FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Mahoney on SEN this morning (paraphrasing):

• Focus in recent years to go to the draft, especially midfielders.  Now have a sound midfield
  • Focus is defence - Melksham and Hibberd will be good experience. 
  • We are also looking to get a ruck/forward
  • Dunn indicated frustrated at not getting a senior game and will look at opportunities.  So will trade if he finds another club.
  • Dawes' future depends on results of trade week.
  • We won't be as active in the trade period this year.
  • Re Hibbered:  might be our pick 26 but it could involve other picks/players

The Hibberd trade looks a bit cryptic - wonder what that deal might look like. 

The interview clarifies a few things being thrown around in the media and speculation sites. 

Good to hear it from the 'horse's mouth', so to speak.

With the Hibberd deal, both parties have known for ages this was happening so no doubt they will have it all fairly hashed out, i personally think pick 26 is fair, EFC have to remember he's had 12 months totally out of the AFL system, so i think pick 26 is quite generous, i'd see that as fair Currency if he'd played this year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I think re: the Hibberd trade, it will be pick 26. Josh is always a bit cryptic, and doesn't like giving a straight answer until something has actually happened.

I think he is being cryptic because he thinks it's fair but  he knows the bombers will be the bombers and demand pick 23 or 24 just to make it difficult.

Dunn and pick 44 to Brisbane for pick 28?

As we'll be highly likely to send 26 to Essendon for Hibberd that's the only realistic way I can see us getting back into the second round.

If any teams wanted Dawes or Newton I cant see them giving up anything better that a 4th rounder at best,

Just now, Moonshadow said:

Closing Dawes.

If we cannot land a forward over the next month and that looks difficult then although it grieves me to say it Dawes is probably better for 2017 than a fourth round or higher pick.

• Like 2

I have heard that we're shopping Garlo around with essentially a free to good home tag on him and not getting a lot of interest, i think the club is hoping someone might take him off our hands for a third rounder or something. 

not a great sign when the GM of footy says on trade radio that they're worried about our experience down back when we have Dunn and Garland sitting in the VFL

2 minutes ago, Abe said:

I have heard that we're shopping Garlo around with essentially a free to good home tag on him and not getting a lot of interest, i think the club is hoping someone might take him off our hands for a third rounder or something. 

not a great sign when the GM of footy says on trade radio that they're worried about our experience down back when we have Dunn and Garland sitting in the VFL

If we can't offload Garland then the club need to look at giving him a different role as a utility with stints up forward and even on a wing or something.

Two years of the same role at Casey wont do anyone any good.  May as well try something different with him if we can't get any takers.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AngryAtCasey said:

If we can't offload Garland then the club need to look at giving him a different role as a utility with stints up forward and even on a wing or something.

Two years of the same role at Casey wont do anyone any good.  May as well try something different with him if we can't get any takers.

Tom Lynch (Crows) style lead up forward? Garlo has a bit of toe, reasonable hands on the lead and he's been around a while, but i agree, rather than just letting him rot in the back pocket at Casey, might as well try something, having said that i reckon there will be a team that grabs him on the cheap. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Abe said:

Is it possible he is part of the Hibberd player/pick trade that Mahoney talked about this morning?

Can't believe I'm about to say this:  Trading Garland would free up a list spot to upgrade Wagner or Smith.  Garland is someone whose loyalty has been over and above the call of duty.  Up there with Trengove, N. Jones, Watts and Grimes when it comes to loyalty.  Would be so sad if he was to go out 'free to a good home'.

• Like 1

I doubt we'd ship off both Dunn and Garland. I think we'd prefer to let Garland go and keep Dunn for depth, but if we can't keep him and there's an offer with a little currency ie. late pick or upgrade for Dunn then we'd keep Garlo. 

The 2 year deal that Garland have will probably rule anyone out. 

Just now, Lucifer's Hero said:

Is it possible he is part of the Hibberd player/pick trade that Mahoney talked about this morning?

Can't believe I'm about to say this:  Trading Garland would free up a list spot to upgrade Wagner or Smith.  Garland is someone whose loyalty has been over and above the call of duty.  Up there with Trengove, N. Jones, Watts and Grimes when it comes to loyalty.  Would be so sad if he was to go out 'free to a good home'.

Not sure mate, i guess it depends how well Neeldy can talk him up to Woosha, 

Personally i'd be more inclined to think we'd offer something like Neal-Bullen and 44 for Hibberd or some sort of swap of picks but i'd be guessing. 

