Delistings/trades at end of the season

You are right Steve.........But you know Demonland.......If someone has a bit of a off year, Trade em....

Everybody says "Develop the players" but only give them one year.....If they can't be champ by then.....Cut them off the list

OR

Trade MacKenzie, M Jones etc for Pendlebury Ablett,Fyffe et al

I hate the silly season.....It is about to come in two weeks and I have to read about all the wishful trades that have not a hope in hell of coming off.

It has already started in the media and the finals are still two weeks away.

1 year?? You can't be serious, we have players in their 6th and 7th seasons and are still not up to it.

I'd like to think McCartney is not only here to develop the kids but also identify those that aren't up to it and are no longer worth persisting with. Toumpas may fit that bill.

Yes players take longer than a year to develop but they need to be showing signs of improvement. Too many on our list have either remained stagnant or gone backwards.

This trade period shapes as one of the biggest in years with regards to our club and where we sit in the football landscape.

Stevie J surely he would bring something to our club, been at a very successful and professional club. Knows how to win and is an extrovert unlike the rest of our leaderless lot.

If I see Steve Johnson in the red and blue next season, that will be the final straw for me.

Absolute [censored] and is nowhere near as good as he once was.

Look a bit deeper

He's a selfish player, a sniper and plays for free kicks. That's enough for me to know that I don't want him at the MFC. Goes without saying, but it's not up to me. That's my opinion though.

He's a winner and they're certainly in short supply at MFC

I'm not sure that Stevie J is the direction we're going toward, and tbh I'm not sure we're the direction he's moving toward.

I'd imagine he'd take less to play for a contender, and there are a couple where he'd fit in pretty well.

We're better off backing in Petracca, JKH and Kent for our forward line next year.

• Like 4

I refuse to believe the idea that Yarran has this ingrained laziness/bad attitude thing. Do you know why? Because I've seen him play a lot over the years and this is the only year and time in his career in which he's lost the plot.

When on song, in the right environment and is confident, he has shown an ability to turn matches. Go through some tapes of Garlett this year and tell me his pressure around the ball carrier isn't infectious. Have a look at how many of his pressure acts/chase downs etc have contributed to scoring opportunities for us this year. He wasn't doing anywhere near that kind of work off the ball last year.

You have a very short memory if you're willing to box Yarran in as that 'lazy' player. But please yourself. The fact is, anybody in the football world would agree that Yarran at his best would be an extremely valuable asset. Especially for a team like us who are very one-paced and have a pretty poor skill-level all over the ground. Roos, Macca and Goodwin all have enormous ability in being able to get the best out of young players. Yarran is coming into his prime.

He's lost it more times than just this year 'steve', you can refuse all you like.

Yes he has talent and speed but his kicking is either not so good or lazy at times and he has absolutely no idea when the ball is in the air.

He's not what we need but could be an asset in a team like the Tiges where he won't be relied on as much.

Point being it looks like a few of the older Geelong players aren't going to get their contracts renewed. Surely there is someone there who can bring some of that winning culture to Melbourne. (I'm talking premiership players)

Point being it looks like a few of the older Geelong players aren't going to get their contracts renewed. Surely there is someone there who can bring some of that winning culture to Melbourne. (I'm talking premiership players)

James Kelly for me.

Shannon Byrnes ?

• Like 2

Delist:

• Matt Jones (pay out)
  • Terlich (pay out)
  • Riley
  • Bail
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Hunt (rookie spot if lucky)
  • Garland (or walk as RFA)
  • McKenzie
  • Grimes

Retire:

• Jamar
  • Cross

Will be traded:

• Toumpas (might get a fourth round pick in return if lucky, otherwise delist or rookie)
  • Howe

Should look at trading if right deal comes along:

• Tom McDonald
  • Watts
  • Dawes

Rookies:

• vandenBerg (promoted already)
  • Harmes (another year on rookie list if possible)
  • King (another year on rookie list if possible)
  • White (no idea)

No way trade McDonald.

• Like 3

From Greg Denham: '...Carlton who, with Melbourne, are also chasing out-of-contract Giant...Lachie Plowman'

From the GWS website: 'A tall defender, Lachie Plowman was selected…with pick three in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft. With a terrific ability to win the contested ball in the air and at ground level, Plowman is a poised player with good decision-making skills.'

As a defender, our interest could be a replacement for Dunn and Lumumba in a few years (earlier if their form doesn't improve). Plowman has played forward so could be a 'swingman' type or a replacement for Howe. My doubt around Plowman would be why a #3 pick cannot get a game in 2015, a year riddled with injuries for GWS. But then we can certainly use a lot of 'poise' and 'good decision-making skills'!!!!

While doubt remains about Roos' ability to convert player attitudes there is little doubt about his nous picking 'the right' players.

Right now I am very happy to take anyone who gives 100% effort and get rid of anyone who has a poor attitude and won't/can't change.

So, I would take him as he would come cheaply.

I wonder if Plowman could end up playing midfield, &/or defence, or even R/R like a goodes.

Ideal offseason:

Yarran and Plowman for the backline. not just for the defence these 2

One of: Bennell, Danger, Motlop

Kruezer or Leuenberger as a resting Forward/Ruckman

Tomlinson or Lynch for the forwardline.

One senior player with leadership qualities: Kelly/Steve Johnson

2016 Round 1 team: (Let me dream)

HB Jetta Dunn Plowman

B Yarran McDonald Salem

C Bennell Brayshaw Vince

HF Petracca Tomlinson Kent

FF Garlett Hogan Kreuzer

Foll Gawn Jones Viney

Int Tyson Vandenberg JKH Stevie J/Kelly

if we get an elite mid, forget the 32 yr old S'y J...

Plowman instead...

wheres frost?

And how well has the injury plagued GWS recruit worked for us this year? Dom Tyson hasn't had a kick thanks to knee and hamstring injuries.

drying his powder, along with frost.

The problem is that a number of the players in the gun are players that Roos brought in two years ago (Riley, Michie, Cross, Hunt, etc). And we will be having the same conversation about Newton and Lumumba next year if they don't improve markedly.

these are depth players, recruited as such, & given a chance. they have helped us change thru the list, as we move on from the soft culture. its a big job to undertake.

when top players do not want to come here, we take what we can get... you know, crawl first, before learning to stand, & then walk?

If old geelong has beens are the best you blokes can come up with we are all in serious trouble

Of course we''re so chock full of leaders with successful experience and blokes who have shown they can play at a consistantly high level.