2021 Phantom Draft

MadAsHell

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

#17 Andrew. #37 Williams # 49 Willis # match Woey jnr. Cat B Moniz-Wakefield.  

Andrew lasting to 17 is ultra optimistic.  Dees would have to grab him if he gets there imv.  🤔
Williams lasting to end of 2nd round is a prayer. Freo would be crazy to let him slip. 🧐
Jane’s Willis showed plenty as inside/outside mid and across forward, and and would be a very good pickup in 3rd round.👍🏻
Woey 👍🏻
Moniz-Wakefield as a cat B 🤞👍🏻

That's the best case scenario if the top 2 are taken go for Van Rooyen at 1 and Conway at 2.

• Facepalm 2

On 10/20/2021 at 1:08 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Tough one this year once again. I think a lot of random amateurs like me only have limited capacity and capabilities.  I’ve watched some of the local SANFL and WAFL where possible and the SA-WA Under19s matches. Combine results also skewed to SA-WA. Hard to gauge our local Vic metro youngsters given lockdown over past 2 years and restrictions. Perhaps only go with the Cal Twomey ratings and blend with the SA-WA youngsters. Interesting that JT got over to WA with the Dees and was able to see many of the WA youngsters live.  Obviously gives them an advantage yet JT ️ picked 3 Vic metro boys last year so hard to call. 

Without knowing draft pick order and sliding doors, inexact science and using a cloudy crystal ball

1-10 Horne-Francis, Daicos#, Darcy#, Callaghan , Hobbs, Ward, Rachele, Sonsie, Gibcus, Amiss 

11-20 Erasmus, Johnson, Sinn, Wanganeen-Milera, Draper, Goater, Andrew, Roberts, Darcy Wilmot👍🏻, Jacob Van Rooyen👍🏻

21-30 Campbell Chesser👍🏻, Butler, Motlop, Jack Williams, Zac Taylor, Fahey#, Conway, Tom Brown, Owens#, Knevitt. 

31-40 Bazzo, Long, Windhager#, Blake Howes👍🏻, Connor MacDonald👍🏻, Isaac Birt👍🏻, Alleer, Clarke  , Corey Warner👍🏻, Murley

41-50 Jackson, Lewis Rayson👍🏻, Banks, Willis, Burgoyne#, Charlie Molan👍🏻, Sheldrick, Lohmann, Dib#, Arthur Jones. 

Taj Woewodin  - Dees father-son. Hopefully bid comes around post “37”.  Use 3rd round choice for Taj  

Andy Moniz-Wakefield , hoping we can a Rookie NGA Pick  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, adonski said:

Can't see us taking Wilmot, would be competing with Hibberd, Hunt & Tomlinson (?) for a spot

I believe it's just his rankings of the players and not a mock draft as such.

However I could actually see the appeal in Wilmot. He's a small defender and we've just lost depth there in Jetta and Lockhart. Hibberd probably has one more year in him as well while Tomlinson is more key position size.

We do have Salem, Rivers, Hunt and Bowey playing off the half back currently but it wouldn't surprise me to see Rivers and Bowey move up the ground as their career progresses. Pressure from players below in the ressies cannot be understated as well.

His description as being aggressive/combative as well as attacking flair gives me impressions of a Brayden Maynard type. I have no idea on his skill level and game iq due to the covid scratched season but if he is ticking those boxes then he'd be a good option in my view.

Personally, I feel we need to have a young developing key forward on the list to plan for the transition of McDonald and Brown in the event that Weideman doesn't kick on. Amiss looks to be out of range, perhaps Van Rooyen could be the man?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Nascent said:

I believe it's just his rankings of the players and not a mock draft as such.

However I could actually see the appeal in Wilmot. He's a small defender and we've just lost depth there in Jetta and Lockhart. Hibberd probably has one more year in him as well while Tomlinson is more key position size.

We do have Salem, Rivers, Hunt and Bowey playing off the half back currently but it wouldn't surprise me to see Rivers and Bowey move up the ground as their career progresses. Pressure from players below in the ressies cannot be understated as well.

His description as being aggressive/combative as well as attacking flair gives me impressions of a Brayden Maynard type. I have no idea on his skill level and game iq due to the covid scratched season but if he is ticking those boxes then he'd be a good option in my view.

Personally, I feel we need to have a young developing key forward on the list to plan for the transition of McDonald and Brown in the event that Weideman doesn't kick on. Amiss looks to be out of range, perhaps Van Rooyen could be the man?

We need another outside mid more than anything. I do love the idea of Rivers as an inside mid tho.

