CHANGES: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

11 hours ago, Jjrogan said:

I like the guy, but I hope all the people automatically putting Weid in for his one day out in the vfl s ok for a 11 disposal, 3 mark, 2.1 goal performance if he gets selected. Thats basically been his output bar a handful of games in his 40 odd game career and there's no reason to expect more. So please no slagging him off for dropped marks or being ineffective when the ball hits the deck!!! 

2 goals a game is almost a 50 goal season so I'd take that wouldn't you?

• Like 2

Richmond has beaten Carlton, Hawthorn and St Kilda. The average ladder position of teams they've beaten is 14th. Ours is 11th. Geelong and Saints both in the top 8 when we beat them. Tigers have played well once this season and everyone is talking about them ... they beat up an injury ravage St Kilda that was on a 5-day break. And yet we're the team that "hasn't beaten anyone yet". Let's not forget Richmond's 5-0 start to the year in 2017...

Not to understate them as a team because I think they're great, but seriously, I am very much looking forward to beating them comfortably on Saturday.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

2 goals a game is almost a 50 goal season so I'd take that wouldn't you?

I would. Perhaps i was being a little generous with his goals (19 in 13 games last year) but all im suggesting is that if he kicks his two and contributes a bit here and there thats all we should be expecting to get. Maybe he lays a tackle. Maybe he doesnt. (6 in 13 games last year).

I see Ben Brown a match winner brought in for these mature elite defences and for me he is unquestionably the better option, especially since Goodwin has declared them both fit.   And agreed with most that we cant bring in both this week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

I would. Perhaps i was being a little generous with his goals (19 in 13 games last year) but all im suggesting is that if he kicks his two and contributes a bit here and there thats all we should be expecting to get. Maybe he lays a tackle. Maybe he doesnt. (6 in 13 games last year).

I see Ben Brown a match winner brought in for these mature elite defences and for me he is unquestionably the better option, especially since Goodwin has declared them both fit.   And agreed with most that we cant bring in both this week.

I agree. The chances are he won't kick any. He'll have Grimes or Balta on him. So we just need him to compete and defend. We paid a lot to bring Brown in and if he's fit we need to play him. But I also think that Weideman should be rewarded for 7 goals in the vfl. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

If Fritsch does get named, steel yourselves for some horrible vision of Grimes punching at his hand off the play, all night. 

Maybe we can counter attack with Kozzy offering a low blow to Grimes' nether regions.

Within the play of course hehe

Edited by Yung Blood

11 minutes ago, praha said:

Richmond has beaten Carlton, Hawthorn and St Kilda. The average ladder position of teams they've beaten is 14th. Ours is 11th. Geelong and Saints both in the top 8 when we beat them. Tigers have played well once this season and everyone is talking about them ... they beat up an injury ravage St Kilda that was on a 5-day break. And yet we're the team that "hasn't beaten anyone yet". Let's not forget Richmond's 5-0 start to the year in 2017...

Not to understate them as a team because I think they're great, but seriously, I am very much looking forward to beating them comfortably on Saturday.

They beat St Kilda by 80+ pints. 

We had a great single quarter which won us the game against Hawthorn. 

I think you're greatly underestimating how good Richmond are at their best and their consistency in big games. 

For us to win, we'll need to bring the 2018 elim finals type pressure for four quarters as well as being sharpshooters in front of goal. 

Anything less will result in a loss. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

I agree. The chances are he won't kick any. He'll have Grimes or Balta on him. So we just need him to compete and defend. We paid a lot to bring Brown in and if he's fit we need to play him. But I also think that Weideman should be rewarded for 7 goals in the vfl. 

With Ben Brown I can understand bringing in a talented forward who even though has had injuries and form concerns last year he has a history of being a highly effective key position forward. These are valid points, but bringing him in because we invested money and picks etc. should not be one of them. 

Let him find some continuity in his game which he has lacked for over a year. Then bring him in.

• Like 1

May and Fritta, when fit, are walk up starters in our best 18 (hell May is probably first selected each week). I would say Ben Brown is too. 

