CHANGES: Rd 11 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

10 hours ago, A F said:

You're massively overselling Daw and as usual way off with Petty. It's laughable you think the club will drop Petty for Daw. Ever.

Petty has been good but he was well below average against the crows. 

But then again apart from Lever our defence was a shambles. Not unlike our forward line either.

• Shocked 1

On 5/22/2021 at 8:29 PM, picket fence said:

BROWN should never have been dropped in the first place, would he have missed that easy goal from 35 out that Weeds chocked on? Nar, Melksham should almost not be picked until he shows some intensity was woeful tonight!

Agreed. He was good in one game. Average in another and below standard in his third.

You should not drop players after one bad game. Having said that the same argument could be used for sam w. He was ok in his first game.

But agreed the club was way too hasty in dropping bb and did so in a juggling act.

Perhaps sam should have come in first.

Three games is alright to make a decision upon but not on the way bb played in all of his.

He kicked five goals in two of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Agreed. He was good in one game. Average in another and below standard in his third.

You should not drop players after one bad game. Having said that the same argument could be used for sam w. He was ok in his first game.

But agreed the club was way too hasty in dropping bb and did so in a juggling act.

Perhaps sam should have come in first.

Three games is alright to make a decision upon but not on the way bb played in all of his.

He kicked five goals in two of them.

Someone earlier in this thread (or another perhaps) made a great point that BBs value isnt just his raw goals and stats. He draws the best defender and then also draws another to nearly every marking contest (and he's rarely outmarked) Both Frit and McDonald had career standout games with him in the side. None of that goes on his stat sheet

• Like 5

On 5/25/2021 at 4:57 PM, Demons11 said:

Complete rubbish.  Inside players can definitely be tagged.  Libba feeds it out to all their runners, so stopping it at the source is imperative 

I don’t agree with this, in terms of hedging bets because we’ve been at our best when losing the clearances but providing immediate heat and pressure to the ball carrier.  Libba feeds it out and that is where he does the damage, but it’s not as damaging as the players who are setting up entries by foot once it gets outside.

Shut down Macrae and give him no room so even if he gets it every disposal is under pressure. Same with Bont and Daniel

Just my opinion 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jjrogan said:

Someone earlier in this thread (or another perhaps) made a great point that BBs value isnt just his raw goals and stats. He draws the best defender and then also draws another to nearly every marking contest (and he's rarely outmarked) Both Frit and McDonald had career standout games with him in the side. None of that goes on his stat sheet

Played one poor game out of only three for the year and was dropped. Very impatient in view.

Compare that to Melkshams record and constant selection.

2 hours ago, BW511 said:

Similar to what is being discussed with Tom Mitchell right now.

His effect is being nullified because he's got no one of use to give the ball to.

But mostly because he just wasn't all that good to begin with, then had a nasty injury.

I think Libba has to be sat on at the coal face and Bont can't be allowed easy kicks, they're deadly players in those situations, otherwise it's a team effort.

Dealing with the Dogs inside to out flick around handball game is a whole different beast though. We have to win our share of the ball and then we have to pressure like mad to stand a chance of shutting that down. I'm very worried about the likes of Brayshaw and Melksham who don't have that quick change of direction and constant energy, they'll leave glaring gaps in the net of pressure required to close down the Dogs.

• Like 1

I believe Ben Brown will always draw the oppositions best defender. Its my belief that Weiderman will draw the 2nd best behind TomMc (If no BB) or maybe 3rd best behind either of,  Luke Jackson or Fritta depending on matchups.

How other teams regard our firepower should resonate and give a clue in regard to giving Sam Weiderman chances to 'come good". How many good games is it fair to say he has had? I think 10 is generous. He has played nearly 50 games IIRC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I don’t agree with this, in terms of hedging bets because we’ve been at our best when losing the clearances but providing immediate heat and pressure to the ball carrier.  Libba feeds it out and that is where he does the damage, but it’s not as damaging as the players who are setting up entries by foot once it gets outside.

