Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Craig for the top job in 2014

Cheap Seats

I had a fairly long chat to Neil Craig out at Skoda Stadium on the Friday before the GWS game.

With the right assistants and an off-season (with drafts and trades), I feel Craig can certainly get the job done as much as the others. He has a plan already in place for the MFC, though it just comes down to the MFC deciding on whether to trust in NC and his plan, or to go down a completely different path.

As Craig has always said, until the MFC state exactly what they are looking for in regards to the senior coaching position, he won't even consider himself a candidate. He feels there is one way, and one way only to make it work.

It's almost impossible not to buy into it yourself when that man speaks, as he has such a strong convincing personality. But he seemed very serious and quite happy to talk to a member about it.

One question from the media conference on the weekend I did quite like was "How were you able to keep Ablett to only 19 touches, which every other team has failed to do this year?"

Thanks for the contribution alias275 -

I reckon it's a pretty smart position for Craig - we've all seen what happened to the head coach when the wheels have fallen off in the past.

Personally I like Craig and would back him in the improve this list - my opinion is this club needs to keep rebuilding and from what I've heard (I don't know his plan, I've heard he has good vision) he could get the job done and the players from what I've heard will follow.

Anyway I reckon the MFC should take a good look at his plan - If they don't consider NC I give up on this club

• Like 1

As posted in a thread a few weeks back, I have been keeping track of our post-Neeld performances using as a measuring device our score and inside-50s against the league averages.

That league average is SCORE 14.10.94, INSIDE 50s: 51

Now here are our numbers

r20 - 53 - 10.17

r19 - 48 - 12.15

r17 - 50 - 11.9

r15 - 36 - 13.7

r14 - 56 - 15.13

r13 - 45 - 10.9

I have taken the liberty of taking out the 2 AWFUL efforts we had in those 8 games (vs Gee + North). That in itself is a major concern, two complete capitulations out of eight is not good at all.

However, the other 6 weeks when averaged out equate to

ave inside-50: 48

ave score: 12.12.84

so that's 3 inside-50s and 10 points short of the average. NB it is actually more like 7 points, as the average goals is 13.54 rounded up to 14

I really think it needs to be taken into account that this period has also been largely without Jamar, Clarke, Frawley and Dawes which are huge outs.

If it wasn't for those 2 hammerings in r16 and r18 it would be pretty good reading for Craig considering how shizen we were before he took over

Good post C&B

The blokes I've spoken too said the boys were completely outmatched and it was nothing to do with NC against the Roos and Cats

Also interestingly the players rate themselves as pretty fit - they feel they didn't focus enough on footy skills over the pre season - I guess there is some hope there after all - if we get it right in the 2013 offseason

Good post C&B

The blokes I've spoken too said the boys were completely outmatched and it was nothing to do with NC against the Roos and Cats

Also interestingly the players rate themselves as pretty fit - they feel they didn't focus enough on footy skills over the pre season - I guess there is some hope there after all - if we get it right in the 2013 offseason

Spot on Unleash. They lost all intensity in those games because they were simply outclassed and outrun.

Main focus of last pre-season was to get fitter. We were famously dropping off in 3rd and 4th quarters and we have managed to eliminate that this year (we just get flogged all 4 quarters lol).

But Dave Misson said himself it's not going to happen in one pre-season. We have to get up to a 70-80% intensity level in order to train skills that are more effective in a game. It's one thing to look silky and smooth when your coasting, but it's completely different under pressure and when everything is happening so quickly.

Definitely an important pre-season. More important than last.

I think Craig is a gem of a bloke and a great communicator. I don't think he should be our next coach because my belief is that there are better out there tactically. We could do a lot worse, but in my view we could do a bit better, too.

• Like 2

Spot on Unleash. They lost all intensity in those games because they were simply outclassed and outrun.

Main focus of last pre-season was to get fitter. We were famously dropping off in 3rd and 4th quarters and we have managed to eliminate that this year (we just get flogged all 4 quarters lol).

But Dave Misson said himself it's not going to happen in one pre-season. We have to get up to a 70-80% intensity level in order to train skills that are more effective in a game. It's one thing to look silky and smooth when your coasting, but it's completely different under pressure and when everything is happening so quickly.

Definitely an important pre-season. More important than last.

Yeah.

And recruiting 10 midfielders is a start.

I think Craig is a gem of a bloke and a great communicator. I don't think he should be our next coach because my belief is that there are better out there tactically. We could do a lot worse, but in my view we could do a bit better, too.

Not disagreeing Choko, my question back to you would be - How will a good tactical coach help us if we don't have all the cattle we need to compete?

I think 2014 & 15 will still be heavy focus on development - but that is my opinion

Not disagreeing Choko, my question back to you would be - How will a good tactical coach help us if we don't have all the cattle we need to compete?

