Breakfast With Bails Not Quite Sold Out

Slartibartfast

The book appears to be sold out from what I can see. 

Does anyone know if it still available and if so where?  If not does anyone know if there will be a further printing. 

Sorry to start a new thread but previous ones have been closed. 

Edited by Whispering_Jack
Title edited as it looks like the book is still for sale

14 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

The book appears to be sold out from what I can see. 

Does anyone know if it still available and if so where?  If not does anyone know if there will be a further printing. 

Sorry to start a new thread but previous ones have been closed. 

Really? No way. Who bought it out, the AFL?

I really want to get a copy.

This was going to be a review of "Breakfast with Bails" but it will have to wait for the full on version. This is just part one.

Contrary to the original title of the thread, the book has not been sold out. I know this because I was able to purchase it in hard copy (to be delivered in about a week) along with what turned out to be a preview of the first few chapters through Kindle so I barely got past the "warm up" when the readable part on line came to an end.

If I'm allowed to provide some background, I'll start with the author Pat Steinfort who was drafted by Richmond at 18 and left the game five years later with an unenviable record: "the player who spent the longest time with a single team without ever playing a game. Injuries were not kind." He was one of a rare breed who left the game with scientific qualifications, experience in international sports and thousands of hours of leadership training. He gravitated towards coaching becoming an assistant at Adelaide at the end of 2011 just after Bailey's arrival.

They roomed together when he came to the Crows and struck up a friendship. From early in the book we're left with no doubt that Steinfort was an admirer of his fellow coach's abilities. 

Of course, the reader is also informed early on of Bailey's illness and his lung cancer diagnosis. Inspired by the book "Tuesdays With Morrie” which chronicles the story of an old man dying of motor neurone disease* based on a series of bedside interviews, Steinfort hesitantly broaches the subject of a similar book with Bailey who agrees. His wry sense of humour is his hallmark but he also comes across as straightforward, honest and often cutting.

When Bailey agreed, he insisted the interviews had to be brief because the treatment was taking a lot out of him. "I’m already losing my hair," said Bailey who had been bald for years.

That's about where I finished but there's sure to be a lot about Melbourne in the chapters to come. Bailey told the author that one headline stuck in his mind from the stormy days that preceded his sacking - “Dead Man Coaching”.

And this gem:

“I had to deal with a lot of wankers back at Melbourne,” he said loudly enough to startle at least one eavesdropper. “Know-it-alls who questioned something that they initially supported, just ‘cos other people started asking questions. plan hadn’t changed. Only thing that had changed was people’s opinions.” 

My reflection on what I've read to date is that this is going to be a great read. 

* ironically, Neale Daniher is fighting a battle with the same affliction.
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've returned home from overseas and there waiting for me with my mail was my copy of the book.

Problem is that I've just started reading Emma Quayle's "The Draftees" which is a sequel to an earlier book about five draft prospects from six or seven years ago. That book has some interesting insights into what players in their draft year have to go through. None of the 5 players were drafted by Melbourne but there is the odd mention here and there of players we drafted. 

I'll continue reading that and get on to Breakfast with Bails afterwards.

I recommend to you that you get on to the website and place an order. Proceeds go to his wife and family.

• Like 2

I went into Dymocks CBD after reading online there were a few Dymocks outlets stocking this. They confirmed it was on order but didn't have any copies, or couldn't advise when they'd be in stock. So I bought one from Amazon instead....

• 1 month later...

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since I received my copy of "Breakfast with Bails" in the mail early last month. I finally opened up the book this morning to find the place where I had left off reading the early chapters that were available to download onto Kindle and which I read while in flight above the United States.

I have now read a further 3½ pages that resonate strongly on a number of levels, particularly after witnessing an outstanding film based on the true story of how a team of reporters from Boston Globe investigated and ultimately exposed a massive cover up at the highest level of abuse within the Catholic Church which had enormous ramifications worldwide, including in Australia (and judging by the weekend’s headlines, it remains a very much live issue). The events covered were disturbing in themselves and for that alone I recommend that you see Spotlight but there was also a sub text that leads me to the story of the 3½ pages of the book about Dean Bailey.

