Josh Kelly

dazzledavey36

Hoping not to derail the thread, but my understanding was that Roos said that Melbourne would not have taken Kelly with pick 2 if we had of retained it... weren't we looking at Billings?? 

43 minutes ago, boydie said:

Classic derail, thread titled Josh Kelly but there's discussions of at least 6 other players in the same thread.

So who would you pick between Kelly, Kelly, and Kelly? And do you think Kelly would be a decent trade for Kelly and Kelly?

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Hoping not to derail the thread, but my understanding was that Roos said that Melbourne would not have taken Kelly with pick 2 if we had of retained it... weren't we looking at Billings?? 

I only recall us being linked to Aish at pick 2 for the majority of the year, which I rather happy about at the time as a Redlegs supporter, and of which eventuality I'm now super-happy about as a Demons supporter.

2 minutes ago, Skuit said:

I only recall us being linked to Aish at pick 2 for the majority of the year, which I rather happy about at the time as a Redlegs supporter, and of which eventuality I'm now super-happy about as a Demons supporter.

Imagine if we had Aish and Toumpas in the same team. 

That would just about spell the end for me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Imagine if we had Aish and Toumpas in the same team. 

That would just about spell the end for me.

At least those two make it onto the field - I was very keen on Freeman while most were praying Scharenberg would slide to us.

A lot of talent in this draft, but also a bit of a minefield.

Edited by TeamPlayedFine39
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Nobody is the same.

However, as our list stands right now, Tyson is the least versatile of all our mids and his inside work is hardly far and away better than any of Brayshaw, Viney, Jones, Petracca and Oliver. 

He may be more valuable once Jones retires.

But Kelly would be of greater value to us going into the 2017 season. Nobody at our club possesses the running power or class of Kelly. (Hunt has the pace, not the endurance).

I would actually say that he is the most versatile of our mids.  Can play inside, outside, and can go forward and hit the scoreboard.  You would expect/hope Petracca would become our most versatile in due course, but Dom has him, and the rest of them, covered for versatility at this stage.

I mentioned recently that Tyson reminds me of Bartel in that he will likely get pushed out of the inside mids group, not because he is significantly weaker than the others, but more that he can play just as effective in other roles.

If by some fluke we were able to get Kelly, I would love to see Purple's face when the trade is signed off, given how vocal he was when the initial trade of Tyson/Pick 9 for Pick 2 took place.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Danelska said:

help me out here - what actually was Gysberts deficiencies? I quite liked him...

Personally, I thought he had a huge amount of talent and could have been an outstanding AFL footballer... if he wanted to be.

Four coaches and two clubs couldn't bring that desire out from within him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Nobody is the same.

However, as our list stands right now, Tyson is the least versatile of all our mids and his inside work is hardly far and away better than any of Brayshaw, Viney, Jones, Petracca and Oliver. 

He may be more valuable once Jones retires.

But Kelly would be of greater value to us going into the 2017 season. Nobody at our club possesses the running power or class of Kelly. (Hunt has the pace, not the endurance).

Tyson is able to extract the ball when it's locked in tight, he has more strength than the others to do this.

Viney is a bull at a gate as is Jones but they are both smaller mids and when it gets really congested they can't clear it like Tyson can.

He mightn't look it but he's the strong man in the engine room, I've seen him wrestling for possession with Mumford and break even.

I think he is our version of Joey Kennedy in that regard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

If people here could pick one of Kelly, Bontempelli or Cripps, who would you take now?

I'd go with Cripps.

Bont in my mind is unique and ahead of the other two.  Can and has broken games (as will Oliver, Trac and Gus for that matter).

By the end of this season, Jayden Hunt will be spoken about more than Josh Kelly when it comes to the 2013 draft.

Biased?

Clearly.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Personally, I thought he had a huge amount of talent and could have been an outstanding AFL footballer... if he wanted to be.

Four coaches and two clubs couldn't bring that desire out from within him.

Perhaps but that is the nature of all sports as we know. You need more than talent to make it. I think Viney is a good comparison. His major attribute is attitude and a fierce determination to succeed.

I do find it hard to judge some of our young recruits during this period when the club was floundering and the words professionalism and development were not part of the clubs lexicon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skuit said:

So who would you pick between Kelly, Kelly, and Kelly? And do you think Kelly would be a decent trade for Kelly and Kelly?

James, he's got the premiership experience which has done wonders for us in the past.

4 hours ago, Danelska said:

help me out here - what actually was Gysberts deficiencies? I quite liked him...

I only recall us being linked to Gysberts for the majority of 2010-12, which I was progressively unhappy about at the time as a Demons supporter, and of which eventuality I'm now super-happy about as not a North Melbourne supporter. 

19 hours ago, Skuit said:

This sliding doors business is getting a tad out of hand. In only slightly different circumstances, we could just as well have sent pick 23 to GWS. And then it would have been Tyson, Salem & Hunt for Kelly and the price of a Sylvia rather than Lobb (although possibly then Hartung, McStay or M. Crouch). Or some such. We traded picks 2, 20 and 72 for Tyson and picks 9 and 53. Whom each team picked up thereafter is partly a matter of luck - especially with the later speculative picks - and therefore should be judged according to different criteria. We might have well wanted Sharenberg or Aish, or even Bonts, but who knows? We have Salem. The crux of the deal was giving up a shot on Kelly and a second-rounder for Tyson and a top-ten pick. Was that a win at the time? In my opinion, yes.   

Surely it depends on how good Salem becomes. Yet to fire! If he doesnt then we have lost on the deal

• Like 1