Changes for Next Week

OUT: McKenzie, Salem (concussion)

IN: Riley, Fitzy

Fitzy to play on Tippett and maybe some backup ruck.

Grimes and Watts get one more week I think, let's not be too reactionary as our coach won't.

Going by our fitness manager's assessment Viney and Jetta won't be ready, and you'd think Dawes would be touch and go.

Tippett would kick 12 on Fitz

• Like 1

Tippett would kick 12 on Fitz

I think he'd do alright on Tippett, and hopefully would be able to run off him a bit if he's smart. Tippet is slow as sh7t.

I think he'd do alright on Tippett, and hopefully would be able to run off him a bit if he's smart. Tippet is slow as sh7t.

Tippett would be more than happy to let the midfielders kick the ball on top of him. He's far too strong for Fitzy, and Fitz hasn't even played as a back in the seniors...

McDonald to Tippett and Garland to Franklin would probably be the best case for me. This is why it's very frustrating to have Frost out too, he'd be handy on one of those guys.

He had a very ordinary game today, but he deserves another chance to show his wares next week.

How many good games has he had so far where he has played his role welll offensively and defensively. I know he is young in games but he has been a disappointment so far and probably needs a spell at Casey unless he gets more consistently involved.

But are experienced defenders.

The fact is, we'll struggle to cover them both no matter what happens.

Totally agree. So let's roll the dice hey? Surely we found out on the weekend what happens when we go boring at selection?

Out: Definitely JHK and Watts, plus any injured players

In: Hopefully Dawes and Jetta. Stretch must be getting close.

JHK is still young with plenty to learn and experience to gain - time to do so while playing for Casey

Watts has had several weeks of poor form and I think most agree he is really low on confidence. He has been unable to turn the corner in the seniors so time to see if it can get sorted at Casey.

McKenzie was OK with his limited time on ground. No significant clangers, unlike some (Jones for one....)

Still significant weakness in our midfield. Some in there must be close to dropping back.

B

• Colin Garland, Tom McDonald, Jeremy Howe

HB

• Christian Salem____???, Lynden Dunn, Jack Grimes

C

• Heritier Lumumba, Bernie Vince, Daniel Cross

HF

• Jeff Garlett, Jesse Hogan, Jay Kennedy-Harris

F

• Jack Watts, Cameron Pedersen, Max Gawn, Angus Brayshaw

Fol

• Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones, Aaron Vandenberg

I/C

• Dom Tyson, Ben Newton, Viv Michie

Sub

• Jordie McKenzie Jack Watts

I think you could get away with Gawn playing forward against the Swans. Their defenders are not overly quick. When he's played forward in the past we've been smashed off half back, because he's not good below his knees and he's not quick enough. But it might just work against Sydney and stretch their defence height-wise too. I reckon Dawes comes back in for Pedersen though and I'd be playing JKH as sub over Watts. I'd also play Jetta over Grimes if he's fit again.

Thought JKH was good despite the turnover goal, has to be in the 22.

He was marginally better this week, but a couple of his errors cost us goals. He doesn't take the first option and occasionally it works, but other times it just makes him look a little foolish. It's an experience thing. I'd give him another week, but drill that message home to him.

• Like 1

I have a very vague memory of Garland playing well on Franklin in the past. That leaves TMac free to take on Tippett.

Yep. Kept him to a couple of goals on two or three occasions. He's definitely the match up for Franklin. Tommy Mac on Tippett.

How many good games has he had so far where he has played his role welll offensively and defensively. I know he is young in games but he has been a disappointment so far and probably needs a spell at Casey unless he gets more consistently involved.

Well he can't get more consistently involved for us if he's in the 2's. I get what you're saying, but he hasn't been our worst and given our lack of midfield depth, he'll probably keep getting games.

We'll have to put up with him getting caught quite a few more times yet, but the end result we should be looking for is likely to be achieved more quickly if he remains in the seniors.

got distracted and though you were talking about Dom Tyson. couldn't agree more.

So it seems the question marks will be around Dawes, Jetta & Salem's availability.

