GOODBYE MR. CHIP FRAWLEY

Frawley  

433 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it would be great if Chip finished up at Freo. It would reunite him with another free agent who left the club to play finals.

What's his name?

Colin :wub:

I'd send them the 3 Musk atears, Col, PotatoChip & Watto... Lyon needs to kick goals before his Rep is shot.

dee-luded, your posts have moved into a cosmic level :)

I'm really struggling with all this atmo, the Dees down for 50 yrs, & my best little mate just passed on Friday. they expected him to go 9 weeks ago, I kept him going with herbs & spices, but just couldn't kill the beast. its been a 6 month struggle with many issues, after a night time dog attack.

20years +/-

Edited by dee-luded

I'd send them the 3 Musk atears, Col, PotatoChip & Watto... Lyon needs to kick goals before his Rep is shot.

I'm really struggling with all this atmo, the Dees down for 50 yrs, & my best little mate just passed on Friday. they expected him to go 9 weeks ago, I kept him going with herbs & spices, but just couldn't kill the beast. its been a 6 month struggle with many issues, after a night time dog attack.

20years +/-

I feel your pain.

If Sylvia was taken at pick 23, 35 or even pick 63 instead of pick 3, this thread probably wouldn't even exist.

The draft is flawed. It's a long way from being an accurate measure and always will be. It's quite laughable how so many have bought into the draft the way they have. Astonishing really.

Just accept it for what it is and view every draftee as a recruit only ... with no number attached to his name.

Sylvia was always going to turn out the way he did - of course, we weren't to know that when he was only 17 years old.

Move on.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

If Sylvia was taken at pick 23, 35 or even pick 63 instead of pick 3, this thread probably wouldn't even exist.

The draft is flawed. It's a long way from being an accurate measure and always will be. It's quite laughable how so many have bought into the draft. Astonishing really.

Just accept it for what it is and view every draftee as a recruit only ... with no number attached to his name. Or is that too sensible?

Sylvia was always going to turn out the way he did - of course, we weren't to know that when he was only 17 years old. Move on and stop your moaning. It's pathetic.

And some out there will see me as making excuses - I'm not.

The only real problem I have with Silvia 'Macca', is all the MFC supporters and so called football experts who saw him as this great talent ready to explode onto the scene if only he got this or that right.

I've always said he is what he is and has played to his potential. It's now being proven at Freo. Col has always been an ok footballer nothing better nothing worse, he has some good traits and those got him on an AFL list and he has some shortcomings that meant he wouldn't go much further.

The only real problem I have with Silvia 'Macca', is all the MFC supporters and so called football experts who saw him as this great talent ready to explode onto the scene if only he got this or that right.

I've always said he is what he is and has played to his potential. It's now being proven at Freo. Col has always been an ok footballer nothing better nothing worse, he has some good traits and those got him on an AFL list and he has some shortcomings that meant he wouldn't go much further.

He had more than a few good traits in his last under 18 year, rjay. He was a standout junior. That's why he went at no.3 in the 2003 draft.

But the draft is not an accurate measure of 17 year old talent and is flawed. Given that being the case, how on earth is it Sylvia's fault if he didn't become a star?

It is what it is.

He had more than a few good traits in his last under 18 year, rjay. He was a standout junior. That's why he went at no.3 in the 2003 draft.

But the draft is not an accurate measure of 17 year old talent and is flawed. Given that being the case, how on earth is it Sylvia's fault if he didn't become a star?

It is what it is.

No, I would say he still had a few good traits that were standout as junior and didn't expose those that he didn't have. I reckon a really good recruiter would have seen this but maybe not.

It's not his fault he didn't become a star, that's what I've been saying for a while now.

No, I would say he still had a few good traits that were standout as junior and didn't expose those that he didn't have. I reckon a really good recruiter would have seen this but maybe not.

It's not his fault he didn't become a star, that's what I've been saying for a while now.

In essence, we agree but for slightly different reasons. I'm happy to go with that.

