CHANGES: Rd 20 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

Might be time to start looking at the future. If Weideman is committed to staying at MFC we need to bring him in, preferably at the expense of McDonald. However, we need to try and manage McDonald in a way that we can offload him to someone else at the end of the year. We need to get rid of his salary and we aren't getting anything more than what you can get from a 20 year old anyway (decent one week, missing the next). People believe he has had a good season (comparing it to the last 2 seasons that is understandable) so we might be able to sell while there is some value.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Vomit 2

B: BOWEY, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, PETTY, HUNT

C: LANGDON, PETRACCA, BRAYSHAW

HF: MELKSHAM, MCDONALD, PICKETT

F: FRITSCH, B.BROWN, CHANDLER

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: SPARROW, VANDENBERG, RIVERS, JONES

SUB: HARMES

IN: BOWEY, MELKSHAM, CHANDLER, SPARROW, VANDENBERG, JONES

OUT: HIBBERD, NEAL-BULLEN, JACKSON, HARMES, JORDON, SPARGO

• Shocked 1

We badly need freshening up. 

Bring Weid in for Jacko. The kid needs a break

ANB with ball in hand is terrible. Give Bedford a go to see what he can do in the role. HE can cover the ground like ANB and might use the ball better

Perhaps Jones and Melksham can come in as well

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rossmillan said:

Out: Jackson

In: Melksham

Petracca to play more forward.

I think we are too tall up forward, especially in the wet.  The ball is rebounding out of the forward line too easily.

As much as I hate to include Melksham we need more class in the forward half.  

Must get Petracca forward, he’s the one who knows where the goals are.  He keeps wanting to break tackles and this hurts us less in the forward 50 where the risk is worth it.  Need Jordan back in the guts more where he takes the first simple options, rather than trying to be too clever.

His goal sense is pretty off at the moment. However, getting him in as a marking target I agree with.

The change works too for mine, gives McDonald a chance to win some footy as 2nd ruck and Jacko is pretty lost as a forward option atm

Edited by Clayton spirit
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

OUT: Jackson, Harmes, Hibberd

IN: Weid, Jones, Bowey

Yeah agree with this plus another 3 or so on notice I Spargo can go as well

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

25 disposals, 7 tackles (3 inside 50), 7 clearances.

Don't reckon he's coming out mate.

Stats are the most over rated thing in football it's what you do with it that counts.

It's also what you do without the ball that is also important. 

Edited by demon3165
  • Like 6

Just now, demon3165 said:

.Stats are the most over rated thing in football it's what you do with it that counts.

Sure, and I'm not implying he was great, but those tackles and clearances in particular will likely see Goody keep him in as he has done in the past in similar circumstances with ANB.

• Like 3

Viney to defensive forward for Spargo, rest. Brayshaw into the midfield. Sparrow to the wing. Jackson rest for Weideman to play same role. JJ rest for AVB. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Out: Harmes, Spargo, Jackson, Hibberd, Brayshaw.

All were pathetic. How Harmes got back in the team is astounding. His past four games have been the worst I've seen in Melbourne colours.

In: Sparrow, Bowey, Melksham and Jones.

Brayshaw looking to join the illustrious group (of pretty much every Melbourne player of the last 20 years) to approach the prime age and regress. We just cannot get a baseline of decent output from our experienced players. We continue to get burnt by highly regarded players having absolute stinkers instead of just having a quiet game.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Out Harmes, Brayshaw, Spargo

ln Bowey ,Melksham ,Sparrow

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wizardinoz said:

He'd been stinking it up for about 6 weeks. He needs to be dropped. His turnovers are killing us in the F50. Stats or no stats.

Hasn't been great, but is still in our top 3 for goal assists.

• Like 1

In: Melksham, Sparrow

Out: Harmes, Jordon

Harmes is killing us in the middle. I'm inclined to try Melksham to find out, now, if he can help improve our flailing forward half game.

Jordon's having less impact by the week. Sparrow deserves another go.

I'm fed up with ANB's mistakes but he's at least pressuring. Spargo's better in the forward half but not getting involved enough. A change could be made there, but it's not like we have amazing talent ready to go (Bedford? Chandler?).

Jackson's also struggling. If we're going to drop him it has to be for Weideman or Daw or someone who can ruck for significant periods of the game. We can't put TMac or Brown in the ruck and we can't go back to rucking Gawn for 95% of games.

8 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

25 disposals, 7 tackles (3 inside 50), 7 clearances.

Don't reckon he's coming out mate.

Yes but 8 clangers (our most) and 7 turnovers (our second most), with only 331 metres gained (7th most for us) and only 4 score involvemetns.

He also fumbles more than most.

I love his defensive work and I'm sure the FD does too, but he's not helping our forward half game at a time when we really need to focus on our forward half game.

• Like 3

Just now, titan_uranus said:

Yes but 8 clangers (our most) and 7 turnovers (our second most), with only 331 metres gained (7th most for us) and only 4 score involvemetns.

He also fumbles more than most.

I love his defensive work and I'm sure the FD does too, but he's not helping our forward half game at a time when we really need to focus on our forward half game.

I agree mate, he was fumbly and didn't use it well, particularly in the first half, but I don't think Goody will consider dropping him given the other things he did the coaches seem to value highly.

Also, all of Oliver, Petracca and Gus all had 7 clangers. Gus from just the 19 touches too.

Skills are a BIG problem for us everywhere.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Disposal efficiency is a flawed stat, but for reference:

ANB 48%

Gawn 38.9%

Petracca 35.5%

for goodness sakes Lord.  you can tattoo anb's stats all over your backside for all i care.  to place these two matchwinners in a comment with anb for comparative purposes is [censored] ridiculous. 

goodnight sir.  go dees.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pinkshark said:

for goodness sakes Lord.  you can tattoo anb's stats all over your backside for all i care.  to place these two matchwinners in a comment with anb for comparative purposes is [censored] ridiculous. 

goodnight sir.  go dees.

We didn't win the match tonight.

The performances of Gawn, Petracca and more of our 'matchwinners' was just us much to blame as the performance of ANB.

• Like 1