Radio and football racists

Soidee

I agree that compared to some countries we are great, but there is still work to do.

I think the angst comes from Goodes calling out the issues. Most other Indigenous players don't do so, and certainly not as prominently as Goodes does. For some this means they are happy, kind of like if the issue is hidden then it isn't an issue (domestic violence anyone?). When Goodes brings it to the fore it does make a certain segment of the community uncomfortable, I have met these people, I know some of these people, they don't like to face up to what has happened, and what is still happening. The more brash of this lot are the ones who start to boo because they don't like what he says, then they make other convenient excuses and others jump on board thinking that that is what it is really about. The extreme of this group are also the ones at the reclaim Australia rallies. They are scared of change and of what they don't know.

This would make up a small part of the booing group, but it was this lot who ramped up the booing and in turn got the others on board.

Some countries. No. Most countries Chris. In fact, I've now lived in 14 countries and travelled to over 70. its very hard to give examples of counter with better current race relations and impossible to name one country without racism.

Lets work on getting better but lets not sell ourselves short

I agree that compared to some countries we are great, but there is still work to do.

I think the angst comes from Goodes calling out the issues. Most other Indigenous players don't do so, and certainly not as prominently as Goodes does. For some this means they are happy, kind of like if the issue is hidden then it isn't an issue (domestic violence anyone?). When Goodes brings it to the fore it does make a certain segment of the community uncomfortable, I have met these people, I know some of these people, they don't like to face up to what has happened, and what is still happening. The more brash of this lot are the ones who start to boo because they don't like what he says, then they make other convenient excuses and others jump on board thinking that that is what it is really about. The extreme of this group are also the ones at the reclaim Australia rallies. They are scared of change and of what they don't know.

This would make up a small part of the booing group, but it was this lot who ramped up the booing and in turn got the others on board.

Actually the people protesting against reclaim australia are the fascists in this fight and unfortunately as they haven't lived in Islamic countries they aren't really aware of what they are actually protesting against but thats an issue for another forum

• Like 2

Actually the people protesting against reclaim australia are the fascists in this fight and unfortunately as they haven't lived in Islamic countries they aren't really aware of what they are actually protesting against but thats an issue for another forum

Yes the ignorant are the ones doing the fighting. Goes to my point that people don't like hearing what they don't understand or don't want to hear.

What's with all the people saying Goodes was never boo'd before his Australian of the year gig? Talk about changing history to suit a narrative. He hasn't always been a diver/ whinger but he's always been a sniper.

I haven't booed him recently but I screamed bloody murder when he dropped Simon Godfrey behind play 3 years in a row.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/how-goodes-defied-his-demons/story-e6frf3au-1111115174805

"To have the courage to go, 'Hang on a minute, I shouldn't be belting Simon Godfrey, there is something wrong here, what is it?'," said Goodes, who did not want to detail exactly what troubled him.

Must have been racism.

• Like 2

Some countries. No. Most countries Chris. In fact, I've now lived in 14 countries and travelled to over 70. its very hard to give examples of counter with better current race relations and impossible to name one country without racism.

Lets work on getting better but lets not sell ourselves short

Agreed, NZ is probably the only nation off the top of my head that has a better record, and even that has some issues.

What's with all the people saying Goodes was never boo'd before his Australian of the year gig? Talk about changing history to suit a narrative. He hasn't always been a diver/ whinger but he's always been a sniper.

I haven't booed him recently but I screamed bloody murder when he dropped Simon Godfrey behind play 3 years in a row.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/how-goodes-defied-his-demons/story-e6frf3au-1111115174805

Must have been racism.

One game against one team, unless of coarse all the other teams have caught up with this and their supporters are booing to stick for Godfrey!

Systematic booing across all teams at all games is just slightly different.

• Like 3

Must have been racism.

Didn't realize he had been booed every week since due to that....

• Like 2

he's acted like a complete [censored]. i don't see Rioli, the Jettas, Yarren, Garlett, Betts getting booed. He's a petulant sook pulling the racist victim card. Fans can see it for what it is and hence the booing.

