12 good reasons

DeeVoted

In 1900 the population of Melbourne was 477 000 so I don't think 20 000 was a crap crowd.

The ground was probably full.

Based on today's population the comparative crowd would be186,000

• Like 1

When I daydream I often wonder which would give me the greater enjoyment - thrashing Collingwood in a Grand Final like we did in 1955 or coming from behind to beat them like we did in 1964.

I would take a grand final win by any margin. And beating those scumbags by 1 point or 100 pts, doesnt matter to me. :)

No 9 of 12:

Our 2nd 3peat. We are flying.

1957 Grand Final Results Saturday, 21st September , M.C.G

MELBOURNE 6.2 9.9 12.11 17.14 (116)

ESSENDON 2.3 4.4 7.8 7.13 (55)

Umpire: Nash

Attendance: 100,324

MELBOURNE

B: J. Beckwith (Capt.), P. Marquis, R.Fenton-Smith

HB: D. Williams, J.Lord , K. Carroll

C: B. Dixon, L. Mithen, I.McLean

HF: G.Tunbridge, R. (Tassie) Johnson, G.Case

F: R. Barassi, A. Webb, I. Ridley

R: R (Bob) Johnson, C.Wilson, F.Adams

RES: I.Thorogood, P.Brenchley

Goals: Barassi 5, Ridley 4, Webb 3, R.Johnson 2, Tunbridge 2, Case.

Best: Denis Cordner, Barassi, Melville, McLean, McMahen, Marquis

COACH - Norm Smith

ESSENDON

B: Suter, Knowles, Pascoe

HB: Shearman, Gamble, Towner

C: Burgess, Clarke, Sewell

HF: Hebbard, Fox, Booth

F: Leek, Gallagher, Birt

R: Gill, Mitchell, Hutchison (Capt.)

Res.: Moloney, Heenan

Goals: Gallagher 3, Birt, Gill, Hebbard, Clarke.

Best: Clarke, Shearman, Mitchell, Leek, Towner, Birt.

COACH - R. (dicky) Reynolds

Melbourne was not so dominant in the 1957 home and away season, being defeated five times and drawing another match. However, it was still good enough for the Demons to top the ladder, ahead of (in order) Essendon, Hawthorn (making the finals for the first time) and Carlton.

Melbourne, naturally, was the flag favorite, but all the other finalists had claims to the premiership. Melbourne's remarkable run of finals victories ended when Essendon defeated the Demons by 16 points.

It was suggested - and probably with good reason - that the Demons went into the match over-confident, paying a hefty penalty. If there was complacency in the Melbourne camp it certainly was not evident the following week when the Demons thrashed Hawthorn by 68 points to challenge Essendon for the flag.

If Melbourne had been cocky in the semi-final, it was super-determined in the grand final. In fact, Melbourne scored the opening goal - through Ron Barassi - in the opening seconds. It was a message to the Bombers that Melbourne meant business and would defend its premier status to the very last breath. Melbourne's frenzy continued throughout the first half and, with a 35-point break, the job had been done.

Melbourne coach Norm Smith had instructed his forwards to stay wide and to break up the game with short, sharp handball. The Demons followed their coach's instructions to the letter, even though restricted by injuries.

Melbourne had gone into the match with several injury problems and Keith Carroll (thigh) was replaced by Ian Thorogood in the second quarter. The Demons shrugged these problems aside to defeat Essendon by 61 points to land a third consecutive flag for the second time in the club's history.

Edit: Revised Melb Team

Edited by DeeVoted

No 9 of 12:
ESSENDON
Best: Clarke, Lucas, Mann, R. Rose, Sharp, Tuck
COACH - [censored] Reynolds

Even the auto censor didn't like Essendons coach

• Like 1

If you want to buy the 1957 GF number plates, Bobby Mac has them for sale I believe. 20 bucks for the set, in good nick.

