Jump to content
  • Podcast: No Merger Podcast &      

Sign in to follow this  
Dee Dee

Gary Pert?

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I don’t blame Pert at all...

this is far more Football Department problems at this Point. But as CEO he now has to go flat out to get it sorted

Good call. Pert has overseen 52k membership and new balance resign. He gets a pass this year easily. His ceo clout will now be on display getting FD into shape. That will be his test next 12 months. If viney and jones are still skippers  then thats a failure at the first tough decision.

Time will tell 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

I would thought the credit there lies with the Marketing Dept TPF.

And they answer to and directed by .....?

Oh thats right. The CEO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Wouldn't that be Mahoney's responsibility as GM of football?

Yes, but Mahoney and Chaplin were teammates at Port for a few years.  So, unlikely that Chaplin is going anywhere. 

This is a good example of why Pert should have conducted the review himself with assistance of a one-on-one external consultant rather than abdicate it to Mahoney who is far too conflicted to objectively review his own patch.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Actually I do a family member was Marketing Manager at a successful AFL Club for 20 years. He was responsible for attracting what is the longest running sponsorship in the league. His job, his initiative brought the sponsor in, he was rewarded and still is acknowledged for it. Not the long forgotten CEO of the time.

 

Mate, you don’t have a damn clue. Marketing would have nothing to do with attracting & signing sponsors. This is the purview of the Commerical Dept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes, but Mahoney and Chaplin were teammates at Port for a few years.  So, unlikely that Chaplin is going anywhere. 

This is a good example of why Pert should have conducted the review himself with assistance of a one-on-one external consultant rather than abdicate it to Mahoney who is far too conflicted to objectively review his own patch.

Nail on head. It's  so incestuous within the FD ...this bloke knows that, played with that guy  ..who coaches with...etc etc. Any attempt of an internal review is flawed. More so it smacks more of glossing over the problematic ones than of identifying  them and calling to task.

All we want  is honesty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Nail on head. It's  so incestuous within the FD ...this bloke knows that, played with that guy  ..who coaches with...etc etc. Any attempt of an internal review is flawed. More so it smacks more of glossing over the problematic ones than of identifying  them and calling to task.

All we want  is honesty.

If Members hold back on next years payment, we will get honesty. It will just take a little time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The years been a disaster, an average of nine goals worse per game is dreadful! But that’s not a Pert issue!

McArtney, Mission and others will go, lets see who else goes before laying blame!

Agree with others that Chaplin hasn’t got through message to the backline, similar whoever is responsible for mids not running both ways!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

 

Mate, you don’t have a damn clue. Marketing would have nothing to do with attracting & signing sponsors. This is the purview of the Commerical Dept. 

S you agree its not Perts job, cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

S you agree its not Perts job, cheers.

It’s his job to oversee all depts, but you still clearly have no clue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

It’s his job to oversee all depts, but you still clearly have no clue.

Bosses man eh. Yes, sir. Another on ignore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2019 at 5:20 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes, but Mahoney and Chaplin were teammates at Port for a few years.  So, unlikely that Chaplin is going anywhere. 

This is a good example of why Pert should have conducted the review himself with assistance of a one-on-one external consultant rather than abdicate it to Mahoney who is far too conflicted to objectively review his own patch.

I have changed my view on Pert 'abdicating' the review to Mahoney.  On listening to the Inside Melbourne podcast...

...Pert says he is involved in the review and the conversations related to Structures, People and Resources.  I take this as he being the driver of the review so I no longer think he has 'abdicated' it. 

I am relieved as it allays my concerns that Mahoney is reviewing his own patch.  Mahoney is a conduit, albeit an important one in the review process but my take from from interview is Pert is the one directing the show and probably having the last say.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lets hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to @Sirenfor flagging this interview with Pert

Three parts are really worth noting.

1. Last years success was making the 8 on a good draw and winning two finals against teams not playing at their best.  Fair comment I thought.  He added that while the rest of the footy world were in raptures about our 2019 prospects Goodwin et al were saying we need to be a 3-4 game better team to make the 8.  Realistic I thought given we had a much tougher draw this year.

2. Why our season was poor.  In part due to preason and injuries.  But also the impact of 6-6-6.  Last year our game was based on playing an in tight, competitive game rather than an open, running style which requires athletes and we were not as well set up for that.  

