CASEY SCORPIONS v NORTHERN BLUES

16 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

I think that Briggs kid played for Cora Lynn at some point. Tried out at Sandy Dragons TAC. I read an article on it the other week.

Watched some footy at Cora Lynn - they make a very handy egg and bacon sandwich

• Like 1

20 hours ago, binman said:

I watched the last quarter of the pies vfl game and after a nice mark by the weed said to the fella next to me that he'll be pretty special once he bulks up. The fella said he could borrow some of his heft. It turned out to be his dad. Nice fella.

I asked if he thought Weed jnr would get a game before the end of the year and he said perhaps one near the end just to give him the experience. 

The weed snr said he and his son were wrapt at how he was being developed and the club in general. Very positive.He also said Trac will be something out of the box.

Yes, his Dad, Mark, is an acquaintance of mine. He told me Sam is absolutely loving it at Melbourne, and that he can't wait to play alongside Hogan in the coming years.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, nutbean said:

Watched some footy at Cora Lynn - they make a very handy egg and bacon sandwich

I one a senior premiership against drouin at cora Lynn many moons ago was only 17 as we'll

• Like 2

Question for those at the game: how did Jake Spencer go?  Anywhere close to be at least able to fill in for The Great Gawnius Maximus should the need arise?

He was ok, not any great shakes. As it was his first game back from a long lay-off, I would forget his performance. He will run into some form over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

The statistics -

Chris Dawes 2 goals 10 disposals 6 kicks 4 handballs 2 marks 1 tackles 49 dream team points
Lynden Dunn 1 behind disposals 23 kicks 3 handballs 5 marks 4 tackles 105 dream team points
Sam Frost 12 disposals 7 kicks 5 handballs 1 marks 2 tackles 37 dream team points
Jack Grimes 2 goals 1 behind 26 disposals 13 kicks 13 handballs 2 marks 10 tackles 127 dream team points
Max King 1 goals 14 disposals 9  kicks 5 handballs 3 marks 1 tackles 5 hit outs 58 dream team points
Oscar McDonald 13 disposals 4 kicks 9 handballs 1 marks 35 dream team points
Alex Neal-Bullen 31 disposals 15 kicks 16 handballs 13 tackles 129 dream team points
Ben Newton 2 goals disposals 19 kicks 18 handballs 4 marks 9 tackles 1 hit out 156 dream team points
Joel Smith 9 disposals 4 kicks 5 handballs 2 tackles 30  dream team points
Jake Spencer 1 goal 1 behind 11 disposals 3 kicks 8 handballs 1 mark 8 tackles 51 hit outs dream team points
Dean Terlich 1 goal disposals 12 kicks 7 handballs marks tackles 83 dream team points
Jack Trengove goal 1 behind disposals 12 kicks 18 handballs 10 tackles 1 hit out 118 dream team points
Sam Weideman 4 goals 8 disposals 7 kicks 1 handball 4 marks 2 tackles 59 dream team points
Mitch White 22 disposals 11 kicks 11 handballs 3 marks 2 tackles 72 dream team points

And some vision -

25 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The statistics -

Chris Dawes 2 goals 10 disposals 6 kicks 4 handballs 2 marks 1 tackles 49 dream team points
Lynden Dunn 1 behind disposals 23 kicks 3 handballs 5 marks 4 tackles 105 dream team points
Sam Frost 12 disposals 7 kicks 5 handballs 1 marks 2 tackles 37 dream team points
Jack Grimes 2 goals 1 behind 26 disposals 13 kicks 13 handballs 2 marks 10 tackles 127 dream team points
Max King 1 goals 14 disposals 9  kicks 5 handballs 3 marks 1 tackles 5 hit outs 58 dream team points
Oscar McDonald 13 disposals 4 kicks 9 handballs 1 marks 35 dream team points
Alex Neal-Bullen 31 disposals 15 kicks 16 handballs 13 tackles 129 dream team points
Ben Newton 2 goals disposals 19 kicks 18 handballs 4 marks 9 tackles 1 hit out 156 dream team points
Joel Smith 9 disposals 4 kicks 5 handballs 2 tackles 30  dream team points
Jake Spencer 1 goal 1 behind 11 disposals 3 kicks 8 handballs 1 mark 8 tackles 51 hit outs dream team points
Dean Terlich 1 goal disposals 12 kicks 7 handballs marks tackles 83 dream team points
Jack Trengove goal 1 behind disposals 12 kicks 18 handballs 10 tackles 1 hit out 118 dream team points
Sam Weideman 4 goals 8 disposals 7 kicks 1 handball 4 marks 2 tackles 59 dream team points
Mitch White 22 disposals 11 kicks 11 handballs 3 marks 2 tackles 72 dream team points

It seems the statt you have missed WJ is that Dawes made it through a game uninjured. 

