GAME DAY: Melbourne vs Richmond - JLT #1

Demonland

1 minute ago, Call Me What You Will said:

Dunstall has just said it all - nearly half the team out, and most of our best players. No panics yet. Of course Dermie tries to intellectualise an opposite view. Absolutely no idea what he said or what he meant?

Very easy to get tired of listening to Dermie, he loves to hear his own voice.

8 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Based on his five possessions in one half of a JLT game? 

Probably more based off the following.

1. Kent has been traded

2. Hannan is injured

3. Spargo hasn't looked great either.

• Like 1

How JKH is still on our list is incredible. Still just as soft and poor in the contest as he's ever been. 

Obviously, there's no syngery with the makeshift backline, but more pressing, Preuss has answered the question about whether he'll play this year. I wouldn't have him near my 22 as his tank is nowhere near AFL level. We will get exposed big time on grounds like the G with him playing.

Oliver and Brayshaw outstanding early and then can't get their hands on the ball. A disappointing 2nd and 3rd quarter from them. Petracca failing to maintain a semblance of consistency too.

It's only pre season but it's a good reminder of our weaknesses. Most of our missing top players outside of Viney are backs and the way we've played since quarter time would mean that even at full strength, our defence would be under extreme pressure.

We're still in massive trouble if Gawn goes down. Preuss is about a 3 if Max is a 10.

Edited by A F

They're very much the same team, the Tigers. I'm not too worried about any of this. When we had some of our starters in, we looked the better side. Plenty of reasons to have confidence. I'm not even sure that our depth is even that bad. They're just outgunned. Any team has this many starters out they look crap. Except Pies last year.

• Like 7

Our forward entry then was a fine example of the difference in the players we are missing today.

We crumb it, it ends in the hand of Maynard who can't snap more than 20m out and it lands in Rance's hands, they run it down and kick a goal.  Have that land in Melksham's, AVB, Petracca etc and it's normally going to be a goal.  That's life in the JLT.

3 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

They're very much the same team, the Tigers. I'm not too worried about any of this. When we had some of our starters in, we looked the better side. Plenty of reasons to have confidence. I'm not even sure that our depth is even that bad. They're just outgunned. Any team has this many starters out they look crap. Except Pies last year.

Absolutely spot on, Dappa.

Not impressed with Preuss

Tigers just a class above.

We really lack speed, not only in the legs, but too slow to react.

• Like 1

Well... it's clear we didn't spend the Summer working on crumbing or forward pressure - because both are embarrassingly non-existent today.  No hunger for the contest.

...and of course we're still blazing it in on top of the forward's heads.

Not sure what we can take out of this except fitness.

Edited by Buzzy

4 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Our forward entry then was a fine example of the difference in the players we are missing today.

Max in is an instant +3 goals to us or -3 goals to them from high entries. Preuss just doesn't have his ability to drop in the hole... or at least doesn't have it based on what we've seen today.

Not ready to give up on Preuss yet. I think what'll happen is if we go 6-0 and he's plodding, he'll keep his spot. If we're 3-3 and the pressure is on, he'll go back to the VFL.

• Like 2

Swap Preuss for Max and see what happens.  Chalk and cheese.  Preuss couldn’t even run from one flank to another to make a throw in.

Our skills in finding targets through the middle and into half toward is poor.

Second stringers making lots of errors.

Forward pressure is not good enough.

There are no points on offer, thank god.

14 minutes ago, JAG001 said:

Very easy to get tired of listening to Dermie, he loves to hear his own voice.

I agree with him about us rarely going out wide to spread the opposition. We never switch. 

• Like 1