I think 2014 & 15 will still be heavy focus on development - but that is my opinion

I agree that our list is a far bigger issue than our coach. I said the same about Neeld, who was on a hiding to nothing.

I just think that both Eade and Williams have as good a track record as Craig on development, but are better tactically. Personally, Williams is the way to for mine. All assuming no Roos or Clarkson of course!

I agree that our list is a far bigger issue than our coach. I said the same about Neeld, who was on a hiding to nothing.

I just think that both Eade and Williams have as good a track record as Craig on development, but are better tactically. Personally, Williams is the way to for mine. All assuming no Roos or Clarkson of course!

Fair points Choko

I wouldn't mind snaring one of those two (highlighted) as my 1st prefrance - and I reckon if the Hawks don't win it all Clarkson will get the boot - so there is chance he could be available....

As for Eade, Craig and Choco (apart from the obvious in this thread) in all honesty I wouldn't be disappointed with either of them - I think they all offer something

I just hope the club doesn't fold to pressure and [censored] it up again

Thought he deserves his own thread to discuss his potential for the top job in 2014

I would be very disappointed if the MFC didn't look at him. From what I've heard from the players (I don't have regular contact but I do speak with a few of them occasionally) and they all rate NC highly.

I still think Roos should be the number 1 target, I also think Choco and Rocket should be interviewed. I don't actually care too much who gets the job but I would be very disappointed if the MFC did it half assed and didn't look at NC at all.

For a start ignore the results of 2013 under NC & MN. Injuries, form, lack of confidence etc etc have played a big part in these results.

From the outside NC looks like he has a good relationship with the players - I've been told he has a clear vision and style he wishes to play and is known in the industry as being a good developer of youth. He was solid at the Crows even though he did cop a lot of crissum in the end (but all our candidates have)

He'd also have a leg up on the other 3 candidates as he already knows the playing group from the inside and what it lacks.

Anyway that's all I wanted - there is a lot of talk of Roos, Eade and Choco, I thought NC deserved a bit more of a wrap. I don't know what the club will do (if they appoint a successor as well as Eade, Roos, NC or Choco) but I don't think we'd get it wrong by sticking with NC.

All 4 candidates are solid and I personally wouldn't be disappointed with NC

i agree Unleash Hell.

I cannot see the advantage at all, of getting rid of Neil Craig for Eade.. or Williams... much of a muchness. If we cannot get a topliner premiership coach, then stick with Craig for next year & see then who's about.

Go for Roos or Matthews... or clarko.

if none come our way, stay with Craig.

• Like 2

We will be competitive against Freo. Yes, we are not traveling well ( I'm aware this is one of the great understatements made here) but we've had two matches on the road prior to this and the boys will lift.

Having said that, I'm just formulating a retraction to post on Sunday evening.

Craigy was just what we needed in the interim. There was a severe danger that mass walkouts and mutiny was on the cards if we stuck w/ Neeld. We needed a conciliatory figure and Neil has been it. I always said he should have been the stand in if Neeld was sacked. We also needed an experienced hand who didn't need to learn how to coach. Craigy's job was to stop the club imploding entirely.

I also thought he needed a minor miracle to be retained. That miracle hasn't happened and I think we should look elsewhere. Sadly the GWS and North losses weren't the only reason why (though they were the nail in the coffin). His job as conductor on the Reality Bus sealed his fate (Neeldy was the Otto from the Simpsons like driver).

Craig's chances blew up in smoke the day we let GWS run all over us in the last qtr which followed a 4.4.28 effort the previous week.

You are right. Neil Craig should have definitely kicked more goals, got more center clearances, laid more tackles and just generally played with some more damn passion and heart than he did when he pulled on the footy boots that day.

Spare me, our players are the big issue, 4 coaches in 10 years says so.*

*I'm including Craig in this as a coach, but obviously not including some of the shorter termed care-takers.

Players shouldn't be let off scot free TSFKA but I reckon if we hadn't had admins. that weren't run by people resembling the missing link, we might be in better shape. If you've got a competent admin. there's less places for the players to hide when they are asked why they aren't pulling their weight.

Neil Craig is a mentor within the MFC, i hope he stays in that job.

He is not the person for the Senior Coaching job in 2014 onwards...

I agree with that assessment WYL. However he might end up being the only suitable "available" person for the job in 2014 given the state of things at the MFC atm.

If it meant appointing NC for say a 1 year contract as senior coach until we can shuffle through the list another time around and see some light. That way we at least have a little momentum off rock bottom, a sneak peek at the Hulk and a more competitive forward line. Back line's already well stocked and ready to roll. Then there's the mid field. Bolster that with 2 to 3 additional swaps in the trade (ie., Watts for a decent inside mid, Sylvia for some pace/skills outside etc).

Revisit the coaching landscape at the end of 2014 with a longer term appointment for 2015 onwards.

