Changes v Eagles - Preliminary Final

ucanchoose

8 minutes ago, forever demons said:

wondering who would be out if hogan and lever were available

Tyson and too hard to pick the other, they would be seriously unlucky.

Probably one of Hannan, Spargo or Fritsch.

8 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Have we reverted to the 1990s when the least important players were on the bench and hardly played? Today's game is so different that starting on the bench doesn't make anyone blink. One of our Captains started on the bench on Friday night. 

If there are no injuries, I suspect no change to the winning formula but if we do that we risk being undersized in the backline. Joel Smith might come in for that reason but there's no obvious person for him to replace. My fear is that we'll be forced to move T Mac to defence and rely on Weideman and occasionally Gawn to be the tall forwards.   

Agreed 'LDvC'.   Leaving the Weide one out at the start of the game and Qtrs, would be disaster.

TMc can roll down to CHB during playing CHF, but not start there at centre bounces etc.  I think jSmith gives us a fair height balance, and he can go forward IF required.

Horses for courses.

Pick a team to do the job, don't stay static for the sake of it.

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

Someone is going to miss out on a Casey GF next week and possibly an AFL GF the following week; we will take an extra over to Perth one would think.

We might take 2 over.

AFL Prelim Saturday

VFL Granny Sunday.

I'm hoping the leftover player/s, can return Saturday afternoon from Perth.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

For those suggesting Vince...there was a reason he was dropped in the first place. He's had an ordinary year and consistently turns the ball over. I hope he does not come in unless there is an injury/soreness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is my game preview - haven't done one of these for a while...

This will be a different game to the Rd 22 - with Darling being injured early and Kennedy out.

Defending together

WCE like to isolate their talls but will dump it in if they have to. It is a luxury but does, as Jordan Lewis says, make them more "predictable" than what they were in Round 22.

We will have our moments like we always do where we dominate the possession and have it in our FWD 50 for long periods, how they escape and how quickly will be crucial - having separation between their forwards will mean our talls against their talls in centre wing - how those kicks will be pressured is key; if they have time to put it advantage side we are going to have problems. 

When we can crowd the bomb in we also have to trust Gawn/Weed to kill it because Le Cras, Cripps, Ryan and Rioli will stay down and are smart enough to do some damage.

OMac to Vardy/Lycett, Frost to Kennedy, Hibberd to Darling, Jetta to Cripps, Salem to Rioli, and Lewis to Le Cras.

The McGovern-or

Hannan played off his back shoulder last time to keep him looking in 360' - as soon as he can see his direct opponent, the ball and the target of the footy - he will cut off those entries forward. Move it quickly and lower your eyes and you will be a man my son... McGovern has to be made to hesitate and that will be enough because McDonald, Melksham, Hannan, and Petracca are a dynamic group of offensive players that will get help from Spargo, Vanders, and ANB when the ball hits the ground.

McDonald on Barrass, Hannan on McGovern, Melksham on Hurn, Petracca on Schofield, ANB on Jetta, and resting mid on Duggan.

It's the midfield, stupid

This is what it comes down to really - we all know that - Gawn vs Lycett/Vardy and their group of hard running mids versus our contested bulls. However, Melbourne are +18 in CPs, +16 in UPs, +10 in tackles, +7 in Inside 50s, and +2 in clearances... That reveals who should win the midfield battle - how efficient the teams are when going forward will decide the game.

Shuey, Redden, Masten, Sheed, and Yeo vs Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes, and Jones.

What a great opportunity to play in a Grand Final for these boys...

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Here is my game preview - haven't done one of these for a while...

This will be a different game to the Rd 22 - with Darling being injured early and Kennedy out.

Defending together

WCE like to isolate their talls but will dump it in if they have to. It is a luxury but does, as Jordan Lewis says, make them more "predictable" than what they were in Round 22.

We will have our moments like we always do where we dominate the possession and have it in our FWD 50 for long periods, how they escape and how quickly will be crucial - having separation between their forwards will mean our talls against their talls in centre wing - how those kicks will be pressured is key; if they have time to put it advantage side we are going to have problems. 

When we can crowd the bomb in we also have to trust Gawn/Weed to kill it because Le Cras, Cripps, Ryan and Rioli will stay down and are smart enough to do some damage.

OMac to Vardy/Lycett, Frost to Kennedy, Hibberd to Darling, Jetta to Cripps, Salem to Rioli, and Lewis to Le Cras.

The McGovern-or

Hannan played off his back shoulder last time to keep him looking in 360' - as soon as he can see his direct opponent, the ball and the target of the footy - he will cut off those entries forward. Move it quickly and lower your eyes and you will be a man my son... McGovern has to be made to hesitate and that will be enough because McDonald, Melksham, Hannan, and Petracca are a dynamic group of offensive players that will get help from Spargo, Vanders, and ANB when the ball hits the ground.

