Your surprise packet for 2016

dazzledavey36

Great Video on Players to Watch

H was typically humble.(himself)

Gawn was typically legendary(Trenners)

H nominating himself I think was more out of embarrassment over his performance last season. It was his way of saying to the fans, "I can do better". Hopefully he's right.

Gawn is a ripper all round. We're pretty blessed to have him at the club.

• Like 4

H nominating himself I think was more out of embarrassment over his performance last season. It was his way of saying to the fans, "I can do better". Hopefully he's right.

Gawn is a ripper all round. We're pretty blessed to have him at the club.

That's the impression I got too, and I'd rather players who back themselves than those that are scared to. Good on him for putting himself out there to perform in 2016.

• Like 3

I think the players have it right. Injury free Salem, Tyson, Kent should all have good years. We haven't seen the best of Vanders yet although the expectations shouldn't be too high. Same with the cheeky suggestion of Hogan.

No doubt Lumumba can and should be better, the question will be whether it's good enough to arrest the slide on is career or not. Grimes and Dawes are in similar positions where they can't really be much worse, the key for those 2 is they are starting preseason in good shape.

Then of course Petracca. He might have to go back to Casey a bit and work on his game but there will be moments at least when he does fantastic things.

Edit: Forgot Trenners. Even if he only gets back to VFL this year that's a huge achievement and would lift the players. If he's getting a regular game and doing a few nice things in the VFL that's great for this year. If he makes it back for an AFL game then that will be awesome.

Edited by Georgiou R.R. Martin

There are rehab facilities for people like you RM.

There's a drug out there worse than Meth - it's called 'Watts'.

Fortunately it's been been restricted to a very small sector of the community however it's more potent and more addictive than anything seen.

Occasional extreme but short lived highs mask the severe comedowns following it , however addicts remain convinced those highs will become more frequent as use continues.

After a long and exhaustive consideration of this issue I've decided Billy Stretch is going to be my favourite player this year (which really hurts cos I love Jack Viney) so he is the one.

Uses the ball so well, works really hard and has been a passionate Demon supporter for life. He's living the dream. Ripping bloke, no tickets on himself, popular and respected amongst the playing group and coaches.

Get the ball 20 to 25 times a game Billy and you'll write your own history.

I tend to overlook Stretch when discussing the side which just shows the talent being accumulated. Def under the radar with outsiders and I agree that he could really surprise the comp.

I'm excited about having this core of MFC supporters on the list. Stretch, HARMES and VINEY have that added extra passion on top of personal success to see the club succeed. I can see that passion being used as a rallying point for the other young blokes to get around. There's no way that isn't infectious amongst the group, at least in that younger age bracket.

It will be so much sweeter on grand final day seeing Melbourne SUPPORTERS holding that cup up. especially for someone like Harmes, who is really just one of us, only more talented. Stretch and Viney know no different but HARMES must really be pinching himself. Probably the player I want to see succeed more than any other, because of this

Forgot to add Grimes in to that group, but just can't see him being there. Top bloke and a mad Dees supporter as a youngster

Edited by Munga

I have had a belief for a few years now that if Jayden Hunt can actually get a good run with injuries, he would be somebody to look out for. With his outside speed coupled with the fact we actually have players capable of getting the ball out to to him, he might actually come in handy.

That and also the romantic in me would love to see Trenners get back to AFL level.

I seriously want to see a year with no major injuries. It would be a dream result if Trenners got back, Petracca had a full season, and none of the other 4-6 weekers cropped up. Imagine what our team would look like at absolute full strength given what they have already shown themselves to be capable of with pieces missing. We may not have the depth to keep going with key players out like the Hawks or WC, but our best side is starting to look pretty damn good.

Jack Grimes can still be very good as a midfield rotation or medium half back. I think he will start in Casey and then come in to cover needs. Put in our 1st call up for depth.

I think people tend to forget how good Grimes is a a defender. Everyone gets hung up on his disposal, which he does need to work on, and forget that he's a very good stopper.

• Like 1

Id rather Grimes doing the 1% 'ers and stuffing up the kick occasionally, than Harry O doing SFA hard stuff, getting the ball on the cheap, and then running like hell and bombing it to the other team. Like he does every fricken time

• Like 2

I think people tend to forget how good Grimes is a a defender. Everyone gets hung up on his disposal, which he does need to work on, and forget that he's a very good stopper.

He is very good defensively, but it absolutely kills the team when the ball is turned over in the backline, which he is an expert at. I'm not saying that he's alone in this, but if we're going to become successful we need to drastically improve our disposal as a team, especially in the back half. At this stage I prefer Salem, Jetta and even White due to the fact that they don't turn it over as much as Grimes.

I can't see him being more than a depth player in the long term.

He is very good defensively, but it absolutely kills the team when the ball is turned over in the backline, which he is an expert at. I'm not saying that he's alone in this, but if we're going to become successful we need to drastically improve our disposal as a team, especially in the back half. At this stage I prefer Salem, Jetta and even White due to the fact that they don't turn it over as much as Grimes.

I can't see him being more than a depth player in the long term.

This is a real stiff call considering he really has only played one AFL game and got caught out 3-4 times in complete no mans land resulting in opposition goals. Whilst he definitely gave a great showing of himself, Grimes is still ahead of him and rightly so seeing as a long term injury is the only way he will be getting a game and it is unlikely the club will promote him ahead of Viv Michie.

This is a real stiff call considering he really has only played one AFL game and got caught out 3-4 times in complete no mans land resulting in opposition goals. Whilst he definitely gave a great showing of himself, Grimes is still ahead of him and rightly so seeing as a long term injury is the only way he will be getting a game and it is unlikely the club will promote him ahead of Viv Michie.

Maybe I've jumped the gun a bit there, but I liked what I saw from White, and by all accounts he generally has very good disposal. My post was more aimed at my desire for high quality disposal coming out of the backline.

Maybe I've jumped the gun a bit there, but I liked what I saw from White, and by all accounts he generally has very good disposal. My post was more aimed at my desire for high quality disposal coming out of the backline.

I agree with the desire of quality disposal coming out of the backline and its why i hope we keep Salem there 1-2 more seasons before his impending move to the middle.

White could very well get the rookie elevation at the end of next season if he puts on another season like he has, which really emphasises the good work done by the recruiting and development team with Harmes and vandenBerg this year!

• Like 1

I agree with the desire of quality disposal coming out of the backline and its why i hope we keep Salem there 1-2 more seasons before his impending move to the middle.

White could very well get the rookie elevation at the end of next season if he puts on another season like he has, which really emphasises the good work done by the recruiting and development team with Harmes and vandenBerg this year!

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play ~10 games in 2016. Long-term injuries happen, and if the club wants to play both him and Michie, they'll be able to figure out a way to do that.

I think Ben Kennedy will be a surprise packet. His disposal is somewhat questionable, but he moves very well in traffic and can play a combination of both inside and out with awesome breakaway speed.

• Like 1

The one that would surprise me the most if they came out and had a very good season would be JKH. I just not convinced he can/will put it all together. He has some good qualities but I'm not convinced.

Some others would be the 3 new traded recruits. I hope trading for 3 more guys that struggled to cement places in their old teams isn't just more of the same that we've seen with Riley, Newton and Michie.

Bugg i think will become a very good B grade two way midfielder capable of keeping a quality player out of the game and having an impact offensively, as well as playing that role which free's up Viney and Vince to be more attacking and really use their weapons.

• Like 2

I find it amusing that some people still hope a player will come good after 8 seasons.

Like Dunn?
  • Like 2