RD 1 2014 - v St. Kilda @ Etihad Saturday Night

demonkeaney

When I said that Blease and Toumpas were "crap" I am obviously talking about the here and now. And right now they don't impact games of footy and have been exposed by the intensity of AFL footy. I wouldn't have included them in the possible 2014 round 1 line-up if I didn't acknowledge their innate talent and potential to improve. I have great faith in Paul Roos to give every player the chance to realise their potential. I don't feel the need to state this all of the time, because it's a given. Throbbie may feel the need to enlighten us all by stating the bleeding obvious, but I don't.

The future is bright and I look forward to 2014. If the midfield can "click" pretty quickly we'll play some competitive footy next year.

No need to defend yourself on those two when it comes to output and ability I think everyone on here knows they have talent and in Toumpas' case it should just be a matter of time, Blease a bigger concern.

But the great balancing act for any bad team in any sport is do you go with the skilled players who might eventually make it or do you go with the guys who contribute now but might not have a great future. It's the same thing the Aussie cricket team is struggling with. In fact our slides have mirrored each other quite nicely.

I just think the bulldogs 2013 would be a perfect model for demons 2014. Start off slow developing a few kids who can play but sticking with some older and more mature types (Nick Lower etc) until the team builds some confidence and then more young guys can come in - in the back half of the year the dogs got Tom Campbell, Nathan Hrovat, Mitch Wallis, Lachie Hunter, Tutt and even Jarrad Grant playing well!

So if I was Roos I'd say we've got Kent, we've got Michie and Tyson stepping up, we've got Watts new to the midfield and we've got Hogan. So surround them with Cross, McKenzie and Matt Jones who can do the AFL running and physical stuff. Then second half of the year bring in Toumpas, Blease, Pick 9. Now that's all on paper stuff in maybe Michie and Watts need the VFL time and Pick 9 and Toumpas are AFL standard next year but either way my point is balancing some youth is probably a good idea in a team so bad last year that after a few goals were conceded in succession it often followed with 10 goal quarters against, no contested ball and no inside 50's.

• Like 2

We will go out and destroy the saints, i'll put my house on it!

Thought you said you were 16 years old. How the bloody hell do you own a house already?

• Like 5

Thought you said you were 16 years old. How the bloody hell do you own a house already?

mows lawns?

resets computers for old people?

maybe a barbie doll house?

• Like 1

something he's not telling dad perhaps ?? lol

November 6 start of pre-season and a long way out from round 1. I like reading the predictions for round 1, it gives you that little hope that we won't suck next year. I find it amazing the different positions we put players into. For example, some have Trengove as HFF and Watts on a wing, Trengove is a midfielder if he doesn't play that role he doesn't play, Watts is a forward that has the ability to push into the midfield. Some then put midfielders on the HBF, I have seen Toumpas, Cross, Vince, Michie, Trengove all on the HBF, we need these players in the midfield, leave the HBF for Grimes, Terlich, Jetta, Strauss, Dunn, Clisby and I wouldn't mind seeing Tapscott back there as well.

I meant i'll put my parents house up.

They don't have to know.

I meant i'll put my parents house up.

They don't have to know.

Let's hope they're Melbourne supporters too. :)

November 6 start of pre-season and a long way out from round 1. I like reading the predictions for round 1, it gives you that little hope that we won't suck next year. I find it amazing the different positions we put players into. For example, some have Trengove as HFF and Watts on a wing, Trengove is a midfielder if he doesn't play that role he doesn't play, Watts is a forward that has the ability to push into the midfield. Some then put midfielders on the HBF, I have seen Toumpas, Cross, Vince, Michie, Trengove all on the HBF, we need these players in the midfield, leave the HBF for Grimes, Terlich, Jetta, Strauss, Dunn, Clisby and I wouldn't mind seeing Tapscott back there as well.

Listened to Paul Roos speak or caught a game of modern AFL of late?

Roos has expressed his desire to play Watts as a midfielder. So if you have any faith in Roos you should name Watts as a midfielder.

Roos' Sydney and most AFL teams have named back up midfielders on the half forward flank for a long time now. With Trengove's good over head ability he's a perfect type to play half forward as well as midfield. Same as Michie. Same with

If we had more than 10 or so decent midfielders then I'd put one or two of them on a half back flank. Look at Geelong with Jimmy Bartel, Josh Kelly and Corey Enright, all midfielders who play HBF. Jarrad McVeigh was great for Sydney this year as a back flanker. I don't like Michie, Cross or Trengove for that role but if we had the spare mids then Vince would be great back there. Same with Toumpas if he gets his body strength up and can defend then he'd be a great back flanker.

Half the reason we are in such a midfield mess is we keep trying to train up flankers at either end. Really all of Terlich, Clisby, Strauss, Jetta, Tapscott, Blease should be considered developing midfielders and then come in to the side as forwards or backs depending on need.

• Like 1

I was watching part of the replay of our game v St. Kilda from this year (Neil Craig's first as coach) and I'm sorry to say this but despite the hype that we were rejuvenated under a new coach, we sucked.

The good news is that the introduction of players who missed that game through injury (Dawes was felled behind the play and subbed off after half a game too) and our new midfield is going to make us virtually unrecognisable as a team when we step out against St. Kilda in round 1.

Amazing that despite everything, we had more inside 50s on the day.