McDonald on Barrass, Hannan on McGovern, Melksham on Hurn, Petracca on Schofield, ANB on Jetta, and resting mid on Duggan.

It's the midfield, stupid

This is what it comes down to really - we all know that - Gawn vs Lycett/Vardy and their group of hard running mids versus our contested bulls. However, Melbourne are +18 in CPs, +16 in UPs, +10 in tackles, +7 in Inside 50s, and +2 in clearances... That reveals who should win the midfield battle - how efficient the teams are when going forward will decide the game.

Shuey, Redden, Masten, Sheed, and Yeo vs Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes, and Jones.

What a great opportunity to play in a Grand Final for these boys...

Who do you think Harmes will tag?

The Eagles midfield does not scare me at all.  If we are on, we will play in the Grand Final.  Much better team than them.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 11:32 PM, chook fowler said:

Dumbest post of the year, unless tongue in cheek

Ithought Spargo was OK yesterday.

But the Demons supporters are  a broad church, Chook. Thank goodness many of them aren't in military intelligence. Come to think about it..

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

Who do you think Harmes will tag?

The Eagles midfield does not scare me at all.  If we are on, we will play in the Grand Final.  Much better team than them.

Shuey. 

And yes, we will win a lot of footy and put a great deal of pressure on McGovern, Hurn and Barrass...

Needless to say, I'm confident.

But the footy gods don't care about what the team looks like on paper; names don't win footy, effort does.

15 hours ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Everyone calling for no change please put forward who is playing on Kennedy, Vardy and Darling. It is clear to me watching the VFL today that Joel Smith plays. Offers so much versatility against the Eagles front 6 and is hard and fast. Tyson the unlucky player to miss as this will shuffle Fritsch up to the wing.

Smith is 3 cm taller than Fritsch who is currently playing that role.  Does that 3cm outweigh the impact of changes on a settled side?

I reckon Oscar will go to Vardy, Frost to Kennedy and Hibberd will go to Darling.

Frost and Hibberd will both run hard and make Kennedy and Darling accountable for our attack. Fritsch will drop into the whole to cover these two when they attack up the ground. 

Given we don't have a 200cm defender for Vardy anyway,  any one on one marking contest is a lost cause regardless. So we will continue to focus our strategy of keeping the ball in our forward line; defending on the last line is not our preferred option.

15 minutes ago, deanox said:

Smith is 3 cm taller than Fritsch who is currently playing that role.  Does that 3cm outweigh the impact of changes on a settled side?

I reckon Oscar will go to Vardy, Frost to Kennedy and Hibberd will go to Darling.

Frost and Hibberd will both run hard and make Kennedy and Darling accountable for our attack. Fritsch will drop into the whole to cover these two when they attack up the ground. 

Given we don't have a 200cm defender for Vardy anyway,  any one on one marking contest is a lost cause regardless. So we will continue to focus our strategy of keeping the ball in our forward line; defending on the last line is not our preferred option.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if we make the change, but personally I'm not sure it will help that much if countering their attack is our plan, and Goodwin had been strong about forcing the game to be played on our terms.

20 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Shuey. 

And yes, we will win a lot of footy and put a great deal of pressure on McGovern, Hurn and Barrass...

Needless to say, I'm confident.

But the footy gods don't care about what the team looks like on paper; names don't win footy, effort does.

6 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Solid player, but far from a star.  Harmes should eat him for breakfast.

They miss Gaff badly.

I'd be inclined to send him to Yeo and make Shuey accountable for Viney or Brayshaw.

• Like 3

I feel as though J. Smith in against the Eagles would suit the match ups a lot more.

Can play tall and small and their forward line is lethal. Will allow us to either play Fristch on the wing or the extra man in defence, with Smith being accountable for someone. 

For me:

Out: Tyson

In: J.Smith 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Older demon said:

No change unless in case no-one noticed Salem grabbed at his hammy late in the 3rd but played out the game. I anxiously await his medical report. remember Melk tweeked a hammy against Adelaide and played out the game then missed 3 weeks.

Good pick up.

I didn't see this at the game but on the replay saw it happen with 10 min left in the third, and Daisy subsequently mentions it on the broadcast.

We'll need to monitor this one. If Salem's out that is a position we don't have great cover for at Casey (Vince can play half-back but his run and kicking is nothing like Salem's, whilst Hunt's form just isn't good enough to warrant getting back in the side, and J Smith is too slow and tall for that spot).