SOS Leaving

Redleg

48 minutes ago, Redleg said:
On 10/22/2019 at 5:25 PM, Redleg said:

"I heard a whisper that SOS is leaving the Blue scum.

Anyone else heard anything on that topic?"

You heard it first on the No T$ no BS thread, where all the major footy news is broken.

Ha ha ha nice blowing your own trumpet ? there Red. Well done. 

You must be the new #bestnewsbreakerondemonland now. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Ha ha ha nice blowing your own trumpet ? there Red. Well done. 

You must be the new #bestnewsbreakerondemonland now. 

Thank you DemonOX,  but I am happy to leave that title with our own great Ethan Tremblay and just provide some assistance to him here and there.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

"Despite his overwhelming success"... would love the good people at the Herald Sun to conduct my workplace appraisal.

18th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 16th.

Screenshot 2019-11-08 at 7.44.08 AM.png

I'd revisit in a year or 2, they are very well set up moving forward absolutely love their spine and their outside ball users

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I'd revisit in a year or 2, they are very well set up moving forward absolutely love their spine and their outside ball users

Exactly- I’d say it was an ‘overwhelming success’ when they can move up the ladder higher than 16th.

SOS has made very dubious decisions at both GWS and Carlton.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Redleg said:
On 10/22/2019 at 5:25 PM, Redleg said:

"I heard a whisper that SOS is leaving the Blue scum.

Anyone else heard anything on that topic?"

You heard it first on the No T$ no BS thread, where all the major footy news is broken.

Never doubted you a second Mr. Leg. 

Now can give me a date on when Mr. Goodloss leaves?

Edited by old dee

10 minutes ago, Dee Watcher said:

SOS went and got a heap of ex GWS players who didn't work out at GWS let alone Carlton.

They have a few good young players but its a fair way from be able to say it was a success or not.

He took on a bunch of the GWS players he didn’t want to absorb list spots or salary to get the ones he did want - Marchbank, Setterfield, Kennedy, Plowman - at a discount price. Top 10 picks for 2nd rounders. 

Shifted out the right players in Yarran, Henderson, Tuohy. 

Drafted a heap of talent in Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Walsh, Fisher, O’Brien, SPS, Stocker etc.

Apart from possibly a bad miss with Dow I’d say he’s done a heck of a job. Especially once they land Martin.

The best example since GWS and then maybe going back to Hawthorn before that of the complete rebuild. It will undoubtedly pay dividends over the next 5 years. I’m convinced of it. 

Unfortunately we stuffed up the rebuild twice so had to bring in Roos who traded away a bunch of high picks for instant starters in Tyson, Vince, Hibberd and Melksham and we didn’t assemble the right depth of youth. We’ve had to pay big money for key defenders, we’ve been found severely wanting in midfield run and we aren’t sorted with forward line talent either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

He took on a bunch of the GWS players he didn’t want to absorb list spots or salary to get the ones he did want - Marchbank, Setterfield, Kennedy, Plowman - at a discount price. Top 10 picks for 2nd rounders. 

Shifted out the right players in Yarran, Henderson, Tuohy. 

Drafted a heap of talent in Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Walsh, Fisher, O’Brien, SPS, Stocker etc.

Apart from possibly a bad miss with Dow I’d say he’s done a heck of a job. Especially once they land Martin.

The best example since GWS and then maybe going back to Hawthorn before that of the complete rebuild. It will undoubtedly pay dividends over the next 5 years. I’m convinced of it. 

Unfortunately we stuffed up the rebuild twice so had to bring in Roos who traded away a bunch of high picks for instant starters in Tyson, Vince, Hibberd and Melksham and we didn’t assemble the right depth of youth. We’ve had to pay big money for key defenders, we’ve been found severely wanting in midfield run and we aren’t sorted with forward line talent either. 

So what you are saying when you compare the last two seasons and where the two teams finished, Carlton was a hell of a lot better?

