Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Rating our list - guess how many A-graders?

Deespicable

Given that we've all had the weekend off, I thought some of you may like to read my ramblings. Sorry but there's no three-word definitions here.

Feel free to tear strips out of my assessments.

Dees review

A-graders (1)

Nathan Jones – Has taken a step up from just being a hardnut this year with his evasive ability and clever mix of short (frowned upon under Neeld) and long kicking. Anyone who saw his game against Carlton when he took Marc Murphy and gave him a lesson would rank him this highly and his third b&f in September will make it even more obvious. Has vision and is one of few granted licence by Roosy to send the ball inboard under pressure.

B-graders (9)

Lynden Dunn – Backed up his big year last season with an even better one and a chance for AA honours if he can come home with five big weeks. Long-kick makes him one of our few linebreakers and his booming deep voice makes him a strong presence that we need. The easing of rules on tunnelling forwards this season has helped him counter the bigs and made him even more useful.

James Frawley – His detractors need to remember he has had to play most of the season as a forward and his acceleration on the lead has made him pivotal and point of difference to Pedo, Gawn and Dawes. As a defender he is a bit like Richmond’s Rance – fantastic one-on-one, but occasionally his kicking lets him down. It will be sad to see him go because he now has versatility, but it sounds a fait accompli.

Jack Viney – Watch Joel Selwood fight for every ball and you realise how important a player with that intensity is. Jack still needs to polish up his delivery and pick up a few easy balls but when he is there, you know every ball will be contested. Down the track he may become a quality tagger – just ask Jnr Libba.

Dom Tyson – Has an uncanny ability to extract the ball, his left-foot kick can be booming and he has vision and quick hands. Will need to get used to being tagged next season but he compliments the smaller Viney and Jones well. He was a late starter to pre-season, but he’s one that will benefit from specific sprint coaching in the off-season (see notes on Trengove, Toumpas).

Mark Jamar – Has always been a good strong-bodied tapman, but his marking has re-emerged this season, which has meant he is again highy-rated. He’s getting on (31 soon) but provided he doesn’t skimp pre-season, he should be able to keep Gawny at bay from No.1 ruck spot for another season.

Bernie Vince – Right from his first pre-season game against Richmond, he has fitted in and while occasionally he just bangs the ball on his boot, he generally uses the footy well and has a thumping kick – especially around goal. Only 28, so hopefully a key for two or three more years yet and has the size that Roosy likes.

Daniel Cross – How good a pick up was he? Last off the training track most weeks, smart, disciplined and still quick enough at this level. Hands up if you knew he was a great mark for his size as well? He’s like a taller version of James McDonald and so team-oriented it’s not funny.

Jeremey Howe – It’s a tough gig being a consistent key forward, particularly at Melbourne where ball-use is not always great. But Howey has found a niche down back and provided he continues his desire to tackle his man, then he’s a potential AA defender next year. His aerial skills make him a fantastic third-man up spoiler down back – a bit like Clint Bizzell in his prime. And he’s a better kick than Biz.

Tom McDonald – Some might argue that B grade is overrating him, but he’s really stepped up this year, played on all the bigs and rarely gets beaten in the air. He also takes the game on down back, which means there’s a chance we can move quickly on the counterattack – something that Col Garland needs to do.

C-graders (8)

Jack Watts – He’s the closest to an A-grader on our list and the furthest away at the same time. His disposal skills and vision is elite and I’m sure his presence helps lift the standards at training because he rarely misses a target. He’s started to lay the odd tackle but we are all waiting for that breakout game where he nails seven or more tackles. Even better if he committed a suspendable offence, but sadly we all know that’s not his nature. He needs to really hurt himself off-season getting stronger (both upper-body and endurance fit) so that he can become that elite, creative tall midfielder that Roosy correctly earmarked from day one.

Jesse Hogan – How can you give a guy who has never played an AFL game a rating? If you saw him in the pre-season, you would know he will be an instant success once he’s fit and more than likely a B-grader within weeks of his first game.

Neville Jetta – Some might even now argue that he’s B-grade, but let’s wait and see if he can show such poise and elusiveness next year as well. He’s proof that rookie-listing a player can sometimes work and make them more motivated. But realistically you have to say that he was played in the wrong position for four years, perhaps because James Bennell was the chosen one as a small defender. What I have been impressed with (read surprised) is his ability in the air.