I'm referring to the work of the characters in the film - "investigative journalism": a search for the discovery of the truth about a single topic of interest. A search that involves the delving into of documents, interviewing witnesses and researching issues. Checking the facts or if you like, "accountability reporting". We saw it to effect in the work of Fairfax journalists Richard Baker and Nick McKenzie with Stephen Dank and the Essendon saga, just as we saw the opposite with the other type of journalist which brings me to the football editor of the Herald Sun Mark Robinson, a Bomber fan whose body of work on that subject was downright embarrassing.

It was also Robinson who threw Dean Bailey under a bus with his "Dead man coaching" story at a point not too far into the 2011 season. That's what the 3½ pages I read this morning were all about. "Robbo" with his "coaching pressure barometer" on his Foxtel programme had already designated Bailey as a high risk to lose his job but this was at a time when his team had a record of two wins and a draw in five games. The two met face to face and Robinson offered a dispassionate response that read a bit like the Nuremberg defence - "Yeah, I went too far; the heading was no good. But you gotta' understand I don't write the headings."  In this case however, the words were also in the text of his  article so Bailey could have called him for his bullshit but rather, simply unemotionally accepted it with a, "Yeah, no worries." That was Bails.

The offending article came after a poor game from Melbourne against the Eagles in Perth.  Bailey's team capitulated weakly to some heavy defensive pressure all over the ground, a performance that admittedly, set off doubts in many peoples' minds (including my own) about the style of coaching he had adopted for the still developing side, but Robinson was way out of line coming up with a virtual epitaph to Bailey's coaching career at such an early stage in the season. The team reacted in its next game with a 16 goal win over Adelaide at the MCG.

Coaches of losing teams are an easy target and Robinson used his position in bully-like fashion. It was weak, cowardly and ugly but Robbo has form. Look at how he dealt with the Garry Lyon/Billy Brownless situation last week - more easy targets for one with an agenda who might not be too interested in checking his facts before firing bullets. And Robbo claims to be a mate of Garry's who even dropped in to play cricket with the family. Ironically, Lyon has taken flack in some quarters for his role in the appointment of both Bailey and his successor Mark Neeld who were both thrown under the buses by the media vultures.

Robbo’s barbs must have had their effect on Bailey even if he didn't show it and even if he didn't read the on-line message boards and social media or listen to talk back radio and taxi drivers. I say this because from my brief experiences of speaking with him at a couple of Melbourne functions (he was always very approachable), I concluded he probably never felt completely secure in his role as the head coach of the club.

There was a sponsor’s  function at a Volvo showroom on the eve of the 2008 National Draft when I mentioned to him that one of the club's problems in recent years was its inability to turn high draft picks like Colin Sylvia and Brock McLean into champion footballers. He seemed to take this comment as a direct criticism of his coaching and I had to reassure him that this was not what I meant. At the time, Bailey had been coach for one season while Col and Brock had been at the club for five years without fulfilling anything close to their promise (or perhaps our expectations). Ironically, the club drafted Jack Watts with its number one pick on the following day.

The "dead man coaching" tag followed Bailey for the rest of the season to the end of July that year. I expect the rest of the book will cover these events in some detail but I don't think it can be understated how difficult life was made for the coach of a team going through a topsy turvy season with an attendant build-up of tension through the club. The constant internal and external criticisms would have taken their toll as it does with all clubs where the coach is under pressure.

As for Robbo, he would do well to look to characters like  another Robinson - Walter "Robby" Robinson of the Boston Globe who led  the Spotlight team's investigation to a Pulitzer Prize, rather than play for sensationalist headline grabbing attention for his agendas. On that note, I'll leave you with the comment of one who is said to have opined that when Robbo was chosen to replace Mike Sheahan at the Herald Sun it was like "replacing Frank Sinatra with a karaoke singer."

