Aish or Martin

Harrisonrules

Talk of what to do with pick two and Roo's public interest in Martin for pick two has disturbed me.

Roos is presumably around for two to three years and maybe sees value in trying to civilize Martin. But after that he is gone and we could have a Scully part 2 problem on our hands.

Pick two is a treasured pick. We don't just want a good midfielder. Premiership teams have elite midfielders. Our search must be for a few elite ones. I know there are no guarantees with any pick, but the conventional wisdom says trust your high draft picks.

With Boyd presumably going at pick one, then that leaves us with the chance to pick the best midfielder out of this years pack.

I want this years best junior midfielder, not a problematic ex tiger.

• Like 2

My cousin who also played in the u/18 SA team said that Aish is very similar to Toumpas, an outside player who doesn't like the rough stuff. He reckons that Scharenberg is the better player and has a much better attitide. Aish has a lot of tickets on himself. Aish may have the greater potential but how many times are we gonna draft potential and come up empty handed!!!

• Like 2

From what i have seen of Aish i'd be more than happy just to take him, Sharenberg or Sheed ahead of Matrin,

Yes Martin is a good option in terms of a much improved midfield in 2014, but he clearly has off field issues, he could cause issues from a cultural perspective.

James Aish, Taylor Adams, Daniel Cross and Zak Jones to me is a very good result in terms of improving our midfield, the nucleus of a quality midfield is there, it requires time and development and depth, not a total rebuild.

Aish, any day of the week.

But honestly, does anyone really think Roos would be offering pick 2 for Martin?

He's worth a lot less due to the headaches that come with his talent.

Richmond are almost beyond the point of no return, if they aren't already - they'll want tiger something for him, but do not have the upper hand in any negotiations.

• Like 1

My cousin who also played in the u/18 SA team said that Aish is very similar to Toumpas, an outside player who doesn't like the rough stuff. He reckons that Scharenberg is the better player and has a much better attitide. Aish has a lot of tickets on himself. Aish may have the greater potential but how many times are we gonna draft potential and come up empty handed!!!

Absolute horse crap. Aish is a very level headed kid and I can tell you this matter of fact. Stop spreading rumour and innuendo.

Martin is a good player.. But he is a forward running midfielder, like Sylvia. We don't need another midfielder who does not run defensively.. Melbourne need to find a gut running wonder kid. Like we did when we drafted Scully, the afl didn't exactly help us out there so it's about time they got behind our club!

I digress back to the debate. We need defensive running midfiders.. It sticks out like dogs balls, when I'm watching.. Our forward line is too big for a Martin to rest in as well..

Edited by PurpleHaze12
  • Like 1

Most people here, including myself don't know enough about Aish. We only hear and read about how great he is via a game of Chinese whispers, by the end we think he's the next big thing or God's gift and like most years regarding the top 3 selections they fail to live up to those expectations within their first two years. It will usually take anywhere from 3-5 years before we see the true signs as to how great they will or won't become (consistency within their game).

Would I take Martin, yes... although if another excellent player like Sloane, D.Swallow, S. Selwood, or Rockliff (age 21-24) with a better work ethic and off field persona is available I would go them.

What idiot wouldn't draft based on potential?

One of the most perplexing statements I've seen on this forum.

Do you even understand what you said?

Aish is very overated.

Luke Dunstan will be a far more better player and long career.

Nup, Aish is a very good player.

Most people here, including myself don't know enough about Aish. We only hear and read about how great he is via a game of Chinese whispers, by the end we think he's the next big thing or God's gift and like most years regarding the top 3 selections they fail to live up to those expectations within their first two years. It will usually take anywhere from 3-5 years before we see the true signs as to how great they will or won't become (consistency within their game).

Would I take Martin, yes... although if another excellent player like Sloane, D.Swallow, S. Selwood, or Rockliff (age 21-24) with a better work ethic and off field persona is available I would go them.

We need balance on the list. If we could pick up an Aish or similar and one of these type players but not Martin I would be happy with that.

Based on what.

Based on watching them both play a few times, and especially based on Dunstan not having any attributes that will make him stand out at AFL level.

If anything, he'll be a big ordinary player.

The hype perplexes me.

My stance is that Dunstan is worth a late 2nd round pick at most.

Aish is a top 5 pick.

Finally someone game enough to say it, agreed! Be wary of the pitchforks :)

I dont understand the hype. Soft stick figure who plays outside when obviously our needs are tough inside mids to help Jonesy and Viney.. Luke Dunstan fit that bill. Strong, a maniac at the contest, leadership outstanding captained SA, can play half forward and kick goals, and jsuch a physical beast.
  • Like 1

Based on watching them both play a few times, and especially based on Dunstan not having any attributes that will make him stand out at AFL level.

If anything, he'll be a big ordinary player.

The hype perplexes me.

My stance is that Dunstan is worth a late 2nd round pick at most.

Aish is a top 5 pick.

Your judging him from the SA carnival where i have had the pleasure of seeing some of his SANFL games on telly when upgraded to the ones. The bloke stands out and will be a very good player. He has the physical body to step straight into round one next year and make an impact and continue it for the rest of his career.

Aish is in the Cale Morton mould of being very outside and soft. Thougb aish will be a far better player then Morton.

Aish can bulk up once drafted.

Has elite agility, good quickness, good decision-making, good skills, decent athleticism, reads the play well, wins his own footy.

Dunstan has a good tank but is a plodder, bigger than other kids his age and should dominate more than he does considering, doesn't win enough of the footy, not great at reading the play,

Kicking underwhelming - nowhere near as good as billed.

A bit like Tapscott with a tank, but not as physically imposing at the junior level nor as good a kick.

What the club needs has no bearing on where Dunstan should be selected, nor is your assessment of what we need correct.