When we meet next St. Kilda won't have Dal Santo (28 disposals), Montagna (35) and even Koschitzke did SFA but finished with two goals.

I think with our new midfield setup we just might have their measure.

Melbourne

Out: Sylvia, Rodan, Davey, Blease, Nicholson, Byrnes, Dunn, Pedersen, Fitzpatrick, Spencer

In: Vince, Cross, Tyson, Michie, McKenzie, Hogan, Grimes, Frawley, Clark, Gawn

Plus a fit Dawes

St Kilda:

Out: Dal Santo, Montagna, Kosi, McEvoy, Gwilt, Simpkin, Dunnell

In: Hayes, Savage, Tom Lee, Hickey, Bruce, Delaney, Fisher

Plus no doubt a few other changes for the saints

We are likely to bring in some key forwards, they will likely actually bring in some key defenders who are actually tall enough to play that position. But I agree it's all about how well our midfield clicks at stoppages and in general play with and without the ball. If it all works well early then we shut down Jack Steven and see if Hayes, Armitage and a bunch of kids can beat us.

Montagna is a huge out for the saints. Without Dal Santo as well we really can focus attention on Steven. Maybe the saints can uncover some unknown gem but right now poor Jack Steven is looking like becoming the next Nathan Jones.

• Like 1

Anonymity doesn't make what is written on the internet non-corporeal. It removes all context and sheds credibility but an insult is an insult whether you know that person's name or not.

With that said - there are worse opinions then thinking someone is crap or a dud.

To those criticising BH for that, there are far more vile and mean spirited things being said on BF, Facebook, and even on here about posters and a few players.

If you post things without proper thought and consideration, you can be expected to be taken up about it. Isn't that what discussion debate should be at least partially about?

What I object to on here is it is not always civil, and I think there is no excuse for that. Or there shouldn't be.

It was Paul Roos who suggested that Jack Watts should play more consistently in a set position, preferrably in the midfield, and preferrably the Wing. I think we can take it as read!

If you post things without proper thought and consideration, you can be expected to be taken up about it. Isn't that what discussion debate should be at least partially about?

What I object to on here is it is not always civil, and I think there is no excuse for that. Or there shouldn't be.

Some on here also have a 'glass jaw.'

Incidentally, that isn't meant to be offensive but will be taken by some in that fashion.

I think it is well past time to get down from that high horse D2014. You are a prolific recent addition to the Land family and you rub some the wrong way - stop taking offence at the slightest dig. And if you still have issues - contact Nasher or Demonland and they will hear you out.

Some on here also have a 'glass jaw.'

Incidentally, that isn't meant to be offensive but will be taken by some in that fashion.

I think it is well past time to get down from that high horse D2014. You are a prolific recent addition to the Land family and you rub some the wrong way - stop taking offence at the slightest dig. And if you still have issues - contact Nasher or Demonland and they will hear you out.

Thanks for that....

If we had more than 10 or so decent midfielders then I'd put one or two of them on a half back flank. Look at Geelong with Jimmy Bartel, Josh Kelly and Corey Enright, all midfielders who play HBF. Jarrad McVeigh was great for Sydney this year as a back flanker. I don't like Michie, Cross or Trengove for that role but if we had the spare mids then Vince would be great back there. Same with Toumpas if he gets his body strength up and can defend then he'd be a great back flanker.

Joel Corey? Enright is a 5x AA back.

• Like 1

Listened to Paul Roos speak or caught a game of modern AFL of late?

Roos has expressed his desire to play Watts as a midfielder. So if you have any faith in Roos you should name Watts as a midfielder.

Roos' Sydney and most AFL teams have named back up midfielders on the half forward flank for a long time now. With Trengove's good over head ability he's a perfect type to play half forward as well as midfield. Same as Michie. Same with

Half the reason we are in such a midfield mess is we keep trying to train up flankers at either end. Really all of Terlich, Clisby, Strauss, Jetta, Tapscott, Blease should be considered developing midfielders and then come in to the side as forwards or backs depending on need.

Josh Kelly is already at Geelong hey? ;)

Because it's at Etihad and we finished lower than St Kilda on the ladder.

I reckon we'll get done in round 1.

With all due respect, you're not exactly the champion of optimism.

If there's ever a chance to get a win at Etihad, it's when we don't have a losing record (yet), we have an opponent who ranks near us in terms of awfulness, we have a new coach and unbridled optimism, and any 'surprise' element we have with Hogan is still under wraps.

• Like 2

With all due respect, you're not exactly the champion of optimism.

If there's ever a chance to get a win at Etihad, it's when we don't have a losing record (yet), we have an opponent who ranks near us in terms of awfulness, we have a new coach and unbridled optimism, and any 'surprise' element we have with Hogan is still under wraps.

go us !!!!! :)

Joel Corey? Enright is a 5x AA back.

Enright has spent his entire career as a defender sure. Hence the 5 AA. But he was drafted as a midfielder and would've gone in the midfield for most other teams. It just so happens he was the best defender and they had Kelly, Bartel, Corey etc as versatile players. My point remains regardless you try and fit as many "midfielders" in the team as they are the best tacklers, runners, ball winners, readers of the play.

Might have something to do with our form as a side over the past three or four years. Just a guess though...

Well considering we actually have a coach....