We did plan for 6-6-6, which was for KK, AVB and Hunt to run up and down the the wings but we haven't had KK and AVB.  And without forwards we had to play Hunt from the goal square.  (Note:  Pert needs to know his name is Jayden not 'Josh').   Other coaches learnt to 'divide and pull us apart so not to get in an arm wrestle and have a leg race'  ie beat them on the inside outrun them on the outside comment we have heard ad nausea from other teams this year. 

He also mentioned it wasn't just the injuries that hurt us but also not having mature depth.

It is the best summary I have heard from the club this year.  In this context it is easier to accept 2019 as an annus horribilis, let it go and move on to 2020.

3.  External review process.  In various posts I noted that an external review wasn't necessary, that Pert working with an external advisor would be just as effective.  In the last few minutes of the interview Pert says they have been working with 'external analysts including the AFL' who have provided input and given feedback. 

That may not be enough for those wanting an external review but Pert with external analysts is good enough for me to be confident that there is independence in the process.

I had a sense that the changes will be significant.  For the better I'm sure.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pert's on a thrashing to nowhere on here. People were critical of his appointment because the main criticism of him at the Pies was meddling in the FD. Now people are critical here because he's not meddling in the FD enough. 

Can you imagine the crap that would be flying around right now if Mahoney was the CEO not Pert. Thank God for Pert's footy and CEO experience. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thanks to @Sirenfor flagging this interview with Pert

Three parts are really worth noting.

1. Last years success was making the 8 on a good draw and winning two finals against teams not playing at their best.  Fair comment I thought.  He added that while the rest of the footy world were in raptures about our 2019 prospects Goodwin et al were saying we need to be a 3-4 game better team to make the 8.  Realistic I thought given we had a much tougher draw this year.

2. Why our season was poor.  In part due to preason and injuries.  But also the impact of 6-6-6.  Last year our game was based on playing an in tight, competitive game rather than an open, running style which requires athletes and we were not as well set up for that.  

We did plan for 6-6-6, which was for KK, AVB and Hunt to run up and down the the wings but we haven't had KK and AVB.  And without forwards we had to play Hunt from the goal square.  (Note:  Pert needs to know his name is Jayden not 'Josh').   Other coaches learnt to 'divide and pull us apart so not to get in an arm wrestle and have a leg race'  ie beat them on the inside outrun them on the outside comment we have heard ad nausea from other teams this year. 

He also mentioned it wasn't just the injuries that hurt us but also not having mature depth.

It is the best summary I have heard from the club this year.  In this context it is easier to accept 2019 as an annus horribilis, let it go and move on to 2020.

3.  External review process.  In various posts I noted that an external review wasn't necessary, that Pert working with an external advisor would be just as effective.  In the last few minutes of the interview Pert says they have been working with 'external analysts including the AFL' who have provided input and given feedback. 

That may not be enough for those wanting an external review but Pert with external analysts is good enough for me to be confident that there is independence in the process.

I had a sense that the changes will be significant.  For the better I'm sure.

Will this be reviewed- Goodwin by his own admission on 3aw stated that little match simulations were done & focused on too many little things. Its amazing with a change to 6,6,6 that simulations would be high on the agenda. We have been smashed on the outside all season & skill execution was poor with pathetic turnovers which cost us many goals!

Edited by Demonsone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Pert's on a thrashing to nowhere on here. People were critical of his appointment because the main criticism of him at the Pies was meddling in the FD. Now people are critical here because he's not meddling in the FD enough. 

Can you imagine the crap that would be flying around right now if Mahoney was the CEO not Pert. Thank God for Pert's footy and CEO experience. 

My immediate  concern regarding  Pert..was wtf re-sign Goody so unecessarily quickly. Now im nervous  about anything  he does.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Pert's on a thrashing to nowhere on here. People were critical of his appointment because the main criticism of him at the Pies was meddling in the FD. Now people are critical here because he's not meddling in the FD enough. 

Can you imagine the crap that would be flying around right now if Mahoney was the CEO not Pert. Thank God for Pert's footy and CEO experience. 

Pert gets paid more than the Prime Minister. No one is asking for him to meddle. We are asking for him to do his job and oversee what has gone wrong so it does not continue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

My immediate  concern regarding  Pert..was wtf re-sign Goody so unecessarily quickly. Now im nervous  about anything  he does.

There’s a head of football and a board that primarily made that decision. He had been there for 5 minutes. But hey go ahead and blame him. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thanks to @Sirenfor flagging this interview with Pert

Three parts are really worth noting.