Chris Dawes – It’s sometimes hard to get a gauge on the big fella because he doesn’t dominate and kicks bags of goals – but tell me which Demon has done that. What he brings to the table is a physical presence, just ask Adelaide’s Jaensch what he thinks of being tackled by him. I certainly wouldn’t want to be caught holding it by him. To fully earn his money, can he please show Jack Watts how to really work out in the weightroom.

Rohan Bail – There’s a group of you who want him dropped each week, but he’s the No.1 Melbourne player when it comes to pressure acts and he plays as a high forward so he doesn’t get any cheap kicks either. Sure his disposal lets him down at times, but his run is ultra important and until Kent or Blease reach his fitness level, then he’s a valuable commodity. Seems to have more awareness of what’s around him this season – hence no knockouts.

Col Garland – Second in our b&f last season, Col has the application and speed to be a B-grade defender, but lacks the confidence to take the game on and invariably resorts to the long return kick up the line when he gets it. He did attack a bit more against Port last week, so maybe someone had a word with him. But his closing speed and versatility makes him a key member of our back six. Not sure why he never gets thrown forward, but I reckon he can be a swingman in the Goldsack mould.

Jack Grimes – Plenty like to vilify him and seem to memorise his errors. But he’s a smart team player who puts his body on the line and reads the play well. He’s one who needs to go to the Chris Dawes weightroom class, because he can’t seem to shrug off tackles, but that may be partly because of his shoulder problems in the past. There’s no doubting his desire and courage though.

Jack Trengove – Anybody who saw his second season knows he can play. He’s a good mark, has good vision and he loves to tackle, but I reckon his lack of pace has made him doubt his value. While his smarts overcome some of this, he urgently needs to find a sprints coach to help build his confidence. The best thing the club can do for him when his foot is right would be to bring in Matt Shirvington for a six-week training block this summer. Misson is good for endurance, but needs to be helped out with sprint drills and technique.

D-grade now but with potential to rise (8)

Christian Salem – It’s not an easy gig to go from midfield junior to playing small forward in our side, but he gave us all a few great glimpses. He tackles well and that left-foot has been traded down by Adem Yze. As with Yze, I think he needs to spend a season or two playing down back. We really need a classy left-footer in our back six, especially if we don’t lure Malceski, and he’s got great vision. Salem also needs to join in with the sprint classes that have been prescribed for Trengove and Toumpas.

Jimmy Toumpas – We all need to get over the fact that Jimmy was taken as an outside mid with speed. He has a good workrate, has a nice sidestep, has great vision and is a deadly accurate kick and every club needs a few characters. But if he is going to make it as a bigtime player, he is going to have to work on his speed and like Trengove needs Matt Shirvington or some other highly-rated sprint coach to come in and help him find the extra yard. Otherwise he’ll have to make it as an inside-mid, which is not beyond him, but is a very hard gig.

Aidan Riley – One of the few highlights of a depressing game against Geelong. He’s a typical North Melbourne footballer – great tackler, fearless and can baulk players too. He may lack a little polish, but who cares. He could develop into a Michael Barlow type if he can get really fit after a big pre-season.

Dean Kent – Recruited as a midfielder his selfish tendencies, and lack of endurance fitness, have led him to be used as a small forward and to his credit he has applied himself really well in games. His disposal choice still lets him down a bit, but his pace and tackling desire make him worthy at this level. He is only 20 and missed a lot of pre-season, so if he works at it, he could graduate next season into a very useful wing, half-forward.

Max Gawn - Big Max is just doing time waiting for his chance to show he can do the biz as the first ruckman and Jamar’s renaissance has meant he has had to do a lot of waiting. We won’t really know where he’s at until he get the No.1 job and we see if he can counter the likes of Jacobs, Lobbe and Minson, but his development has been good and a good reason why we don’t have to waste a high draft pick on another ruckman this year.

Jay Kennedy-Harris - I just love the way he picks ball up at pace and gives it off in a flash. Sure he can’t always stick tackles yet, but he has a crack at them and another year of bulking up should see him better-equipped for AFL. The only issue is whether Roosy can overcome his “small-man” phobia and play him and let him take the game on.

Matt Jones – After 38 games straight, a zero-tackle game against Geelong brought him unstuck. But it is his “zero-goal games” that worry me. He is an outsider mid with a fair bit of run, a right-foot version of Kade Simpson at his best, but the big difference is that he rarely hits the scoreboard and as such you just wonder if his ability to find space is wasted. The big test will be when he comes back from his VFL punishment, whether his game shifts up a level. Ultimately he may just lack a weapon at AFL level.