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

It was also Robinson who threw Dean Bailey under a bus with his "Dead man coaching" story at a point not too far into the 2011 season. That's what the 3½ pages I read this morning were all about. "Robbo" with his "coaching pressure barometer" on his Foxtel programme had already designated Bailey as a high risk to lose his job but this was at a time when his team had a record of two wins and a draw in five games. The two met face to face and Robinson offered a dispassionate response that read a bit like the Nuremberg defence - "Yeah, I went too far; the heading was no good. But you gotta' understand I don't write the headings."  In this case however, the words were also in the text of his  article so Bailey could have called him for his [censored] but rather, simply unemotionally accepted it with a, "Yeah, no worries." That was Bails.

A number of Melbourne supporters are continually obsessed with laying blame on the media.

Mark Robinson is a prat but he is a sideshow & was just doing his job.

To me the real story of DB's last year at the Club was:

1. How he was being undermined by certain people within the Club

2. The fact that a delegation of senior players complained to the Board about this interference.

3.  The failure of the Board to deal with the matter properly.

To my mind these events directly led to the capitulation at Geelong & DB's sacking. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

A number of Melbourne supporters are continually obsessed with laying blame on the media.

Mark Robinson is a prat but he is a sideshow & was just doing his job.

To me the real story of DB's last year at the Club was:

1. How he was being undermined by certain people within the Club

2. The fact that a delegation of senior players complained to the Board about this interference.

3.  The failure of the Board to deal with the matter properly.

To my mind these events directly led to the capitulation at Geelong & DB's sacking. 

No one is disputing the events of 186

but it shouldn't be Slobbo's job to hire & fire Coaches. 

Infact Slobbo shouldn't have a job at all. 

He did the same to Terry Wallace

it was disgusting...

• Like 2

You may well be right CF. 

My post today covered one small chapter which related to Robinson's "dead man walking" article. 

It will be interesting to see how the telling in the book unfolds, what was behind the alleged "undermining", what led to the "capitulation" and how the board could better have dealt with situation. I think most people would agree that the result was disastrous for the club and I'm hoping the book provides an insight into what happened.

• Like 3

A Journalist should NEVER create a story

Robbo tries to do it all the time

look how he has covered Essendrug and wanting Jab to keep his Brownlow....

a true journalist covers the story...both sides (if possible)

Very few journalists stick to those rules now. Which is why our Newspaper Standards have plummetted so far down. 

Robinson is by far the worst....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

It will be interesting to see how the telling in the book unfolds, what was behind the alleged "undermining", what led to the "capitulation" and how the board could better have dealt with situation. I think most people would agree that the result was disastrous for the club and I'm hoping the book provides an insight into what happened.

I think you'll be a bit disappointed WJ - it's somewhat brief on this and my main recollection is that there's more content on the turmoil in the week beforehand (Schwab being let go) and Brad Green and Bails conducting a post Mortem in the rooms some hours after the game. Bails knew his time was up, Green not so sure.

14 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The offending article came after a poor game from Melbourne against the Eagles in Perth.  Bailey's team capitulated weakly to some heavy defensive pressure all over the ground, a performance that admittedly, set off doubts in many peoples' minds (including my own) about the style of coaching he had adopted for the still developing side, but Robinson was way out of line coming up with a virtual epitaph to Bailey's coaching career at such an early stage in the season. The team reacted in its next game with a 16 goal win over Adelaide at the MCG.

Coaches of losing teams are an easy target and Robinson used his position in bully-like fashion. It was weak, cowardly and ugly but Robbo has form. Look at how he dealt with the Garry Lyon/Billy Brownless situation last week - more easy targets for one with an agenda who might not be too interested in checking his facts before firing bullets. And Robbo claims to be a mate of Garry's who even dropped in to play cricket with the family. Ironically, Lyon has taken flack in some quarters for his role in the appointment of both Bailey and his successor Mark Neeld who were both thrown under the buses by the media vultures.

Garry was also out there leading the push to remove Bailey, a lot of the negative media talk was driven by him on Footy Classified particularly post the Eagles game.

He might have played a part in appointing him (Bailey) but more disappointing to me is the part he played in removing him.

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

A Journalist should NEVER create a story

Robbo tries to do it all the time

look how he has covered Essendrug and wanting Jab to keep his Brownlow....

a true journalist covers the story...both sides (if possible)

Very few journalists stick to those rules now. Which is why our Newspaper Standards have plummetted so far down. 

