Nick Smith

Jumping Jack Clennett

Player Bio from Sydney website:

25 years old, played 100 games, 24 in 2013 and averages 14 touches a game.

Smith is the type of no-fuss footballer so highly valued at the Swans, leading to his elevation to the leadership group in 2012.

Lacking the profile he would be afforded in the main states, Smith still gained recognition outside Sydney last season as he continually shut down the AFL’s best small forwards.

Rarely beaten and a ferocious tackler, he finished sixth in the best and fairest and took out the best clubman award.

Draft history: 2008 rookie elevation (Sydney).

2013 Coaches Call

2012 was really good for Nick Smith. He was our best small defender who took the most dangerous forwards every week, which is not a job that anyone relishes, but he did it with fantastic gusto.

Pre-season has been interrupted with a slight knee problem, but has resumed training.

We hope in 2013 he will continue to take on the opposition’s best.

Edited by Young Dee

He is a gun!

OMG - I have heard this expression all too often - Morton, Newton, Maric etc etc

I would reserve judgement until i see what he can produce at MFC!

• Like 1

So, nothing is decided, there are more than one club in the mix, and a thread with a title that is commonly accepted here as being used for welcoming players that are signed sealed and delivered is acceptable? I would suggest a change of title at the very least and a move to the rumours thread.

Edit: was moved while I was typing :-). But regardless, I would have thought the rumours thread would be a more appropriate place for it.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

Nick Smith would be a welcome addition to our training and playing culture. He would bring that "team first no dick head" mindset which Roos loves. However, pick 2 should not be mentioned next to his name unless Luke Parker is coming with him.

MFC - pick 2

SFC - Smith and Parker

We might have to also give over a later draft pick (e.g.pick 54) or include in the trade Jamar due to the Swans losing Mumford.

It's all rumours anyway, but there's nothing to fret about according to what we've seen. The article clearly says TWO premiership players. Couple that with what Melbourne have said about pick 2 being dangled for a gun midfielder who can play another 8-10 years, and you narrow the list down. This is Sydney's 2012 premiership team:

Sydney B: 2 Rhyce Shaw 25 Ted Richards 29 Martin Mattner HB: 34 Alex Johnson 39 Heath Grundy 40 Nick Smith C: 32 Lewis Jetta 15 Kieren Jack 4 Daniel Hannebery HF: 14 Craig Bird 20 Sam Reid 5 Ryan O'Keefe F: 3 Jarrad McVeigh (c) 37 Adam Goodes 30 Lewis Roberts-Thomson Foll: 41 Shane Mumford 12 Josh Kennedy 24 Jude Bolton Int: 9 Nick Malceski 38 Mike Pyke 10 Mitch Morton 26 Luke Parker (sub)

There are only two that fit the bill: Parker and Hannebery. Keep in mind that Sydney are going to lose some players they would rather keep in the coming years with Buddy's contract and the potential for the scrapping of the extra kitty they currently receive. They might figure it's better to get very well compensated with a rare top-two pick and trust their development, than to lose free agents for little down the track.

I would take Parker and Smith for pick 2, but it will most likely be Smith and Bird which I would want Sydney's first round pick also thrown in for our third round pick.

Yeah Parkers value is probably pick 10-15, Smith value around pick 25. Together that gets somewhere near pick 2. Bird is probably more around pick 20-30 as well so I agree needs the additional first round pick as well to get up to pick.

I'd love to have Smith, would really round out the backline as the stopping small defender but I doubt he'd be a priority over midfielders.

Yeah Parkers value is probably pick 10-15, Smith value around pick 25. Together that gets somewhere near pick 2.

You know i like your work, but you've lost your marbles.

Imagine telling a club we'll trade pick 2 for their picks 12 and 25. They'd nearly die laughing once the deal was done.

• Like 2

You know i like your work, but you've lost your marbles.

Imagine telling a club we'll trade pick 2 for their picks 12 and 25. They'd nearly die laughing once the deal was done.

I should've added given our circumstances. For a normal pick 2 - no where close. But I consider this pick 2 as a pick 4 when you remember Hogan and Martin should be in this draft.

To give us the young midfielder capable of stepping in straight away (Parker) and another best 22 premiership player (Smith) it might get us close. I don't love it but I don't see a lot of alternatives. If Roos (and preferably with advice from Viney and Taylor) are really committed that trading pick 2 for a ready to go player is the right call then we might not get any better than Parker and even that is massive speculation that we could get him. Looks like we can cross Shuey and Rockliff off the list and their aren't a lot of others doing the rounds.

I get the feeling Roos et al may be thinking it is worth sacrificing the potential talent available for pick 2, in order to bring in the equivalent in terms of culture and/or leadership.

We need to bring in more players that will set the standard for others to follow.

Then we can worry about bringing talent into that system.

That's the feeling I get.

If its how they see it, I reluctantly agree.

I'm a blue sky / talent / potential junkie due to years of conditioning as a Melb supporter.

