• Podcast: No Merger Podcast &      

Sign in to follow this  
Dee Dee

Gary Pert?

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I don’t blame Pert at all...

this is far more Football Department problems at this Point. But as CEO he now has to go flat out to get it sorted

Good call. Pert has overseen 52k membership and new balance resign. He gets a pass this year easily. His ceo clout will now be on display getting FD into shape. That will be his test next 12 months. If viney and jones are still skippers  then thats a failure at the first tough decision.

Time will tell 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

I would thought the credit there lies with the Marketing Dept TPF.

And they answer to and directed by .....?

Oh thats right. The CEO.

8 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Wouldn't that be Mahoney's responsibility as GM of football?

Yes, but Mahoney and Chaplin were teammates at Port for a few years.  So, unlikely that Chaplin is going anywhere. 

This is a good example of why Pert should have conducted the review himself with assistance of a one-on-one external consultant rather than abdicate it to Mahoney who is far too conflicted to objectively review his own patch.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Actually I do a family member was Marketing Manager at a successful AFL Club for 20 years. He was responsible for attracting what is the longest running sponsorship in the league. His job, his initiative brought the sponsor in, he was rewarded and still is acknowledged for it. Not the long forgotten CEO of the time.

Mate, you don’t have a damn clue. Marketing would have nothing to do with attracting & signing sponsors. This is the purview of the Commerical Dept. 

35 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes, but Mahoney and Chaplin were teammates at Port for a few years.  So, unlikely that Chaplin is going anywhere. 

This is a good example of why Pert should have conducted the review himself with assistance of a one-on-one external consultant rather than abdicate it to Mahoney who is far too conflicted to objectively review his own patch.

Nail on head. It's  so incestuous within the FD ...this bloke knows that, played with that guy  ..who coaches with...etc etc. Any attempt of an internal review is flawed. More so it smacks more of glossing over the problematic ones than of identifying  them and calling to task.

All we want  is honesty.

3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Nail on head. It's  so incestuous within the FD ...this bloke knows that, played with that guy  ..who coaches with...etc etc. Any attempt of an internal review is flawed. More so it smacks more of glossing over the problematic ones than of identifying  them and calling to task.

All we want  is honesty.

If Members hold back on next years payment, we will get honesty. It will just take a little time

• Like 1

The years been a disaster, an average of nine goals worse per game is dreadful! But that’s not a Pert issue!

McArtney, Mission and others will go, lets see who else goes before laying blame!

Agree with others that Chaplin hasn’t got through message to the backline, similar whoever is responsible for mids not running both ways!

2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Mate, you don’t have a damn clue. Marketing would have nothing to do with attracting & signing sponsors. This is the purview of the Commerical Dept. 

S you agree its not Perts job, cheers.

2 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

S you agree its not Perts job, cheers.

It’s his job to oversee all depts, but you still clearly have no clue.

5 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

It’s his job to oversee all depts, but you still clearly have no clue.

Bosses man eh. Yes, sir. Another on ignore

On 8/17/2019 at 5:20 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

I have changed my view on Pert 'abdicating' the review to Mahoney.  On listening to the Inside Melbourne podcast...

...Pert says he is involved in the review and the conversations related to Structures, People and Resources.  I take this as he being the driver of the review so I no longer think he has 'abdicated' it. 

I am relieved as it allays my concerns that Mahoney is reviewing his own patch.  Mahoney is a conduit, albeit an important one in the review process but my take from from interview is Pert is the one directing the show and probably having the last say.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lets hope so.

Thanks to @Sirenfor flagging this interview with Pert

Three parts are really worth noting.

1. Last years success was making the 8 on a good draw and winning two finals against teams not playing at their best.  Fair comment I thought.  He added that while the rest of the footy world were in raptures about our 2019 prospects Goodwin et al were saying we need to be a 3-4 game better team to make the 8.  Realistic I thought given we had a much tougher draw this year.

2. Why our season was poor.  In part due to preason and injuries.  But also the impact of 6-6-6.  Last year our game was based on playing an in tight, competitive game rather than an open, running style which requires athletes and we were not as well set up for that.  

We did plan for 6-6-6, which was for KK, AVB and Hunt to run up and down the the wings but we haven't had KK and AVB.  And without forwards we had to play Hunt from the goal square.  (Note:  Pert needs to know his name is Jayden not 'Josh').   Other coaches learnt to 'divide and pull us apart so not to get in an arm wrestle and have a leg race'  ie beat them on the inside outrun them on the outside comment we have heard ad nausea from other teams this year. 

He also mentioned it wasn't just the injuries that hurt us but also not having mature depth.

It is the best summary I have heard from the club this year.  In this context it is easier to accept 2019 as an annus horribilis, let it go and move on to 2020.

3.  External review process.  In various posts I noted that an external review wasn't necessary, that Pert working with an external advisor would be just as effective.  In the last few minutes of the interview Pert says they have been working with 'external analysts including the AFL' who have provided input and given feedback. 