A minor miracle I would have thought. 

1 minute ago, old dee said:

It seems the statt you have missed WJ is that Dawes made it through a game uninjured. 

A minor miracle I would have thought. 

We won't know for sure until the weekend when the club's mystery player of the week becomes apparent OD.

• Like 1

It was a  hard game to watch and times as the game lacked any kind of flow, repeat stoppages with little breaks were the theme of the day.  Both teams pushed the half forwards up the ground trying to isolate a small forward 1 on 1 in the wet conditions.  For Casey it was Briggs while for the Blues it was Clem Smith who struggled with limited opportunities,  those who frequent Casey Fields are  aware it's a poor viewing ground and in a stop start game it's hard to see a lot of the in and under especially when the play was on the far side. 

No one's done a full player review so here's mine.

Jack Trengrove  - Was tough and clean in the clinches, more pleasing that when the play opened up showed his class and was able to hit targets when most were booting down the line.  He is very close to an AFL game and seemed to get better as the game wore on, moved freely and he seems to be really enjoying his footy out there.

Ben Newton - Was easily BOG, normally plays on a wing but played all day in the guts and was clean, tough and first to the ball all day.  His first goal was outstanding, won the contested the ball near the forward pocket put on a burst to beat an opponent and snapped from a tight angle which ended up being the highlight of the day.  His 4th game back from injury and is building some very strong form, really positive performance.

Alex Neal Bullen - Was tough, in every scrap and niggling opponents all day which won him a couple of free kicks.  Doesn't surprise me that he won our tackle count, he was a contested warrior in the clearances.  Didn't get really an opportunity to show any outside run or skill which was more circumstance of the game but was very influential in the win.

Jack Grimes - Sneakily building some steady form as a midfielder in the VFL, I don't think he has been the best player in any VFL game this year but always in the top 4 or 5 players.  Played in the middle and was clean with his disposal and made a few crunching tackles, can't remember any bad turnovers by foot.

Mitch White - Was solid and the conditions suited his style of game, he has great strength over the ball and always keeps his feet which gives him the advantage in the wet conditions.   Wasn't really tested as a defender due to the dominance of Casey and won a lot of his disposals in the forward half which resulted in repeat i50's for Casey.

Max King - Took a great contested mark in the first minute which he converted for a goal, was one of his better games but continues to struggle to have a impact as a forward consistently over 4 qtrs.   

Chris Dawes - Moved as freely as I can remember, conditions didn't suit but competed well and was rewarded with a couple of goals.  It was a good return for him.   He is also the easily the biggest guy at the club, I forgot how much of a barrel chest he's got.

Dean Terlich - Was solid defensively but...Copy Paste from every other VFL game review.

Lynden Dunn -  Got a lot of the ball and ran well to support but was just OK defensively,  I get the feeling that Dunny isn't that comfortable with our new zone defense and is better off in the old system.  Was doing his usual of trying to start a fight and annoying the Blues forwards in the second half which is normal for him as chief instigator.

Oscar Mcdonald - Another really solid defensive game from him, seems to have good positioning and was clean with disposal.  Like most of the defenders wasn't put under much pressure due to the midfield dominance.

Sam Weiderman - Loves the contest, really aggressive in the air and initiates body contact when he can.  As good a performance as can be expected from a key forward in the conditions, building on his fitness and don't see him as ready just yet for AFL level.  One thing he has to watch is he gave 3 free kicks away for sliding in the first half, 2 for below the knee contact and 1 where he unfortunately slid in and got  Kieran Mcguiness high which ended his day and sent him to hospital,  he could be in bit of trouble for the last one and may miss a week.

Jake Spencer - Was solid all day and chucked his weight around, still working his way into form and fitness.

Joel Smith - Was on managed game time, really impressive when on the field.  Tough, athletic and super clean hands,  looks like he could be a player.

• Like 21

10 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

We won't know for sure until the weekend when the club's mystery player of the week becomes apparent OD.