Shut down Macrae and give him no room so even if he gets it every disposal is under pressure. Same with Bont and Daniel

Just my opinion 

I believe Mcrae is the danger...apart from the HB's he's the generator.

Bont is a good player but it's Macrae, he's gettable and I think we need to put work into him.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Damo said:

I believe Ben Brown will always draw the oppositions best defender. Its my belief that Weiderman will draw the 2nd best behind TomMc (If no BB) or maybe 3rd best behind either of,  Luke Jackson or Fritta depending on matchups.

How other teams regard our firepower should resonate and give a clue in regard to giving Sam Weiderman chances to 'come good". How many good games is it fair to say he has had? I think 10 is generous. He has played nearly 50 games IIRC.

Good games 5, average 5 below average 36. In his sixth season for 46 games says it all for me.

Edited by old dee

59 minutes ago, rjay said:

I believe Mcrae is the danger...apart from the HB's he's the generator.

Bont is a good player but it's Macrae, he's gettable and I think we need to put work into him.

Agree, tag Mcrae (Harmes).

We could play Bont like we did Dusty:  have a midfielder 'stand him' (a big ask for Jordon; maybe Melksham) when in the middle and let Hibberd close tag him when he goes forward. 

Those moves won't stop the Bulldogs entirely but they may be enough to stifle their forward forays and slow down their ball movement, giving our defence more time to structure up when they do get the clearances. 

Bevo is not shy about making in game changes so if our tactics work he will make moves to counteract them.  We need to be very alert to his tactics.  Not give it a quarter to see how it pans out like we have in the past, by which time they will pile on a bunch of goals and the game is gone.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Agree, tag Mcrae (Harmes).

We could play Bont like we did Dusty:  have a midfielder 'stand him' (a big ask for Jordon; maybe Melksham) when in the middle and let Hibberd close tag him when he goes forward. 

Those moves won't stop the Bulldogs entirely but they may be enough to stifle their forward forays and slow down their ball movement, giving our defence more time to structure up when they do get the clearances. 

Bevo is not shy about making in game changes so if our tactics work he will make moves to counteract them.  We need to be very alert to his tactics.  Not give it a quarter to see how it pans out like we have in the past, by which time they will pile on a bunch of goals and the game is gone.

Probably let Trac & Bont go head to head in the middle...Hibbo pick him up forward.

Wonder if they will tag Oliver or Trac?

Probably Libba & Oliver will fight it out around the ball.

Brayshaw to work hard on Hunter, he gets too much ball on us.

Let them worry about Langdon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Doug Reemer said:

I 100% beleive in UFO's. Which by definitions are just Unidentified Flying Objects. Doesn't necessarily mean they are alien.

99.99% of UFO sightings are either BS or explainable by terrestrial phenomena 

The eyewitness accounts of David Fravor (a very sober and credible navy commanader) and his crew who saw that object, the radar tracking, the fact their radar was jammed when they got close (which is an act of war byw) and the speeds and maneuverability of the object are very hard to explain. a real head scratcher.

Probably a conversation for a different thread

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Damo said:

Hes certainly not tracking the way most expected. Fifty games is starting to look like enough. 

At this stage Im leaning towards bb but sw deserves another game or two.

Bb was unjustly dropped after three ...they didnt give him a fair run so lets at least give Sam a few more  games 

5 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Hes certainly not tracking the way most expected. Fifty games is starting to look like enough. 

At this stage Im leaning towards bb but sw deserves another game or two.

Bb was unjustly dropped after three ...they didnt give him a fair run so lets at least give Sam a few more  games 

I am perplexed as to why? He is all of a sudden going to be better than his previous 46 games? 

Edited by old dee

Due to integrity of selection they won't do this but I'd bring in BBB and drop the Weid to Casey for the rest of the year and thus rendering him a depth player.

Last week we were crying out for a key forward to take the game by the scruff of the neck against a team with a perceived lack of key defenders. Instead we got a 3 mark/1 goal game and he was largely invisible in that critical last quarter.

A pity BBB won't be playing at his suited venue - one would assume.