Picks on the table

GIRO

Depending on the player's team, a fringe player could mean a B grader. I would say a B grader is "solid". If we could add two B graders, with potentially a little bit of development left in them, I'd just about take that for pick #2.

Give me an example, or two. And I don't mean deals done other years, I mean as of now.

Give me an example, or two. And I don't mean deals done other years, I mean as of now.

Greenwood and Adams/harper/Anthony. Adams and miles at gws, minchie and crozier at freo, vince and wright at crows, docherty, polec or Lester at Brisbane.

Not match winners yet, but they are mostly younger and developed for a few years, or in the case of vince and Adams, offer a ready to go player now.

"I'll leave that to Roos and his team to identify though."

I wouldn't have picked Kennedy or McGlynn, but Roos had the foresight. I'll back him.

I am vexed about how to trade 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 or just 2 if that is what we get.

Do you hold out for a star for that Pick 2 OR do you trade down grabbing young fringe stars-to-hopefully-be on the way. Or do you simply spend Pick 18, and possibly 19 (if Sylvia goes), on those players and keep that Pick 2 for that blue-chip young talent.

Frankly, trading out of the top 5 seems pretty risky to me, because you are reducing your chance to get a star talent unless, of course, a star is who you traded for...

• Like 2

Given the inherent riskiness in drafting even at the top end, I think we should entertain using the top picks for guys like Selwood and Sloane with potentially a later first rounder in return. Picks one and three (or two with no PP) are a significant carrot.

Risk-weighted, if we could spend two draft picks and wheel in Sloane and Selwood and still maybe end up with a mid-late first rounder and pick 20 or 21 (which we will have anyway) I would take that in a heartbeat. We would instantly have built a competitive midfield with a long-term future and without compromising our ability to draft in. Adams fits this bracket as well.

That said, I hate the idea of spending those picks on anything less than playersof this calibre is fraught with danger and, in my opinion, foolhardy.

I'd be getting on the phone to Hibberd and Zaharakis right now if they are tempted to walk.

I'm sure the Dons, GWS/Sheedy & the AFL, would have already had a conference-call ages ago about the potential of this scenario. a player exodus would be really helpful to an experience-less GWS

See, obviously I'd go both those deals. It'd more likely be pick 3 for Adams, so that GWS could trade that pick for an experienced player. I'd take Shuey or Selwood for 10, otherwise I'd try and package a deal with pick 10 for Gaff. This would still leave us the option of drafting Boyd at PP1. I'd then look at offering Sewell a heavily front-loaded three year contract.

If we get a PP from the AFL I think it will be a must trade scenario as a Mini-Draft type situation... it would be good if it was able to be used either in this years draft, Or for a 17yr old like we used for Hogan.

..... I think this would make it more valuable to all the Teams.

I am vexed about how to trade 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 or just 2 if that is what we get.

Do you hold out for a star for that Pick 2 OR do you trade down grabbing young fringe stars-to-hopefully-be on the way. Or do you simply spend Pick 18, and possibly 19 (if Sylvia goes), on those players and keep that Pick 2 for that blue-chip young talent.

Frankly, trading out of the top 5 seems pretty risky to me, because you are reducing your chance to get a star talent unless, of course, a star is who you traded for...

I had this exact discussion with my Brother this morning and he doesn't wasn't to trade them for the very reasons you mention, i.e. a "star'.

I'm not sure Roos agrees though. It depends on what can be shaken from the tree and how Roos sees them fitting in, as he's very game-plan oriented.

• Like 1

I had this exact discussion with my Brother this morning and he doesn't wasn't to trade them for the very reasons you mention, i.e. a "star'.

I'm not sure Roos agrees though. It depends on what can be shaken from the tree and how Roos sees them fitting in, as he's very game-plan oriented.

I think a lot of it hinges on the PP 'Ben', I'm with your brother on this and also think Roos is making positioning statements letting the AFL know we would be interested in a trade. If we only have pick 2 then it will need to be a very good deal and to my way of thinking Boyd (pick1) is the only one that would shake this kind of deal free. Aish to Melbourne unless something happens with the PP.