I would prefer to settle it with say Choco before year's end but things are so quiet from the board/PJ's end i doubt we've made any progress with anyone significant to this point.

Personally i wouldn't touch anyone outside of Choco and Roos given the state we're in. We need a massive appointment/announcement for 2014 but i'm afraid Roos has already gone to the Lions and Choco, well who knows. And no i don't see Choco in the same light as Roos but he's at least 2nd banana from all present candidates IMO and has been to the top before with limited resources.

I don't think this club's in any position to appoint say a Voss, a Simpson or another untried coach.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Neil Craig is a mentor within the MFC, i hope he stays in that job.

He is not the person for the Senior Coaching job in 2014 onwards...

WYL, were struggling to attract talent to the club atmo with our output.

next year we will be a further season more settled, with Hogan & Clark available to add to the forwards, as well as any free agents coming over?

Neil Craig still has a year on his Contract...

IF, we can't get an elite Coach this year, stick with NC for 12 months.

Let Not get caught with eade for 3 yrs or more, or williams.

I would prefer Worsfold or Voss above eade or williams, any day of the week.... apart from the early mature age picks voss took, he's actually done fairly well with their kids development.

• Like 1

WYL, were struggling to attract talent to the club atmo with our output.

next year we will be a further season more settled, with Hogan & Clark available to add to the forwards, as well as any free agents coming over?

Neil Craig still has a year on his Contract...

IF, we can't get an elite Coach this year, stick with NC for 12 months.

Let Not get caught with eade for 3 yrs or more, or williams.

I would prefer Worsfold or Voss above eade or williams, any day of the week.... apart from the early mature age picks voss took, he's actually done fairly well with their kids development.

I've thought that Clarkson would be good for 2015 and to retain Craig for next year, however, I doubt Craig would commit as a caretaker Senior Coach for a full year. I think he'd either want a decent run as Senior Coach for at least a few years or to remain in a Sports Science role.

I like the idea of Craig with assistants the ilk of Adam Simpson, Cameron Ling, James MacDonald and Lenny Hayes.

• Like 1

He seems like a great guy, but I didn't like his attitude of "it's too late in the season to change the structures" after Neeld was sacked. Probably brought upon by personal attachment to the man, not based on observing the horrid football we'd been playing. This admission of defeat is something we can't continue to have at our club.

I'd be happy for Craig to stay in charge until we find the successor WE want

Let's not get pressured in to this decision - Poooort who a lot of people now want the MFC to copy didn't appoint Hinkley until very very late in 2012. There is no rush.

(I want Clarkson)

• Like 1

I don't think CRAIG is up to scratch,at 400 K per yr what was he at the MFC for? Dreadful losses to NORTH and GWS is a major concern.Recently reported on MFC website the club needs midfielders,who is going to go?

Why didn't the existing group of players get decent training,could have picked up Ollie Wines or a Nathan Hvrat both referred to as ball magnets and both have grunt.Yet we chose Toumpas,yes I know he will be a player of the

future like Watts. What about changing the mid's around and getting rid of the dead wood to the reserves.Fitzy at 200cm could play wing,for you youngsters out there SCHWARZ at 196 cm played wing and was good at it.

From what I see and hear about Craig I would be more then happy to see him coach in 2014

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/under-the-pump-demons-boss-fires-up-20130818-2s4nv.html

A lot of people on here want more blood to spill, keep wanting to hold people responsible - I ask you when does the blood letting stop and the rebuilding begin?

Don't look purely at the results/scoreboard - a brand new coach (Eade or Chocco) isn't going to magically turn the results around - just like sacking Neeld was never going to change our fortunes in 2013.

Although I would love a laugh if someone can argue that Craig hasn't met their expectations :)

Look at the Facts people - Craig has done well with the list that he has at hand - he is developing players and implementing a game plan that if you saw in the 2nd qtr against Freo looked like it offered something for the future.

He talks the talk - I'd give him a go in 2014, I reckon this bloke has the respect and the balls to get the job done. I like what I hear and see of Craig...... I don't believe in magic soloutions I believe in hard work and I reckon Craig will deliver

If Craig gets the Job then that's it for me over FOREVER no more memberships.

Too tared with the same brush as Neeld A big ginormous NO from me.

Name for me one player thats shown anything under Craig??

NO NO NO!

Craig sits on his hands. Doesn't do enough on gameday and some of his selections are baffling. I'll point to his selection of Gawn and Fitzpatrick as our stay at home forwards against GWS.

If Craig gets the Job then that's it for me over FOREVER no more memberships.

Too tared with the same brush as Neeld A big ginormous NO from me.

Name for me one player thats shown anything under Craig??

NO NO NO!

agreed

in 9 weeks we have taken 3 huge beltings where we completely lost focus, played stupid, lazy, weak football.. it's enough to show me he doesn't 'have' the players, as they say