MATCH PREVIEW & TEAM SELECTION - ROUND 1, 2016

Demonland

1 hour ago, ProDee said:

I can't wait until Petracca, Brayshaw and Trengove get in to this team.  Three top 3 draft picks waiting in the wings.    

Like every other Demon fan.

We have 3 ex Giants in the team Saturday. A bit of extra motivation  for them hopefully.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulRB said:

tbh Im just guessing re OMac, not familiar enough with him to know...

i should qualify that. i mean not quick when he had possession of the ball. if he has pace he doesn't use it and looks hesitant. it struck me, watching him, that this was an obvious thing that needed work on.

I'm really excited by our forward line, it has a little bit of everything. I really hope Watts can continue to build on what he showed during the NAB challenge. 

I'm on call all weekend but the phone might accidentally be put on silent for 3 hours tomorrow.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

see the toump got picked for the crows.......just saying, don't read anything into it

What position Daisey, was just looking at all teams on AFL match centre (re my gambling) and didn't see it. May have missed it.

2 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

What position Daisey, was just looking at all teams on AFL match centre (re my gambling) and didn't see it. May have missed it.

19 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

see the toump got picked for the crows.......just saying, don't read anything into it

Might be looking at the wrong team...

Edited by Good Times Grimes
  • Like 2

GWS From rd 23 - IN: Griffin, Scully, Lobb, Sheil, Davis, Buntine, Kennedy, Mumford, Johnson, 

OUT: Bugg, McCarthy, Cameron, Williams, Downie, Barrett, Townesend, Plowman, Treloar 

Melb from rd 23 : IN: Frost, Bugg, Kennedy, M.Jones, Jetta, Vandenberg, Kent, Tyson, Watts, Pederson

OUT: Kennedy-Harris, White, Grimes, Stretch, Brayshaw, Newton, Michie, Dunn, Cross, Neal-Bullen

We probably only have 1 best 22 player not playing, Brayshaw (unsure about Dunn). We have plenty of quality coming back such as Dom, Kent, Jetta and Vanders. New recruits Bugg and Kennedy

The Giants obviously have some big ins with Sheil, Griffin an Mummy. But many forget that 3 stars of their team in Trelaor, Cameron and McCarthy are missing from last years encounter

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Slightly off topic.....

When we played the pies QB under Bailey, who dropped the mark for us in the dying seconds with the game resulting in a draw?

Was that Ricky Petterd?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Slightly off topic.....

When we played the pies QB under Bailey, who dropped the mark for us in the dying seconds with the game resulting in a draw?

Think you're getting the games confused. Petered dropped a mark in the square in round 2 of that year which would have won us the game. We ended up losing by a point.

Warning: Disturbing content

Edited by Good Times Grimes
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Think you're getting the games confused. Petered dropped a mark in the square in round 2 of that year which would have won us the game. We ended up losing by a point.

Warning: Disturbing content

Just watch it again....

- Chips push in the back 

- Maxwells "catchers glove"

Brad Green was such a good player.

Im going back to bed.

After studying both team line ups I think it will be a close run thing.

The most obvious observation I can make is that both back lines look vulnerable.

Like nearly everyone, I'm surprised that Oscar is there at the expense of Dunn, but I can only interpret Dunn's absence as him still being under........ (you fill in the blank).

But even if Dunn was there, despite the GWS forward line missing a number of their guns, they still present headaches for us - it's really to do their size.

I expect GWS's two key forwards to be Lobb and Stewart. (Forget Tomlinson, he plays high half forward and I would not be surprised if Matt Jones gets that job. Both will run all day, each collect about 15 touches and neither will hurt anyone - nil all draw!)

Tom, Oscar and Pederson will all at various stages have to play on Lobb and Stewart and this is where the game could be won or lost.

At 206cm Lobb is a handful and it wouldn't really matter if Dunn or Oscar was there neither can contain a guy that tall if he has a good day. If he grabs a few marks or more likely brings the ball down to the advantage of their crumbers. Our back line could unravel quickly.

This is where Stevie J becomes an important element in the context of this game. You may think that he is finished, but first up for his new club he may well just have one good one left in him.

Even if he does not get a touch, his likely opponent is Garland and it really unsettles our defensive structure.

Col is not that close checking at the best of times, but the mere presence of Stevie J will require Garland to watch him closely for the entire game and limit his natural inclination to play zone defence and come in as third man up when the ball comes in high.   

The good news is though we have options. Frost back, Watts dropping back to intercept, Vince moving to half back to steady the ship. All these are options, but they rob Peter to pay Paul and if we have to do some or all of these moves for long periods you know we are in trouble.

But having said all that, our forward line should make Leon Cameron very nervous. This is how I think they will match up:

Corr on Hogan I like. Shaw on Kent I like. Adam Kennedy on Gartlett I like. Marchbank on Watts I like. Buntine on Harmes I like. Davis on Frost ~so so!

So maybe, as always it gets down to who wins the contested ball!

On that score it looks very evenly matched.

