Clint Bartram

Dappa Dan

According to 'ology, classy dees and apparently 3AW, Barts has been carried off after trining today. Possibly a knee. Awaiting confirmation.

3AW released a breaking story that Bartram was carried off at training today with a knee injury. he was carried off on a stretcher. they did not state the nature or the extent. very limited story. just mentioned that yze may still play on monday. but given that none of bate, brown, bizz, wheatley, godfrey and CJ are playing this looks highly unlikely.

lets just hope for the best. the kid a real good one, and has already suffered a horrendous injury in his short career

Melbourne club spokesman Leigh Newton said Bartram's fitness would be assessed on Sunday, but he had not yet been ruled out of the team

PHEW!!!

Oh Dear! Please if anyone hears anything let us know asap. Cheers

but given that none of bate, brown, bizz, wheatley, godfrey and CJ are playing this looks highly unlikely.

Is bate out of the team??

Guest dee'viator
I will be gutted if this kid missed more time. He deserves a long season and a chance to play finals footy.

I hope all turns out ok for clint.

Danners just said on 'before the game' that bartram just got a hit on the knee & won't play this week as a precaution. Hopefully all is well.

I am telling you get on the hawks at $2.40 i can't believe these odds i think it is a 50-50 game even slightly hawks way as i think they have much more run than us....

BROWN, GODFREY, WHEATLEY in same side= trouble.... how you choose godfrey over Bizzel astounds me..... sure he might tag someone but id rather back ourselves and put Wheatley on the wing and use Bizzel down back.... instead of having both godfrey and brown in the same team....

Hawks by 6 goals... get on at the juicy odds... i am not ashamed to say i have as a dees fan....

Bizzell is a better footballer than Godfrey and considering Bartram was named in the back pocket (and not the midfield) why not play Bizzell?

Because Bartram would have tagged one of Crawford, Hodge or Mitchell.

With Wheatley and Brown already in the side, we're left with too many one-dimensional defenders if we also include Bizzell. You could argue that yes, Bizzell is indeed a better footballer, but he won't be able to cover the role of Bartram. Besides, with McLean out, we're already down a midfielder.

*Sigh* It's extremely depressing having to decide which D-grade footballer should be placed in the side to replace your A-grade players. :unsure:

Because Bartram would have tagged one of Crawford, Hodge or Mitchell.

With Wheatley and Brown already in the side, we're left with too many one-dimensional defenders if we also include Bizzell. You could argue that yes, Bizzell is indeed a better footballer, but he won't be able to cover the role of Bartram. Besides, with McLean out, we're already down a midfielder.

*Sigh* It's extremely depressing having to decide which D-grade footballer should be placed in the side to replace your A-grade players. :unsure:

That's such a negative attitude.

Why put in a player like Godfrey to tag when he is just going to get murdered anyway?

Yes, Hawthorn have Mitchell, Hodge and Crawford.

But Melbourne have Bruce, Moloney, McDonald, Jones, Green and Johnstone.

ND needs to show some faith in these guys and say: "You know what, Hawthorn do have a strong midfield, but we've also got a number of players who are bloody good. Let's not worry about trying to shut them out, instead let's put them on the back foot and make them accountable for our guys by going out and playing positive football."

I’d much prefer to see Bizzell in the team, who is cool under pressure, has good skills and can create run off halfback instead of Godfrey who is just used in a negative tagging role which will see him get murdered anyway.

Essentially, bringing in Godfrey is like playing with 21 players in the side. He’s going to offer very little when (if) he does get the ball and like I’ve mentioned earlier he’s not even that good at tagging.

I'll just add to that IF a Hodge or a Mitchell is tearing Melbourne a new one then Bruce, Mcdonald or Jones can be used to tag if worst comes to worst. Moreover, when they do get the ball they will offer much more than what Godfrey does.

That's such a negative attitude.

Why put in a player like Godfrey to tag when he is just going to get murdered anyway?

I hope you don't think I'm actually advocating Godfrey plays. It's not as if I'm jumping for joy that Bartram got injured.

All I'm saying is that he is the most logical replacement because we've lost a tagger, not a defender.

BTW, how do you think Brown, Bell, Whelan, Bizzell, Wheatley, Rivers, Carroll and Ward all play in the one backline? Assuming we play 7 defenders at most, at the one time, what happens to the extra player?

Godfrey may not be much of a player, but at least he'll run all day and give our midfielders a break. We can't afford to have 2 players on the bench again with no fresh legs.

I agree that he is a poor tagger, and an appalling user of the ball, but Ward is not far behind him. At least Ward runs fast when he makes mistakes. :D

I hope you don't think I'm actually advocating Godfrey plays. It's not as if I'm jumping for joy that Bartram got injured.

All I'm saying is that he is the most logical replacement because we've lost a tagger, not a defender.

BTW, how do you think Brown, Bell, Whelan, Bizzell, Wheatley, Rivers, Carroll and Ward all play in the one backline? Assuming we play 7 defenders at most, at the one time, what happens to the extra player?

Godfrey may not be much of a player, but at least he'll run all day and give our midfielders a break. We can't afford to have 2 players on the bench again with no fresh legs.

I agree that he is a poor tagger, and an appalling user of the ball, but Ward is not far behind him. At least Ward runs fast when he makes mistakes. :D

Ward can play on a wing (people always complain that he is unaccountable).

Bell can play in the midfield (even if only just to give other players a break).

Brown can play on a wing (see Ward).

Wheatley can play on a wing.

These players don't all have to play in the backline.

That leaves Whelan, Rivers, Carroll and Bizzell as the four main defenders.