CHANGES: Rd 17 vs Port Adelaide

Hellofatime

2 hours ago, bobby1554 said:

And “hope” being the operative word. We have peaked too early. Have a look around. Brisbane starting to flex muscle, Geelong give up a 4 goal deficit to win by 7 against a side we struggled to beat, Dogs going beautifully. And we are doing what? We will be 5th by end of next round. We cannot kick goals. TMac has fallen off a cliff, but then we did try to trade him last year. May I ask, we’re you at the game today? Because they never gave a yelp. Outplayed by the team sitting 9th. Do you really think the Giants would have beaten Brisbane, Geelong, Bulldogs or Port today, at their HOME grounds? 

You're worse than Dr D

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Shocked 1

34 minutes ago, Deefensive Language said:

In: BBB, Melksham, Jones

Out: Viney, Sparrow, Pickett

Match Committee need to slap themselves in the face for not trying BBB against GWS in light of our forward line line issues, his recent form and our position on the ladder. Goodwin keeps saying we're still working on our forward line mix - by Round 16 a top 4 MUST have this.

Geelong, Brisbane, Port all have this.

Sparrow, Jordon, Harmes seem too similar - high tackle numbers and low game time. Trust Harmes to run out more of a game and give him a job (Wines).

Melk also deserves more game time - at times this year he's played OK but barely gets any continuity on the ground. Needs a clear role in the middle that suits his skill set.

I'd also be interested to see Salem get a few runs through the middle - could rotate with Melksham (who's played HB before), or even Brayshaw. Just a taste to see how they go as rebounders.

I am going to cop it for this suggestion, but I'd like to see Jones get another midfield run in the vein of Boak. I know they have different skill sets, but Jones as a HF is just a waste of time, and his decision making in close is still sharp. Given our overreliance on Oliver and Petracca in the middle it could have impact in bursts. He only needs to play about 60%.

Pickett out of form and needs to be managed. Opposition are really clued into his game style by now. Needs a chance to stop and refocus and come back with a more sustainable, less manic game.

I'd also like to see Bowey get a run but now is not the time.

Don't mind this at all.  We are overweight mids and underweight a KTF.  Would push Jordan into Kozzie's role and allow Jones to cover Jordan's mid time.  Can't be any worse than we saw today.  Today was bottom of the barrel this season.

Kozzie is due for a two to three week reset in the McGoos . I would go one further and bring Lockhart in for for Spargo for a block of three games and send both the small forwards to Casey for a reset / spell.  They are both badly out of form right now and a partly the reason why we aren't posting decent scores of late.  Lockhart is playing some decent intense footy at VFL last two matches and him and JJ might be just the tonic we need inside 50 vs Spargo/Kozzie in the short term who both need to find some form again.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bobby1554 said:

Well, Ben Brown ain’t coming in on that performance. 3 disposals. Weid gets another crack. I thought we had this nice dilemma of having multiple forward options. WTF has gone horribly wrong? 

I reckon he is already earmarked based on last week's performance and today's seniors result Bobby.  He'll be in against Port.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobby1554 said:

So counter the argument. Tell me why my analysis is wrong. Don’t just flip in a meaningless one liner. We have gone backwards over the past month.

12-3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bobby1554 said:

Well he shouldn’t be

Selection time at the MFC is often perplexing Bobby

Edited by Rusty Nails

8 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Don't mind this at all.  We are overweight mids and underweight a KTF.  Would push Jordan into Kozzie's role and allow Jones to cover Jordan's mid time.  Can't be any worse than we saw today.  Today was bottom of the barrel this season.

Kozzie is due for a two to three week reset in the McGoos . I would go one further and bring Lockhart in for for Spargo for a block of three games and send both the small forwards to Casey for a reset / spell.  They are both badly out of form right now and a partly the reason why we aren't posting decent scores of late.  Lockhart is playing some decent intense footy at VFL last two matches and him and JJ might be just the tonic we need inside 50 vs Spargo/Kozzie in the short term who both need to find some form again.

Spargo is not badly out of form. Watch last 2 week’s games (not this week so much).

Ben Brown did zero today in the twos. 

anyone really think he would made a difference today?

Played 2 or 3 quarters for two kicks and two frees against. And the Weed killed it

I'm undecided on whether BBB would have helped today but it would be nice to have a key forward that could actually bring it to ground. If we weren't being intercept marked up forward then it was just pinging out straight away, like old times.

• Like 1

What I think it will be:

IN: vandenBerg, Melksham, B.Brown
OUT: Sparrow, Kozzy, Jordon

What I would do:

IN: B.Brown, Melksham/Jones, Bowey
OUT: Sparrow, Harmes, Hunt

Play TMac higher up, but on purpose this time, get Gus and Jake/Chunk to take on the Sparrow & Harmes roles.

• Like 2

Ben Brown surely in. Sounds like BBB only played a half for Casey - which means perhaps they’re already looking to keep him fresh for Thursday.

Brown has proven AFL form and if he played today we may have won - with Weids we’d have been a playing a man short. 

From today’s display I’d be surprised if we didn’t have omissions for the Power game. 

If our mids don’t turn up and we play a tall short in our forward line - we will get touched up by Port and be 5th on the ladder. 

• Like 1

• Grapeviney changed the title to Changes vs Port Adelaide

Hunt is a query. He looked good when he ran and ran through the lines. Also contested well. But his indecisive nature was a worry. He ran hard and caused the giants a worry in the last quarter and could have had a shot each time within 40 metres of goal. Sure not the percentage play but this team first stuff sometimes has to be changed for some players like Hunt to “just go for it”. I’d like to see him retain his spot. Pace is a commodity we don’t have much of.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

In. Brown 

out. Spargo or Pickett or Viney. Jack looked sluggish. Not sure he’s 100%. 

He’s not match fit. Not used to the pace, hasn’t played footy for ages.

• Like 1

In B.Brown (nervous selection ) ,Vanderberg , Melksham, Jones  Out Pickett, Viney, Brayshaw and Jordan 

We just have weid the axe before it is too late ....... 3 to 5 changes.

Massive game this defines our season win and we will be top 2 lose and we will be officially in a slump.

IN: BROWN, VANDENBERG

OUT: SPARROW, PICKETT

SUB: MELKSHAM

I still think the VFL game tonight meant nothing due to the short turnaround. Very unusual for all of Brown, Melksham and Vandenberg to spend so much time on the bench. I think they will all be off to Adelaide.

• Like 2

Why do people think Jones will play done his calf minimum 2 weeks at his age.

• Like 3