2 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

So what you are saying when you compare the last two seasons and where the two teams finished, Carlton was a hell of a lot better?

No, I’m comparing list build strategies and think Carlton’s was far superior to ours. Helped by them having the cash and seemingly backing of the league to do a full tear down rebuild.  

I don’t think Roos and co did a bad job, they had no option but to bring in talent and get immediate improvement. Only we’re now stuck in the middle of the ladder list wise and need to absolutely nail some top picks and trades this year to get momentum back. 

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

No, I’m comparing list build strategies and think Carlton’s was far superior to ours. Helped by them having the cash and seemingly backing of the league to do a full tear down rebuild.  

I don’t think Roos and co did a bad job, they had no option but to bring in talent and get immediate improvement. Only we’re now stuck in the middle of the ladder list wise and need to absolutely nail some top picks and trades this year to get momentum back. 

Hang on, didn't the AFL appoint Peter Jackson for us and then back up the cash truck so we could get Roos?

Also, Carlton with their apparent fantastic rebuild have finished 18th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 16th over the last 5 years.
Melbourne have gone 13th, 11th, 9th, 4th and of course 17th.

To imply Carlton have done it better is to ignore facts as they stand and to make a prediction based on opinion, not a statement based on tangible evidence.

Seems you might be riding the 'Teague train' a bit too hard DS.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Exactly- I’d say it was an ‘overwhelming success’ when they can move up the ladder higher than 16th.

SOS has made very dubious decisions at both GWS and Carlton.

As i said we'll revisit in a  year or 2, just like Brissy who only won 5 games in 2018

• Demonland changed the title to SOS Leaving
28 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Hang on, didn't the AFL appoint Peter Jackson for us and then back up the cash truck so we could get Roos?

Also, Carlton with their apparent fantastic rebuild have finished 18th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 16th over the last 5 years.
Melbourne have gone 13th, 11th, 9th, 4th and of course 17th.

To imply Carlton have done it better is to ignore facts as they stand and to make a prediction based on opinion, not a statement based on tangible evidence.

Seems you might be riding the 'Teague train' a bit too hard DS.

The AFL endorsed message in hiring Roos was very much please stop losing and improve immediately. We did that, but Tyson and Vince are gone and Hibberd is on his last legs. And the Lewis experiment is mercifully over. Meanwhile apart from a priority pick situation allowing them to get a couple of mature players the league has been happy watching Carlton accumulate talent.

The tangible evidence is the fruits of our rebuild in terms of young highly rated talent.

Top 30 draft picks between 2012-2016 at Melbourne:
Inherited for 2014: Viney, Toumpas (ouch), Hogan (departed as the club culture/professionalism/injury prevention didn't harness his talent)

Drafted: Salem, Petracca, Brayshaw, Lever, Oliver, Weideman.

Total: 9 players, 2 since departed.

Top 30 draft picks between 2013-2018 at Carlton:
Inherited for 2015: Cripps

Drafted/Traded: Pickett (bust), Marchbank, Weitering, Kennedy, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham, Setterfield, SPS, Fisher, Dow, O'Brien, De Koning, Walsh, Stocker

Total: 16 players, 1 departed. 

Even if you remove the guys in the 20's (Fisher, Cuningham, De Koning) it's still 12 v 7. 

Short term ladder position isn't a major concern in assessing a list build and the job of a list manager. The aim of the game is to win a flag and Sos has put Carlton in a very strong position. Melbourne aren't in a bad position and if winning a flag is climbing a mountain then we got some elevation last year, but have fallen down and need to regather. The closer to the summit the harder it gets but Carlton have a pretty clear path to zoom straight up to base camp and then have a good window.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The tangible evidence is the fruits of our rebuild in terms of young highly rated talent.

Disagree. The only 'tangible evidence' is ladder positions, not some meaningless 'talent rating'.

Edit - But let me add, I very much appreciate the work you put into that post, even if I don't agree with what you're saying. Thanks for going to the trouble.

Edited by Lord Nev