NON-MFC: Round 19, 2022

Dee Zephyr

Timed the Balta 30 second play in call and it was 1-2 seconds early. Still,  he should have been slowly moving forward. Scores level and little time left and 30 out you score that goal or at least a point to get the lead. Really dumb. Don’t blame the kid later, he was trying to get it to a man close in. Tigers should never have not won that.

• Like 4

Freo drawing suits us ... serves as a loss for them in all reality.  More so in relation to the teams above them

If we win tomorrow night and then defeat Freo next week they would then be 2 and a half wins behind us with 4 games to play in the season (instead of just 2 wins behind)

So the ball is our court ... we control our own destiny as they've just dropped 2 valuable premiership points

Of course we have to win tomorrow night (first of all)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, DubDee said:

The Dogs now have a top 8 spot in their grasp. 

But have never played finals after appearing in the Grand Final the year before.

1 minute ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

No worries Dub. Thought Freo were gone , and cashed out just after half time - minimal damage - and collected on the under 168 total points.

Moderate collect overall.

Well played!

I rode it out. Tigers blew it in the end. But if Freo had Lobb they would have won easy I reckon

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Don't think so, Freo well behind on % were basically extra half a game behind so basically haven't gone backwards relative to Melbourne 

Now just officially half a game behind

They have played an extra game

We Smash the Bulldogs….

Here's an example as to why the draw hurts Freo

If they had have won tonight (and we beat the dogs) then they'd end up 1 win behind us (and percentage)

So if that happens (or had have happened) the game next week could see Freo move above us on the ladder if they defeat us by a big enough margin (say, for instance, a 12 goal win)

But because of the draw tonight, that can't happen (assuming we defeat the doggies)

They would be 1 & a half wins behind us so it wouldn't matter how much the margin of victory might be next week

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

They have played an extra game

We Smash the Bulldogs….

You're missing the point

If they won, they'd be same pts, well behind on % (effectively a game behind)

If they lost, they'd be 4pts behind, and well behind on % (effectively 2 games behind)

A draw is 2pts behind, %.then irrelevant,  (effectively a game behind)

Hence, a draw is effectively as good as a win

I do agree tho - if we win tomorrow we are further ahead than we are today...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

You're missing the point

If they won, they'd be same pts, well behind on % (effectively a game behind)

If they lost, they'd be 4pts behind, and well behind on % (effectively 2 games behind)

A draw is 2pts behind, %.then irrelevant,  (effectively a game behind)

Hence, a draw is effectively as good as a win

I do agree tho - if we win tomorrow we are further ahead than we are today...

???

If The MFC win tomorrow, Freo lose ground to us, because of the Draw. 

A draw is nowhere near as good as a win, in a tight Season. And they lost players….

• Like 1

It's not just our team that benefits from Freo drawing the game

Freo were 4th heading into tonight's game ... level on premiership points with Collingwood but with a much healthier percentage

But if the Pies win on Sunday against Essendon and the Lions win (as expected) against the Suns then Freo will drop to 5th and out of the double-chance position (at least, temporarily)

Therefore, taking their own destiny out of their own hands (at least in the short term)

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

???

If The MFC win tomorrow, Freo lose ground to us, because of the Draw. 

A draw is nowhere near as good as a win, in a tight Season. And they lost players….

One more try...

They were a game (4pts) behind, and 14 odd % (as good as 2 games behind)

Now they are half a game behind (2 pts) and 14 odd % (now irrelevant) (as goodnas 1 game behind)

If we win,  we'll be 6 pts ahead and % (as good as 2 games)

If we win (and freo had won) we'd be 4 pts and % (as good as 2 games)

The draw was effectively as good as a win for Freo w.r.t. Melbourne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes a draw is quite helpful as it was when Collingwood drew with us in 2010 ... after that draw all the Pies had to do was concentrate on winning without the need to work on their percentage

They had a very good team so a top 4 or top 2 position on the ladder was almost assured

They had the opportunity to rest their stars in the last quarter's of games (saving the legs) ... and that's what they did from my observations

But this draw for Freo has come late in the season and now they are relying on a team or 2 losing a game or 2

Unless the Bombers upset the Pies and/or the Lions lose against the Suns, they will be in 5th place by the end of the round (after starting the round in 4th place)

That was an awesome game to watch. Both teams played like it was a final and the mistakes that were made were because of perceived pressure. 

This game has reinforced my confidence in our game plan come finals time. The first half of this year where we won was us absorbing a lot of pressure.

As long as we are able to apply the same high pressure environments and attitude like we did last year, we’ll do it again. Freo, Sydney, Carlton and Brisbane are fallible. As long as you apply pressure, they will wilt.

The only other team that worries me is Geelong. They’ve shown they can absorb a lot of pressure as well as getting rebound goals based on forcing mistakes. I feel like they have the right players in the right positions to do shutdown roles now also. They didn’t allow us an inch through their effort and we couldn’t play that game we wanted to play.

Geelong will be in the granny if we don’t meet them beforehand.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Look I know freo getting the 2 points isn't great but gee I laughed when Richmond butchered that final minute. They have had the weirdest 3 weeks. 

Richo said to Balta did you hear the umpire tell you the 30 seconds is up, calling play on is your sign. I mean he hadn't even started to walk in. 

Poor Cumberland. I could see what he was trying to do by getting it to a teammate but he could have got the distance or gone the torp. 

Dimma said Miller had a calf or cramp. Well you can't be subbed out for cramp and richmond people are telling journos it was a groin. So what was it

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Well played!

I rode it out. Tigers blew it in the end. But if Freo had Lobb they would have won easy I reckon

and what if tigers had lynch?........same thing

tigers blew it in the end. 2 marks in last 2 mins and didn't end up even taking the kick at goal

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

and what if tigers had lynch?........same thing

tigers blew it in the end. 2 marks in last 2 mins and didn't end up even taking the kick at goal

I guess it’s the style that won them 3 flags that is now biting them. Playing on or looking for another option in a game condition that just needs a score… gotta back yourself in.

The cards are falling against them now.

Edited by BoBo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoBo said:

I guess it’s the style that won them 3 flags that is now biting them. Playing on or looking for another option in a game condition that just needs a score… gotta back yourself in.

The cards are falling against them now.

balta's wasn't a case of him playing on, he simply went to sleep by missing the 30 secs and he couldn't help at least scoring from 30m on a slight angle. dumbest thing ever.

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

One more try...

They were a game (4pts) behind, and 14 odd % (as good as 2 games behind)

Now they are half a game behind (2 pts) and 14 odd % (now irrelevant) (as goodnas 1 game behind)

If we win,  we'll be 6 pts ahead and % (as good as 2 games)

If we win (and freo had won) we'd be 4 pts and % (as good as 2 games)

The draw was effectively as good as a win for Freo w.r.t. Melbourne

Yes i am well aware of all that

A draw = 2 points 

A Win = 4 points 

no way is that as good as a win, in such a tight season  

You must be a nightmare doing a Tax Return 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1