In an ideal world I'd be going with

IN: Dawes, Jetta

OUT: McKenzie, Watts

FB: Garland, Dunn, Jetta

HB: Howe, T. McDonald, Salem

C: Lumumba, Vince, Tyson

HF: Vandenberg, Hogan, Kennedy-Harris

FF: Pedersen, Dawes, Garlett

FOLL: Jamar, Cross, N. Jones

INT: Brayshaw, Grimes, Michie

SUB: Newton

Emergencies I'd select as the cover for the three with question marks over them. Watts would have to be cover for Dawes as we don't have any other tall forward options. I'd then look at Bail & Reilly as cover for Salem & Jetta, but giving Bail first dibs given his superior running ability.

EMERG: Bail, Reilly, Watts

No offence to McKenzie, but I hope he doesn't play again. His disposal is shocking and at least Reilly has better ball winning ability to Jordie

I have been saying for 2 years now that McKenzie's disposal was not AFL standard. Nothing on Sunday changed my opinion !!! Scared options to flat footed players to start with and then selfish options to finish ( that shot at goal in the last - lucky to score instead of the pass to the leading forward)

Wasted opportunity to get game time into Riley or the Toump

Interesting to hear at the end of the game on tv commentators thought we need some speed.

I no not the greatest de but jones apparently among best maybe stretch for speed gawn took a few good grabs and booted three

Oh right sorry, silly me going by Misson's report rather than some guy's report....

well this week was 1

next week is 2

then hawthorn is 3

misson says 2 to 3, what's so hard to understand, stuie?

McKenzie was OK with his limited time on ground. No significant clangers, unlike some (Jones for one....)

I was obviously at another game.

You liked his kick off the side of his boot straight to a Docker, when he could have lobbed it into the goal square for Jesse and his handball to a standing still Jamar, who had 2 Dockers near him. I am not positive but think both may have resulted In Docker goals.

Jordie is a great guy, but is a major liability with his shocking disposal, in today's possession game, where a poor disposal often leads to the opposition scoring.

• Like 7

Very little we do from now this season is going to make the side significantly better, yes Dawes, come back in and Viney when fit and so it goes. We need to gut run for longer and improve the skills of key players. I desperately want Fitzpatrick in and will argue he is as good as the tall young kid whos name was not worth remebering or looking up in Freos forward line. I fear another Stefan Martin situation unless we get games into him. Ask yourself would you rather play on Fitzpatrick or Watts.

Very little we do from now this season is going to make the side significantly better, yes Dawes, come back in and Viney when fit and so it goes. We need to gut run for longer and improve the skills of key players. I desperately want Fitzpatrick in and will argue he is as good as the tall young kid whos name was not worth remebering or looking up in Freos forward line. I fear another Stefan Martin situation unless we get games into him. Ask yourself would you rather play on Fitzpatrick or Watts.

Yes that is depressing.

• Like 1

Viney will play at least 1 week in the VFL I'd have thought. His injury means no running at all so you'd think he'd need a run in the twos before coming back into the squad.

I was obviously at another game.

You liked his kick off the side of his boot straight to a Docker, when he could have lobbed it into the goal square for Jesse and his handball to a standing still Jamar, who had 2 Dockers near him. I am not positive but think both may have resulted In Docker goals.

Jordie is a great guy, but is a major liability with his shocking disposal, in today's possession game, where a poor disposal often leads to the opposition scoring.

I'm actually starting to think Roos picked him as the sacrificial lamb.. we know roos hates the sub rule. What benefit would it be bring in a Riley in as sub, would be more beneficial he plays a full game at Casey, same goes with Toumpas. Make Mckenzie the sub, that way players like JKH, brayshaw etc can play a full game against a top aide contending. Honestly think Mckenzie was bought it to just be the sub to not waste it on someone else. Otherwise why was he picked, I thought he was bought in for a run with role but obviously wasn't. He'll go out this week 100%

Nev got a decent belt from Dawes at training post Xmas, then he has had a couple of head knocks, he has only really failed the concussion test once, but they are concerned and rightly so, they are monitoring on a daily basis, including I believe a couple of scans, with the Roh Bail and Viney issues in the past, they have a good handle on it now, they sat him down because of the prior head knock last game

Crikey, you should do the MFC website weekly medical reports, including images of the scans. Glad you don't support the Cats, otherwise James Kelly's injury might be rather delicate to report on.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

OUT - WATTS

Why am I surprised that Henrietta likes this?

• Like 1

well this week was 1

next week is 2

then hawthorn is 3

misson says 2 to 3, what's so hard to understand, stuie?

Right, so he won't be playing THIS WEEK then hey DC? Need me to get the calculator?