TEAMS: Rd 14 vs St. Kilda

Demonland

1 hour ago, Pates said:

Wasn’t expecting 6 changes, I sort of wonder if the selection committee started falling down a rabbit hole of sorts when changes started. Gawn was obviously going to be a walk up start when available and sadly for Preuss it makes sense he makes way. Jones in for Sparrow just makes sense, I really would love Jones to pull out a classic performance (maybe get one over his little bro). 

But after that as I said the domino’s started falling. TMac has had chance after chance and done very little, it’s sad to see him go from one of the competitions top forwards to what he is now in the space for 18-24 months. Brown deserves this opportunity. 

Fritta out is a big call but I’m ok with it, he had been doing very little lately particularly when the game is there to be won. This could be the kick up the bum he needs. 

Harmes probably deserves it as well but I think he’s been horribly mismanaged. I would’ve preferred to see a positional change that puts him in the forward line, potentially taking AvB’s role. 

Happy seeing Rivers back in, less thrilled about seeing OMac (though I’m a fan) and Wagner. 

I’ve tipped the Saints and these changes don’t fill be with confidence. Like so many other matches it’s going to be down to our midfield working harder than the opposition and taking our chances when they come. I’ve been feeling Weid has a big bag in him this year (he should had a couple already), if it happens this game it could be the making of him. 

tmac was never a top forward

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Deeoldfart said:

I strongly applaud the decision to drop Fritsch.  Without decent culture, we will never have a decent team.  On this score, it seems that Bayley left the Match C'tee with no option.

Absolutely unbelievable that a player can be late for training when they're all locked up in the same hotel. Presumably he's sharing a room with a team mate - couldn't they've woken him etc Fritsch should've been fined $$$$$ rather than rob the side of a couple of goals, not sure if his replacement will kick any. Another case of how unprofessional we r.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Deetective Sgt. Taggert said:

Vanders was backing josh Wagner for a callup so no major surprises there. Brown showed his value in the preseason so not sure why so many complaints there either. Gonna back the ins this week given that we must have some useful intel from their former head coach. 

Not sure VDB has good judgement, he gives away dumb 50m penalties that cost us goals.

• Like 1

I like Lockhart but for those questioning his omission it's worth going back and looking closely at the tapes. He made a lot of little errors which cost us dearly and I suspect he still has a lot of work to do on his defensive positioning within our structure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, forever demons said:

tmac was never a top forward

50+ goals in a season where we made finals is not top enough for you? 

EDIT: missing first 5 games through injury as well

Edited by Pates
  • Like 5

LEVER. MAY. HIBBERD. 

SALEM.  TOMLINSON. RIVERS  

LANGDON. VINEY. BRAYSHAW. 

MELKSHAM. Brown. Vandenburg. 

PICKETT.  WEIDEMAN. Hannan. 

GAWN. PETRACCA. OLIVER. 

JONES  spargo ? oscar? jwagner ?

best 22?  Add in 6    JACKSON* BENNELL FRITSCH HARMES LOCKHART SPARROW*

Edited by spirit of norm smith
A

Boy oh boy, what a shake up. Not a lot here that I personally agree with but hey, prove me wrong Goody!!

Love Jonesy but he’s not exactly killing it and coming back one week off a soft tissue injury at his age is ridiculous. If he was still in our top 3 players I’d roll the dice but right now he’s not worth the risk.

I can handle Oscar coming in as we’ll need a tall defender when Ryder/Marshall rest forward.

Watch these two try bully Max as well. They’re both in good form and very physical. I would have kept TMc in to give Max a chop out as he’ll need it. Not sure if Brown can help much here. If Weid has to ruck I’ll be filthy. Leave the kid up forward.

Feel for Harmes. He’s lost in defence. Let him take Jones’s role up forward and rotate with Petracca.

Shocked at Lockhart. Thought he was tracking along well and he would have been one of my first pick with Butler, Billing’s and Kent roaming. Not sure who’s left with pace for us as a small defender.

Well done to Wags getting another game, has obviously earnt it and deserves it. No idea why he’s been picked as he won’t help us with pace or skills but anyways - here’s hoping he goes well.

If someone was to tell me at the start of the year that at the pointy end we’re in a do or die match with Wags, OMc, Brown, Spargo and Rivers (although I now love this kid) all in I’d assume we would be smashed by injuries - not playing these lads on form over some others 

Edited by Deeko2

1 minute ago, Deeko2 said:

Shocked at Lockhart. Thought he was tracking along well and he would have been one of my first pick with Butler, Billing’s and Kent roaming. Not sure who’s left with pace for us as a small defender.

Can’t believe this. He made some errors. But also some crucial spoils, smothers, tackles and runs. 

WE HAVE NIL SMALL DEFENDERS. 

SAINTS HAVE SIX SMALL PACY FORWARDS. 

FFS. WTF. GOODY !!!!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

LEVER. MAY. HIBBERD. 

GAWN. PETRACCA. OLIVER. 

Assume Harmes not played on a hbf. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

LEVER. MAY. HIBBERD. 

GAWN. PETRACCA. OLIVER. 

Bennell has completely fallen off the map, is it possible they’re basically calling this year done for him and getting him ready to take on 2021 with more in the tank?

I’ve liked seeing him in the side as he adds some skill and magic, I would personally have him in over the likes of Spargo and JWag. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pates said:

Bennell has completely fallen off the map, is it possible they’re basically calling this year done for him and getting him ready to take on 2021 with more in the tank?

