What do we need?

CARN THE DEES!

Ok so we've had a [censored] arse start to the season but to put it simply get over it, there is no point in crying over spilt milk.

Melbourne have been woefull the last to games being very 'handball happy' and putting way to much pressure on themselves. SO what should we do?

Sit here and complain about how crap he played, or how badly he did

or

Revaulate the games and see what melbourne can do better?

I personally would go with the latter and see how melbourne can improve nxt week and maybe just maybe win against geelong.

Firstly, Davey diffently has been shameful over the last 2 rounds and really needs work. He is out of form and he can either be dropped and put in Sandy for a game or 2 and bring Sylvia in for him or we continue to play him out of form making the same mistakes and ruining Daveys confidence more so. Especially if injured. Also droping davey sends a message to players that if u dont play good football then u will be droped.

Next is TJ, another awful game but should he be dropped? No he is to important and eventually lifted and stated before by another demonlander that he made over 7 tackles which i dont think many other players did. Also play him in the middle then we should be able to create some clearences from him.

Another bad player was Bate, he had a shocker and probally needs some work. I feel a rest from top grade would be good for him and improve his skills and confidence. It would not be so much as punishment but rather redevelopment for him to play quality football.

Bruce is also a hot topic. Picking up 29 disposals shutting down hodge in the first quarter and some crucial plays. But his kicking was diffently lacking also some bad dicisson making was costly. His first Qrt was his best containing Hodge and very influential and my i ask why? because he was played in the centre allowing him to actually do something but then for the rest of the game he was switched between the back and forward causing him to slow down and become much less influential.

Mcdonald was spectacular today picking up 30 disposals and was very in and under. No one in the hawthorn side could stop him and he was very under the rader.

Jamar is really under pressure next game if no signs of improvement in either the ruck or around the ground is future at the club might end at the end of season. He will not be droped as with neitz and robbo out we need talls in our forward line so ruckmen will be rotated throughout game.

Improvement games from Millar (finally lifting and hopefully can sustain form good increase in form), Jones (no where to be seen 2nd and 3rd but really lifted final stanza providing driving into the forward line), CJ (much to learn) and Bell (should have played on Williams).

As a team Melbourne need to improve on working as a unit much better. To sloppy especially around the midfield and the defensice pressure seen last year is no where to be seen. Rebounding from the backline definetly needs work on and hitting targets into the foward 50 (cant just bomb the ball in there and expect to win).

A positive drawn from the match was diffently our fitness we outran Hawthorn with only a 1 man bench.

Changes:

Out:

Neitz(inj.), Robbo (Inj.), Wheatly (Inj./form), Davey, Bate

In:

P. Johnson, Dunn (if alright), Holland, Sylvia, Yze

Comments? or added thoughts?

Run Buckley and Newton. I AM NOT JOKING HERE. We will get creamed anyway, we might as well give these kids a run and see what they can do against some class opposition. You never know, their fresh approach and desperation ot winthe footy could be the spark to set the wheels in motion.

If the kids are not the go, then Bizzell will play for sure. He presents an option up back and up forward.

Another bad player was Bate, he had a shocker and probally needs some work. I feel a rest from top grade would be good for him and improve his skills and confidence. It would not be so much as punishment but rather redevelopment for him to play quality football.

Fair dinkum, why are people calling for Bate to get the chop? I commend your fair and impersonal assessment, but why why WHY?

Are we all forgetting that monster roost for goal? The couple of scintallating inside fifties directly to our players? Yes he dropped a sitter (Neita does that all the time), and blazed away incorrectly, but jesus he's just a kid!!

He was played out of the square because he's 191cm (same as Neita in the books) and is destined for that kind of role. BUT HE'S NEVER PLAYED THERE BEFORE!! Certainly not without the help of Neitz. And he still got to the ball, and kicked one sensational one.

No offence CTD, there's a lot of good stuff in your post and I agree with a lot of it. I'm certainly not referring to you when I say this site has gone backwards a long way if everyone's calling for Bate to be dropped. Stupidity at its worst...

Last night i purposely stayed away from demonland because of the usual reaction from supporters who love this club but were bitterly dissapointed and angry at the way we played. as usual there would be calls about dropping players etc, with player x being labelled the worst XXX ever or player Y being labelled at a standard not worthy of AFL standard.

