NATIONAL DRAFT PICKS 3 & 7

Lucifers Hero

How does that work, exactly? Did we give them bad habits? Not work on their bodies enough?

This whole 'we destroyed them as footballers' holds no water with me. More than happy to agree that we don't get the most out of players, and haven't for a long time, but I reject the notion that our lack of proper development ruined them.

A good player at 18 that is destined to be a good player at 25 cannot be 'ruined' by anything other than injury.

We did not draft 'talented 18 years that were destined to be good players at 25'.

By and large, we drafted talented 18 year olds that, I am afraid to say, were destined to not be good enough.

Destiny ruined them.

For what it's worth, with the players named in the post I think we got the wrong guys although development in the first few years is going to be crucial.

You will never know how crucial unless you could duplicate exactly the same player and put them through different systems and measure the result. In other words we will never know...

And then drop 10 ladder places?

The guys where lost 9 in a row to start the season?

Agree, the leadership at the club was decent, but it wasn't ruthless. Voss was ruthless of himself and the players under him. Any one can lead or become a leader, but it takes a special sort to inspire people to greater feats and when the chips are down be the one to drag the whole bloody lot to his level.

• Like 1

Agree, the leadership at the club was decent, but it wasn't ruthless. Voss was ruthless of himself and the players under him. Any one can lead or become a leader, but it takes a special sort to inspire people to greater feats and when the chips are down be the one to drag the whole bloody lot to his level.

A decent collection of elite and A-grade players in your team certainly helps your leadership. During the Daniher era, Neitz was the only A-grader, whilst Brisbane had Voss, Brown (elite), Aker, Black, Lappin, Lynch, Power (A-graders).

We simply weren't good enough to win a flag during that era, and we did bl##dy well to reach a GF and preliminary.

But would Gysberts, Morton, Cook, Maric, Watts, Tapscott, Strauss and Blease be any better at other clubs? We know Maric, Gysberts, Morton and Blease weren't and we will soon find out with Toumpas.

Of course development needed to improve, but having said that I believe a lot of development comes from playing with better players and leaders. Hannebery had the likes of Goodes, O'Keefe, Bolton, Kennedy and Jack to take the brunt of the workload while he could develop.

I still stand by my 90/10 split.

Those blokes were NOT stuffed up development. They were all soft coks, who refused to hit the contest at the required intensity.

They were stuffed up drafting, pure and simple. Thats a god awful list of weak, high draft picks.

• Like 2

A decent collection of elite and A-grade players in your team certainly helps your leadership. During the Daniher era, Neitz was the only A-grader, whilst Brisbane had Voss, Brown (elite), Aker, Black, Lappin, Lynch, Power (A-graders).

We simply weren't good enough to win a flag during that era, and we did bl##dy well to reach a GF and preliminary.

That's a high bar you've set for elite if Aker and Black can't make it. Both are triple Premiership players, each has a Brownlow and one has a Norm Smith medal (with Aker only missing out because Black got it that year). I'd comfortably call them elite.

• Like 4

That's a high bar you've set for elite if Aker and Black can't make it. Both are triple Premiership players, each has a Brownlow and one has a Norm Smith medal (with Aker only missing out because Black got it that year). I'd comfortably call them elite.

The old elite, A grader, champion discussion.

They were all very, very good...Black & Lappin were favourites of mine.

• Like 1

Agree, Aker on his day was one of the most explosive players in the game. Its a pity he is more rememberd for his off field antics Rather than what he did on field because i really enjoyed watching him play.

• Like 4

So at this stage, Parish is looking likely at pick 3. Any ideas towards who pick 10 is intended for?

Absolutely must get another strong key forward to support Jesse Hogan otherwise he will have 3 defenders jumping all over him next year which would be a quick way to make him look elsewhere to play. Dawes is NOT the answer for that job. Have time for Pedersen but he is a third tallish forward.

• Like 1

Absolutely must get another strong key forward to support Jesse Hogan otherwise he will have 3 defenders jumping all over him next year which would be a quick way to make him look elsewhere to play. Dawes is NOT the answer for that job. Have time for Pedersen but he is a third tallish forward.

It's either going to be one of:

Parish / Curnow

Parish / Wideman

I reckon.

• Like 2

How does that work, exactly? Did we give them bad habits? Not work on their bodies enough?

This whole 'we destroyed them as footballers' holds no water with me. More than happy to agree that we don't get the most out of players, and haven't for a long time, but I reject the notion that our lack of proper development ruined them.

A good player at 18 that is destined to be a good player at 25 cannot be 'ruined' by anything other than injury.

We did not draft 'talented 18 years that were destined to be good players at 25'.

By and large, we drafted talented 18 year olds that, I am afraid to say, were destined to not be good enough.

Destiny ruined them.

Thats crap it was development you can't have that many early picks and miss everyone Roos has stated publicly our development was poor .

Akermanis was an absolutely amazing player. I would have him only behind Voss in that Brisbane side, and even that is debatable for me. Geez, it was an impressive midfield though.

Simon Black was the best of that 3 peat.

Thats crap it was development you can't have that many early picks and miss everyone Roos has stated publicly our development was poor .

That's specious reasoning.

As CB says - we picked duds.

And if you are wondering why people have a tough time warming to you it may be because your personality gets you to inject things like the two words you have started this post with.

• Like 1

1. Voss 2. Black (in top 3 handballers I've seen) 3. Lappin 4. Akermanis

All champions and elite.

I had a real soft spot for Lukey Power. Very underated but was an absolute gun who could run all day and gave brisbane great service over the years.

Before the game changed into a real arobic running style we forget how physically big and powerful these guys were also. They ragdoll any opposition teams that tried to get under their skin.

I enjoyed watching the brisbane era.

• Like 2

I had a real soft spot for Lukey Power. Very underated but was an absolute gun who could run all day and gave brisbane great service over the years.

Before the game changed into a real arobic running style we forget how physically big and powerful these guys were also. They ragdoll any opposition teams that tried to get under their skin.

I enjoyed watching the brisbane era.

I was going to mention him as the fifth Beatle, but he was a bit younger and before him was Hart, Ashcroft, etc. But yes, also a gun player.

1. Voss 2. Black (in top 3 handballers I've seen) 3. Lappin 4. Akermanis

All champions and elite.

The little rover that wore the helmet was an outstanding player as well can't remember his name. Edited by Middymalt

That's specious reasoning.

As CB says - we picked duds.

And if you are wondering why people have a tough time warming to you it may be because your personality gets you to inject things like the two words you have started this post with.

Stop bashing your opinions over people's heads and get off your high horse, PR states the kids didn't get developed properly PR is a premiership coach on 1.5 million a season , you and I are numbers on a footy forum so in saying that I think I will stick with what PR says about Baileys development program's . Edited by Middymalt