Problem is, they are sold with the car. the car is worth 30 grand. ;)

Seems like a cheap price for a working FE Holden

No 9 of 12:
Our 2nd 3peat. We are flying.
1957 Grand Final Results Saturday, 21st September , M.C.G
MELBOURNE 6.2 9.9 12.11 17.14 (116)
ESSENDON 2.3 4.4 7.8 7.13 (55)
Umpire: Nash
Attendance: 100,324
MELBOURNE
B: J. Beckwith, P. Marquis, Trevor Johnson
HB: D. Williams, N. McMahen (Capt.), K. Carroll
C: F. Adams, K. Melville, B. Dixon
HF: J. Sandral, C. Laidlaw, L. Mithen
F: R. Johnson, A. Webb, I. Ridley
R: Denis Cordner, R.D. Barassi, S.Spencer
RES: T. Gleeson, R. Lane
Goals: Barassi 5, Ridley 4, Webb 3, R.Johnson 2, Tunbridge 2, Case.
Best: Denis Cordner, Barassi, Melville, McLean, McMahen, Marquis
COACH - Norm Smith
ESSENDON
Best: Clarke, Lucas, Mann, R. Rose, Sharp, Tuck
COACH - [censored] Reynolds
Melbourne was not so dominant in the 1957 home and away season, being defeated five times and drawing another match. However, it was still good enough for the Demons to top the ladder, ahead of (in order) Essendon, Hawthorn (making the finals for the first time) and Carlton.
Melbourne, naturally, was the flag favorite, but all the other finalists had claims to the premiership. Melbourne's remarkable run of finals victories ended when Essendon defeated the Demons by 16 points.
It was suggested - and probably with good reason - that the Demons went into the match over-confident, paying a hefty penalty. If there was complacency in the Melbourne camp it certainly was not evident the following week when the Demons thrashed Hawthorn by 68 points to challenge Essendon for the flag.
If Melbourne had been cocky in the semi-final, it was super-determined in the grand final. In fact, Melbourne scored the opening goal - through Ron Barassi - in the opening seconds. It was a message to the Bombers that Melbourne meant business and would defend its premier status to the very last breath. Melbourne's frenzy continued throughout the first half and, with a 35-point break, the job had been done.
Melbourne coach Norm Smith had instructed his forwards to stay wide and to break up the game with short, sharp handball. The Demons followed their coach's instructions to the letter, even though restricted by injuries.
Melbourne had gone into the match with several injury problems and Keith Carroll (thigh) was replaced by Ian Thorogood in the second quarter. The Demons shrugged these problems aside to defeat Essendon by 61 points to land a third consecutive flag for the second time in the club's history.

some funny best players for the scum there dv :)

I know it's the software and not the Demonland administrator's fault, but auto-censoring the diminutive of Richard is patently ridiculous.

Actually, I would have thought that what is acceptable and what is not could be controlled by the user/administrator... that is, there would be an editable file containing words and "D ick" would be in there by default.

Edited by hardtack

bit freudian, ldv - ri[censored]ulous :lol:

Its a bit [censored]tatorial really, like Stalin or Hitler. Not sure on the spelling had to look it up in a [censored]tionary.

• Like 1

Just noticed in the 1939, 1940 & 1941 teams a guy in the back pocket named Emselle. Does anyone happen to know if he was related to Ken Emselle, who played with us in the 60s? Not a very common surname.

• Like 1

yeah, bit like living in [censored]amstown. guess that's why they are called wanchors

Wanchors, is that a navy term for weigh anchor? Any way its about 5 kilos.

yeah, bit like living in [censored]amstown. guess that's why they are called wanchors

Must be an e[censored]t from the AFL about this somewhere ... or maybe the presumably American software is ad[censored]ted to censoring ... Perhaps we should just roll the [censored]e ... :)

• Like 1

Yep That is Ken Emselle's father.

Is that right? How about that! I never knew Ken's Dad played for us! Thanks, DeeVoted. That's nice to know.