Welcome to Demonland: Jake Lever

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Girlfriends can often hold the whip...

That's what you usually hope for..... but it needn't be a whip.

52 minutes ago, The end is nigh said:

I'll put up one of those posts: lever won't leave. He's from all reports a true class act, loved at the club, future captain, etc.

he was a freakish talent before the leg injury in juniors. Adelaide know he was a draft steal and won't give him up for less than the moon, Jupiter and a second round pick. 

Please, to all who put forth our own overrating trades of players who are borderline 22 at the dees, stop. It's equivalent to Richmond offering us Shane Edwards and a second rounder for clarry, because we don't know how good he is. 

I think the big thing he's put out there this week is that he's making the decision with his girlfriend. So as much as he might love the club, be a future captain etc. As some others have said sometimes there are other things in play.

As he's off contract then the price will be high, but not astronomical like you think. A first and maybe a later pick or player. Remember Dangerfield went for a 1st, a 2nd and Dean Gore (young player who hand't played but had a lot of good wraps). Lever while good, would command something less than Danger. 

14 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

Put themselves under cap pressure after signing Ryder & Dixon. Think they locked away Wines last year, so no room for them to move prior to new CBA coming into effect.

Hartlett was initially available last year and clubs are reportedly throwing cash at Pittard now.

I'd like us to look at youngsters Aidyn Johnson and Todd Marshall.

Johnson has great pace with some good tricks and would be cheap if he wanted to come back to Vic. Marshall was a reasonably high pick from Murray Bushrangers and is tall enough to play ruck/forward, but will have limited chances whilst Dixon and Westhoff are running around in the fwd line.

Trengove may be a decent plan B to Lever pursuit.

I really think Trengove would be a great fit for us, and means we don't have to give anything up to get him. Have heard they might actually be happier for him to go so they can get the draft pick having traded away their first round pick this draft last year. Would cost less on-going than Lever as well, so like some have suggested we could front end his contract then have room for our younger guys coming out of contract in the years after that. Might end up a bit like the Vickery deal, except Tregove isn't a spud.

So is Jake a Lever or a ...non-lever ?

• Like 3

If Jake wants to leave the deal will get done. And no we won't be trading Salem!

History shows players that are out of contract and want to leave get to their preferred destination more often that not.

Edited by Is Dom Is Good
  • Like 6

Its unlikely Lever won't be signed by seasons end. An after the game interview the other week suggested that Lever was just holding off till the CBA was signed off. Part of me is annoyed we don't have either Lever or Kelly. They are both exceptional talents, and it is probably only due to bad luck that we don't have at least one of them. Then the rational part of my brain (or what is left of it) tells me that if we did have either of those players - then there is no guarantee we would have Oliver, Petracca or Hunt. That is the beauty of the draft. Win some/lose some. I think we could still move heaven and earth to tempt one of these players though. But I only believe they would be tempted because as I player I would be tempted. We are a club on the up. Both Kelly and Lever should consider us - especially if they desire to come back to Vic.

Edited by KingDingAling

This CBA wait is a crock for mine.

All parties know whats on offer.

• Like 6

I dont think Lever is by any means over the line for us but the point is an argument could be made to him about a future at a successful Melbourne football club. When exactly can that ever have been said in the last 15 years ??? That's what I like about this current discussion.

1 minute ago, Danelska said:

Have we all gone off Steven May? His thread is nowhere to be seen now...

Reportedly signing on again with Good Coast. Did an interview saying it was done, his manager was at the club a day or two ago to do the paperwork, the club is just waiting for a good time soon to announce it.

All efforts now move to Lever I guess.

Our slow starts still concern me greatly, but that atmosphere at the 'G late on Monday was insane. 

That alone must be a great selling point for players thinking of a move. 

This summer is going to be a massive trade period with clubs so even. 

Hopefully players have the MFC high on their preferred destination. 

No longer do we take what is left

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The end is nigh said:

I'll put up one of those posts: lever won't leave. He's from all reports a true class act, loved at the club, future captain, etc.

he was a freakish talent before the leg injury in juniors. Adelaide know he was a draft steal and won't give him up for less than the moon, Jupiter and a second round pick. 

Please, to all who put forth our own overrating trades of players who are borderline 22 at the dees, stop. It's equivalent to Richmond offering us Shane Edwards and a second rounder for clarry, because we don't know how good he is. 

Nailed it.

But reality isn't popular in these types of threads so prepare for backlash!

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Our slow starts still concern me greatly, but that atmosphere at the 'G late on Monday was insane. 

