Training Ground?

Romey

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, old dee said:

I constantly wander onto this thread Inspite of the fact nothing has changed. My God I am incurable. 

Never fear Old Dee, we are at the feasibility study stage.

Edited by Hawk the Demon
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Never fear Old Dee, we are at the feasibility study stage.

I have heard that a few times in the last 20 years Hawk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, old dee said:

I have heard that a few times in the last 20 years Hawk.

Been going on longer than that @old dee....the infamous merger talks were about getting us a training base at Glenferrie oval.....28 years later we have....zip, nada....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Been going on longer than that @old dee....the infamous merger talks were about getting us a training base at Glenferrie oval.....28 years later we have....zip, nada....

Sad but too true. With the way our state govs finances are I cannot see any change this decade. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, roy11 said:

Whenever I bring this up with a cats fan he always replies asking who paid for the MCG etc.

Massive difference is that KP is exclusive training and home ground for Geelong.
MCG is shared by 4+ clubs and is used several times each weekend, as well as test and other forms of cricket 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

• 3 weeks later...

im tempted to mention Fishermans Bend as a rejected idea. I certainly have had no response from the club to my enquiry at AGM.

. I have also not pursued any further on the project as really I would support Caulfield if it is feasible.

However I am going to the display in Parkville as part of design week to see if they have any valid suggestions. They may at least have some connections,

• Like 1

Fisherman's Bend is slated for intensive high rise development, hosting training facilities there is very unlikely.

Parkville is Carlton's turf, good luck with that.

Caulfield is an option, a definite possibility and ticks many boxes, its why MFC are pushing for this. I can see it happening because it appears MRC want the Dees there.

• Like 2

MRC couldn’t care less, they will be just another tenant.

The MFC has been negotiating with the Save Caulfield racetrack group.

Attached are some minutes from the last failed meeting.

mfc meeting notes.docx

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, bluey said:

Yes a tenant, a reliable long-term tenant which carries its own value for them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, No. 31 said:

Yes a tenant, a reliable long-term tenant which carries its own value for them.

Well I guess you mean (them) the Caulfield Trust, who would possibly be our landlord.

There is no money that I can see, not a cent.

The MFC proposal will go before a struggling State Government in the 2025 budget.

If the works did receive the go ahead in 2025, would take years to put a shovel into the ground, especially if the issue does finish before the courts, appeals and Vcat etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluey said:

There is no money that I can see, not a cent.

The MFC proposal will go before a struggling State Government in the 2025 budget.

If the works did receive the go ahead in 2025, would take years to put a shovel into the ground, especially if the issue does finish before the courts, appeals and Vcat etc.

If it's only going ahead with State Govt grant approval then i would hazard a guess this proposal's already dead in the water under a Labor Govt.

Unless we have some heavy hitters connected to some key operatives within the Labor Govt or one of the key influencers is a fanatical Demon , there's no way a Govt that touts itself as 'the friend of the working class' (which of course it no longer is....but still parrots this rubbish for any fools who continue to believe such nonsense) will give a cent to a club affiliated with the MCC.  Traditionally considered an upper class institution.

Yes all clubs are represented in terms of who makes up its MCC membership base but barring someone within the MFC having the ear of a big hittter of some key Govt operative/s (or a mad Demon supporter within the party...unlikely) this will most likely be the way it pans out (behind the scenes) imv.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, bluey said:

mfc meeting notes.docx 138.93 kB · 15 downloads

Thanks for posting notes Bluey. Genuinely interested in your last line “failed meeting”, how so? Seems to be pretty positive dialogue from reading the notes where most of the concerns of the local group are actually going to be met. Seems to be good compromise to me between all parties. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bluey said:

mfc meeting notes.docx 138.93 kB · 16 downloads

The real concern for us is once what is written in Blueys note:

"Feasibility study will be finished in July. A business case to be finished by January. This is then to be submitted to government for grant in 2025 budget. The grant will only be for the mfc facilities. Not funding other parts of the pubic reserve"

So no construction will commence until 2026!   Our current Board had end of 2023 as the start date in the previous business plan. 

