing our program in and taking the player we like regardless of what state the originate from.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder if Harry Lemmey may come under some consideration for our pick 13?

199cm goal kicking key forward from West Adelaide who at the start of the year he was tipped to be a top 10 prospect.

Has played at senior level, reserves and under18's where he's had impact in all three grades

Showed his versatility (which our recruiters love) this year by playing down back at times and doing quiet well at times with his marking and foot skills.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CONSISTENCY by The Oracle

    "I think we have got a team that can win a premiership, and if we get in this year, I don't think there is a team that is going to want to play us. This year is not a write-off, I don't concede that. Not at all." — Collingwood President Jeff Browne. I love this sort of optimism from the Magpie President after his club’s eleven goal defeat at the hands of the fast rising Hawks. It’s consistent with the fighting spirit of the club that won last year’s flag.  I only wish I could say the s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 1

    FEARS by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s worst fears about the absence of Max Gawn were realised when it received a shellacking from Fremantle’s ruckmen Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson who dominated the hit out tally in their game at Optus Stadium on Sunday by a massive 47 to 19. As a result, the 50-point deficit at the end of the game proved to be a loss that was long foreseen that was two years in the making and demonstrated a complete lack of hindsight and planning from the club. To add insult to injury, Jackson was a D

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 3

    PREGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

    The Demons return to the MCG in Round 20 to take on the GWS Giants and will be hoping the injured Captain Max Gawn is fit to return to his role in the ruck as their season is slipping away. Who comes in and who comes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 208

    PODCAST: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 22nd July @ 7:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demonsl oss at Optus Stadium against the Dockers in the Round 19. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 38

    VOTES: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The injured Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Jack Viney, Alex Neal-Bullen & Steven May make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Dockers. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

    POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demons were once again outclassed, outplayed and outcoached by the Fremantle Dockers in 2024 ultimately going down by 50 points at Optus Stadium in Perth as they plummet to tenth on the ladder.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 316

    RAIN CHECK by Whispering Jack

    The Frankston Dolphins broke a run of six straight losses against their neighbours, the Casey Demons and kept their hopes for a long-awaited return to the VFL finals alive with a 27 point victory over at Kinetic Stadium. Casey was welcomed to the Peninsula by grey skies, heavy rain and angry seas with threatening white-capped waves whipped up by gale force winds. After a slow start in the opening term when they failed to take advantage of the breeze, it appeared that the Demons had decided

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    GAMEDAY: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    It's Game Day and the Demons have a golden opportunity to stamp their 2024 finals credentials as well as make amends for their disastrous first meeting against the Dockers earlier in the season when they take on Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 910

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    DEMONLAND - Good evening, Demon fans and welcome back to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast ... before we took that last phone call from a Demonlander, we were discussing how the club overcame it’s midseason slump, the season-ending injury to Christian Petracca and the loss for a brief period of skipper Max Gawn due to a  crack to the base of his right fibula, to slowly surge up the ladder turning our detractors into believers and how it ended the year triumphant in the finals with our capta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 6
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...