I can't remember that far back but I can't remember any reports on Sylvia saying he was "lazy" or "didn't work hard enough" (at the time) If it were nowadays, I still believe he'd be a standout junior with big raps on him ... buyer beware hey?

With a 10 year sample size, I've worked out that the odds of of snagging an A grader with a top 5 pick sits at 7-2. Not bad odds but not great either. There are no guarantees and Sylvia is living proof on that.

In essence, we agree but for slightly different reasons. I'm happy to go with that.

I can't remember that far back but I can't remember any reports on Sylvia saying he was "lazy" or "didn't work hard enough" (at the time) If it were nowadays, I still believe he'd be a standout junior with big raps on him ... buyer beware hey?

With a 10 year sample size, I've worked out that the odds of of snagging an A grader with a top 5 pick sits at 7-2. Not bad odds but not great either. There are no guarantees and Sylvia is living proof on that.

It was more his lack of awareness and its mate peripheral vision that meant he was never going to be a star. As a junior he could use his physical assets such a his strength and marking to take the game on, you need so much more at AFL level.

The odds are interesting. I wonder if they will improve with more information available on players now. Somehow I think there will always be some to slip through the system and some at the high end who will disappoint.

With all the available information available and time in the system it's interesting that Freo still picked up Col. I reckon Roosy put one over his mate on that one. Interesting to see how he gets the better of other good mate Perty.

Edited by rjay

It was more his lack of awareness and its mate peripheral vision that meant he was never going to be a star. As a junior he could use his physical assets such a his strength and marking to take the game on, you need so much more at AFL level.

The odds are interesting. I wonder if they will improve with more information available on players now. Somehow I think there will always be some to slip through the system and some at the high end who will disappoint.

With all the available information available and time in the system it's interesting that Freo still picked up Col. I reckon Roosy put one over his mate on that one. Interesting to see how he gets the better of other good mate Perty.

I can almost guarantee that "at the time" most Demon fans would have been happy and excited to snare a player of Sylvia's talents. I keep stressing "at the time" because that's the most important aspect with all this revisionist stuff.

We can't change what we thought at the time ... have a read of the Toumpas thread if you get a chance, rjay ... there's not that much said about Wines as compared to now.

My view is to make the best of what you've got. Plus, in my view it's a flawed system we're talking about so it's largely academic. I came to terms with the draft a long time ago

In the end, we got a win by "virtually" swapping Vince for Scully. Against that is that we might have snared a decent young prospect with the Vince pick (pick 23) Then again, we might have picked another kid with that pick who may not have made it.

Edited by Macca

Hawkins was awesome last night. Without him it was a 10 Goal loss.

Hope Boomer gets 2 weeks. Little sniper always does it.

Funny about Boomer (not sure if has been posted already), Schwartz on SEN on friday i think it was said he will get reported.. I can't believe he was right haha!

I had reasonably high hopes for Col based on his natural talent but that natural talent was probably more suited to the footy we saw played in the 80's & 90's. I also had reasonably high hopes for a number of others who didn't make it. However, because it didn't work out, I'm not going to complain about it.

The game started changing dramatically from the mid 2000's and Col wasn't the only one to be left behind. You could say the same about a lot of our players. And, many players from other teams. We just seemed to have more of them and our coaching played a big part as well.

Interestingly enough, under 18 footy is often not played in the same way that the AFL is. Flooding is frowned upon and there's nowhere near the same amount of players around the ball. In effect, the clubs are still recruiting players that are in some cases, more suited to a style of footy from yesteryear.

Edited by Macca

I think it would be great if Chip finished up at Freo. It would reunite him with another free agent who left the club to play finals.

What's his name?

Colin :wub:

Think his name is Colin the Bench Warmer.

But I could be mistaken.

I thought he'd signed with the cats, Picket?

Like I said, they were confident, but it was far from over the line.

I personally think he's probably posturing for a larger contract, and will still go to Geelong.

But you don't make these trips if anything has been shook on.

• Like 3

Just checking out the facilities, presumably ... :)

• Like 2