Why do we need a business case to be completed 6 months AFTER the feasibility study?.  It should be done now and be ready now. 

• Like 3

On 16/05/2024 at 13:44, No. 31 said:

I took my young son to Carlton's open training session at Princes Park last Sunday morning.

It was full of families with young kids.

These type of events are important in helping grow engagement with a club amongst children I say.

It is a further reason why a Caulfield facility is important so that MFC can organise similar events that aren't just in far flung Casey on the very fringe of S.E. metro Melbourne.

As an aside, I took my son to play in the playground next to Ikon Park after te open training session finished, was filled with kiddies from the Blues training session and from the local Auskick that had finished that morning. There were actually quite a few kids in Demons guernsey's, never knew that Carlton North/Brunswick was a bit of a Dees supporting hotbed 😊

We have those days at Goschs about 4/5 days per year or any training day you care to go. And for kids!!! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

The real concern for us is once what is written in Blueys note:

"Feasibility study will be finished in July. A business case to be finished by January. This is then to be submitted to government for grant in 2025 budget. The grant will only be for the mfc facilities. Not funding other parts of the pubic reserve"

So no construction will commence until 2026!   Our current Board had end of 2023 as the start date in the previous business plan. 

Why do we need a business case to be completed 6 months AFTER the feasibility study?.  It should be done now and be ready now. 

Really George you are nitpicking. Who is running the show Us or caulfied or the council or govt.? 

Word from inside the Fremantle camp is that the Dockers are pumped and supremely confident about getting the W today. They’ve beaten us the last two times at home and don’t see beating us at Alice Springs as a problem.

• Angry 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Word from inside the Fremantle camp is that the Dockers are pumped and supremely confident about getting the W today. They’ve beaten us the last two times at home and don’t see beating us at Alice Springs as a problem.

yeah but how would they go at caulfield race course?

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, No. 31 said:

Fisherman's Bend is slated for intensive high rise development, hosting training facilities there is very unlikely.

Parkville is Carlton's turf, good luck with that.

Caulfield is an option, a definite possibility and ticks many boxes, its why MFC are pushing for this. I can see it happening because it appears MRC want the Dees there.

Sorry 31, I was a bit obscure. the reference to Parkville was for a Melbourne Design Week event "What Killed Fishermans Bend? which was an amazing installation by Paul van Herk and Gabriella Amstalden Martens.

In 5 rooms they had displayed an array which would discourage anyone trying to make any headway in this bureaucratic, financial, corporate, political and social space.

It was simply amazing the amount of material they had collected and displayed. Far too much for me to consume let alone digest. I have discovered some information I was aware of and some I had only thought were unsubstantiated rumours. I certainly saw much evidence of opportunity still available.

It would certainly be enough to encourage a club looking for a quick fix to hope that any alternative option would be an improvement. I do recognise that the time frames identified within this thread do not seem to be quick but in the context of this display it would appear to be.

It is unfortunate that MFC were not identified in any of the material or of having any participation. A well presented feasibility may have altered the course of the total project. Just a missed opportunity while we plough towards a Caulfiekd solution. 

I congratulated the initiator of the project and look forward to further contact. They have a wealth of knowledge and expertise. I do intend to add some enthusiasm to their continuing research.

After the disappointment of todays football performance I will increase my interest in a part of the club I can influence. I see the opportunity and if we dont take it, someone else (Collingwood or Carlton maybe even St Kilda) will   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dpositive said:

Sorry 31, I was a bit obscure. the reference to Parkville was for a Melbourne Design Week event "What Killed Fishermans Bend? which was an amazing installation by Paul van Herk and Gabriella Amstalden Martens.

In 5 rooms they had displayed an array which would discourage anyone trying to make any headway in this bureaucratic, financial, corporate, political and social space.