• Like 1

No, I get it.

But, jeez, Pick 2 - this is where we should be getting the star players we obviously lack.

You have been banging on about it for a better part of a decade.

I am far more comfortable than ever with the people charged to make this decision but I would want to see an incredible talent prized with Pick 2 - I want one of the players we get to be able to take pressure off Jones in 2014 and be able to get their own footy.

Two B talents for Pick 2 is not what we need.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 4

No, I get it.

But, jeez, Pick 2 - this is where we should be getting the star players we obviously lack.

You have been banging on about it for a better part of a decade.

I am far more comfortable than ever with the people charged to make this decision but I would want to see an incredible talent prized with Pick 2 - I want one of the players we get to be able to take pressure off Jones in 2014 and be able to get their own footy.

Two B talents for Pick 2 is not what we need.

I agree.

I reckon David Swallow really does have the potential to be elite and perhaps even a star. I'm sure we're exploring the possibility of luring him. It makes a lot of sense to me.

• Like 5

I agree.

I reckon David Swallow really does have the potential to be elite and perhaps even a star. I'm sure we're exploring the possibility of luring him. It makes a lot of sense to me.

If this were after his rookie season I wouldn't even think about it - I would just do it.

51 games and is 21 at the start of next season.

However, hasn't averaged more than the 19 touches a game he averaged in his first season.

And I know his role isn't as an outside player but he only averages 10.7 uncontested possies a game. That is =201nd in the league sandwiched between players who get more contested than uncontested footy.

If this were Prestia - I am handing over that Pick 2 very easily...

• Like 2

I agree.

I don't think GC would be that interested in picks at the moment and probably need to top up on experience or fill other positions. He is a good prospect though.

But we're talking PP1 or pick 2 here.

Do you know what Sydney traded to get Kennedy and McGlynn?

Yes, it was probably an aberration. I concede on that one. Any thoughts on who we should target if we were to trade one of the picks? Personally, I'd take Adams if we received a first round pick in return.

Put really simply, does the Roos factor give us any chance of getting two of Adams, Shuey, Swallow, Gaff, Sloane, Thomas or Stokes? Two of those six would be my dream result. Can someone make it happen. We'd be having a bit of fun with our best 22's come January if that was the case.

• Like 2

Put really simply, does the Roos factor give us any chance of getting two of Adams, Shuey, Swallow, Gaff, Sloane, Thomas or Stokes? Two of those six would be my dream result. Can someone make it happen. We'd be having a bit of fun with our best 22's come January if that was the case.

from what everyone is saying you could almost pencil Swallow for pick 2 in, Adams would be my next target, we would need him to say Melbourne and only Melbourne and then probably offer our second round pick and a player to get it over the line.

Maybe pick 20 and Luke Tapscott? he still has a fair bit of upside imo, maybe not capable of running well enough to fit into Roos game style

A PP would make this alot easier, but wait until we have that i suppose.

from what everyone is saying you could almost pencil Swallow for pick 2 in, Adams would be my next target, we would need him to say Melbourne and only Melbourne and then probably offer our second round pick and a player to get it over the line.

Maybe pick 20 and Luke Tapscott? he still has a fair bit of upside imo, maybe not capable of running well enough to fit into Roos game style

A PP would make this alot easier, but wait until we have that i suppose.

Get it done D26!

I think people always look for massive change come trade time and the reality is one significant deal every other year is more the norm. Two big fish (like Adams and Swallow) in one year would be huge. But if it's ever going to happen, it's now. We've got to dine off the Roos honeymoon period vibe for as long as we can. N Jones, Swallow, Adams, Viney, Toumpas, Trengove, Grimes, Sylvia, M Jones, McKenzie, Kent, Blease might just be good enough. But I'm sure I've been down this path before.

Really critical trade period coming up. We live in interesting times.

• Like 1