Depends if they're after $$$ or success

40 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I really think Trengove would be a great fit for us, and means we don't have to give anything up to get him. Have heard they might actually be happier for him to go so they can get the draft pick having traded away their first round pick this draft last year. Would cost less on-going than Lever as well, so like some have suggested we could front end his contract then have room for our younger guys coming out of contract in the years after that. Might end up a bit like the Vickery deal, except Tregove isn't a spud.

Was going to "like" this post, except for this bit. Do you mean that they'd want a first round pick for Trengove?

Agree that he would be a great fit. He'd be a tall-forward-second-ruck, which is exactly what we need and we haven't got on our list into the future, and in the event of injuries to our key talls, could pinch-hit very well as KPF, KPD or even first ruck, like he has at Port. Otherwise we're going to struggle for this sort of "spare-parts tall", especially after Pedo ends up, though Trengove could even be an improvement on Pedo. Then again, if Gawn, Hogan & T-Mac are all fit and firing for the next 3 seasons, he could end up playing a lot of games for Casey.

As it seems to be getting increasingly likely that we'll delist our Jack Trengove, I'm tempted by the symmetry of swapping Jack Trengoves, though we'd have to give them a decent (not first round!) draft pick too. On the other hand, the Toump might have put them off taking any more returning Croweaters from us.

11 minutes ago, mrtwister said:

Any chance of the following?

Weid to Carlton

Gibbs to Crows

Lever to us

Simply, no. Carton don't really need anymore key position players, unless Casboult walks, plus they'll still want significantly more for Gibbs. 

I think if Lever comes to us and Gibbs goes to the Crows it'll be separate deals, or involve draft picks rather than players going back to Carlton. 

8 minutes ago, Akum said:

Was going to "like" this post, except for this bit. Do you mean that they'd want a first round pick for Trengove?

Agree that he would be a great fit. He'd be a tall-forward-second-ruck, which is exactly what we need and we haven't got on our list into the future, and in the event of injuries to our key talls, could pinch-hit very well as KPF, KPD or even first ruck, like he has at Port. Otherwise we're going to struggle for this sort of "spare-parts tall", especially after Pedo ends up, though Trengove could even be an improvement on Pedo. Then again, if Gawn, Hogan & T-Mac are all fit and firing for the next 3 seasons, he could end up playing a lot of games for Casey.

As it seems to be getting increasingly likely that we'll delist our Jack Trengove, I'm tempted by the symmetry of swapping Jack Trengoves, though we'd have to give them a decent (not first round!) draft pick too. On the other hand, the Toump might have put them off taking any more returning Croweaters from us.

Yes, I'd imagine they'd be happy to 'let' Trengove go in free agency if they could guarantee a 'first' in return. Similar to the Vickery deal, if we front loaded the deal it would not only help our longer term player payment structure but also inadvertently (take that anyway you want too) push the deal into the higher compensation bracket and net them a better draft pick. 

They wouldn't be getting our first, we'd keep that, it'd be a compensation pick. At worst no loss to us, at best we get shuffled one pick back in the draft. 

Edited by Red and Blue realist
Spelling/incoherence
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Similar thought crossed my mind post QB win.

It can’t hurt to pull out those sorts of wins in big games in front of big crowds while there are players interstate working out which Victorian clubs they would be happy to move to.

Especially when equivalent clubs in the market like, say, St Kilda or are Kangaroos aren’t quite performing.

Would equally hope that Melbourne's management of player welfare (eg Jesse Hogan in difficult times) is noticed by managers out there too.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Yes, I'd imagine they'd be happy to 'let' Trengove go in free agency if they could guarantee a 'first' in return. Similar to the Vickery deal, if we front loaded the deal it would not only help our longer term player payment structure but also inadvertently (take that anyway you want too) push the deal into the higher compensation bracket and net them a better draft pick. 

They wouldn't be getting our first, we'd keep that, it'd be a compensation pick. At worst no loss to us, at best we get shuffled one pick back in the draft. 

Good (and very coherent!) thinking.

36 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Trengove is only average though and is no better than Tom McDonald or Frost. While I think the need for a key defender is overstated by our injuries, Lever is quality and the one we want.

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

Reportedly signing on again with Good Coast. Did an interview saying it was done, his manager was at the club a day or two ago to do the paperwork, the club is just waiting for a good time soon to announce it.

All efforts now move to Lever I guess.

I don't think our efforts were towards May in the first place.  If we're as keen on Lever as they say we are then you would assume we would have put all our energy towards getting him back to Victoria.