Sam Blease – Has had to wait a long time to get a game, which is surprising given the fact that he was listed on a wing in Roosy’s media side of those up to it at Melbourne in 2013. He made a late start to pre-season but looked good in the pre-season game against Richmond. A couple of bad fumbles on the run the following week against Geelong and then Hawthorn led to a line through his name. His tackle count has improved slightly at VFL level and we all know he likes to run and score – as he did against Adelaide. I still wonder if he has enough vision (perhipheral) to make it and based on Roosy’s reluctance to play him till now, then you have to think he will be shopped around at trade time. His pace means another club will take him, although third-round at best. But my preference is for us to keep him – he seems to be coming around to the fact that the game is not all about him and goes up the line more now.

True D-graders (6)

Jordie McKenzie – I wonder how we’d rate Jordie if he was the tagger on a side with plenty of champion midfielders - a luxury that Macaffer and Crowley have. He’s tall, disciplined but his disposal hurts him and he’s only scored 10 goals in 76 games – which given he is never matched up on by an opponent is disappointing. You have to hurt the stars the other way on occasions. Well worth keeping until we decide if Viney is going to be our No.1 tagger or our No.1 ball-winner.

Cam Pedersen – A revelation this year, but I’m afraid I still only rate him as a very useful back-up to our talls. He’s shown he has a good leap and he’s got a good work ethic and tank for a big bloke, but lacks the speed on a lead of Dawes or Chip. As a result, I actually still think he could be more useful as a tall backman, an ideal replacement if Tom Mac or Dunny are injured.

Jake Spencer – My view of Spencil changed last year when he cleaned up Ben McEvoy and his first seven weeks this season showed he is a very hardworking tapman. Sure he lacks class, but so does Pyke, Mummy, Maric and quite a few others. A very useful back-up behind Jamar and Gawn and I’m really pleased they resigned him. If he’s fit next year, he could lead our VFL side to the finals.

Alex Georgiou – He showed in the first six weeks that he is quick and disciplined and not intimidated, but with Tom Mc and Dunn stepping up a level, it’s hard to see him getting a game and his disposal, while efficient, isn’t line-breaking. Happy for him to play on as a rookie but I suspect he’ll want to head back to Norwood and win a flag again. Given the cash problems at Casey, I wouldn’t blame him.

Luke Tapscott – It was great to see him playing down back again v Adelaide as that’s where he looked most at home in 2011. We all got excited because he looked like Chappy when he played forward, but Tappy doesn’t have the same evasive ability hence won’t make it up there. His courage and attack on footy is first-rate but he needs to go to the same summer sprint school as Trenners and Toump to really make it. I suspect we’ll re-contract him, but if we don’t, I think he’ll be rookie-listed at another club based on his initial season as a defender.

Dean Terlich – At times he can look like he’s a B-grader with his pace and dash but over the past two seasons it’s become obvious that he doesn’t do enough damage on the counter-attack like a Jarrod Harbrow or Rhyce or Heath Shaw because his kicking lacks depth. He’s now lost ground to Jetta’s poise and aerial skills, but he is still worth keeping as a back-up – especially if Clisby, Strauss and Nicho are all delisted.

E-graders (7)

Viv Michie – I’m not sure why we traded to get him given Roosy seems to prefer tall mids. While he looks smooth, I am not sure he has a major weapon at AFL level, being not overly quick or a damaging kick.

Dom Barry – Couldn’t believe it when he got a game at AFL level and worse still we signed him up for two more years. Hopefully the club knows more about his potential than I do.

Mitch Clisby – Hopefully he gets a chance at AFL level in next few weeks, but while he’s a reliable running defender, he’s not a thumping kick and his aerial skills are just OK. Jetta’s arrival means he’s one of three small defenders who could be moved on.

Michael Evans – His disposal really hurt him when he got his chance this year and after some promising signs three year ago, it now looks like he’s not going to make it. Has another year but wouldn’t surprise me if contract is broken.

Dan Nicholson – Unlike most Demonlanders, I actually really like Nicho’s style. He works hard, takes the game on and if he was 5cm taller and could kick it further I reckon he’d be a permanent fixture down back. But alas I suspect Old Melburnians are going to be the happiest amateur club going around next year with a new B&F.

James Strauss – I really thought Straussy would make it. He’s quick and is a long kick, but he just lacks intensity and maybe confidence. If I was him I’d head to the WAFL or SANFL where I reckon he will be a regular and his self-esteem could finally grow enough for him to make it at AFL level if given another chance.

Jack Fitzpatrick – We were all excited by his development late last year, but he really blew his chance in those first few weeks of the season. He’s been a project player for five years now and he’s quick enough to make it, but his balldrop still hurts him and he just doesn’t intimidate like Dawesy. He’s contracted for next season, but I’d do a Jetta and offer to rookie list him.