1. Last years success was making the 8 on a good draw and winning two finals against teams not playing at their best.  Fair comment I thought.  He added that while the rest of the footy world were in raptures about our 2019 prospects Goodwin et al were saying we need to be a 3-4 game better team to make the 8.  Realistic I thought given we had a much tougher draw this year.

2. Why our season was poor.  In part due to preason and injuries.  But also the impact of 6-6-6.  Last year our game was based on playing an in tight, competitive game rather than an open, running style which requires athletes and we were not as well set up for that.  

We did plan for 6-6-6, which was for KK, AVB and Hunt to run up and down the the wings but we haven't had KK and AVB.  And without forwards we had to play Hunt from the goal square.  (Note:  Pert needs to know his name is Jayden not 'Josh').   Other coaches learnt to 'divide and pull us apart so not to get in an arm wrestle and have a leg race'  ie beat them on the inside outrun them on the outside comment we have heard ad nausea from other teams this year. 

He also mentioned it wasn't just the injuries that hurt us but also not having mature depth.

It is the best summary I have heard from the club this year.  In this context it is easier to accept 2019 as an annus horribilis, let it go and move on to 2020.

3.  External review process.  In various posts I noted that an external review wasn't necessary, that Pert working with an external advisor would be just as effective.  In the last few minutes of the interview Pert says they have been working with 'external analysts including the AFL' who have provided input and given feedback. 

That may not be enough for those wanting an external review but Pert with external analysts is good enough for me to be confident that there is independence in the process.

I had a sense that the changes will be significant.  For the better I'm sure.

LH  your last line are you sure?

This is the MFC I would not be certain of anything we do.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, old dee said:

LH  your last line are you sure?

This is the MFC I would not be certain of anything we do.

od, if changes aren't for the better we are completely stuffed.  Things can't be much worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So our response and plan for 666 was

Hunt, up and down player

AVB   chronic history of injury and not getting on the park

KK   chronic history of concussion.

We were caught out in planning but more so not previously putting any focus on the importance of the wing when you play home games at the G.

He could have added our game plan was a sort of cheating style, not in the literal sense but in the same way as a forward runs forward of the ball. It was bound to have a short life and be pulled apart like a magic trick. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Will this be reviewed- Goodwin by his own admission on 3aw stated that little match simulations were done & focused on too many little things. Its amazing with a change to 6,6,6 that simulations would be high on the agenda. We have been smashed on the outside all season & skill execution was poor with pathetic turnovers which cost us many goals!

This was the comment that bothers me. 

What the hell did Goodwin do last Summer? Did he expect to just get better or was he out of ideas post the Preliminary Final debacle?

Minimal match simulation with new rules introduced !!! What an absolute wasted year...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

od, if changes aren't for the better we are completely stuffed.  Things can't be much worse.

Remember that period before Roos? They can be worse. The MFC rarely makes two good decisions in a row.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, It's Time said:

Pert's on a thrashing to nowhere on here. People were critical of his appointment because the main criticism of him at the Pies was meddling in the FD. Now people are critical here because he's not meddling in the FD enough. 

Can you imagine the crap that would be flying around right now if Mahoney was the CEO not Pert. Thank God for Pert's footy and CEO experience. 

Some people have very short memories about Pert and Collingwood the fact was Pert was asked by the board of Collingwood to do that job that is why Buckley is there as coach.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, It's Time said:

There’s a head of football and a board that primarily made that decision. He had been there for 5 minutes. But hey go ahead and blame him. 

and I will. if he is half as clever as he's made out to be ...and has some real cohunas his first act in the job would have been to advise the same said board to hold their fire for a little while. After all he has far more experience in the running of footy than his board members.

He signed off on it...he wears it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by the Oracle

    Thankfully they moved this week’s game from Sydney where the sun shines and the virus breeds ever so slowly and almost nobody returns a positive test. The change of fixture comes at precisely the right time to allow everyone in town to head to the MCG on Sunday at around 3:30pm, not to catch up with what’s going on inside the ground but rather, to do what’s fashionable for woke folk in 2020 — pulling down statues. It’s time for Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews to go but you can’t touch Norm Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LESSONS IN LOSING by George on the Outer

    Turn up for the game and look like you want to win it.  Melbourne lost this game to Geelong, a game after a couple of extended breaks, looking like they were at the end of a 22 game season. Right from the start there was a lack of intensity across the board, as the Demons played exactly the type of game that the ageing Geelong list wanted. Geelong repeatedly played possession footy, to avoid having to run those ageing legs, something that Melbourne failed to exploit.  To use the oft quot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...