That may not be enough for those wanting an external review but Pert with external analysts is good enough for me to be confident that there is independence in the process.

I had a sense that the changes will be significant.  For the better I'm sure.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Pert's on a thrashing to nowhere on here. People were critical of his appointment because the main criticism of him at the Pies was meddling in the FD. Now people are critical here because he's not meddling in the FD enough. 

Can you imagine the crap that would be flying around right now if Mahoney was the CEO not Pert. Thank God for Pert's footy and CEO experience. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

1. Last years success was making the 8 on a good draw and winning two finals against teams not playing at their best.  Fair comment I thought.  He added that while the rest of the footy world were in raptures about our 2019 prospects Goodwin et al were saying we need to be a 3-4 game better team to make the 8.  Realistic I thought given we had a much tougher draw this year.

2. Why our season was poor.  In part due to preason and injuries.  But also the impact of 6-6-6.  Last year our game was based on playing an in tight, competitive game rather than an open, running style which requires athletes and we were not as well set up for that.  

We did plan for 6-6-6, which was for KK, AVB and Hunt to run up and down the the wings but we haven't had KK and AVB.  And without forwards we had to play Hunt from the goal square.  (Note:  Pert needs to know his name is Jayden not 'Josh').   Other coaches learnt to 'divide and pull us apart so not to get in an arm wrestle and have a leg race'  ie beat them on the inside outrun them on the outside comment we have heard ad nausea from other teams this year. 

He also mentioned it wasn't just the injuries that hurt us but also not having mature depth.

It is the best summary I have heard from the club this year.  In this context it is easier to accept 2019 as an annus horribilis, let it go and move on to 2020.

3.  External review process.  In various posts I noted that an external review wasn't necessary, that Pert working with an external advisor would be just as effective.  In the last few minutes of the interview Pert says they have been working with 'external analysts including the AFL' who have provided input and given feedback. 

That may not be enough for those wanting an external review but Pert with external analysts is good enough for me to be confident that there is independence in the process.

Will this be reviewed- Goodwin by his own admission on 3aw stated that little match simulations were done & focused on too many little things. Its amazing with a change to 6,6,6 that simulations would be high on the agenda. We have been smashed on the outside all season & skill execution was poor with pathetic turnovers which cost us many goals!

Edited by Demonsone

30 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Pert's on a thrashing to nowhere on here. People were critical of his appointment because the main criticism of him at the Pies was meddling in the FD. Now people are critical here because he's not meddling in the FD enough. 

Can you imagine the crap that would be flying around right now if Mahoney was the CEO not Pert. Thank God for Pert's footy and CEO experience. 

My immediate  concern regarding  Pert..was wtf re-sign Goody so unecessarily quickly. Now im nervous  about anything  he does.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Pert gets paid more than the Prime Minister. No one is asking for him to meddle. We are asking for him to do his job and oversee what has gone wrong so it does not continue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

My immediate  concern regarding  Pert..was wtf re-sign Goody so unecessarily quickly. Now im nervous  about anything  he does.

There’s a head of football and a board that primarily made that decision. He had been there for 5 minutes. But hey go ahead and blame him. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

LH  your last line are you sure?

This is the MFC I would not be certain of anything we do.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, old dee said:

LH  your last line are you sure?

This is the MFC I would not be certain of anything we do.

od, if changes aren't for the better we are completely stuffed.  Things can't be much worse.

So our response and plan for 666 was

Hunt, up and down player

AVB   chronic history of injury and not getting on the park

KK   chronic history of concussion.

We were caught out in planning but more so not previously putting any focus on the importance of the wing when you play home games at the G.

He could have added our game plan was a sort of cheating style, not in the literal sense but in the same way as a forward runs forward of the ball. It was bound to have a short life and be pulled apart like a magic trick. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Will this be reviewed- Goodwin by his own admission on 3aw stated that little match simulations were done & focused on too many little things. Its amazing with a change to 6,6,6 that simulations would be high on the agenda. We have been smashed on the outside all season & skill execution was poor with pathetic turnovers which cost us many goals!

This was the comment that bothers me. 

What the hell did Goodwin do last Summer? Did he expect to just get better or was he out of ideas post the Preliminary Final debacle?

Minimal match simulation with new rules introduced !!! What an absolute wasted year...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

od, if changes aren't for the better we are completely stuffed.  Things can't be much worse.

Remember that period before Roos? They can be worse. The MFC rarely makes two good decisions in a row.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, It's Time said:

Some people have very short memories about Pert and Collingwood the fact was Pert was asked by the board of Collingwood to do that job that is why Buckley is there as coach.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, It's Time said:

There’s a head of football and a board that primarily made that decision. He had been there for 5 minutes. But hey go ahead and blame him. 

and I will. if he is half as clever as he's made out to be ...and has some real cohunas his first act in the job would have been to advise the same said board to hold their fire for a little while. After all he has far more experience in the running of footy than his board members.

He signed off on it...he wears it