MOMENTUM: A 2021 Grand Final Story

Demonland

6 hours ago, Action Jackson said:

The leadership shown by Goody and Gawn at half time is why we won.

Just kept the players calm and got them to re-set and go again, when they could have easily crumbled.

We have a special, special group of players now.

The more I see of Gawn - over time and into the future - the more that I consider him to be the ultimate Captain for the MFC and, having read his book and listened carefully to his intent and purpose across multiple interviews, broadcasts and journalistic efforts to 'reveal' something special or to raise doubts, the more I feel that Gawn is well-above the crowd, the best expectations and previous, futile efforts to knit this team as one. The players came together acting as one organism; Gawn sowed the seeds for this and clearly, received 200% co-operative contributions from all players to see this enacted. 

• Love 2

As regards to Gawny's incident with the Oompa Loompa I'm sure he has said previously somewhere (maybe in his book?) that he wasn't balanced at the time so couldn't brace himself and this contributed to how he fell, making it look worse than it was. He just thought it should have been a free kick. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Smokey said:

because he over played it 

Sorry, you can't bounce your head like that deliberately.   So I assume you are saying because he overplayed the preceding actions he lost control and it was entirely his fault his head bounced?   I find that hard ot believe,

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sue said:

Sorry, you can't bounce your head like that deliberately.   So I assume you are saying because he overplayed the preceding actions he lost control and it was entirely his fault his head bounced?   I find that hard ot believe,

he lost his feet on purpose, which resulted in him hitting his head off the deck due to the motion. the replay clearly shows that. watch it again closely 

Edited by Smokey

58 minutes ago, Smokey said:

he lost his feet on purpose, which resulted in him hitting his head off the deck due to the motion. the replay clearly shows that. watch it again closely 

Just watched it again in normal speed and in slo-mo.  Looks like we will have to agree to differ.

To add: I'm not saying it was the most nasty dumping of a player, just that the basic responsibility for Gawn hitting his head was due to the small bloke.

Edited by sue
  • Like 2

The oompa laid a sling tackle. Maxie was spun around. To blame Maxie because he was unbalanced is fatuous. In any other match or situation it would likely have been a free kick or even a report. Imagine Maxie doing it to the oompa.

It is not the outcome that counts, it is the deliberate action. That Maxie was unbalanced or hit his head because of his own movement, it was still a sling tackle and a free should have been awarded.

IN retrospect, not awarding a free might have been the beginnings of our momentum change. Conterfactuals are hazardous so I will say no more..

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, tiers said:

The oompa laid a sling tackle. Maxie was spun around. To blame Maxie because he was unbalanced is fatuous. In any other match or situation it would likely have been a free kick or even a report. Imagine Maxie doing it to the oompa.

It is not the outcome that counts, it is the deliberate action. That Maxie was unbalanced or hit his head because of his own movement, it was still a sling tackle and a free should have been awarded.

IN retrospect, not awarding a free might have been the beginnings of our momentum change. Conterfactuals are hazardous so I will say no more..

Not saying the free kick wasn't there, but Max very clearly milked what little force that tackle had. If Max didn't drop his knees, he wouldn't have hit his head on the deck.

• Like 3

Who cares? In the midst of the greatest 2 hrs from 57 years why nit pick. Anyone who bags Max for anything he has done in the last 5 years or so is just a loser who enjoys the argument. The guy is a living, walking all time legend of the club. Why would anyone want to get into an argument about the great man over that? 

I suppose he should have also not had his arm so vertical here. Did that outrage also?

d2290271ce09db572859c3647b0c3452.webp

Edited by Wizard of Koz
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

54 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Not saying the free kick wasn't there, but Max very clearly milked what little force that tackle had. If Max didn't drop his knees, he wouldn't have hit his head on the deck.

People want to make a fairly innocuous tackle into a catalytic moment, but Petracca's also-milked response in the doco suggests otherwise - if it was really a thing we were in obvious trouble, such as our moments of bullying Selwood in the 2018 elimination final. I remember my reaction on grand final day and it was basically nothing, maybe that we should be given a free.

Viney's efforts which resulted in Harmes' collect are also overblown in my opinion. We scored a goal from a stoppage on the wing which steadied the ship and gave us back some belief, normal stuff really, which in turn led us to getting back on top in the midfield and scoring a couple more not especially well-constructed ones. We then went from there with extra wind in our sales.  

8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Now that is how you edit a Sports Documentary 

wish it was longer

Fox was just lazy

Exactly.

I'd also add that with its emphasis on the growth within a group trying to defy 57 years of history, this would have been perfect had it gone an extra 30 minutes.

Iron Mike belaboured (and in my eyes unintentionally distorted) the 56 years leading into last year in Every Heart Beats True. I think the bloke just thrives in MFCSS mode (albeit he wasn't as outwardly vocal about his Melbourne affiliation until about 2018). Just look at how he wheeled out Mark Neeld on the Open Mike a few days before our first final in 12 years.

Seeing how the boys bonded, how the penny dropped after the Settler's Run meetup (the comment about Jake Lever and intercept marking was quite revelatory), the cohesion within the group and the moments of the game was what genuinely engaged me in the Momentum doco.  

It was much better than the Fox Doco with one hour less running time.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

Gawn was tackled without the ball  over the line ,wasnt expecting it and therefore  not bracing for it . Every thing afterwards was caused by the tackler . Should have  been free and if the afl was serious a report for a sling tackle, 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wizard of Koz said:

Who cares? In the midst of the greatest 2 hrs from 57 years why nit pick. Anyone who bags Max for anything he has done in the last 5 years or so is just a loser who enjoys the argument. The guy is a living, walking all time legend of the club. Why would anyone want to get into an argument about the great man over that? 

I suppose he should have also not had his arm so vertical here. Did that outrage also?

d2290271ce09db572859c3647b0c3452.webp

One should be able to comment on a particular incident without the implication that Gawn's character or status is in question. Your response is an overreaction to say the least. Be less hysterical. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

I liked Trac commenting about the look in his eyes when walking back to the centre after his dribble goal. He literally looked like a man possessed. One of several iconic moments from that day.

Great production btw. Congrats to those involved.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

That was incredible!  Outstanding behind the scenes vision and audio. Fascinating that in pre season AVB had raised the way the players would pull each other down in the way they spoke about each other ("Lever got 10 intercept possessions"; "But no one was playing on him"). 

The coverage of the GF was spine tingling and had me punching the air during our comeback. Very emotional stuff.

• Like 2