POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Demonland

12 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I actually thought it was a great win. There were long periods of the game where there wasn’t much scoring - that to me says the game was a genuine arm wrestle. We scored heavily in the periods where we had ascendency and defended like Demons(!) during the period where they had it. 

I reckon the “meh, just a win” people are ratcheting the bar up a tad too high.

Its a positive take but I reckon most of us our expecting to smash someone given we are the best.

But maybe being the best brings out the best in opposing teams. Beating number one is a big scalp.

I struggle with our slow starts but our fitness is unreal.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, praha said:

What was the crowd for those at the game?

38,000 odd. Good attendance. 

A regulation win. We played at maybe 5% of our full capacity. Backline again won us the game. They are a bunch of absolute weapons. Kick 7.1 and not 1.7 in the last and it’s a 10 goal win. 

There is no point being at our best in May. We have multiple gears to lift and the time to do that is in August and September. 

You bank the win and look ahead to 10-0. Then the really hard road begins. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Im sure we will soon. I dont think we are playing our best with the same slow starts.

Full credit to us though we got another raw deal from unprofessional umpires but like every other match we just kept pushing and pushing.

Our fwd structure was off today as was our midfield in the first half.

We will sort it out and find our best form at the best time.

Max seems tired as does Trac but you cant keep champions down.

Full credit to Langdon again. Just always playing his absolute best and never kwts us down.

Spargo growing in confidence.

Olivers fitness is fantastic.

Where woyld we be without Tmac...five and four if lucky.

He is as good as he ever was.

Completely agree. My favourite part is that I don't think I've seen us play anywhere near our best yet. I've got no doubt we'll tune into it soon. I reckon our best will be scary. 

Yeah Max looks gassed. Jacko would have been handy today.

But the boys keep at it, and that really has set us apart from the others. We keep finding a way. Great to see, even in the less than glamorous wins.

TMac is great to watch for so many reasons.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

We had the game on our terms if not always in our control.

Players started early doing some things that weren’t the team things or best/first option. Dangerous thing to let creep in, really hope it doesn’t creep in vs crows cos we will need to be on 100% vs the doggies.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

Its a positive take but I reckon most of us our expecting to smash someone given we are the best.

Hence ratcheting up the bar too high.

We will smash someone. It’ll come. It was never going to be this game though. The current incarnation of Carlton don’t have a huge number of wins on the board, but they don’t get smashed.

We delivered, for the 9th time in a row. I’m feeling smugly content.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

But maybe being the best brings out the best in opposing teams. Beating number one is a big scalp.

I struggle with our slow starts but our fitness is unreal.

I 100% agree with this. Everybody wants a big scalp. With nothing to lose, they throw everything at us. That little bit extra turns these games into a genuine tussle. I'd love a quick start. Straight out of the blocks fire.

• Like 2

For all that asked my mum was a lot better today than yesterday,  though she will need some rehabilitation at the Peter James Centre.  It is great to be sitting 9/0 for the season. They are playing great team football. CARN THE DEMONS.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

I thought Salem was the best player on the ground today and an absolute star under wet slippery conditions. (That Walsh kid goes alright too)

His foot passing was elite but a number of times effective handpassess through traffic whilst under pressure were brilliant.  If he gets get 25-30 touches every week he's a sneaky top 3 Brownlow chance. 

• Like 6

Good - another comfortable win against a mid range side, without fully clicking into gear

Bad - poor souls like myself who aren’t in Melbourne, or can’t attend for whatever reason, who had to listen to BT’s commentary. I’m usually pretty good at just ignoring the dribble, but he was next level today. Completely disrespectful.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I actually thought it was a great win. There were long periods of the game where there wasn’t much scoring - that to me says the game was a genuine arm wrestle. We scored heavily in the periods where we had ascendency and defended like Demons(!) during the period where they had it. 

I reckon the “meh, just a win” people are ratcheting the bar up a tad too high.

Nice to read a sensible comment. Course it was a good win, against a dangerous opponent - one which was 5 goals up against the Bulldogs well into the third last week. So much woebegone whining on this site. The reality is this: we are 9 - 0. Be appreciative, for God's sake. 

• Like 16
  • Love 1

Just bubbling along nicely.
Had another gear when we needed it.
We're strong all over the ground and whoever beats us will have to play very well.

And how 'bout the footy gods give us a game with some decent conditions for a change.

• Like 2

Great win never really troubled and they had their season to play for. Haven't belted a side yet which is good don't want soft games.

Another really even team performance. Should beat Adelaide comfortably then massive game against the dogs.

• Like 2

Concerned we once again lost the clearance game, and again tackles inside 50 were down, rather than rely on the backline as a backup we now need them in order to compete, going to be ugly vs dogs in a few weeks if we can’t fix it 

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rossmillan said:

BT -“ The fans are quiet because Melbourne supporters are bored of winning.”

I have no words…..  The most ridiculous comment I have heard in a long time.

I heard, a top 4 finish guarantees a grandfinal berth, or something along that train of thought.

14 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Competent and able football team handily disposes of fancied challenger. Nothing to see here, move along please.

Except for Nibblers new found goal  skills..Tmac proving all of us that he is still a top five forward...oliver getting better each year and an AA backline that is the best going around?

Oh yea and Goody proving hes a great coach.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Emerald said:

It looks like Melbourne play a drunken boxing version of football; it can look ugly at times but it works.

100%

The Dogs might look prettier but the demons are gettin' it done in the trenches.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Except for Nibblers new found goal  skills..Tmac proving all of us that he is still a top five forward...oliver getting better each year and an AA backline that is the best going around?

Oh yea and Goody proving hes a great coach.

Don't say that too loudly around here. Wait till we lose.