Yes good point.

1 hour ago, 3Dee said:

thanks WJ

Wow Trenners stats, how did he not get named in the best?

Option 1 - stats don't reflect everything

Option 2 - FD hiding something we and our opponents don't know

Option 3 - ?

7 hours ago, Melon22 said:

Sam Weiderman - Loves the contest, really aggressive in the air and initiates body contact when he can.  As good a performance as can be expected from a key forward in the conditions, building on his fitness and don't see him as ready just yet for AFL level.  One thing he has to watch is he gave 3 free kicks away for sliding in the first half, 2 for below the knee contact and 1 where he unfortunately slid in and got  Kieran Mcguiness high which ended his day and sent him to hospital,  he could be in bit of trouble for the last one and may miss a week.

I saw the vision in a tweet that has now been deleted but it looked to me that Weideman used perfect technique keeping his feet and approaching side on to avoid injury and unfortunately the Blues player was the one who dived in recklessly. It looked incredibly nasty so I hope he's ok.

Apparently Weeds has the all clear.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Melon22 said:

It was a  hard game to watch and times as the game lacked any kind of flow, repeat stoppages with little breaks were the theme of the day.  Both teams pushed the half forwards up the ground trying to isolate a small forward 1 on 1 in the wet conditions.  For Casey it was Briggs while for the Blues it was Clem Smith who struggled with limited opportunities,  those who frequent Casey Fields are  aware it's a poor viewing ground and in a stop start game it's hard to see a lot of the in and under especially when the play was on the far side. 

No one's done a full player review so here's mine.

Jack Trengrove  - Was tough and clean in the clinches, more pleasing that when the play opened up showed his class and was able to hit targets when most were booting down the line.  He is very close to an AFL game and seemed to get better as the game wore on, moved freely and he seems to be really enjoying his footy out there.

Ben Newton - Was easily BOG, normally plays on a wing but played all day in the guts and was clean, tough and first to the ball all day.  His first goal was outstanding, won the contested the ball near the forward pocket put on a burst to beat an opponent and snapped from a tight angle which ended up being the highlight of the day.  His 4th game back from injury and is building some very strong form, really positive performance.

Alex Neal Bullen - Was tough, in every scrap and niggling opponents all day which won him a couple of free kicks.  Doesn't surprise me that he won our tackle count, he was a contested warrior in the clearances.  Didn't get really an opportunity to show any outside run or skill which was more circumstance of the game but was very influential in the win.

Jack Grimes - Sneakily building some steady form as a midfielder in the VFL, I don't think he has been the best player in any VFL game this year but always in the top 4 or 5 players.  Played in the middle and was clean with his disposal and made a few crunching tackles, can't remember any bad turnovers by foot.

Mitch White - Was solid and the conditions suited his style of game, he has great strength over the ball and always keeps his feet which gives him the advantage in the wet conditions.   Wasn't really tested as a defender due to the dominance of Casey and won a lot of his disposals in the forward half which resulted in repeat i50's for Casey.

Max King - Took a great contested mark in the first minute which he converted for a goal, was one of his better games but continues to struggle to have a impact as a forward consistently over 4 qtrs.   

Chris Dawes - Moved as freely as I can remember, conditions didn't suit but competed well and was rewarded with a couple of goals.  It was a good return for him.   He is also the easily the biggest guy at the club, I forgot how much of a barrel chest he's got.

Dean Terlich - Was solid defensively but...Copy Paste from every other VFL game review.

Lynden Dunn -  Got a lot of the ball and ran well to support but was just OK defensively,  I get the feeling that Dunny isn't that comfortable with our new zone defense and is better off in the old system.  Was doing his usual of trying to start a fight and annoying the Blues forwards in the second half which is normal for him as chief instigator.

Oscar Mcdonald - Another really solid defensive game from him, seems to have good positioning and was clean with disposal.  Like most of the defenders wasn't put under much pressure due to the midfield dominance.

Jake Spencer - Was solid all day and chucked his weight around, still working his way into form and fitness.

Joel Smith - Was on managed game time, really impressive when on the field.  Tough, athletic and super clean hands,  looks like he could be a player.

You  must not rate Frost as a player. He has no confidence and played that way. He punched when he should have marked and kicked it of the ground when he was clear. These are bad signs and yes I thought he was terrible.