I would still be having a really good look at Eric Mackenzie, i really think the extra experience down back in the key position stocks would be great, his best is AA level and he'd take the pressure off Tommy. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I doubt we'd ship off both Dunn and Garland. I think we'd prefer to let Garland go and keep Dunn for depth, but if we can't keep him and there's an offer with a little currency ie. late pick or upgrade for Dunn then we'd keep Garlo. 

The 2 year deal that Garland have will probably rule anyone out. 

I'd say we already have a replacement for Garland lined up given that we're reportedly into both Tom Lamb and Josh Watts, both of whom are capable of playing that 3rd tall defender role.

As for a bigger bodied tall, I don't think there's to many options out there?  Abe has mentioned Eric Mackenzie, however I'm not sure what we could offer in a trade for him?

Maybe we'd have to look for another clubs version of Dunn on the cheap like a Luke Delaney or Lachie Hansen?

12 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

I'd say we already have a replacement for Garland lined up given that we're reportedly into both Tom Lamb and Josh Watts, both of whom are capable of playing that 3rd tall defender role.

As for a bigger bodied tall, I don't think there's to many options out there?  Abe has mentioned Eric Mackenzie, however I'm not sure what we could offer in a trade for him?

Maybe we'd have to look for another clubs version of Dunn on the cheap like a Luke Delaney or Lachie Hansen?

Good point. I'd like some experience but if that experience (Garland or otherwise) isn't going to be of any use at AFL level then it's not worth a lot. Garland's certainly a club man type of guy I'd like to keep but we are already doing that with Trengove. Shame it sounds like there's no way Lumumba is riding off in to the sunset just yet.

1 hour ago, Abe said:

You are misreading what he said, means Hibberd and Melksham will add more experience, will probably free up Jones and Vince from the back as well

Pedersen can play down back and we also have one of the best developing swingmen in Jack Watts

Did Mahoney specifically say we are looking for fwd/ruck, coz if we are not going to be as active in trade period not sure where we are going to get an 'experienced' one from, unless Taylor has done his magic again

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

........Did Mahoney specifically say we are looking for fwd/ruck, ..........

Yes he did.

Tippet anyone ? The interweb whispers are starting up. The Swans are keen to keep Mitchell and parting company with Tippett, given their ruck stocks are pretty healthy, might free the cash to make young Tom a decent offer.

Thoughts ?

7 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

You are misreading what he said, means Hibberd and Melksham will add more experience, will probably free up Jones and Vince from the back as well

Pedersen can play down back and we also have one of the best developing swingmen in Jack Watts

Did Mahoney specifically say we are looking for fwd/ruck, coz if we are not going to be as active in trade period not sure where we are going to get an 'experienced' one from, unless Taylor has done his magic again

He said we were specifically looking to add experience in the backline, and hope that Hibberd and Melksham will help improve this area, this tells you that our two most experienced defenders in Dunn and Garland who have spent the majority of the year in the VFL are not in our plans going forward. 

Yes he mentioned they'd like a third tall/ backup ruckman or an outright second ruckman but feel they have some options in this area so it will depend if there is someone on offer who fits what we're after.

i don't think we'll be doing much trading beyond the deals involving Dunn and Hibberd, potentially Garland and Dawes if there are any takers. 

13 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Did Mahoney specifically say we are looking for fwd/ruck, 

Yes he did:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-04/melbourne-to-offer-cam-pedersen-a-new-deal 

"Max Gawn's had a tremendous year as our first ruck and I think everyone's looking for that second ruck, whether that's a traditional forward who can go in the ruck or the other way around," Mahoney said.

"Jack Watts played that role this year, in an ideal world we don't want him playing that role. "

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Go the Biff said:

Yes he did.

Tippet anyone ? The interweb whispers are starting up. The Swans are keen to keep Mitchell and parting company with Tippett, given their ruck stocks are pretty healthy, might free the cash to make young Tom a decent offer.

Thoughts ?

Flat no from me. Not worth the over inflated price that he'd inevitably cost.

Much rather we had a look at someone like Nankervis.

8 minutes ago, Go the Biff said:

Yes he did.

Thoughts ?

Tippet had a great first half of the season but that was as a full-time ruck, not as a forward. Very poor 2nd half coming back from injury and having to play 2nd fiddle in the ruck.

That's the problem, it's hard to find someone who can play that relief ruck role.

6 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Cool so it was a manager alert, just think we will have to be creative to land an experienced one

I agree.  Good forward/ruck type player don't grow on trees.  I think Mahoney was making a point that we are in the market for one, but will only do something about it if the right deal comes up.  I don't think the club likes using Watts in the ruck on a regular basis, and it's hard to fit Pedersen in a forward line with Hogan, Watts and (hopefully) Weideman.  I'll be interested to see how they go about it over the next month or so.