Robinson is by far the worst....

Who cares what journalists do or don't do.

Melbourne supporters should stop foaming at the mouth & having nervous breakdowns about Robbo, Caro, Damo, Dwayne Russell or the clowns on the Footy Show.

They are a sideshow & not the reason we have been crap for the last 10 years & flagless since 1964.

I worry about, the Board, the Coach, the Footy Dpt & the playing list - they are the real issue.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, small but forward said:

I think you'll be a bit disappointed WJ - it's somewhat brief on this and my main recollection is that there's more content on the turmoil in the week beforehand (Schwab being let go) and Brad Green and Bails conducting a post Mortem in the rooms some hours after the game. Bails knew his time was up, Green not so sure.

This is a fair summation. Nothing is there that cast's new light on Bail's dismissal

12 hours ago, small but forward said:

A mate of mine bought it online (kindle, I think)

Yes, it's available on Kindle. $9.95

1 hour ago, Cranky Franky said:

A lot of people, actually. There's a reason the press is called the fourth estate.

1 hour ago, Cranky Franky said:

I worry about, the Board, the Coach, the Footy Dpt & the playing list - they are the real issue.

Why isn't it possible to worry about such things and what the press do as well?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Melbourne supporters should stop foaming at the mouth & having nervous breakdowns about Robbo, Caro, Damo, Dwayne Russell or the clowns on the Footy Show.

They are a sideshow & not the reason we have been crap for the last 10 years & flagless since 1964.

I don't get this either. Why do people get so worked up by what journalists say? It's not anywhere near as bad as what is said on here anyway. We've sacked coaches at quarter time of a game and then knighted them by half time.

If those people you mentioned have any effect on decisions and outcomes at our club then we should be more worried about the people running it.

3 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

I am just making people aware how much power people like Slobbo actually have. 

These people can sack coaches and boards if they push hard enough & long enough

and they shouldn't have that power. 

WE the supporters and Members have the right to do that. 

• Like 1

I think some people are missing the point. We mustn't underestimate the importance of the Board, the Football Department and the coach himself but the chapter to which I was referring is all about a coach who in my view was affected by the "dead man walking" slur.

The author certainly believed it was an important enough aspect of Bailey's final season because he chose to preface the part of the book which deals with their conversations. I believe this was not co-incidental.

• 8 months later...

I tried to finish the book a few times over the past several months and found myself skimming the pages as I passed the half way mark without taking in the words. Perhaps it was the style in which the book was written but I tended to lose interest and eventually put it aside altogether.

My interest was piqued again with the season coming to an end and my being laid low in bed with a cold so I grabbed my volume and finished it off in a single sitting this morning and into the early afternoon. 

From my point of view, it wasn't particularly satisfying in regard to it being a revelation of many unanswered questions I had about the troubled times in the lead up to his sacking as coach and the unrest surrounding 186 and its aftermath all the way to the disintegration of the board that replaced that of Paul Gardner which appointed Bailey in the first place. 

Bails comes across as really good bloke. He was thrust into a job at Melbourne that could never have resulted in the type of success that say, an Alistair Clarkson has achieved at Hawthorn. Clarko most likely would have failed had he come to coach Melbourne in 2008. Similarly, Mark Neeld was, in my view, in much the same boat - there were too many divisions and too much bad history.

Some call it the Norm Smith curse and while others might laugh at the notion, it's inescapable that our club has been blighted by more than its share of tragedy over the past five decades since we became known as a club that sacked its coaches. After all, if you can sack the very best, then coaching at this club will always be a dangerous activity. And we sacked the very best in 1965.

The troubles that stretched beyond Bailey's tenure were indelibly tied up with that history and I think we're fortunate that the "bad history" might have become just that - history. 

The club is now run in a different way, without the interference that marred administrations in the past. There is a better chance that the current coach won't have to deal with "wankers" or "bullies" and if that happens, one of Dean Bailey's lasting legacies will have been to aid in the process that rid us at last of the curse.

• Like 4