Tall can wait til next year.

Edited by adonski

39 minutes ago, adonski said:

We need another outside mid more than anything. I do love the idea of Rivers as an inside mid tho.

Tall can wait til next year.

Tend to agree. Wouldn’t mind us taking a minor jump up the order and nab whichever of Sinn, Sonsie or Chesser get through. V Good chance one of them gets through to 17 (Chesser seems most likely to still be there).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Tend to agree. Wouldn’t mind us taking a minor jump up the order and nab whichever of Sinn, Sonsie or Chesser get through. V Good chance one of them gets through to 17 (Chesser seems most likely to still be there).

I really like the look of Sinn and Sonsie, would have liked to have seen more of Chesser. Do you know much about Zac Taylor? He's one I'm keeping an eye on and reckon he could compliment our midfield by being that outside winger with speed and reportedly excellent kicking skills. Seems to be in the mid to late second round calculations at the moment. I'm hoping he is one that might fall to our second pick.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 1:24 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

#17 Andrew. #37 Williams # 49 Willis # match Woey jnr. Cat B Moniz-Wakefield.  

Andrew lasting to 17 is ultra optimistic.  Dees would have to grab him if he gets there imv.  🤔
Williams lasting to end of 2nd round is a prayer. Freo would be crazy to let him slip. 🧐
Jane’s Willis showed plenty as inside/outside mid and across forward, and and would be a very good pickup in 3rd round.👍🏻
Woey 👍🏻
Moniz-Wakefield as a cat B 🤞👍🏻

If Andrew is available at 17 I would say [censored] it and gamble that he lasts till 20.

Pick up another good kid and then match on Andrew.

The only reason I was big on getting Andrew earlier in the year is because we didn't have a first round pick and would be able to match a bid after 20.

I would prefer to pick up a mid or KPF with pick 17.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BAMF said:

If Andrew is available at 17 I would say [censored] it and gamble that he lasts till 20.

Pick up another good kid and then match on Andrew.

The only reason I was big on getting Andrew earlier in the year is because we didn't have a first round pick and would be able to match a bid after 20.

I would prefer to pick up a mid or KPF with pick 17.

We'll be pick 19 by then too, so think we could roll the dice

2 minutes ago, Ben Reyment said:

We'll be pick 19 by then too, so think we could roll the dice

Haha! Yes, good point.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a number of mids who seem to have a good burst of pace? 

Sinn, Butler, Goater.

I feel they are all around our first pick but all likely to be gone.

Edited by BAMF

11 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Haha! Yes, good point.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a number of mids who seem to have a good burst of pace? 

Sinn, Butler, Goater.

I feel they are all around our first pick but all likely to be gone.

Sonsie, Chesser and Taylor as well. One will be available if we go down that route.

• Like 1

I originally thought we should go with a tall for our first pick, but I think we should go for a mid who can rotate in other positions such as Butler who plays mid/forward or Chesser as a outside mid/half back. I like the look of Josh Rentsch with our last pick, he's a key forward at 197cm and already 100kgs, he has great hands and won the Morrish medal this year so he could be a monster forward in future. 

The draft is very open this year, so it's anyone's guess where picks 20 - 50 will actually go. Ideally i'd like our draft picks to go like this #17 - Chesser/Butler, #37 - Aleer, #49 - Bazzo, #57 Woewodin, Rookie - Rentsch 

• Like 1

For those interested the Afl website with Cal Twomey, Kevin Sheehan and Nat Edwards have just put up a 1st round mock draft based on needs in their latest draft podcast.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/687117/road-to-the-draft-podcast-2021-mock-draft

For those that don't want to listen to the 40 odd minute podcast, these were the picks.

1. North - JHF

2. Collingwood - Daicos (matched bid)

3. Bulldogs - Darcy (matched bid)

4. GWS - Gibcus

5. GC - Callaghan 

6. Adelaide - Rachelle

7. Hawthorn - Ward

8. Freemantle - Hobbs

9. Richmond - Erasmus

10. Freemantle - Amiss

11. St Kilda - Mac Andrew

12. West Coast - NWM

13. Essendon - Johnson

14. Port - Sinn

15. GWS - Goater

16. Brisbane - Wilmot

17. Richmond - Van Rooyen

18. GWS - Fahey (matched bid)

19. Sydney - Brown

20. Melbourne - Howes

21. Brisbane - Chesser

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Nascent said:

For those interested the Afl website with Cal Twomey, Kevin Sheehan and Nat Edwards have just put up a 1st round mock draft based on needs in their latest draft podcast.