But IMHO the biggest problem we have at the club is an attitude issue. we currently have a 29 y.o 250 game veteran playing in the VFL because he attitude is not good enough, another veteran who has come back overweight after the preseason (albeit there are a few mitigating circumstances as to why he isn't playing currently, but this coming back overweight thing is bullsh*t and not good enough), as well as half a dozen players who have not only put in shockers but made themselves and the club look stupid in the meantime. this attitude issue also extends to discipline, as yesterday 3 needless 50's and at least 3 (that i can think of) dumb/stupid/idiotic free kicks were given away in the hawthorn 50 that directly resulted in goals. how much did we lose by yesterday ... 3 goals.

Not being on the inside of the club i have no idea why this is the case. it could be for a multitude of reasons, be it discontent within the player group, coach issues, or simply this group of players have taken their foot of the pedal. not withstanding that i admit that it is very early in the season and just because you are bottom of the ladder after round 2 doesn't mean the season is over, but i see this as a bigger issue. it seems that it is an extension of the "sing when you're winning" or "downhill skiers" attitude that this club has suffered from in the past. But until this is fixed we will not be a significant threat to the premiership.

After we lost in the 2002 SF, a pledge was made by ND that we were going to get ruthless. In my mind we've gone backwards with a similar list and the same coach.

Fair dinkum, why are people calling for Bate to get the chop? I commend your fair and impersonal assessment, but why why WHY?

Are we all forgetting that monster roost for goal? The couple of scintallating inside fifties directly to our players? Yes he dropped a sitter (Neita does that all the time), and blazed away incorrectly, but jesus he's just a kid!!

He was played out of the square because he's 191cm (same as Neita in the books) and is destined for that kind of role. BUT HE'S NEVER PLAYED THERE BEFORE!! Certainly not without the help of Neitz. And he still got to the ball, and kicked one sensational one.

No offence CTD, there's a lot of good stuff in your post and I agree with a lot of it. I'm certainly not referring to you when I say this site has gone backwards a long way if everyone's calling for Bate to be dropped. Stupidity at its worst...

Bate had a good game and i was angry so i did exaggarate. Bate kicked a great goal that got me out of my chair but he did run of puff at the end of the game and lacked awareness (also there was no help or talk for him) also when he was under pressure he would just blaze away which i have noticed in some other games but i think he can only improve and will be unlucky if droped but we might need to play yze (which is a shame cause i think he needed 2 weeks in Sandy but we really need him). I didnt mean to "Bate Bash" but i feel that it was an average game for him as it was for everyone.

Bate will be a player but is still learning.

Aside from a new coach which is clearly not going to happen until next year what we need is to inject pace into our midfield. Easier said than done but our entire midfield is one pace and Hawthorn clearly beat us to the ball and ran the lines whilst we chased arse most of the day.

So how do we fix this? Bartram was missed, maybe Buckley is worth a go. But after that we don't have any other midfielders with geniuine pace which means its going to be a long year for the Dees. Wait till we play some good teams with great midfields full of explosive pace, ie West Coast, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Western Bulldogs. Can't wait for those games!

It might only be round 2 but in today's footy pace is king and we ain't got it. Ironic isn't it that Daniher identified this after the Fremantle loss last year and has taken little action to redress it. Essendon identified it and took action!

A "Decade of Daniher" - I'm over it!

Sure things are a little tough right at the moment: Neitz and Robertson, our two best forwards, are out for the next four weeks; McLean's also got a month in the stands; Bartram's injured; Dunn's two weeks away; TJ and Flash are completely out of form; the whole side has less confidence than the Taliban's Sexual Harrassment Officer, but let's look on the bright side - we play Geelong this weekend. Now if anyone can play us back into form it's got to be the Corio Bay Handbaggers. Those blokes are experts at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory; just think back to last year when we skinned 'em good and proper after having dropped the first three matches of the season. Not much has changed down at sleepy hollow since then: their mid field is OK but hardly West Coastish; Mooney and little Ablett are their only dangerous forwards; Ottens is a prize dud; their defense is missing Harley and Steven King's also out now that I think about it. So fortune and form have well and truly deserted us at the minute, but the good ol' Cats cross our path this Sunday and that may just bring us some good luck for a change.