Radio and football racists

Soidee

It started around 2013, around the time he really started to get a voice, around the same time he made a stand against the young girl. Why was it not happening in 2005?

He's always been booed to some degree but I really think social media and the blanket media coverage has the most to answer for. that didn't exist in 2005

I just think its disingenuous and devisive to lay a blanket statement that its due to racism. Some minority will be but most will be just because like me people get the feeling he's a tossser.

• Like 1

It started around 2013, around the time he really started to get a voice, around the same time he made a stand against the young girl. Why was it not happening in 2005?

10 years is a bit tough for me to remember much of Goodes playing style but i definitely know in last few seasons he has dived and done other dirty acts which caused booing.

None the less, i think discrimination is thrown around way to readily, sexism, homophobia, racism, body shaming, people are ready to throw these words around and make accusations in order to act like a POS

• Like 2

Adam Goodes says things that are uncomfortable for people to hear.

I don't think that the majority of people booing believe that they are racists, because they feel like the issue of indigenous rights has already been solved. The problem is that they are wrong.

So, rather than confront the uncomfortable issues Goodes raises, many would rather confront Adam Goodes.

Those that claim the booing is about his football (not about his stance on indigenous rights) are either willfully ignorant, or racists (even if they don't realise it).

Why can't what Goodes does on and off the field be separate?

A lot of people probably aren't even aware of comments he has made off the field.

He's always been booed to some degree but I really think social media and the blanket media coverage has the most to answer for. that didn't exist in 2005

I just think its disingenuous and devisive to lay a blanket statement that its due to racism. Some minority will be but most will be just because like me people get the feeling he's a tossser.

I think many people have jumped on the bandwagon because they don't like him or the way he plays, they seem to ignore the fact it started with very heavy racial undertones as they don't want to be classed as such. It is a bit like joining the Klu Klux Klan because you like the food in the south of the US and then ignoring why the group exist in the first place.

A lot of people probably aren't even aware of comments he has made off the field.

they are kept separate Clint. Im sure he doesn't get booed off the field. Probaly due to him being quite a unit as well!

10 years is a bit tough for me to remember much of Goodes playing style but i definitely know in last few seasons he has dived and done other dirty acts which caused booing.

None the less, i think discrimination is thrown around way to readily, sexism, homophobia, racism, body shaming, people are ready to throw these words around and make accusations in order to act like a POS

Great observation

They can be separate, but if they were then why did this start when he made a stand on racial issues?

No one can answer this and if you truly believe this isn't racially motivated, at least at the start, then you have to be able to answer this one question.

Because, while it could be a convenient argument to justify the booing, it unfortunately isn't true.

its nothing to do with his skin - its just the crowd that are booing him have seen him for what he is. Look at the respect Davey had from all and sundry. Betts. Rioli. The majority don't give a toss about skin color but if you act like a prat on the field especially after being awarded a very dubious aussie of the year then you will be a target. Very simple sociology really

So you don't view the fact that the booing did not start immediately after the incident involving the young Collingwood supporter, but did begin almost immediately after he was named Australian of the Year as significant?

So you don't view the fact that the booing did not start immediately after the incident involving the young Collingwood supporter, but did begin almost immediately after he was named Australian of the Year as significant?

I don't know that as fact Hardtack. My thoughts are that he's been booed for a while but the media spotlight become a media frenzy and the whole thing has grown legs. In fact i think some people would look at the fixture to see when the swans were coming to town now.

Did they?

Yes it did, it all started around 2013 and especially when he made the stand against the young girl.

I would be interested to know the age of the people in this thread.

I believe that there is probably a correlation.

I think I know what you are getting at but I don't think it follows age lines.

• Like 4

So the people booing Jobe Watson were racist too? Please.

To help you make some sense of this, always answer these questions, it will help you see the difference in the two cases you list.

Why am i booing this person?

Why am I booing them now and not last week/year?

I think I know what you are getting at but I don't think it follows age lines.

I think there may be another metric or two that would show the difference much better.

Because, while it could be a convenient argument to justify the booing, it unfortunately isn't true.

I just think it is a big assumption to make about the motivations of all people who boo him. Some are racist no doubt, but I remember people jokingly jeering Adam Goodes in 2010 after this hit three years earlier on Simon Godfrey:

In that same game in 2010 at 4:44 of this video you can hear him getting booed. But that's probably because despite Melbourne's dominance that day Goodes was probably best on ground and played out of his skin:

For what it's worth I don't like the booing because it's just rude no matter the player, but to automatically assume it is being done simply because of his heritage is unfair.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 2

I hope he gets booed louder than ever this week. Not because of goodes but because if we get to the stage where we are told 'what and who and how 'when e go to the footy then society is in a real bad state.

I think goodes has been an exceptional player and i also think a lot of this booing is societies pushback on PC.

If i decide to boo someone at the footy i will not have some suit at AFL house telling me why i am booing and that i am not allowed to.

• Like 3

Garry Lyon commented some time ago that the booing would continue as long as commentators kept banging on about it & telling the public they were naughty for doing it. He was right it had almost stopped until the WC game. WC supporters have a history of booing like they did to Jobe Watson & they dislike Goodes because the Swans have belted them in Perth many times.

There are a lot of supporters that do not like the AFL and commentators wagging their fingers at them telling them what to do.

• Like 2