Yeh we wouldn't want a black man showing any passion or pointing out the atrocities of the past would we. You are a d i c k h e a d

• Like 1

I was a massive fan of Goodes in his younger days but since about 5 or 6 years ago I started to hate him. Couldn't give a stuff about his 'race'.. had nothing to do with it...it was all apart how he put cheap hits on people, slid in with his feet, hit blokes off the ball (add to the fact that he kept getting Swans treatment at the Tribunal). Then he started carrying on like a pork chop during games, acting for frees, staging etc. If that alone wasn't bad enough, the smug look he would have on his face after foxing for a free kick and getting it paid as if he knew he had cheated the ump was the final straw for me. This behaviour was pointed out by the mediua throughhout the time, however, they all now seem to forget and think people boo him coz of his race? People boo him coz they don't like his attitude and the way he plays the game.

• Like 2

I was a massive fan of Goodes in his younger days but since about 5 or 6 years ago I started to hate him. Couldn't give a stuff about his 'race'.. had nothing to do with it...it was all apart how he put cheap hits on people, slid in with his feet, hit blokes off the ball (add to the fact that he kept getting Swans treatment at the Tribunal). Then he started carrying on like a pork chop during games, acting for frees, staging etc. If that alone wasn't bad enough, the smug look he would have on his face after foxing for a free kick and getting it paid as if he knew he had cheated the ump was the final straw for me. This behaviour was pointed out by the mediua throughhout the time, however, they all now seem to forget and think people boo him coz of his race? People boo him coz they don't like his attitude and the way he plays the game.

The why hasn't he been consistently boo'd for the last four years by fans from all teams at all games? It seemed to start with him standing up for Indigenous rights, why?

I have asked this too many times on here and no one as yet can answer it. If you can then great, but I can think of no other reason that people didn't like the stand he took.

I was a massive fan of Goodes in his younger days but since about 5 or 6 years ago I started to hate him. Couldn't give a stuff about his 'race'.. had nothing to do with it...it was all apart how he put cheap hits on people, slid in with his feet, hit blokes off the ball (add to the fact that he kept getting Swans treatment at the Tribunal). Then he started carrying on like a pork chop during games, acting for frees, staging etc. If that alone wasn't bad enough, the smug look he would have on his face after foxing for a free kick and getting it paid as if he knew he had cheated the ump was the final straw for me. This behaviour was pointed out by the mediua throughhout the time, however, they all now seem to forget and think people boo him coz of his race? People boo him coz they don't like his attitude and the way he plays the game

Exactly

Hes a diving sniper

• Like 2

The why hasn't he been consistently boo'd for the last four years by fans from all teams at all games? It seemed to start with him standing up for Indigenous rights, why?

I have asked this too many times on here and no one as yet can answer it. If you can then great, but I can think of no other reason that people didn't like the stand he took.

People don't like the stand he took. How dare a black man show passion and point out the atrocities inflicted on his people.It's just not right.

• Like 2

His a jerk??

Starting from when he took a stand against racism?

People don't like the stand he took. How dare a black man show passion and point out the atrocities inflicted on his people.It's just not right.

gee roostit, i wish i had your mind reading ability. i could make a fortune :)

or are you just reading from the prayer book? :blink:

gee roostit, i wish i had your mind reading ability. i could make a fortune :)

or are you just reading from the prayer book?

If what Roostit says is wrong then you will be able to answer the question i posed above. Do you have any advance on that people didn't like what he had to say?

If what Roostit says is wrong then you will be able to answer the question i posed above. Do you have any advance on that people didn't like what he had to say?

Yes.

I know a couple of people who you would describe as aboriginal rights activists who thought (in their reasoned way) that some of adam goodes's comments after his aoty were not very helpful

it wasn't because he told "uncomfortable truths" or that they were being racist, just that they thought he could have used his position in a more positive way

they did not hate or dislike goodes for what he said, just simply didn't approve of his approach

i also know people who applauded what goodes said

now it is irrelevant whether you or i would agree with their opinions or not, just that people are entitled to their contrary opinions without constantly being called racists

it's called opinion

I also have a close friend who is a rabid swans supporter. all her family have been for generations. in fact one of her family wrote a book on the swans. they would staunchly support any swan. they are all very decent people and i've never detected any racism in them. when i recently discussed this with her i was surprised when she said she thought he had to an extent brought it upon himself. she also thought the media reaction only inflamed it. again just an opinion.

people are people and they have a range of emotions and reactions that don't always fit into neat little boxes. popularity or lack of it can be a very fickle thing at times

i will agree on one thing though. it's time for the booing of goodes to stop, but it's also time to stop the inflammatory rhetoric (from both sides)