From the vault

On 3/30/2023 at 11:23 AM, The Mighty Demons said:

Hard not to love what Bernie provided to this club in the five or so years he was here. Some long roosts here!

To bad his tagging role on dongafield isn't in this!

• 1 month later...

On 2/24/2023 at 11:20 AM, DeelightfulPlay said:

At the end when they say the last quarter was the highest scoring in MFC history, I wonder if our scoring in the last quarter of the GF beat that record!

No Deel we kicked 9.2 in the last.!!

On 3/22/2023 at 10:09 PM, The Mighty Demons said:

Jonesy's first of 302 AFL career matches!

Love the comment at the end by JB.... "He has come into the game bald bro...18 yo in his first game and he's bald"

The only downside.on the day was he had to take the field & share the rooms with BM..."Ptooey!"

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Love the comment at the end by JB.... "He has come into the game bald bro...18 yo in his first game and he's bald"

The only downside.on the day was he had to take the field & share the rooms with BM..."Ptooey!"

Can't beleive we had to endure commentary like that back then.

Wait..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Elwood 3184 said:

40 years ago 

Thanks so much for sharing; it brought back so many memories. 

Things I enjoyed seeing included some of my favorite childhood players: Robbie F, Gerard Healy, Alan Jarrott, Brian Wilson, Alan Johnson, Stephen Icke, Kelly O’Donnell, Steven Smith, Rohan Connolly  

I have to admit to spending 10 minutes thinking that 33 was Greg Healy. Of course, being 1983, it was Tony Elshaug, who ended up at Essendon. Other players who changed clubs include Gerard Healy and Glen McLean  

It was fun to see the MCG with the old Southern Stand with the wooden benches, the standing room behind the city goal and Vic Police as security. 

I don’t remember that game but I do remember a great win later in the season against the fancied Hawks in the sun at Princes Park, despite Steven Smith getting king hit and knocked out cold in the first quarter (no prizes for guessing the culprit). That win against Hawthorn put us in the top 5 for the first time in my life. Sadly, we fell away from the very next round. 

My favorite memory from this video was see Doug Haywood interview Robbie in the rooms after the game. Robbie seemed so formal compared to modern players. It made me reflect on what it would have been like to be coached by Ron Barrassi; I can imagine that even supremely talented, conscientious and loyal players like Robbie would have been under the thumb. 

Thanks for sharing. 

14.15 to 12.13 "a pretty low scoring game"

LOL; Oos used to dreeeem o' t' 14.15 to 12.13...

Thanks @Elwood 3184, and snap to those memories, Traja, including sitting on the backs of those slatted wooden benches!

Strange to hear Robbie; so much of what provides memories of him now is vision.

9 hours ago, Traja Dee said:

Thanks so much for sharing; it brought back so many memories. 

Things I enjoyed seeing included some of my favorite childhood players: Robbie F, Gerard Healy, Alan Jarrott, Brian Wilson, Alan Johnson, Stephen Icke, Kelly O’Donnell, Steven Smith, Rohan Connolly  

I have to admit to spending 10 minutes thinking that 33 was Greg Healy. Of course, being 1983, it was Tony Elshaug, who ended up at Essendon. Other players who changed clubs include Gerard Healy and Glen McLean  

It was fun to see the MCG with the old Southern Stand with the wooden benches, the standing room behind the city goal and Vic Police as security. 

I don’t remember that game but I do remember a great win later in the season against the fancied Hawks in the sun at Princes Park, despite Steven Smith getting king hit and knocked out cold in the first quarter (no prizes for guessing the culprit). That win against Hawthorn put us in the top 5 for the first time in my life. Sadly, we fell away from the very next round. 

My favorite memory from this video was see Doug Haywood interview Robbie in the rooms after the game. Robbie seemed so formal compared to modern players. It made me reflect on what it would have been like to be coached by Ron Barrassi; I can imagine that even supremely talented, conscientious and loyal players like Robbie would have been under the thumb. 

Thanks for sharing. 

'Rohan' Connolly,  lol...  is that his moniker a la Nathan/Gary Lyon?

2 hours ago, bush demon said:

'Rohan' Connolly,  lol...  is that his moniker a la Nathan/Gary Lyon?

Oops. I meant Chris Connolly.

I remember that Melbourne launched 3 quality centre players in 3 years:

1. Brian Wilson in 1981 (Brownlow)
2. Tony Elshaug in 1982
3. Chris Connolly in 1983.

I thought at the time that we were on a sure thing with Slug Jordan and the recruiters (Brian Wilson coming from North Melbourne).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Anyone remember these? 

IMG_4517.thumb.jpeg.20b7cc11146f8ba75ebea80aed74a986.jpeg

Yes, yes, yes!

Long forgotten - right up there with the Melky milkshake reminiscing!

Edited by Timothy Reddan-A'Blew

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Anyone remember these? 

IMG_4517.thumb.jpeg.20b7cc11146f8ba75ebea80aed74a986.jpeg

What year is this from, that had this particular order?!

14 minutes ago, Fanatique Demon said:

Probably 1979 as per the headline.

*Face palm*

Recovers: 'When in the season?'