Melbourne asks for draft assistance

dees189227

They really should just get rid of this rule. Last year was the precedent, we were so bad that it was sickening to watch us play and yet they saw no reason to give us a pick based on the fact that our best player (who didn't play due to mental illness) was going to return. This year I felt like we deserved it less, there was tangible improvement and we have good operators at the helm. I feel that with clever drafting and trading we will be able to improve our position significantly next year.

The only way I can see a team getting a special assistance pick is if they didn't win a game for the entire year, and even then if it was us I would doubt it happening.

The reason why it took them so long to make it official was that they were trying to find a good excuse.

At least we know now that there won't be any draft assistance to St. Kilda if they are unfortunate enough to win the next few wooden spoons or to Essendon if they lose players due to ASADA infractions.

Meanwhile the stronger clubs continue to get massive assistance via plum fixtures and scholarship schemes made available to clubs like Sydney which provide them with top five draft picks for selection 20.

So we move on ...

Get rid of the PP all together. Obviously no-one will ever be bad enough!

Then we now go as hard as possible on Clark.

As well we refuse to play most games in anything but our traditional jumper until Richmond, Essendon and Collingwood come up with geniune clash jumpers.

No more Mr. nice guys go for the jugular wherever possible.

And when the tide turns it will be time for revenge.

Remember it is dish best served cold

I just just see the AFL taking notice. We'd probably get fined!

We haven't got pick 3 yet...

Exactly. The AFL will most definitely shaft us on that too!

Compo for Frawley will prob be an end of first rounder, " cos there could be someone good in the draft there, and you can draft to replace him, and you've got big Hoges to come back" is what they will probably go with

well im glad we didnt get one. Im sick of getting all these picks. We have had great picks in the past few years and buggered them up. its time to stand on our own 2 feet. Look at port. A rabble 2 years ago but they got the right people in and are flying. Other clubs have managed to work out there issues.

I think last year we recruited some good players and now we have the right people around the club. plaus i think PJ knew we wouldnt get one but just thought he'd try anyway.

• Like 1

well im glad we didnt get one. Im sick of getting all these picks. We have had great picks in the past few years and buggered them up. its time to stand on our own 2 feet. Look at port. A rabble 2 years ago but they got the right people in and are flying. Other clubs have managed to work out there issues.

I think last year we recruited some good players and now we have the right people around the club. plaus i think PJ knew we wouldnt get one but just thought he'd try anyway.

Roughhead and Daisy Thomas say hello.

This dog-eat-dog world makes you bitter about the AFL and other clubs.

Interesting example, in my own head: Watson's Brownlow. I've always thought he seemed like a decent guy, and wouldn't have been too upset should he be found guilty but allowed to keep it.

Thinking right now: stuff him. It was drug-assisted. He's a cheat. Did he think those 40 injections were just for a tan? They oughter go the full Lance Armstrong on him. Stripped of all honours.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be nice to see the formula , requirements and see how we didn't qualify. But I suppose that would be a bit much to ask.

• Like 2

Shouldn't we be looking to form a voting block amongst the smaller clubs to seriously lobby the AFL for more equalisation measures to be implemented?

Yes we should and I can't believe this hasn't happened already - it was a key theme of my feedback on the recent members survey. Melbourne, North, St. Kilda, Dogs, Geelong (who are very much on our corner on these issues) and even Port and Brisbane should be forming a bloc to put proposals to the AFL on these issues and push our collective agendas.

Well no assistance for us means we are going to play serious hard ball with Mitch trade and Eddie will have to pay big time for him! Can' t have cake and eat it Eddie!!

Even if it means Mitch goes into PSD and St K get him for nicks - I would rather that than Eddie steal Mitch from us!! Time for MFC to show their mettle.

I hope this happens but I seriously doubt it will, our club doesn't have the balls or pride for a move like that.

Equalisation is all about perception.

Provided the AFL are talking about it and saying it they think it is happening.

Bunch of morons but hey what else did we think would happen.

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1