Not up to it yet (3)

James Harmes – I know there’s quite a bit of manlove going around for Harmesy but I still don’t see what aspect of his game is worthy of raving about. Touch and go I think whether to delist him or give him a second year.

Jayden Hunt – Looked good in pre-season training, but then struggled at VFL level to win the ball despite his pace. He will need to remain injury-free next season to have a chance to develop enough to warrant a third year.

Max King – Another who looked good pre-season, but struggled at VFL level before a succession of injuries ruined his year. Has good skills for a big bloke, but may lack pace and the mongrel to make it. Another who would be touch and go to remain on rookie list.

Retired

Shannon Byrnes – Yes I know he hasn’t announced it yet, but I’m sure he is just waiting to make sure he gets his full injury payout before announcing it.

• Like 2

Nathan Jones is a good B grade, for mine, and any climb up the ladder is going to require several midfielders with brilliance than goes past the very good workmanlike Jones. Plus serious talent around the ground, able to cut through in a way Jones still keeps trying, unsuccessfully, to do. You have to have players who dissolve the shackles.

Heresy, I know...

Nathan Jones is a good B grade, for mine, and any climb up the ladder is going to require several midfielders with brilliance than goes past the very good workmanlike Jones. Plus serious talent around the ground, able to cut through in a way Jones still keeps trying, unsuccessfully, to do. You have to have players who dissolve the shackles.

Heresy, I know...

He was b grade, his game has gone to a new level. He's not getting caught holding the ball like he used and his decision making has greatly improved. Can be relied on week after week.
  • Like 1

What a waste of time this exercise is.

Are you going to give out elephant stamps now? What was the system behind this other than your opinion? What do you plan to do about it? What is the actual point? Besides the fact that it is a fruitless discussion, you clearly have not enough objectivity in how you decided this list seeing you have a guy like Terlich who has been regular 22 for a big part of the year, behind a guy who hasn't even played a game in Hogan, and a struggler like Blease.

Nathan Jones is not A Grade. He is dam close and i love Jonesy but he is not A Grade.

He does go missing more than an A Grade player should.

Most of the B Grade Players you have listed are C Grade.

Our list is rubbish in comparison to other AFL Lists thanks to previous fools who ran the club.

When doing ranking, you prob need to give examples of grades.

IMO

Elite: Ablett, Pendles

A Grade: Rockliff, Dangerfield, Watson, Kennedy, Fyfe

B+ Grade: Ward, Murphy, Mundy

B Grade: Sidebottom, Heppell, ASwallow,

C+ Grade (on the up with consistent production): D Sheil, O Wines, Macrae, O'Meara , D Swallow

C Grade: (standard) Armitage, LShiels, Masten, Mzungu, CYoung

D Grade (youngsters on the way up but not reliable production):

D Grade (standard): Lester, Ray, K Stevens, X Ellis

E Grade: (not regulars)

F:

NA

No one in Elite or A Grade

B+: Jones

B: Frawley, Vince

C+: Tyson,

C: Watts, Dawes, Dunn, Cross, Garland, Pedersen, Tmac, Grimes, Howe, Jamar

D+: Salem, Viney, Kent, JKH, Gawn

D: Trengove, Riley, Bail

E: McKenzie, Blease, Michie, Evans, Clisby, Tapscott, Spencer, MJones, Terlich, Fitz

F: Byrnes, Strauss, Nicholson

NA Hogan, Hunt

NA- (players showing worrying trends) Toumpas Barry

• Like 1

Nathan Jones is A grade FFS. Development such as his in the environment he's had to endure is incredible. Seriously underrated in the media because he's been in a crap side for so many years, constantly in the best players on the field.

• Like 1

No A-graders on our list.

Nate Jones B grade at best.

Nowhere near the class of Pendles, Beames, Selwood, Boak, Dangermouse, Mitchell, Hodge ... need I go on?

Tough on Nathan Jones - where would the club be WITHOUT him?

I am not so concerned re A graders (tho want to have them) as I am about those who will never make it - Byrnes (history obviously), Nicho, Evans, Strauss, Blease ( a one trick pony), sadly looks like Tapscott, probably Spencer. Michie, Toumpas (Ollie Wines, if only) and Barry would want to improve big time and in a hurry. Cannot carry deadwood but I know the list is/was so bad it cannot be totally fixed in 5 minutes.

Just heard Roos signed for the 3rd year - some good news.