Let's hope the difference on the day is Jordie, sorry a first gamer called Clary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

GWS From rd 23 - IN: Griffin, Scully, Lobb, Sheil, Davis, Buntine, Kennedy, Mumford, Johnson, 

OUT: Bugg, McCarthy, Cameron, Williams, Downie, Barrett, Townesend, Plowman, Treloar 

Melb from rd 23 : IN: Frost, Bugg, Kennedy, M.Jones, Jetta, Vandenberg, Kent, Tyson, Watts, Pederson

OUT: Kennedy-Harris, White, Grimes, Stretch, Brayshaw, Newton, Michie, Dunn, Cross, Neal-Bullen

We probably only have 1 best 22 player not playing, Brayshaw (unsure about Dunn). We have plenty of quality coming back such as Dom, Kent, Jetta and Vanders. New recruits Bugg and Kennedy

The Giants obviously have some big ins with Sheil, Griffin an Mummy. But many forget that 3 stars of their team in Trelaor, Cameron and McCarthy are missing from last years encounter

IMO our INS are a far better group than our OUTS, while theirs has only improved a little bit. Since we won the game, and now we are the MCG, I am pretty hopeful.

PS You missed Oliver and another out. 11 changes is pretty huge.

16 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

I like this side, but I also like the list of blokes who aren't in it:
Dunn, Lumumba, Brayshaw, Petracca, Trengove, Melksham, Dawes, Weideman, Stretch, ANB, JKH, Grimes
Finally a bit of depth

I want to see Pedersen, Frost, Oscar and Matt Jones perform. If those 4 show they are up to AFL then I'll be feeling more confident about our depth. Ben Ken and Harmes can be on that list as well. 

Dunn, Lumumba, Brayshaw, Stretch and Petracca will walk in to our team easily if those ahead of them can't perform. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

FB: Jetta  Garland  Oscar Mc
HB: Vince Tom Mc  Salem

C: M Jones Jones  Bugg

HF: Vanders  Watts  Kent
FF: Pedersen  Hogan  Garlett

Foll: Gawn  Viney  Tyson

Int: Oliver Harmes Kennedy Frost

I think that's a truer representation of how the team will line up.

Vince and Jones will swap back and on the ball. Bugg will rotate to half back, Harmes will come to wing or forward. Kent will have a few minutes on the wing. Frost might ruck and/or will come on forward for Pedersen to ruck or to spell Hogan. Kennedy will come on forward. Vanders will go up to the middle or a wing. Oliver will play forward and in the middle.

There's a lot of speed and run, pretty much everyone besides Pedersen who will play forward of centre has speed and we have increased endurance in the backline group, which means run to cover off defensively and run the other way to get some quick rebound.

I'd love a class user on the outside and a bit more experience in each zone of the ground but we can't be negative about this team. 

Carlton are showing tonight what you can do playing as a side and I like that this is pretty much the side that took on the Saints - Grimes replaced Matt Jones at 1/4 time and Wagner is out for Vanders. We ran that game out strongly playing the style of footy we wanted to play. Time to back it up.

On 23/03/2016 at 7:20 AM, Demonland said:

GWS GIANTS

B: Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Matt Buntine
HB: Nathan Wilson, Phil Davis, Adam Kennedy
C: Lachie Whitfield, Callan Ward, James Stewart
HF: Rhys Palmer, Rory Lobb, Tom Scully
F: Toby Greene, Adam Tomlinson, Devon Smith
FOLL: Shane Mumford, Ryan Griffen, Dylan Shiel               I/C: Steve Johnson, Josh Kelly, Caleb Marchbank, Jack Steele
EMG: Stephen Coniglio, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Zac Williams

NEW: Steve Johnson (Geelong)

even though I've had Vince pegged for half back this season,  or stints thereof.  Especially prior to Trenners making some sort of comeback at least.

*I think Vince should be in the running,,,  'if only for this round',  to go head to head 'run with' on Ryan Griffen .    Along with possibly Oliver could also play on Griffen,  or on a Shiel?

*I think I like Viney head to head with Callan Ward....   Bugg could also.

*Harmes or Bugg for SJohnson.

*Jones I think could take Shiel first up.  maybe rotating with Oliver

* Watts to get another crack, at HShaw, in a more even environment this time around from the forward pocket - goalsquare.

* Hogan I would start from CHF this game going head to head with Davis, to not only kick goals but to cut Davis out of the offence action.

Edited by dee-luded

1 minute ago, dee-luded said:

even though I've had Vince pegged for half back this season,  or stints thereof.  Especially prior to Trenners making some sort of comeback at least.

*I think Vince should be in the running,,,  'if only for this round',  to go head to head 'run with' on Ryan Griffen .    Along with possibly Oliver could also play on Griffen,  or on a Shiel?

*I think I like Viney head to head with Callan Ward....   Bugg could also.

*Harmes or Bugg for SJohnson.

*Jones I think could take Shiel first up.  maybe rotating with Oliver

* Watts to get another crack, at HShaw, in a more even environment this time around from the forward pocket - goalsquare.

* Hogan I would start from CHF this game going head to head with Davis, to not only kick goals but to cut Davis out of the offence action.

Shiel is who I'd lock down on with Viney. Particularly at the stoppages but also to watch his runs through the middle. Both left footers with similar build, good burst speed etc. 

Ward and Griffen might play well, I think we have to live with it and hope Jones and Tyson can hurt them the other way. Josh Kelly and Jack Steele are fantastic young players to rotate in to the midfield. Hopefully Vanders is at his tackling and marauding best when he goes in to the middle and Oliver has a stern first test.

Gawn v Mumford really is a sensational match up. Hopefully Max can out point him in the ruck, run off him around the ground and protect our mids from him when he follows up the footy at ground level. Pedersen will be a key in that regard. Needs to get his big body between Mumford and our little guys.

• Like 1