VFL to Merge with NSW & QLD State League

Demonland

This is massive. I'm just thinking the additional expenditure to fly VFL teams around the country... frankly I find it baffling.

This bit struck me too:

"The Victorian clubs as well as Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast will be allowed to either field their own teams in the new VFL, align with an existing team or spread their players across multiple clubs."

So the current alignments are void or? 

I'm trying to work out how the AFL saves money here.

Another thing:

"while Northern Club Academies (Sydney Swans, GWS GIANTS, Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast SUNS) will be provided with greater responsibility and investment."

So more investment for the Northern clubs.

And interesting to see that the AFL Talent Committee is pretty much Clarkson and most of his former associates.

• AFL Talent Committee – Alastair Clarkson, Luke Beveridge, Chris Fagan, Damien Hardwick, Stephen Wells, Jason McCartney and Ned Guy

Edited by A F
  • Shocked 1

Just now, A F said:

This is massive. I'm just thinking the additional expenditure to fly VFL teams around the country... frankly I find it baffling.

This bit struck me too:

"The Victorian clubs as well as Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast will be allowed to either field their own teams in the new VFL, align with an existing team or spread their players across multiple clubs."

So the alignments

they are kidding surely

• Like 1

I was talking to my partner about this the other day and said to her there should just be the Eastern Football League with Victoria, NSW and Qld.

Fast forward two days and this news comes out.

Not a fan of it being called the VFL though. I think EFL (Eastern Football League) is a great idea and will help build a strong second tier comp for all Eastern clubs.

I assume we will maintain the Casey link.

3 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

I was talking to my partner about this the other day and said to her there should just be the Eastern Football League with Victoria, NSW and Qld.

Not a fan of it being called the VFL though. I think EFL (Eastern Football League) is a great idea and will help build a strong second tier comp for all Eastern clubs.

Yes, surely we stay aligned to Casey, especially given we’ve tipped money into the refurb of facilities? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

Jeepers. Your partner cares what happens with the second tier comp in the AFL? Or was she just going 'yes, Action Jackson, darling, I'm listening'.

My wife doesn't even care when her Hawks are playing. She knows more about Demonland internal politics than football.

And that's the way I like it. Very easy to convince her who our son in the womb should support. ;)

Edited by A F
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

I also think as this plays out they should really limit this competition to 10 Victorian clubs and then the 4 northern sides.

Based on last year's VFL this will likely be as follows:

Casey Demons

Richmond

Collingwood

Essendon

Footscray

Geelong

Box Hill

North Melbourne

Sandringham

Northern Blues

This will then mean there are 14 sides in the comp and they can play a 26 game season to play each other home and away.

Edited by Action Jackson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, A F said:

Jeepers. Your partner cares what happens with the second tier comp in the AFL? Or was she just going 'yes, Action Jackson, darling, I'm listening'.

My wife doesn't even care when her Hawks are playing. She knows more about Demonland internal politics than football.

And that's the way I like it. Very easy to convince her who our son in the womb should support. ;)

LOL

She works in marketing for an intermediary of the AFL so is actually interested in this stuff.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A F said:

You seem a pretty compassionate bloke, so i assume your son will be a hawks fan?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, binman said:

You seem a pretty compassionate bloke, so i assume your son will be a hawks fan?

Haha, being a Melbourne supporter is character-building, mate.

• Like 1

Seems like an interesting choice, I know there have been VFL clubs that haven’t been able to continue to operate following Coronavirus but how will flights and accommodation be paid for if clubs are struggling?

Definitely shouldn’t be called the VFL; EFL, EAFL (Eastern Australia Football League), or ECFL (East Coast Football League). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pates said:

Seems like an interesting choice, I know there have been VFL clubs that haven’t been able to continue to operate following Coronavirus but how will flights and accommodation be paid for if clubs are struggling?

Definitely shouldn’t be called the VFL; EFL, EAFL (Eastern Australia Football League), or ECFL (East Coast Football League). 

they mooted this several months ago.

The devil will be in the detail.

I suspect that the second team will travel with the senior team thus saving on costs.

When we play an SA or WA team the second team has a bye.

Port and Williamstown etc will have to align or leave the comp as I can't see the AFL funding a non aligned club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

I suspect the main driver about this change is to save money. I assume the extra costs of flying plus, presumably, accommodation, are offset by other savings. Maybe there will be a significant reduction in the number of teams to be fielded across the four states/territories. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

I also think as this plays out they should really limit this competition to 10 Victorian clubs and then the 4 northern sides.

Based on last year's VFL this will likely be as follows:

Casey Demons

Richmond

Collingwood

Essendon

Footscray

Geelong

Box Hill

North Melbourne

Sandringham

Northern Blues

This will then mean there are 14 sides in the comp and they can play a 26 game season to play each other home and away.

What happens to  stand alone clubs like Port Melbourne - maybe we could part align with thwm too and have Casey/Port grounds to develop

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

Doubt it

the ten Melbourne based teams and the four Northern teams do not play each other twice at senior level. At most they play 18 rounds allowing for a minimum of four games against WA and SA based teams.

That will be the absolute cap for the VFL.

I suspect it will be closer to 16-17 games to balance out the VFL (AFL) senior teams who play WA and SA teams twice

• Angry 1

20 minutes ago, cantstandyasam said:

What happens to  stand alone clubs like Port Melbourne - maybe we could part align with thwm too and have Casey/Port grounds to develop

My bet is that Port and Williamstown will leave the comp and enter another league.

Coburg and Franskston... who knows.

The VFL experience will be the poorer for the absence of these traditional clubs and grounds.

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

Haha, being a Melbourne supporter is character-building, mate.

That's the way AF Life wasn't meant to be easy. Make the kid tough it out.  Poor thing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cantstandyasam said:

Port Melb for me.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, deebug said:

Well after hearing we will be in forced lock down for another 12 monthes, i'm not surprised.?

That's not the plan. They just want the safety net of being able to lock down an additional two weeks. Once you force the community transmission to zero, hopefully in 2-3 weeks time, you then look for two weeks of no community transmission and then you can open things back up to stage 3, otherwise the whole thing is for nought.

I get that it's frustrating, I'm trying to operate a business too, but for the sake of my parents, their friends and other vulnerable people over 70 or otherwise, it's a sacrifice worth making. Mind you, I doubt it'll pass parliament. 

Edited by A F
  • Like 1