If we ever win more than eight games a year, I'd imagine some people would have our entire list as A or B graders.

Jones is a very good player but not A grade. Vince, Tyson and McDonald are the only others who are genuinely B grade or above.

Calling Jamar and Howe B grade is laughable, and probably Frawley and Viney are in that category as well on exposed form this year.

The reality is that a decent portion of our list is not AFL standard (probably about a quarter), and the rest are either genuine C or D graders or unexposed at this level.

good effort, agree largely with your rankings

we need to bring in, or develop, about another 10 players who are B-or-higher, and amongst the group with need a couple of As

I really think Roos can engineer that task.. Tyson, Viney, Watts (still!) and Hogan are very good chances, Salem and Kent outsiders

we are actually not that far off , a few more solid imports like the 3 we got this year, couple of high draft picks, and some young talent developing in the sheds already

I think at the end of 2016 things will be looking pretty good

Are you going to give out elephant stamps now? What was the system behind this other than your opinion? What do you plan to do about it? What is the actual point? Besides the fact that it is a fruitless discussion, you clearly have not enough objectivity in how you decided this list seeing you have a guy like Terlich who has been regular 22 for a big part of the year, behind a guy who hasn't even played a game in Hogan, and a struggler like Blease.

Bit harsh Stuie. Whilst I don't care much for ranking players, many feel the need to do so. Of course it's fruitless and an opinion. No one actually believes anything will come of it. This is a footy forum based upon half views that will have no impact upon the player list. 'Land is all about conjecture.

But I did like the irony of you dissing a poster for ranking our list and then presenting your own player comparison as a counter argument. Too funny.

• Like 2

Bit harsh Stuie. Whilst I don't care much for ranking players, many feel the need to do so. Of course it's fruitless and an opinion. No one actually believes anything will come of it. This is a footy forum based upon half views that will have no impact upon the player list. 'Land is all about conjecture.

But I did like the irony of you dissing a poster for ranking our list and then presenting your own player comparison as a counter argument. Too funny.

Where are you Stu? Don't take this [censored] from Looniemoonie. Come online and give him a good smacking.

What a waste of time that response was.

If you don't have any interest in the topic, don't click on it and if you don't like what you read, don't add to the debate.

There's always one poster who feels he is responsible for administering content and what is and isn't a good exercise.. Thank christ no-one monitors each of your 6,000 'gems' to this forum.

• Like 1

To answer the question, at absolute best 1. When teams like Sydney and Hawthorn arguably have 5-6 A grade players in their particular position, it does speak volumes for how well we've done to compete this year.

I think we have 3-4 players with 'potential' to be A-graders on our list, which bodes well for the future.

What a waste of time that response was.

If you don't have any interest in the topic, don't click on it and if you don't like what you read, don't add to the debate.

There's always one poster who feels he is responsible for administering content and what is and isn't a good exercise.. Thank christ no-one monitors each of your 6,000 'gems' to this forum.

Bloody Hell Stu, they're all after your scalp. Come and kick some arse - I know you're up to it!

To answer the question, at absolute best 1. When teams like Sydney and Hawthorn arguably have 5-6 A grade players in their particular position, it does speak volumes for how well we've done to compete this year.

I think we have 3-4 players with 'potential' to be A-graders on our list, which bodes well for the future.

I think a lot here overrate the top sides in terms of the quality of their lists, I posted this recently:

Average 2014 AFL Fantasy Score Per Game rankings:

MFC AVE 81

29 jones

56 vince

81 cross

86 tyson

Sydney (AVE 32)

5 Kennedy

30 McGlynn

36 Parker

40 K.Jack

49 Hannebury

Hawthorn (AVE 50)

20 Lewis

44 Smith

47 Hodge

64 Shiels

74 Mitchell

Geelong (AVE 35)

3 Johnson

19 Selwood

33 Bartel

55 Stokes

65 Duncan

Freo (AVE 53)

8 Barlow

21 Fyfe

57 Mundy

77 Sandilands

100 Hill

Those 4 clubs between them have 13 players in the top 50 versus our 1 (NB 50 players is basically the top 10%)

So they have 3 each versus our 1 in reality

Everyone seems to overlook the fact that every individual in a good side appears better than he is because of the quality around him - I have no doubt if Watts was at one of these clubs he would be an excellent player, our lack of functionality often stymies players and makes them look god awful

Would be more meaningful to line them all up and only offer roses to those you thought were A grade footballers, then have a cook off to see who gets evicted from the house after the sms votes are counted....

Far out. Pointless.