All three are too important for us to risk, even if they are only a little bit off full fitness. Given the side is playing beautifully, and given we have other forward options, I think the only player they will rush in even if he's a little underdone, would be May, as with all due respect to Petty, May is irreplaceable, and Richmond have some serious fire power up forward. 

I would not be opposed to playing May and not dropping Petty, as May could quite easily play on one of Richmond's smalls, or on Dusty when he goes forward. If we could fit May, Petty, Lever and Tomlinson in the same backline, this week would be a good time to do it. 

On a side note, I think Petty will be a player, and I worry he will try to leave for greater opportunities elsewhere if he can't get games in our jam-packed backline and forwardline. 

• Like 2

Every player will want to play this week and win for Jones 300 .May in fore sure sadly for Petty.Really do need a tall forward as a marking target,maybe Weid but Brown if he is really ready to go,M Brown a bit stif to miss but feel like he has become Pedersons replacement ,for back up

22 hours ago, AllMyTeamsAreWank said:

Players will walk taller for him on Saturday and that is worth an extra man. 

Even if that were true it would be negated by Tigers players walking taller for Dusty's 250th...

The biggest question yet to be answered is - Is May fit to play or not?? Any news from the club on this or is it just rumour?  It will be very difficult to win with Petty in instead of May

Aside from that Fritsch and Weed come in for Brown and Melksham

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mel Bourne said:

If Fritsch does get named, steel yourselves for some horrible vision of Grimes punching at his hand off the play, all night. 

Would be the perfect night for Jones to run right through Grimes then, and ensure he accidentally stands on his hands so he can't do it again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DubDee said:

The biggest question yet to be answered is - Is May fit to play or not?? Any news from the club on this or is it just rumour?  It will be very difficult to win with Petty in instead of May

Aside from that Fritsch and Weed come in for Brown and Melksham

news from the club?never happens

2 hours ago, praha said:

One hopes your dreams come true, praha.

I'd think that if we run until we spew, at the end of 100 minutes of game time, we will win reasonably comfortably; our other football skills are building and improving so we might just surprise the Tigers.

However, more than any other side in the League that we come up against, these are going to be big requirements: play bloody good footy across a full 100 minutes, tackle hard, pick best options (not just convenient exits) and deploy widespread mongrel so that Richmond players keep looking over their shoulders. 'Carna Dees! Put 'em off their game.

Edited by Deemania since 56

On Nibbler, his stats pro vision is well worth a look a:

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I296420/Neal-Bullen-Alex

I've noted before but it is fascinating way to look at players game and appears to be completely accessible to all now (previously you need AFL live pass)

Some reflections on his involvements:

• Not big number of involvements across the board,
  • Very quiet in the first half
  • Had a big 3rd quarter
  • Got most of his involvements on the half back line 
  • But also in the centre, HF and deep forward
  • A running machine
  • On the above point i doubt he covers as much ground as many of his teammates, but the running he does is often high intensity sprints
  • Often spent when he gets the ball - hence the signature nibbler inhale face 
  • Really important to our defensive structure 
  • A junkyard dog

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimmyGadson said:

They beat St Kilda by 80+ pints. 

We had a great single quarter which won us the game against Hawthorn. 

I think you're greatly underestimating how good Richmond are at their best and their consistency in big games. 

For us to win, we'll need to bring the 2018 elim finals type pressure for four quarters as well as being sharpshooters in front of goal. 

Anything less will result in a loss. 

Yep, any talk along the lines that Richmond are not a threat is quite ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Send a forewarning sms to the umpires because it surely is going to happen. Whie you are at it, request some head-high protection from Lynch's elbow.

2 hours ago, praha said:

I love this confidence!

• Like 1

I'm really nervous about this game. My Dad just asked me how to buy a membership and my girlfriend who hasn't given a stuff about Melbourne since half way through 2018 just texted me asking if she can come as well. Last time we had this kind of buzz we all know what happened.... 

• Like 1