Internal Practice Match.

Doug Reemer

17 minutes ago, Doug Reemer said:

Calm down pal. 

In the 2021 pre season. It was clearly stated he was trained to play as a fwd and his secondary training position was on a wing.

I’m not saying that’s where he should play just saying if he has been trained in the position, he could in theory play a quarter or 2 there as a sub if needed.

Yes Maybe but Reems of paper sh.t have been wasted on Tmac becoming a winger Reemer just as someD/Lers mourned yhe loss of Dean Kent about 3 years ago when we passed him up to the Saints.

The fact is that he moved on we much improved our flankers and won a flag ( or 2 maybe) and he was lucky to play more than 25 games ( estimate) for the sad Saints who have  too many rejects of B or C grade standard in an AFL comp running around like headless chooks. Dean was another great example when he was on the park. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, kev martin said:

When Tmac has a full preseason, his endurance is right up there with ANB, and was able to play further up the field and on the wing.

With limited running, I assume he would have to be an impact player coming off the bench. He creates a difficult match up and is dangerous as he can kick straight when takes a mark in the forward area.

Your right about him being able to go back if needed.

What I will be looking for when/if he plays in the VFL is his turning circle, ability to change direction, his capacity to run and chase, and whether he can get the ball.

I have little idea about modern training methods, but given the his injury was a joint / foot bone,  how much non weight bearing endurance training (eg swimming, modified rowing) could Tom have been doing during his rehab?  I guess nothing beats actual running but his injury should not have effected his overall strength training much, nor his overall endurance.   Any expert comments please. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, monoccular said:

I have little idea about modern training methods, but given the his injury was a joint / foot bone,  how much non weight bearing endurance training (eg swimming, modified rowing) could Tom have been doing during his rehab?  I guess nothing beats actual running but his injury should not have effected his overall strength training much, nor his overall endurance.   Any expert comments please. 

No problem maintaining his cardio-pulmonary endurance = swimming, cycling, circuit training, alter-G off load running. The endurance issue is to do with the specific requirements of running and its effects on muscles, tendons and joints that can’t be replicated otherwise - jog, sprint, jump, land, change direction. All very function specific. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Interesting that they did the full on match practice on a 6 day break.  Preparing for shorter breaks in coming weeks...?

I think it was to give themselves an extra day before the real thing, rather than playing the practice match today.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 58er said:

This fallacy that T Mac plays wing goes back to 2018 when he in pre season trained on the wing and when he made the AFL in about Round5 he started fit snout 5 mins on the wing to warm up and run around before going to CHF. 

For some reason a number of D/Lers want Tmac on the wing or say he can play a game there. Basically this is a nonsense as he is not conditioned to play that role in AFL even given he has a good tank enough to be a lively CHF who makes things fo much easier for the small forwards to crumb and goal.

Tmac also ensures if he doesn't mark tbe ball in the CHF position sometimes as a high half forward or just leading to the wing like BBB does sometimes, his opponent dies not also and keeps the ball in our forward zone.

It just always riles me when D/Lers want Tmac "on the wing " as they truly don't understand his proper role in the team. He is no more a winger than you or me. 
Forget 2018 and his fleeting role but I sure rate him as a very important player in our 2022 team and can't wait for him to be fit for say a Prelim (or Semi Final) to bolster us up forward.

So please give up this wing sh.t once and for all it's just fantasy in a real 2022 world. 

PS As he showed in Round1 going back into defence is his forte though if we need him to. That is real. 

Go Tmac! 

T Mac himself spoke about how the club's psychologist had worked with him and that they had discovered that he felt he was too mentally constrained if he was "stuck" deep in the forward line. He said at the time that he may spend some time on the wing to allow him to remove those mental shackles.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

I think it was to give themselves an extra day before the real thing, rather than playing the practice match today.

Not sure why they would want it on an 8 day break when it is unlikely to happen in the finals.

I would have thought getting into a training rhythm would be the way to go.  Anyway, I'm sure the sports science folk had a good reason.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Not sure why they would want it on an 8 day break when it is unlikely to happen in the finals.

I would have thought getting into a training rhythm would be the way to go.  Anyway, I'm sure the sports science folk had a good reason.

Maybe that way if someone gets a decent knock they have ample time to recover.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 58er said:

Yes Maybe but Reems of paper sh.t have been wasted on Tmac becoming a winger Reemer just as someD/Lers mourned yhe loss of Dean Kent about 3 years ago when we passed him up to the Saints.

The fact is that he moved on we much improved our flankers and won a flag ( or 2 maybe) and he was lucky to play more than 25 games ( estimate) for the sad Saints who have  too many rejects of B or C grade standard in an AFL comp running around like headless chooks. Dean was another great example when he was on the park. 

I’m not sure how Dean kent has anything to do with this..

• Like 3

16 hours ago, layzie said:

Damn, all the good jokes are already taken.

There's still one good one left, about the Pope, the President, a Scotsman, and a blonde.

15 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

I'm not the only one who has internal practices matches it seems. 

Everyone does it, but no-one likes to admit it.

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, 58er said:

So please give up this wing sh.t once and for all it's just fantasy in a real 2022 world. 

Though Tmac may not been officially placed on the wing, I have seen him do some of his work in the wing areas.

In fact I've seen many of our players play all over the park. Nearly positionless as they transition the offence and defensive, and play a role, within the specific structures. Seems the traditional positions are only when they start the 666. A bit of an exaggeration but I hope you get my gist about what I think 2022 footy is.

Edited by kev martin

TMc trained on the wing for nearly all of the 2021 preseason but was played forward when neither B Brown nor Weideman were available to play.  Brayshaw filled in the wing role at short notice which turned out to be a stroke of genius.

So Tmc would be geared up to play on the wing if selected there.

• Like 4