I think the article says a combination of players including 2 premiership players. It could be more and I'm wondering about Jed Lamb who has been starved of opportunities and when he has played can't get a run in the midfield anyway and plays half forward. I also wonder if Smith can play midfield. The other player that they have drafted early was Dean Towers from memory and I was wondering about him. Does anyone know anything? I agree with Master that in our situation two or three mids who can play competitive footy now is the type of solution Roos will go for.

If you look at the make up of Sydney's 2012 premiership team there were only three top 20 picks although there were some F/S. Doubt Roos rates picks much.

• Like 2

I remember reading somewhere Nick Smith rates himself as a midfielder, but way behind the pecking order at the Swans.

The opportunity to be a ball winner at MFC would be an attractive option for him.

Then you have to package it up with another Vic boy, who you could say "Go home and get more $$$"

So that means a Nick Smith + a Hannebery/Rohan/Parker

Hannebery is a pipe dream, Rohan seems to be in favour, but Parker could be replaceable for them with T.Mitchell coming good.

Smith + one of those three would considerably improve our midfield stocks.

I would be really keen on Smith/Parker for pick two and maybe a re shuffle of later picks. If we could then manage to grab Savage with the Sylvia compo, Michie with a late pick/PSD as well as Cross it could be a very successful trade period. Would also consider a rookie spot for Ledger.

Parker

Smith

Savage

Pick 20

Michie

Cross

+ late draft picks

Ledger (rookie)

= big tick for mine

Steve13 agree, all of the sudden we have a midfield that can compete, I would be happy to get Parker, Smith and Cross and keep our second round + compo + third round pick for the national draft and try to get Miles in the preseason draft.

I would be really keen on Smith/Parker for pick two and maybe a re shuffle of later picks. If we could then manage to grab Savage with the Sylvia compo, Michie with a late pick/PSD as well as Cross it could be a very successful trade period. Would also consider a rookie spot for Ledger.

Parker

Smith

Savage

Pick 20

Michie

Cross

+ late draft picks

Ledger (rookie)

= big tick for mine

I agree mate and those all seem very doable in regards to what we can offer their respective clubs for those trades - the problem we have unfortunately is convincing those players to come play for the MFC.

I struggle to see how we could possibly get anywhere near the minimum 95% salary cap next season, especially with Davey retiring and Sylvia gone which should free up close to 10% of our cap. We should be throwing silly money at players because at the moment that is the only way possible we can meet the minimum cap requirements in 2014 an the only way we will attract decent players to our club.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

Parker

Smith

Savage

Pick 20

Michie

Cross

+ late draft picks

Ledger (rookie)

= big tick for mine

I know we will have trouble convincing talent to come on board, but this would be a mediocre return for mine, given we have pick #2. I'd love to have Parker, but I'd want someone else packaged with him. I'd throw some coin at Smith and look at doing a trade with our pick in the early 20s or the Sylvia compo pick, but Parker and Smith for #2 is not something I'd do.

I stated this in another thread, but I'd float Kennedy and Parker for #2 and then look to pick up Smith with a later pick.

I agree. It's particularly non-buoyant. :P But I'd be more inclined to take #2 to the draft if the best we can do is Smith and Parker.

It's about getting what we need at the club, pick 2 may be overs for Smith and Parker but these two fill our needs and we know what they will offer. They will walk into our starting 18 and have an impact on our playing group. Or we hang on to pick 2 get another untried kid, he may be great but we just need to add players that can impact straight away. We all know that get the footy inside our forward 50m arc we will have enough targets to kick a score, are tall backs are good our small backs don't defend well enough. We add Smith to our back 6 and that is then as solid as any back 6 in the comp. You add Parker to our midfield it helps, we keep our second round pick and Sylvia compo, add two young midfielders, get Cross and convince another midfielder to go into PSD.

We can't get all the players we want in one draft or trading period, it is about bringing players in that will help improve us to be competitive, to give our young players every chance to be their best. Then next year we will most likely have another top 6 pick we can add more all of the sudden we have a team that is more than competitive it is challenging.

I would take Smith and Parker for pick 2 any day add in Sydney's 2nd round pick as a sweatner.

• Like 1

Don't understand this trade for players mentality.

Parker is a good role player but he'll never be an elite mid. Same with Smith. Kelly, Aish on the otherhand could become the elite mid we've been crying out for with the correct development.

• Like 1

Don't understand this trade for players mentality.

Parker is a good role player but he'll never be an elite mid. Same with Smith. Kelly, Aish on the otherhand could become the elite mid we've been crying out for with the correct development.

The same elite midfielders as Scully, Morton, Gysberts will be. We need players that can play their role, we are extremely bad at the moment, the club needs to improve next year and by introducing more 18yo kids this isn't going to happen. Jones gets smashed every week, then our next best midfielder is Jack Viney who also gets smashed each week, they need support now and picking up an Aish or Kelly won't give them that.

This rumor could be a mile off but I would love to see 2 Sydney premiership players on our list next year, they might not be fancy players but they will perform and offer so much to our club.