For those that don't want to listen to the 40 odd minute podcast, these were the picks.

1. North - JHF

4. GWS - Gibcus

5. GC - Callaghan 

6. Adelaide - Rachelle

7. Hawthorn - Ward

8. Freemantle - Hobbs

9. Richmond - Erasmus

10. Freemantle - Amiss

12. West Coast - NWM

13. Essendon - Johnson

14. Port - Sinn

15. GWS - Goater

16. Brisbane - Wilmot

19. Sydney - Brown

20. Melbourne - Howes

21. Brisbane - Chesser

Thanks.

I don't know the draftees well enough - does anyone see any surprises, bolters or sliders?

And would Howes be good for us?

Edited by Lucifers Hero

I've watched several games and read quite a lot of draft material, players profiles, stats etc... I wouldn't put a lot of stock into my opinion but from what I've been reading there is a consensus in the quality of first approximately 10-12 picks, after that there seems to be a belief that its quite even and you can throw a blanket over the next 20-30 prospects.

The first 12-13 picks haven't deviated much from other phantom drafts that are out there. Some other names around the mark of the later stages of the first round are Draper, Sonsie, Butler, Knevitt, Taylor, Owens, Roberts. 

I feel this draft is even harder than last year to predict due to covid interrupting a second straight year. Some kids haven't been exposed much since u16s. Players like Sinn, Sonsie and Chesser were tipped to be top 10 candidates at one stage but haven't had the continuity to showcase their skills. It's one reason clubs would be wise to hold a SSP pick over for next year's mid season draft should players not drafted this year show massive development next season.

There are more knowledgeable draft people on here than me, @ChaserJ might be one that can illuminate us further.

As for Blake Howes, he's a 190cm forward/winger that's been described as being one of the most athletically gifted in the draft pool. Runs a quick 2km and is a great mark overhead. Would probably slot in nicely but I think we could take any number of players in different roles that would slot in well as a developing player.

A nice write up on him here and a highlights vid.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/blake-howes/

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Nascent said:

1. North - JHF

4. GWS - Gibcus

5. GC - Callaghan 

6. Adelaide - Rachelle

7. Hawthorn - Ward

8. Freemantle - Hobbs

9. Richmond - Erasmus

10. Freemantle - Amiss

12. West Coast - NWM

13. Essendon - Johnson

14. Port - Sinn

15. GWS - Goater

16. Brisbane - Wilmot

19. Sydney - Brown

20. Melbourne - Howes

21. Brisbane - Chesser

Who is NWM?

2 minutes ago, durango said:

There is a way that Mac Andrew can get to Melbourne, he can refuse to get vaccinated and the MFC select him on the rookie B list and convince him to get it done.

Unlikely. He’s already gone on record as saying that he’s happy to go to whatever club selects him so why go through a charade to get to the MFC? Besides, he most likely is one of the 85% of eligible Victorians who has double vaxxed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, durango said:

There is a way that Mac Andrew can get to Melbourne, he can refuse to get vaccinated and the MFC select him on the rookie B list and convince him to get it done.

Agree, I will start sharing propaganda on twitter to get it done

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nascent said:

1. North - JHF

4. GWS - Gibcus

5. GC - Callaghan 

6. Adelaide - Rachelle

7. Hawthorn - Ward

8. Freemantle - Hobbs

9. Richmond - Erasmus

10. Freemantle - Amiss

12. West Coast - NWM

13. Essendon - Johnson

14. Port - Sinn

15. GWS - Goater

16. Brisbane - Wilmot

19. Sydney - Brown

20. Melbourne - Howes

21. Brisbane - Chesser

Tyler Sonsie not in the top 21. (?) He’s a talented young midfielder. Saw him in VFL game for box hill Hawks v Werribee and he was a standout.   Thought he was top 8-12 quality in this draft.  

• Like 1

Tyler Sonsie not in the top 21. (?) He’s a talented young midfielder. Saw him in VFL game for box hill Hawks v Werribee and he was a standout.   Thought he was top 8-12 quality in this draft.  

Him and Draper are probably the two biggest names not to be included in the first round. All just fun guesswork though on their part.

There wasn't much noise about Pedlar, Stone, Angwin or Holmes as first rounders until quite late in the piece last year. I'm expecting a few more curveballs to come this year as well and look forward to who might get through to our pick. Could Johnson, Draper or Sinn get through, I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Similarly, we could pick someone from relative obscurity as well.

As for Sonsie, I would be more than happy to add him to our midfield ranks.