It was simply amazing the amount of material they had collected and displayed. Far too much for me to consume let alone digest. I have discovered some information I was aware of and some I had only thought were unsubstantiated rumours. I certainly saw much evidence of opportunity still available.

It would certainly be enough to encourage a club looking for a quick fix to hope that any alternative option would be an improvement. I do recognise that the time frames identified within this thread do not seem to be quick but in the context of this display it would appear to be.

It is unfortunate that MFC were not identified in any of the material or of having any participation. A well presented feasibility may have altered the course of the total project. Just a missed opportunity while we plough towards a Caulfiekd solution. 

I congratulated the initiator of the project and look forward to further contact. They have a wealth of knowledge and expertise. I do intend to add some enthusiasm to their continuing research.

After the disappointment of todays football performance I will increase my interest in a part of the club I can influence. I see the opportunity and if we dont take it, someone else (Collingwood or Carlton maybe even St Kilda) will   

Sounds like a very informative experience!

I totally forgot about Melb Design Week this year, always some great exhibits on. Feel free to share those details via PM if you feel! 

18 minutes ago, layzie said:

I totally forgot about Melb Design Week this year, always some great exhibits on. Feel free to share those details via PM if you feel! 

probably too much data and not all easily accessible. Ill do what I can but will be dependent upon the exhibitors links etc.

A lot of his material appeared to come from public spaces, including fishermans bend websites which i have sporadically visited. it was always a bit frustrating as there was never any consideration of a stadium, entertainment, community space and retail centre included anywhere and no indication of approach by MFC. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dpositive said:

probably too much data and not all easily accessible. Ill do what I can but will be dependent upon the exhibitors links etc.

A lot of his material appeared to come from public spaces, including fishermans bend websites which i have sporadically visited. it was always a bit frustrating as there was never any consideration of a stadium, entertainment, community space and retail centre included anywhere and no indication of approach by MFC. 

No dramas! I'm reading the exhibit details on the website so that's enough for now. Good to read a bit about their backgrounds.

53 minutes ago, layzie said:

Melb Design Week - is this for a new game plan?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The train wreck continues.

I would like to know who the AFL negotiator is.

Friends of the racecourse requested a public forum, I imagine the MFC will fob them off as well, hopeless just hopeless.

Response from the council regarding our petition for a public meeting

Thank you for your recent petition submitted to the last Ordinary Meeting of Council held on 
Thursday 13 June, 2024, requesting that Council holds a public forum to discuss the proposal for 
Melbourne Football Club to reside permanently at Caulfield Racecourse Reserve. At the 
meeting Councillors resolved to accept the petition and referred it to me as Chief Executive 
Officer to respond. 
From the wording accompanying the petition you, and other petitioners, are aware that the 
proposal under consideration is not a Council project, nor is Council a decision maker. While 
Council has been consulted on technical aspects relating to the alignment of the project with 
Council’s endorsed Structure Plan and recreation and open space strategies, we are not the 
best party to hold a forum on this matter. We are unable to speak with any authority on the 
feasibility project, nor are we privy to all of the information that community members might 
seek clarity on. 
We do agree that is important for the Melbourne Football Club, and even the Caulfield 
Racecourse Reserve Trust as the responsible landowner, to share as much information as 
possible with interested community members. In response to your petition I have reached out 
to the Club and the consultants supporting them in conducting the feasibility study. I have 
offered to host a forum where they could brief the community on their plans and answer any 
questions. Councillors and council officers could also attend that forum and hear first hand the 
issues raised.
I understand that the Club is currently considering my request, and once I hear back from them 
I will provide further advice. In the meantime you may wish to also direct your advocacy for a 
public forum to the relevant State MPs as the State Government holds the ultimate authority 
over the project, including its communication and engagement plan. 
Regards
Rebecca McKenzie
Chief Executive Officer

• Thanks 1