I’ve liked seeing him in the side as he adds some skill and magic, I would personally have him in over the likes of Spargo and JWag. 

Bennell is just being managed with a plan throughout the year. Will be back for the Freo game, small chance for Sydney.

28 minutes ago, cantstandyasam said:

Absolutely unbelievable that a player can be late for training when they're all locked up in the same hotel. Presumably he's sharing a room with a team mate - couldn't they've woken him etc Fritsch should've been fined $$$$$ rather than rob the side of a couple of goals, not sure if his replacement will kick any. Another case of how unprofessional we r.

Nope. A Fine is only felt on the individual. You want to build a team culture- this sets the standards. I reckon the leadership group probably made the call not the selection committee.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Skuit said:

I like Lockhart but for those questioning his omission it's worth going back and looking closely at the tapes. He made a lot of little errors which cost us dearly and I suspect he still has a lot of work to do on his defensive positioning within our structure. 

You are probably correct I will need to review the tape again, didn’t notice it first time. But on review I did notice a total lack of defensive effort out of our forward 50 and thru the middle that left our backline exposed repeatedly. I thought our backline held up and wouldn’t have been looking there for scapegoats. 

Dropping someone late to training is one of the dumbest things ive heard. Culture doesnt come thru discipline like this. You think he meant to turn up late? You really think he's has a habit of this, is a bad egg and needs to send a message to a lazy playing group? Is that whats happening here? If so, perhaps ok i can understand the logic. 

If you're late to work what happens.  Usually sfa, but worst they will hit you where it hurts. Your wallet.  Fine him 5k.  Thats the correct way to deal with this. Its the players fault and he alone should bear the cost.  Now the whole team and club is put in jeopardy.  You're telling me if Gawn doesnt turn up to training on time the monday before he's playing in a PF, hes dropped. Im almost hoping this happens to show the false hypocritical bravado of this decision.

Obviously the club thinks discipline like this will help with our midfields being able to hit a f****ing target when they are under no pressure because thats the sort of discipline id love to see.

• Like 5

Just now, Lord Nev said:

Bennell is just being managed with a plan throughout the year. Will be back for the Freo game, small chance for Sydney.

He has been below par. Great to get back but he is not in anyone’s best 22 at this stage. Reckon he’d be lucky to get a contract if lists are cut and he can’t get faster and fitter over the summer. Playing for his career..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pates said:

Bennell had a reasonable game against Carlton first up and then did less and less each week until he got dropped. Not sure where he sits at the moment.

• Like 1

Just now, CYB said:

He has been below par. Great to get back but he is not in anyone’s best 22 at this stage. Reckon he’d be lucky to get a contract if lists are cut and he can’t get faster and fitter over the summer. Playing for his career..

Disagree, he's already exceeded expectations for his first year by playing a few games. The club always took a long term view with him and the fact they're managing him physically with that long term view still tells you what the club thinks of his future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jjrogan said:

Dropping someone late to training is one of the dumbest things ive heard. Culture doesnt come thru discipline like this. You think he meant to turn up late? You really think he's has a habit of this, is a bad egg and needs to send a message to a lazy playing group? Is that whats happening here? If so, perhaps ok i can understand the logic. 

If you're late to work what happens.  Usually sfa, but worst they will hit you where it hurts. Your wallet.  Fine him 5k.  Thats the correct way to deal with this. Its the players fault and he alone should bear the cost.  Now the whole team and club is put in jeopardy.  You're telling me if Gawn doesnt turn up to training on time the monday before he's playing in a PF, hes dropped. Im almost hoping this happens to show the false hypocritical bravado of this decision.

Obviously the club thinks discipline like this will help with our midfields being able to hit a f****ing target when they are under no pressure because thats the sort of discipline id love to see.

Wow. This is a genuinely a mind-boggling post.

Do we know why he was late? If not, how the hell would you know?

Culture doesn't come through turning up to your job on time? Are you kidding me? Take some responsibility. He has. He copped it on the chin and came out today and played well in the practice match.

Edited by A F
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

I keep changing my mind.

I think we will beat them actually.  Saints are much improved but nothing special.

Pickett-on- the -Fence2?

1 minute ago, A F said:

Wow. This is genuinely a mind-boggling post.

Do we know why he was late? If not, how the hell would you know?

Culture doesn't come through turning up to your job on time? Are you kidding me? Take some responsibility. He has. He copped it on the chin and came out today and played well in the practice match.

Like i said. The only way i can understand this is if its a repeated thing.  The culture of a workplace falls apart if someone is late to work one day? Really? Is that your position?

I never said he shouldn't be punished. I said if its not a team wide thing then the entire playing group should not be punished. 

Sorry it boggled your mind. Hope you're never late for anything. 

9 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

Like i said. The only way i can understand this is if its a repeated thing.  The culture of a workplace falls apart if someone is late to work one day? Really? Is that your position?

I never said he shouldn't be punished. I said if its not a team wide thing then the entire playing group should not be punished. 

Sorry it boggled your mind. Hope you're never late for anything. 

I'm always late, but I work for myself.

Fritsch is living amongst his team mates and manages to be late. I know no further details, but given the club dropped him, I'm betting there were no extenuating circumstances. It's [censored] unacceptable. You are half way to bloody training, given you're living with team mates.

And it's about accountability, so yes, work place culture does fall apart with no accountability.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2