Paul Roos on Footy Classified

dees189227

Did he say anything cool on AFL 360?

Not much that hadn't been covered already. Most notable was:

- re the Wingard free, did not dispute that it was a free, but questioned whether one should have been awarded to Pedersen for a similar incident. The manner in which he said it indicated to me that he shared the frustration over the imbalance in the umpiring.

- broke down the three key mistakes towards the end of the game. Jones quickly playing on he attributed to Jones not hearing the whistle so [censored] happens basically. Dawes bomb to no-one he said was clearly the wrong choice, but Dawes knew that as soon as he came off the ground. Grimes OOTF he said was the "most forgiveable" given the situation and the fact that Grimes has no option but to play on quickly and therefore attempt the risky kick under pressure.

- said he had not heard about the Malceski rumour until coming on the show and that he had not approached him. Did however confirm that a player like Malceski is needed, i.e. a running half back with clean distribution. Conceded that as good as our defensive group is, we lack a player of that ilk.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 7

Grimes OOTF he said was the "most forgiveable" given the situation and the fact that Grimes has no option but to play on quickly and therefore attempt the risky kick under pressure.

I thought the Grimes kick was a high degree of difficulty kick, in a situation that required the risk, that was errant by a centimetre.

Me and Roosy are Grimes apologists.

Edited by Nasher
  • Like 9

"We have started informally talking to guys (successor) but ensuring we are respectful to other guys at clubs. Keeping it casual to see who is interested. Would ideally like to have a shorter list by round 22. It will be a board and coaching panel decision. What we need is someone who has similar views on football as myself, we want constancy with a playing grow." (paraphrasing)

"Won't be longer than 3 years, wife has made huge sacrifices. Couldn't be longer than 3 years."

"Already spoken to Peter about continuing in some sort of capacity."

He wont stay longer than 3 years? Then how will he continue in some capacity

Confused

Confused

I agree, what difference would the role he plays at the club make to Tami? besides I am assuming he won't make 1.5 mil a year in another role

Confused

He wont commit to being a full time head coach beyond 3 which is a 24/7 gig, but probably open to a job as director football or something similar

Also made reference to finding a balance between clipping players over the ears (Neeld) and giving them a hug (Bailey).

"kick to the top of the square was a default mechanism from the Neeld game plan which we are still trying to shake from the players" (paraphrasing)

I heard 'fault'. Maybe I just hear what I want to hear. Haha.

Either way, clearly wasn't a fan of how the players had been trained.

What a crap interview ... Focused 90% on his coaching future & Caro trying to get a headline on a crap dinner with afl ceo FFS how about talking about player development & what's changed culture, development coaches... What's needed to play finals footy!

Edited by Hogan2014

I would have loved him to expand on how we will make the transition from heavily defensive to more attacking. But I liked that he made mention of the fact that if you can score and make the opposition work harder in defence you make it easier for your own defence.

What a crap interview ... Focused 90% on his coaching future & Caro trying to get a headline on a crap dinner with afl ceo FFS how about talking about player development & what's changed culture, development coaches... What's needed to play finals footy!

she was fishing for a scrap and he went the other way. You could tell she was hating it

Roosy said on AFL 360 he has not contacted Nick Malceski, exactly the type of player we need right now, thinks he's in career best form

said they are interested in Ling but doesn't think he has made a decision whether to coach or not

I reckon Lenny Hayes might have just shortened

A bloke who wants to be a head coach but also has no baggage as his style the onlyway to play

Knows Lyons/ Roos types structures and style

Has credibility as a player who has performed on the big stage(norm Smith medal)

Will have a few years to get to know Roos who seemed to be pointing to real mentor role after transition

He said he loves all about MFC exec players supporters

Very positive interview on that issue alone

• Like 1

Hard now to see where the successor will come from.

Ling and Kirk are now out it seems.

Dews name came up again and I wonder about Bomber Thompson. Can't see him staying at Essendon, likes Roosy and was very positive about our game against Port.

The field seems way open again.

The consensus is Chip is gone and that comes as no surprise.

Interesting stuff i reckon. I think most of us are just expecting the 3rd year extension to be a done deal. Must say im not convinced after watching that interview.

Whilst it appears he wont be the successor, I still wouldnt rule out Ling coming to us as an assistant. Wonder what Bomber Thompson will be doing next year and beyond if JTurd regains control of the pharmacy???